Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Magic the Gathering Online dead?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys,

Is MTGO basically a dead game?  There don't seem to be any official forums, and the fan forums I found are dead AF.  Did everyone move to Hearthstone?

Thanks!

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    To save a real long story,yes it is dead.
    It died pretty much as soon as greed set in.They canned the company that made the game and that was looking after bug fixes and stuff and could not properly handle it themselves.
    The funny thing is this,people soon realized it was way too costly for a digital version when you wouldn't have the physical cards.WOTC would sell you for a small fee the entire set,IF you actually had the entire set "which was very costly to attain".

So fast forward and looking at Hearthstone,we have a crappier cheaper version of and yet people support it.In MTGO you could trade cards,HS Blizzard does not allow it for obvious GREEDY reasons.MTGO had MP/team mode HS does not,MTGO offered mini tournament style Drafts and such ,HS does not and as i stated you could get the physical version of the cards if you attained the whole set,Blizzard offers nothing of the sort.
    So as you can see HS i greedier, offers less yet people are supporting it in the millions.It proves my point that HS is only a success because people know there will be lots of players to find a game.
    Scot

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Yeah, Blizzard really can do no wrong, it seems.  OK, thanks for the info.  Maybe I will check further into Hex.  If I'm not mistaken, it allows card trading.
  • freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Although some moved to duelyst and yugioh and pokemon had a slight resurgence due to pokemon go a while back. Some people play hex as well, while many moved to hearthstone, MTGO still has plenty of players compared to most online trading card games. The game is quite fleshed out compared to most other card games, but the problem is the card/pack/time compared to other TCGs. The others are easier to get into so they will appeal to a fairly wide audience. The game is not dead, but many casual players moved on to more casual games.
  • AndurinAndurin Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Yeah, it's shame as we prob aren't going to see any real TCG's with the polish of HS gain popularity.  LIke the poster above said MTGO was the full game online.  This including trading, draft, tourneys and just about every play style you could get in real life.  

Hex is decent but it's just not good enough to attract a large enough of an audience. 
    Scot
    Andurin said:
    Yeah, it's shame as we prob aren't going to see any real TCG's with the polish of HS gain popularity.  LIke the poster above said MTGO was the full game online.  This including trading, draft, tourneys and just about every play style you could get in real life.  

Hex is decent but it's just not good enough to attract a large enough of an audience. 

Yeah, see, that's what I'm afraid of about non-HS options.  That I'll end up waiting for a half hour in the matchmaking queue, because nobody plays.
  • sirchivesirchive Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Check out Eternal. It's available on Steam. Designed by a bunch of former MTG pro players. Best of the new crop of digital CCGs. Hearthstone is good dopey fun but has simplistic shallow gameplay while Eternal is designed for players who like a fair bit of complexity. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I have nothing against the popularity of Hearthstone but if you want these types of games to thrive you should support games like Duelyst and Hex simply because they are not so expensive and the design seems innovative and interesting albeit not as polished as Blizzard's.

I cannot really play these games I seem to be unable to learn the basics and am actually deathly afraid of adding another genre to my already full game schedule. I love the cards and looking at them and even though similar to the digital books you lose the tactile sense when you do not have the physical cards it's still very pretty. 

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    edited January 2017
    Nah MTGO is still doing well. Alot of players left though when WOTC decided to "upgrade" to their V4 even though it was way worse than Version 3; forcing many players to selling their cards and move on(Since cards retain real value unlike any other online TCG). Many of those sellers were also upset over the fee increase to $20 to transfer online cards to real life. although those people were just playing the system since online cards are cheaper than IRL.

One other thing that caused many people to quit is the removal of formats such as Two Headed Giant causing a outrage from people like me that loved it, but a shrug by their main target, the drafters.
    ---
    Overall there has been a player base hit over the last couple of years(Return to Ravnica saw a huge increase online in a while) due to a terrible interface, greed by targeting drafters(pisses me off and I draft/sealed alot), and casual players that don't want to spend real money leaving for F2p options like HS.

I love MTG and its quite hard to play irl so online is a great option where I can find a draft or constructed any time of the day. Thesis paper short; no its still doing good despite tons of leavers.

Isilith_Tehroth on MTGO if anyone wants to play.

MurderHerd

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    MTG all across the board is doing fugging amazing and has been skyrocketing for the past 2 1/2 years, I work in 4 game stores and FNM is packed every damn Friday night in every single store. If you want to get into again this is most definitely the time!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

Damnit, where is the D&D TCG?
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Seemed OK in July.   I just stopped when I realized how silly the whole thing felt, and how broken MTG feels (unless you only play standard or draft).   I mean 1 turn KOs are popping up even in modern now.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Planeswalkers is what turned me off and judging how at the same sort of time the game died WOTC did not see it is beyond me.
    However fast forward seems like the HERO theme is more the in thing but in all honesty,good quality does not sell games,the perception of popularity is what sells games and why Blizzard  always does well selling any piece of junk.

Both HS and mtgo were massive money sinks,Blizzard seems to have people fooled yet they offer NO trading,while mtgo allowed you to trade,that is a big difference.
    Far i am concerned and i took TCG very serious way back starting with mtg,is that the stack is much needed to actually consider this pvp gaming.HS is a non interactive game which imo allows for a much higher p2w design because you could for example in mtgo just use a cheap counter to stop a big powerful expensive card play but in HS you get to...umm sit there and just watch as buddy loads up 2x 12/12 Questing Adventurers then conceals them ...gg thanks for playing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Wizardry said:
    To save a real long story,yes it is dead.
    It died pretty much as soon as greed set in.They canned the company that made the game and that was looking after bug fixes and stuff and could not properly handle it themselves.
    The funny thing is this,people soon realized it was way too costly for a digital version when you wouldn't have the physical cards.WOTC would sell you for a small fee the entire set,IF you actually had the entire set "which was very costly to attain".

So fast forward and looking at Hearthstone,we have a crappier cheaper version of and yet people support it.In MTGO you could trade cards,HS Blizzard does not allow it for obvious GREEDY reasons.MTGO had MP/team mode HS does not,MTGO offered mini tournament style Drafts and such ,HS does not and as i stated you could get the physical version of the cards if you attained the whole set,Blizzard offers nothing of the sort.
    So as you can see HS i greedier, offers less yet people are supporting it in the millions.It proves my point that HS is only a success because people know there will be lots of players to find a game.
    Hearthstone is greedier?

I have spent $0 on Hearthstone. $100's on MTG...basically the same style of game...

MTGO is dead because it is a money sink, just like paper MTG.
  • JakkGrimmJakkGrimm Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Hey guys,

Is MTGO basically a dead game?  There don't seem to be any official forums, and the fan forums I found are dead AF.  Did everyone move to Hearthstone?

Thanks!
    You might check this out. https://company.wizards.com/article/press/making-moves

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    edited March 2021
    Post edited by Neanderthal on