Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just stop it!

1234568»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    tzervo said:
    Torval said:

It was mentioned that we should get rid of color name status and I agree. We're equals here. We don't need systems to legitimize our comments. They should stand on their merits not the color of the poster's name or when they created the account or their post count. That would be a great step.

Next, let's get rid of the meta buttons (agree, awesome, LOL, etc). They were a neat idea but they actually discourage participation and encourage bandwagon behavior. If people agree or disagree, let them post. These buttons aren't inherently bad, but I think they are detrimental to our community health, at least concerning participation.

Those things might not fix the reporting/bandwagon tribalism but it could go a long way to keeping the focus on the post and not the status of the poster.
    I wouldn't mind if the user name colors and points went away, I do not see any use for them.

I like the emote buttons. If you get rid of the "user points" there is nothing meta to them and they are a convenient communication tool. If I agree with someone's post I can convey that without repeating them and polluting the thread with redundant information. It saves both mine and the readers' time.

My only issues with the emotes are of practical nature:

1) What do I do if I agree with 80% of the points the post makes but I hate the last 20% ? (the answer here I guess would probably be to actually reply, an emote is no longer enough - but sometimes I am lazy and either "agree" or not depending on the mood)

2) Given that many posters use the "Lol" button both to point out that they found something funny or derisively, I am always concerned about Poe's law when I am putting in a "Lol". I never ever use that button negatively, but I am aware that it will at times be misunderstood by the recipient. I'd rather have two separate buttons for that, or none. It is confusing.
    Yeah, I never use lol in the negative but I'm often wondering if someone will think I'm being derisive.

[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited March 2021
    Delete you can't send angry PM's to people, surely you must realise that? It is bad enough that we effectively sometimes have post wars. Also you are making assumptions about what happened, though that seems the order of the day from everyone here.

Everyone needs to take a step back, this was meant to be somewhat like 'true and reconciliation' not 'duelling swords at dawn'.

Perhaps I was hoping for too much, or maybe we are all going to have to go 'on a journey'? An awfully over used expression.

I certainly think if anyone is banned they should not be able to send PM's, people need a chance to calm down, not carry things on in private.

We were never going to agree on how often you should report other posters, I was only hoping that this would help make everyone realise that we do not all have the same standards of what should be reported and so may well say things which we think do not deserve to be reported. Just remember we do not all have the same idea of what is offensive.

So if you do think it is going too far, post and say so and if someone tells you it is going too far, accept that and say so. Don't start trying to work out who started it first, there is grace and honour in being able to see and admit you went too far.

Now I have set that standard, lets see just how well I can stick to it myself. :)

[Deleted User]YashaX
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Horusra said:
    Plz Heplz Meh I Iz Victimz   WHEN YOU SEE A TROLL PLAY THE VICTIM CARD  image tagged in memesface you make robert downey jr  made w Imgflip meme maker
    and yet this is the most trolling post on this topic.. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    tzervo said:
    Torval said:

It was mentioned that we should get rid of color name status and I agree. We're equals here. We don't need systems to legitimize our comments. They should stand on their merits not the color of the poster's name or when they created the account or their post count. That would be a great step.

Next, let's get rid of the meta buttons (agree, awesome, LOL, etc). They were a neat idea but they actually discourage participation and encourage bandwagon behavior. If people agree or disagree, let them post. These buttons aren't inherently bad, but I think they are detrimental to our community health, at least concerning participation.

Those things might not fix the reporting/bandwagon tribalism but it could go a long way to keeping the focus on the post and not the status of the poster.
    I wouldn't mind if the user name colors and points went away, I do not see any use for them.

I like the emote buttons. If you get rid of the "user points" there is nothing meta to them and they are a convenient communication tool. If I agree with someone's post I can convey that without repeating them and polluting the thread with redundant information. It saves both mine and the readers' time.

1) What do I do if I agree with 80% of the points the post makes but I hate the last 20% ? (the answer here I guess would probably be to actually reply, an emote is no longer enough - but sometimes I am lazy and either "agree" or not depending on the mood)

2) Given that many posters use the "Lol" button both to point out that they found something funny or derisively, I am always concerned about Poe's law when I am putting in a "Lol". I never ever use that button negatively, but I am aware that it will at times be misunderstood by the recipient. I'd rather have two separate buttons for that, or none. It is confusing.
    Yeah, I never use lol in the negative but I'm often wondering if someone will think I'm being derisive.

There is the possibility of misinterpreting the signal. But my point being they discourage conversation and participation. The problem isn't how well you use them, but rather that they suffice for interaction rather than participation. You can like/agree/love/lol a post instead of taking a few minutes to write out that response and then give a short or long reason why. In the spirit of Scot's request what we should be hoping for is greater participation not less or abbreviated interaction.

Removing the color status of a poster will make everyone look the same. Hopefully, removing the response buttons will provide a little incentive to make a reply instead. But maybe I'm hoping for too much and it would just mean less participation overall.
    I'm going to maybe that.

I think if someone has something to say, they'll say it. But sometimes someone's post just requires a "nod" of assent.

I mean, look at my post count. Quite a bit so I don't really have issues posting or responding. But sometimes I feel all that's needed is a 'yeah, I agree.'

Now, others might not think the same but maybe if there wasn't an agree or disagree button they might just leave it and say nothing at all.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    tzervo said:
    Torval said:

There is the possibility of misinterpreting the signal. But my point being they discourage conversation and participation. The problem isn't how well you use them, but rather that they suffice for interaction rather than participation. You can like/agree/love/lol a post instead of taking a few minutes to write out that response and then give a short or long reason why. In the spirit of Scot's request what we should be hoping for is greater participation not less or abbreviated interaction.

Removing the color status of a poster will make everyone look the same. Hopefully, removing the response buttons will provide a little incentive to make a reply instead. But maybe I'm hoping for too much and it would just mean less participation overall.
    I'm going to maybe that.

I think if someone has something to say, they'll say it. But sometimes someone's post just requires a "nod" of assent.

I mean, look at my post count. Quite a bit so I don't really have issues posting or responding. But sometimes I feel all that's needed is a 'yeah, I agree.'

Now, others might not think the same but maybe if there wasn't an agree or disagree button they might just leave it and say nothing at all.
    Not going to name any names but I think the shorthand reactions should be an earned privilege and not the default. There should also be something between full access and bans where the reaction privileges are removed. Again, not going to mention any names but I think we all know who uses reactions to troll.
    GdemamiScotSovrath[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited March 2021
    Mars_OMG said:

Proudly permabanned from funcom.

I posted for many years on the Funcom boards about what's wrong, what needs improving, and debated them and other players.

If you can't get your point across without a permanent ban... you're doing something very wrong in your approach.  It's not a badge of honor mate. ;)
    GdemamiSovrathBrotherMaynardTheocritus
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    tzervo said:
    Torval said:

I'm going to maybe that.

Not going to name any names but I think the shorthand reactions should be an earned privilege and not the default. There should also be something between full access and bans where the reaction privileges are removed. Again, not going to mention any names but I think we all know who uses reactions to troll.
    You just gave me a horrible thought, what if the adbots realised they could all Awesome each other?
    Iselin[Deleted User]Theocritus
    edited March 2021
    Mars_OMG said:
    Mars_OMG said:

I posted for many years on the Funcom boards about what's wrong, what needs improving, and debated them and other players.

If you can't get your point across without a permanent ban... you're doing something very wrong in your approach.  It's not a badge of honor mate. ;)
    combo combing . Funcom didn't like people pointing out that cheat cheat. instead of fixing it, they just ban anyone who talked about. 
    Combo cancelling I think you mean... it was discussed widely.  What are you talking about?  And lots of players defended it, more of a minority thought it was a cheat.. hence debated.  I think it was how you said it, because they did not ban anyone for just bringing it up.

TOS did state you will be banned if you post hacks/exploits or 3rd party apps that hack.  Example, how to duplicate items and gold.  So if it was something else, you were to report it directly to funcom...  not post it on their forums.  But you could in a general sense complain about players using these things on the forums, just not provide the "how to" part or specific player names.
    YashaX
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited March 2021
    tzervo said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Iselin said:
    Admit it. it's just golden envy :)
    What special effect do you have if I equip you? I'm still epic, not legendary :(
    It does not matter what gear you have, only how skilfully you wield it! :P
    In the Golden Legendary forum we have a lengthy post about this...
    Err..  nice weather today isn’t it?
    Iselin[Deleted User]Sovrath[Deleted User]TheocritusAsheram[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    tzervo said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Iselin said:
    What special effect do you have if I equip you? I'm still epic, not legendary :(
    Don't tell him about the clubhouse.
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188Sovrath[Deleted User]AsheramScot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Here is where one could skillfully wield that scalpel and yell OFF TOPIC Derailment!!!

Its a good thing we are all learning to be more tolerant here!  Win-Win!
    TwistedSister77Asheram

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited March 2021
    Mars_OMG said:
    Mars_OMG said:
    Mars_OMG said:

combo combing . Funcom didn't like people pointing out that cheat cheat. instead of fixing it, they just ban anyone who talked about. 
    Combo cancelling I think you mean... it was discussed widely.  What are you talking about?  And lots of players defended it, more of a minority thought it was a cheat.. hence debated.  I think it was how you said it, because they did not ban anyone for just bringing it up.
    here we go again. Combo canceling is not combo combing.. I'm sure you know HenryX who shows combo conceling

Combing is when a player uses both weapons at the same time, meaning they are doing2 combos at once with different weapons. So A Barbarian using  2h and dual wield at the same time
    @ 2:21

If you posted the hows, yes you'll get banned because that was a known exploit.  But, no thread derail.. no more about this.  I gave you an insightful reply, and if you did not post the hows... and were civilized.  Then sorry you were banned... often times there is more to the story though.  

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Scot said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    tzervo said:
    Torval said:

I'm going to maybe that.

You just gave me a horrible thought, what if the adbots realised they could all Awesome each other?
    Awesomebots Assemble!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]TheocritusUngoodAsheramScot
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Iselin said:
    tzervo said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Iselin said:

Hmmm us epics are gonna start spamming our posts  too so we can get in this exclusive club!
    Iselin[Deleted User][Deleted User]Asheram
    edited March 2021
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    tzervo said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Iselin said:

Hmmm us epics are gonna start spamming our posts  too so we can get in this exclusive club!

Shh, that's the secret trick. Make posts that get a reaction. Make a lot of them. The more people click those buttons the quicker you get there.
    I found out today, that if I edit a post... it adds a post count.  Legendary... here I come!!!

Edited  :D
    [Deleted User]Asheram[Deleted User]
    edited March 2021
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

Shh, that's the secret trick. Make posts that get a reaction. Make a lot of them. The more people click those buttons the quicker you get there.
    I found out today, that if I edit a post... it adds a post count.  Legendary... here I come!!!

Edited  :D
    I don't think it is specifically post count that does it, but rather the meta buttons below the post. Those add "XP" to your profile. You want people to click those, except for WTF. It doesn't add a point I believe.

That was one reason I used to click the buttons on others posts so much. Now I don't so much because of reasons.
    Crap... ok, time to start using Rodney Dangerfield jokes in my posts to Powerlevel!

"I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous… everyone hasn't met me yet." o:)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]
    edited March 2021
    Mars_OMG said:

not worried about it, like I'm not worried about people going off topic in forums. Sometimes going off topic happens.

So what happened to:

I did report him because he trolling, that was and is the protocol here, or have you forgotten who built those rules ? Give you guess, the person was killed in a car crash in Europe heading to her new elevated job title. Someone I spent countless private message discussing those same rules.

I've been here for over a decade so don't for one second think I will be some peepod push over cause someone broke the rules. And I'm sincere that I wish kano the best and I do feel sad for him for the tremendous disaster that was Trion's end.

There's a level of hyprocisy that rising from this thread, and it's sickening.

or

I will never, NEVER apologize for following the rules and trying to help keep the forum in a shape that new posters feel comfortable to engage this community.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reminder from forum rules:
    Topic Hijacking
    • Posting comments within a thread which severely disrupts the original conversation is prohibited at MMORPG.com.

I do not point this out to be a dick.  (I know I have a natural talent for that).  I point it out because I want you to see that its not always the best policy to be the forum police when we ALL (me included) live in glass houses.  I mean you even called us all hypocrites but I hope you see the irony here.

Lets all just try to be a bit slower to hit that report button and engage each other.  Mistakes happen, people have bad days, people say stupid shit, people derail threads.  Life goes on.  And if someone really bugs the hell out of ya, I just ask that each of us really consider whether we can just ignore that person and move on instead of creating a tit-for-tat game of who can report who.   Nobody wins from that.

YashaX

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    tzervo said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Iselin said:

Hmmm, I have been trying for 11 years its not working.
    edited March 2021
    I don't actually mind the 'like' system as much as I used to, when I did the thread on 'does it put off new guys', even new guys did not seem to be bothered about it. For me it was not about being egalitarian, it was just were new people put of by it; but still I am hardly for it. Also being able to tell new posters by colour is very helpful when doing welcomes or spotting adbots.

If we were to ask for anything it would be to clamp down on the adbots as a priority which to me is more of an issue.

I hope this threads helps us reach a more collegial atmosphere, but I do realise if you come for the cut and thrust you need to be prepared for some. Lets just try to not take it too far.

I only regard my threads as a total success if we get apost from Gdemami who seems to regard himself as the ghost in the machine, alas it looks like I have missed out there. ;)