Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just stop it!

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited March 2021
    Guys you may not have read every post in this thread, I have. What I see is posters who say this is all about the rules, but then use terminology that may be against the rules when talking about other posters. I see people who seem too ready to report and even in a thread like this seem to ready to label others with anything that comes to hand.

We also have recriminations against each other about things which may or may not have been done. The fact is we don't know every post someone has made, we don't know about all the PM's, we don't know how people who got a ban reacted to the mods. But everyone seems to be assuming they do know. Though that's a common mistake that keeps social media churning, we come to conclusions no matter how little data we have.

There seems to be an awful lot of everyone else is to blame, other posters, the mods, but never me. We all sometimes reply in a way we should not, this is down to all of us. I am not seeking some kind of forum utopia here, this forum lives on it cut and thrust, it just does not have to be personnel.

I am not sure the nature of the forum has anything to do with how many posters we have, social media hit every forum. But it may do, all we might ask there is that people give some leeway to new posters, they are not your old sparring partners like we are.

I welcome the frankness of those who said why they report, all I ask is did you really need to do it? I tend to quote and ask the poster if they think this sort of language is needed. If you have already said things you should not it is hard to do that (and yes I have been there) but you could post to say this is going too far and you both need to calm down. That does require people to accept some of the blame themselves and this is the era of never accepting blame for anything, we have returned to it always being about the other person. It does take two to tango.
    GdemamiSlapshot1188AlBQuirky[Deleted User]Theocritus
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    @MMOExposed
    To catch you up: I don't recall Wiz being banned recently, that may be a new development, haven't seen anything . RemKano's most recent ban was evidently for telling someone to seek professional help because he claimed to like the new Magic game. And as I recall, Delete's last ban was for telling a poster that he wasn't smart enough to make his own purchasing decisions.
    Petty? Perhaps, but here we are.

There are things happening behind the scene too here which I'm aware of... Like sending very insulting private messages to various other posters is also a bannable offense.
    Sometimes you may think a person got wrongfully banned but in reality he's even worse in private than he is on the forum.
    Just a little hint... ;)
    Now see, the day is just getting started and I've learned something. I don't think I knew we could send private messages. This thread keeps delivering the hits.
    YashaXAlBQuirky

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    @MMOExposed
    To catch you up: I don't recall Wiz being banned recently, that may be a new development, haven't seen anything . RemKano's most recent ban was evidently for telling someone to seek professional help because he claimed to like the new Magic game. And as I recall, Delete's last ban was for telling a poster that he wasn't smart enough to make his own purchasing decisions.

There are things happening behind the scene too here which I'm aware of... Like sending very insulting private messages to various other posters is also a bannable offense.
    Sometimes you may think a person got wrongfully banned but in reality he's even worse in private than he is on the forum.
    Just a little hint... ;)
    Now see, the day is just getting started and I've learned something. I don't think I knew we could send private messages. This thread keeps delivering the hits.
    Hopefully ignore blocks private messages. That would easily solve that problem.  Of course if it doesn’t then that would be a pretty big hole.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    My first ban here was from a post on the off topic forum, in which I said "The OG Halloween movie wasnt good and that the remake was better". 

I want to make a website just to ban you for that statement, too!
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Mars_OMG said:

I hope Kano is doing well  and that he can turn what ever is happening in life around in positive way, because this thread , this single thread is exactly what Kano doesn't need and I beg mmorpg/com to lock it. 

Sigh.  Here we are actually having a somewhat adult conversation with multiple perspectives... and still someone has to try and shut it down.  Amazing

Well, there is a point to be made. IF RemKano is as narcissistic as we believe, s/he's got a hard on for all this attention from another account :lol:
    WhiteLantern

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited March 2021
    @MMOExposed

Just a little hint... ;)
    Well be careful sending private messages, 
    Recently while I was banded, I sent a message to someone calling me a liar in public forums, where I couldn't defend myself. HONESTLY, All I said was basically cut the crap in posting open forums..... SHE turned me in and I got banded..... 

I understand you all know me, and I'm capable of saying worst..... I swore it was nothing like that at all, just a stern cut the crap. 

"Obliviously".... she is doing even more behind my back, if someone else knows about it !

Everyone, watch your back WITH THIS ONE !!! 

Now I'm sure I'll get a band for this one, as she will turn me in again !
    Their are some real nasty people here, discisued as nice people. 

If this is like this, I don't care about a band.
    AlBQuirkyGdemamiTwistedSister77
    @MMOExposed

Just a little hint... ;)
    Recently while I was banded, I sent a message to someone calling me a liar in public forums, where I couldn't defend myself. HONESTLY, All I said was basically cut the crap in open forums..... SHE turned me in and I got banded..... 

I understand you all know me, and I'm capable of saying worst..... I swore it was nothing like that at all, just a stern cut the crap. 

"Obliviously".... she is doing even more behind my back, if someone else knows about it !

You should both use the Ignore function and never have to interact again
    AlBQuirkyWhiteLantern[Deleted User]Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Torval said:
    Long-winded rant, surprise. :)

Everyone has their personal stance, but regardless whether you're a forum warrior righting wrongs, trolling and goading, just posting your opinion, take a hands-off approach, or whatever; the active community is dwindling.

We can blame one group or another, the community, or the staff, but the reality is, in my opinion, it's a sum of all those parts. Blame doesn't matter but the fact is our environment doesn't seem to attract new posters who stick around; and those who've been here for a long time continue to dwindle.

Look at the thread Mars posted about Taera/Laura's passing. There are a lot of familiar names that no longer post. Some have been banned, others just don't participate anymore. And that's sad. Every necro thread I read is like that and I leave feeling sad about the hundreds that no longer participate.

It was mentioned that we should get rid of color name status and I agree. We're equals here. We don't need systems to legitimize our comments. They should stand on their merits not the color of the poster's name or when they created the account or their post count. That would be a great step.

Next, let's get rid of the meta buttons (agree, awesome, LOL, etc). They were a neat idea but they actually discourage participation and encourage bandwagon behavior. If people agree or disagree, let them post. These buttons aren't inherently bad, but I think they are detrimental to our community health, at least concerning participation.

Those things might not fix the reporting/bandwagon tribalism but it could go a long way to keeping the focus on the post and not the status of the poster.

I guess some big media company owns the site now so who knows if they're even interested in spending the money and time to improve the format. My inner luddite wishes we could return to the simpler days of phpBB and the like.

Honestly, I'm not hopeful. I figure things will continue this way, so whatever.

While I agree with getting rid of color-coded names and maybe even those buttons (though I don't see the harm keeping agree/disagree) I think the reason there isn't a lot more participation is that there isn't much going on in the MMORPG space.

This is one of the few places I enjoy talking about games and I like the community, but there isn't a whole lot to talk about that we haven't covered before.

That's why games like Valheim are such a huge boon as it gives us an actual game to discuss instead of retreading topics we have tread for years and years.

There are probably way more people who frequent this site but who do not participate in forums. that's sort of a known for any website that has a forum.

Now take away a lot of new mmorpg or mmorpg "like" games and what's the point for some people?

BloodaxesAlBQuirky[Deleted User]Mendel
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited March 2021
    @MMOExposed

Just a little hint... ;)
    Recently while I was banded, I sent a message to someone calling me a liar in public forums, where I couldn't defend myself. HONESTLY, All I said was basically cut the crap in posting open forums..... SHE turned me in and I got banded..... 

You sent me a message and I did not report you. I just want to make that clear right now I did not turn you in.

I still think you're lying and trying to get sympathy on these boards but I never reported you for that message. Someone else did that and I suspect it had something to do with the  personal insults you are fond of flinging.

I would normally ignore this rubbish but in this case I won't. I merely left the conversation which you can do in a PM situation and the message is gone. I chose not to reply and I never reported you. Believe it or not but your opinion isn't my concern but I want to clarify this.

The striking thing is this that you are of the opinion that what you wrote in that message was bad enough to warrant a ban. Think about that .
    AlBQuirkyWhiteLantern[Deleted User]SovrathUngood[Deleted User]TwistedSister77
    Chamber of Chains
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    Long-winded rant, surprise. :)

Everyone has their personal stance, but regardless whether you're a forum warrior righting wrongs, trolling and goading, just posting your opinion, take a hands-off approach, or whatever; the active community is dwindling.

We can blame one group or another, the community, or the staff, but the reality is, in my opinion, it's a sum of all those parts. Blame doesn't matter but the fact is our environment doesn't seem to attract new posters who stick around; and those who've been here for a long time continue to dwindle.

Look at the thread Mars posted about Taera/Laura's passing. There are a lot of familiar names that no longer post. Some have been banned, others just don't participate anymore. And that's sad. Every necro thread I read is like that and I leave feeling sad about the hundreds that no longer participate.

It was mentioned that we should get rid of color name status and I agree. We're equals here. We don't need systems to legitimize our comments. They should stand on their merits not the color of the poster's name or when they created the account or their post count. That would be a great step.

Next, let's get rid of the meta buttons (agree, awesome, LOL, etc). They were a neat idea but they actually discourage participation and encourage bandwagon behavior. If people agree or disagree, let them post. These buttons aren't inherently bad, but I think they are detrimental to our community health, at least concerning participation.

Those things might not fix the reporting/bandwagon tribalism but it could go a long way to keeping the focus on the post and not the status of the poster.

I guess some big media company owns the site now so who knows if they're even interested in spending the money and time to improve the format. My inner luddite wishes we could return to the simpler days of phpBB and the like.

Honestly, I'm not hopeful. I figure things will continue this way, so whatever.

While I agree with getting rid of color-coded names and maybe even those buttons (though I don't see the harm keeping agree/disagree) I think the reason there isn't a lot more participation is that there isn't much going on in the MMORPG space.

This is one of the few places I enjoy talking about games and I like the community, but there isn't a whole lot to talk about that we haven't covered before.

That's why games like Valheim are such a huge boon as it gives us an actual game to discuss instead of retreading topics we have tread for years and years.

There are probably way more people who frequent this site but who do not participate in forums. that's sort of a known for any website that has a forum.

Now take away a lot of new mmorpg or mmorpg "like" games and what's the point for some people?

If it wasn't for valheim, I would barely post as well.

There just isn't anything to talk about mmo wise in the near vicinity that interests me.
    SovrathTheocritus

cheyane said:
    @MMOExposed

Just a little hint... ;)

You sent me a message and I did not report you. I just want to make that clear right now I did not turn you in.

I still think you're lying and trying to get sympathy on these boards but I never reported you for that message. Someone else did that and I suspect it had something to do with the  personal insults you are fond of flinging.

I would normally ignore this rubbish but in this case I won't. I merely left the conversation which you can do in a PM situation and the message is gone. I chose not to reply and I never reported you. Believe it or not but your opinion isn't my concern but I want to clarify this.

The striking thing is this that you are of the opinion that what you wrote in that message was bad enough to warrant a ban. Think about that .
    Directly coming off a one weak band, within two hours get banded again after not posting anything on open forums ?...... Something is strange about this.

Now, still saying I'm lying ?..... Your not that nice humble person, you make yourself out to be. 
    BloodaxesGdemami
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    For the people new here that are catching up to what this post is about, 
    I'm one of the people the OP is referring too. 

My convictions are rock solid !..... A mans word is their honor. 

My relevance here is simple.  Same as it had always been, and always will be.  

First and second Generation games are mmorpg's....

The past 10 years we have games online !!!.... I'll say that again for the people trying to ignore the elephant in the room. "Games online", where people play solo and others are simple fillers and not needed.... THEIR SOLO GAMES !..... I don't care if you like them. infact good for you, you have something to play :) 

BUT THEIR NOT MMORPG'S. 

Cash shops should not be !!!!!..... They run ramped and killing all three generations, If you have a gambling addiction seek help !.... This is not the place for another addiction. I could link many Youtubes talking about the down hill slide mmorpg's are going through.

You know it is already, you don't need links.

Me on a personal level,
    I hate hypocrites....Say one thing in one post, then say something else in another...... A man/woman should have integrity. 

I hate squealers, I hate people that wait for someone to be banded so they could come out of the wood work and talk about them.... where's your integrity ?

Important:
    My original postings are not an attack on a person, JUST MY STATEMENTS, my convictions. If you disagree that's fine.... Instead I get attacked, and usually only by the SAME FEW !...... Again I'll repeat that... THE SAME FEW !

I'll admit, I put up a nasty defensive posture when attacked, but understand I'm provoked, always the SAME FEW !!! 

If the "overall community" want's me to leave I will, but I'll not leave on my own, because the loud SAME FEW !

Maybe I'll get a band for this..... "But I get to keep my integrity" 

Your original posts aren't always characteristic of your subsequent ones. Though you like to present yourself as a victim you are at least as prone to attack others as they you, often simply over an expressed difference of opinion as opposed to a prior personal attack on their part as you suggest.

You have displayed consistency in your views, but can't think of anything showing integrity, especially when part of that consistency is portraying yourself a victim when you as often as not are the aggressor.

I expect any that truly want you to leave have already put you on ignore, effectively making you gone from their perspective. I think it reasonable to assume those that haven't either want you to remain or don't care either way.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Methinks the hammer is rising.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

edited March 2021
    Yes,
    Hammer is falling... unfortunately on me..... I don't think I'm gonna survive this. 

I'm on a down hill slide on this one.
    Gdemami
    Yes,
    Hammer is falling... unfortunately on me..... I don't think I'm gonna survive this. 

Just use ignore...  There is no “winning” an internet slap fight and you have the tool to remove conflict from your visits.

A great machine once said:

WhiteLanternGdemami

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I'm here for a good time, not a long time.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    laserit said:
    I'm here for a good time, not a long time.
    Then no love you long time for you.
    Ungood
    Weird how eager people are to be tattle tales these days.  I’m all for rules to maintain civil discussion and to curb digression into ad hominem nonsense.  That said, I’ve been on the internet long enough to know that it’s mostly not about maintaining civility.  It’s totally about scoring imaginary points and dunking on someone by ‘punishing’ them. 

At least I’m sure you’ve solidly convinced yourselves it’s for a righteous cause. Can’t wait for your tiktok videos!  Real heroes click report buttons!  

Personal conduct has largely declined, especially online. That it isn't about maintaining civility and increasingly removed from such shows that to be so, as it was once the norm.

I'm not surprised more is reported. There is more to report.
    [Deleted User]Mendel
    Yes,

Why on you? I'd be surprised if anything you said in this topic would result in that, so far anyway.
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Weird how eager people are to be tattle tales these days.  I’m all for rules to maintain civil discussion and to curb digression into ad hominem nonsense.  That said, I’ve been on the internet long enough to know that it’s mostly not about maintaining civility.  It’s totally about scoring imaginary points and dunking on someone by ‘punishing’ them. 

At least I’m sure you’ve solidly convinced yourselves it’s for a righteous cause. Can’t wait for your tiktok videos!  Real heroes click report buttons!  

Personal conduct has largely declined, especially online. That it isn't about maintaining civility and increasingly removed from such shows that to be so, as it was once the norm.

I'm not surprised more is reported. There is more to report.
    I dunno.  The more I think about it, the more I seem to remember most internet 'communities' throughout history being cliquish and full of person grievances and ban drama.

I kinda had a 'memberberries moment when that thread popped up about Project Gorgon.  All that inner circle drama and mod nonsense - all while maintaining that 'it's my platform and I can do what I want to' attitude is what pretty much the essence of what internet community was 'back in the day'.

Go look at BBS archives from the 90s.  If your internet community lives long enough to need mods, the likelihood of mod drama is almost certain. 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Mars_OMG said:
    I will never, NEVER apologize for following the rules and trying to help keep the forum in a shape that new posters feel comfortable to engage this community. It's like Wonder Woman says in the Snyder Cut : "Hate serves no purpose."
    Overzealous Self Styled Forum Police that will seek to report anyone for minor infractions, make that Forums about the most Unwelcome place that could ever exist, the only gamers that would remotely touch such a forum would be those looking for a discount ticket, or free giveaways, that the main sight might offer, and then only lurk till something arose that they could take advantage of, as posting ones feelings or opinions would pose too great a risk to get reported and banned by the overzealous self styled forum police, and thus lose out on future free stuff. If the main sight didn't offer anything good, they would just move along, as there was nothing to be gained on that platform.

Think about it.

If you need a solution to a problem, As opposed to bothering a forums, gamers are more akin to look it up on Youtube or check out the popular guide sites for that game.

With the rise of social media platforms, like Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, TicToc, Discord, etc, forums are a dying social media platform, sadly, 

So, if someone hits up a forum and sees that it's full of people that announce they are going to force the rules down your throat, that's the red flag to keep on trucking.

Just saying on that one, if your goal was to try and make people feel welcome, saying you will report them and get them banned if they do not behave, is not really the way to make that happen.

IMHO.
    GdemamiYashaX
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Plz Heplz Meh I Iz Victimz   WHEN YOU SEE A TROLL PLAY THE VICTIM CARD  image tagged in memesface you make robert downey jr  made w Imgflip meme maker
    Iselin[Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    tzervo said:
    Torval said:

I wouldn't mind if the user name colors and points went away, I do not see any use for them.

I like the emote buttons. If you get rid of the "user points" there is nothing meta to them and they are a convenient communication tool. If I agree with someone's post I can convey that without repeating them and polluting the thread with redundant information. It saves both mine and the readers' time.

My only issues with the emotes are of practical nature:

1) What do I do if I agree with 80% of the points the post makes but I hate the last 20% ? (the answer here I guess would probably be to actually reply, an emote is no longer enough - but sometimes I am lazy and either "agree" or not depending on the mood)

2) Given that many posters use the "Lol" button both to point out that they found something funny or derisively, I am always concerned about Poe's law when I am putting in a "Lol". I never ever use that button negatively, but I am aware that it will at times be misunderstood by the recipient. I'd rather have two separate buttons for that, or none. It is confusing.
    Admit it. it's just golden envy :)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited March 2021
    Iselin said:
    What special effect do you have if I equip you? I'm still epic, not legendary :(

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Bloodaxes said:
    Iselin said:
    What special effect do you have if I equip you? I'm still epic, not legendary :(
    It's a secret. We don't share the details with the unwashed masses. 
    Bloodaxes[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED