Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just stop it!

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    We are all adults here, editorially speaking, and should be able to post opinions without crossing the border between criticism and personal attacks. Even when this fails people in general could have slightly thicker skins and absorb an insult from time to time, ToS notwithstanding. @Brainy called out toxic snowflakes and hit the nail on the head. It just appears to me that as time marches on there are more and more people that go through life apparently looking for things to be offended by.

...  and @Scorchien called Kano a pussy  ... I just don't know what to say ...  
    Some posters you know who you can slog it with while others can be hypersensitive. 

We also have some people that have admitted to reporting posts that they feel break the rules, so, while two posters may have been slogging it with each other, it was just someone random that reported them.

In these cases, it's hard to know, so even if you get a ban, the report may not have come from the person you were engaging, but someone else that took it upon themselves to play forum police, or worse yet, it was someone that butthurt by what someone said to them a while back, and has been trolling the forums waiting and looking for a reason to report them to get them banned, and no doubt people are in fact that petty.

In the end,  yes it comes down the mods, but a lot of times the mods are not paid, moderating a forum is not their day job, it's a side hustle. In a place like this, no doubt it is a side hustle, so, they have penitence limits.

And as others have, sometimes, people get chummy with the mods, so they can get away with anything, for all we know, some of the posters here might be mods.

Nature of the beast.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Mars_OMG said:

There's a level of hyprocisy that rising from this thread, and it's sickening.

I have seen no hypocrisy in this thread at all.  I may disagree with what others are posting but I believe they truly believe what they are typing.  It's actually refreshing to put the cards on the table and have a real open conversation about something we can all have different (though personally held) beliefs on. 
    WhiteLanternKyleranYashaXGdemamiAlBQuirky

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2021
    Iselin said:
    Mars_OMG said:

I have a tear in my eyes for kano's safety and welfare. 

The personal attacks in his last post were directed at you. Were you the one who reported him? Are those alleged tears, tears of regret?

The worst he would have faced is a short time ban. He got butthurt and chose to delete his account.
    HE did it to HIMSELF. That's called refusing the consequences of one's actions. At least to me.

Ive been banned 30 times since 06 here ...

Cant keep me away :)

Altho im certain at times some would rather it that way
    YashaXAlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited March 2021
    Mars_OMG said:

So blanket insult at the thread participants in general calling them  hypocrites. 

Does that give you immunity to being banned for flaming because you're insulting many and not just one?

You seem to be all about the forum rules, so how does that work?
    Slapshot1188KyleranScorchienYashaXGdemamiAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Mars_OMG said:

So blanket insult at the thread participants in general calling them  hypocrites. 

Does that give you immunity to being banned for flaming because you're insulting many and not just one?

Exactly.  Sure someone can press the report button and make the case you just did.  Claim they were personally offended.  I stand by my earlier post to Kyleran thats it’s more about who you respond to than what you say.  Some would see that line as a “chance to get even” from some prior issue and report it.  Sadly, for all we know maybe someone did already...

AlBQuirky

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Iselin said:
    Mars_OMG said:

Exactly.  Sure someone can press the report button and make the case you just did.  Claim they were personally offended.  I stand by my earlier post to Kyleran thats it’s more about who you respond to than what you say.  Some would see that line as a “chance to get even” from some prior issue and report it.  Sadly, for all we know maybe someone did already...

I have to admit I was tempted :)

But like I've said many times before I only report racists shit and the odd spammbot here and there that makes it through the filters.

The whole issue of blanket insults to many vs. specific ones is interesting though, isn't it?

There have been several cases of it in this thread which is why I made my "Festivus" post earlier. 
    [Deleted User]GdemamiAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Mars_OMG said:
    Iselin said:
    Mars_OMG said:

I have a tear in my eyes for kano's safety and welfare. 

The personal attacks in his last post were directed at you. Were you the one who reported him? Are those alleged tears, tears of regret?
    Makes no difference to me, when a person is hurting, they are hurting regardless. 

I did report him because he trolling, that was and is the protocol here, or have you forgotten who built those rules ? Give you guess, the person was killed in a car crash in Europe heading to her new elevated job title. Someone I spent countless private message discussing those same rules.

I've been here for over a decade so don't for one second think I will be some peepod push over cause someone broke the rules. And I'm sincere that I wish kano the best and I do feel sad for him for the tremendous disaster that was Trion's end.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/421340/general-do-you-remember-taera

Great link, I noticed three people on it with perma bans including Lokto, an old EVE acquaintance from back in the day. 

It also highlights my previous assertion that it was far more common back then to get a perma ban, think they might have had a three strikes in a single year and you are out for good rule, which clearly isn't true today.

I too remember Taera and worked with her several times to overturn moderation actions on my posts. (My sarcastic humor wasn't always appreciated or understood by one mod in particular.)

[Deleted User]YashaXAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Mars_OMG said:

I have to admit I was tempted :)

But like I've said many times before I only report racists shit and the odd spammbot here and there that makes it through the filters.

The whole issue of blanket insults to many vs. specific ones is interesting though, isn't it?

There have been several cases of it in this thread which is why I made my "Festivus" post earlier. 
    Oh I got it :)

I really just wish we’d all take a second look at what we post AND what we report.  I’m sure the mods would appreciate the break too!

AlBQuirky

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited March 2021
    I will not respond to specific posts because what I wrote about earlier in this thread about 'baiting' a certain person here may still be trying to do after reading their last two posts..

Here's a quick description of how baiting works...

1. Person 1 writes things that are are so outlandish that it's requires a response because what is being said is so far out of touch with reality that NOT responding goes against the very fabric of our being which is the need to inform and help each other. To leave such unjustified remarks uncorrected is unthinkable to anyone with even a drop of decency.

2. Person 2 is "baited" when they respond with remarks based heavily on emotion due to the pure madness being spouted by Person 1. Person 2 assumes Person 1 was writing/speaking sincerely because even the most hardened/jaded of us even sometimes want to see/assume the best in people.

3. Person 1 uses what was a sincere response by Person 2 which may have been harsh/crude as ammunition( a weapon) against them and that was proven in this thread.

Apparently a certain person here had some long formed 'assumptions' going back many years about Person 2 that they've had for a long time that only came out in the open now AFTER that person was banned. Isn't intentionally baiting someone you have an admitted dislike for some type of forum crime on some forum somewhere? Isn't that the classic definition of "Trolling"?

Wikipedia - "a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet. This is typically done by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog), with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion"

To those who will say "It's his fault for responding" think for a moment what would happen to online discussion if everyone just stopped responding to everyone for fear of repercussion. The real question is why do people go on the internet if their feelings get hurt by random strangers in discussion forums. Why even inject themselves into a 'discussion' if when a person responds with harsh words they immediately feel like it's their right to take away another person's right to voice their opinion.

Also want to point out that many years ago Old Kano and I had a 'discussion' that carried on for a few days or possibly a week about Trove. During that time not once did he insult me because I backed up everything I was saying with video proof. Now think about what was being discussed about Magic Legends and the video proof was all over Twitch with Streamers who are even on this site saying what he was saying.

Slapshot1188UngoodYashaXGdemamiAlBQuirky
    edited March 2021
    Some folks aren't getting an important point. There are rules to everything in life, both written and sometimes unwritten but understood by any reasonable person.

Break those rules and you may have to face whatever consequences are permitted and yes, the punishments may not always be consistent or evenly enforced.

So it's really quite simple, follow the rules, being careful to bend but never break them and it's very unlikely you'll catch a ban, at least not on this site.

Also a fact, it doesn't matter if you agree with this policy, or why people might use it to get others removed, just like in FFA PVP if the providers allow something to be used, it's all just part of the gameplay.

Now, over on the Pantheon reddit I caught a three month ban for a first time offense.

They didn't specifically point out exactly what the offending text was, but the rule cited included several factors including a catch all at the end, "for being an asshole."

Yeah, that had to be it, good thing there's no such rule here or I'd have been gone years ago. (With a lot of good company)

Cheers

IselinWhiteLantern[Deleted User]GdemamicheyaneAlBQuirkyVrika

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Some folks aren't getting an important point. There are rules to everything in life, both written and sometimes unwritten but understood by any reasonable person.

Break those rules and you may have to face whatever consequences are permitted and yes, the punishments may not always be consistent or evenly enforced.

So it's really quite simple, follow the rules, being careful to bend but never break them and it's very unlikely you'll catch a ban, at least not on this site.

Now, over on the Pantheon reddit I caught a three month ban for a first time offense.

They didn't specifically point out exactly what the offending text was, but the rule cited included several factors including a catch all at the end, "for being an asshole."

Yeah, that had to be it, good thing there's no such rule here or I'd have been gone years ago. (With a lot of good company)

We, or at least I, get what you are saying.  But what I am saying is that WE ultimately have control over what we report.  My neighbor (in real life) has pool parties frequently. They play music, have kids jumping in the water or on a trampoline until very late sometimes. Heck it was past midnight once.   I could be “that guy” and report them... but in reality it’s a minor inconvenience so why do it?

That's how I look at this stuff.   I see it as one giant community and that community is diminished each time someone is silenced.  Even the crazy ones ;)

KyleranGdemamiAlBQuirky

Kyleran said:

Also a fact, it doesn't matter if you agree with this policy, or why people might use it to get others removed, just like in FFA PVP if the providers allow something to be used, it's all just part of the gameplay.

You just told me in another thread that you "play both sides" so get over trying to be 'everybody's man' for dem sweet forum points.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    Mars_OMG said:
    Iselin said:
    Mars_OMG said:

Thats my opinion, I didn't force it on anyone else, unlike others poster who forced and demanded that Magic: Legends must be bad, because they said so. If you can't or won''t see that, then that is on you, not me.

Yeah. We get it bud. Your shit doesn't stink especially when you spread it evenly around the room. It's only other people's shit that stinks.
    KyleranSlapshot1188YashaXGdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

BruceYee said:
    Kyleran said:

You just told me in another thread that you "play both sides" so get over trying to be 'everybody's man' for dem sweet forum points.
    Well no, this wasn't an example of me playing both sides, more an explanation of how the tools of forum PVP might be wielded and avoided.

But I gave you an awesome for remembering what I said, something I often fail to recall.

;)
    AlBQuirky

Mars_OMG said:
    Imagine standing in the street with a sign that say "fuck the your game" and then to start hitting cars in traffic and smashing headlights , ripping antennas off, jumping on the hood...... imagine those same sign holding people cry when they get runover. 

I follow the rules the best I can, and expect them to followed by others. if that is to much toi ask, maybe the lot of you all should go back to WoW in my opinion  

OK.  That is a very bad example.   The example here would be:  Imagine someone standing off to the side with a sign and I have to meaningfully step over to read it.  On that sign it says "F Game___".   It's also an electronic sign and I have a clicker in my pocket that allows me to just never see that sign.

That is a closer analogy.   Certainly nothing even close to the rest of your suggestion about running people over or causing physical damage in a riot situation.

As for your last sentence which I bolded.  I guarantee that if I reported that it would get actioned.  That is clearly antagonistic baiting/trolling.  I would never hit that button, but you should understand that exactly what you typed there is clearly actionable by the letter of the rules.  To not be a hypocrite one could almost suggest it would be right for you to self report :)

GdemamiAlBQuirky

On that note.  Maybe we could get back to the good conversation and not get this dragged down.  I for one honestly am enjoying the open discussion!

Sovrath[Deleted User]GdemamiScotAlBQuirkyTwistedSister77

The guy who admitted to getting another forum poster banned cause his feelings were hurt is now telling us we all need to "go back to WoW"...

When you can't win an argument try to get them banned instead..

When people call you out on your BS try to get the thread closed..

There's a pattern here somewhere...
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]ScorchienYashaX[Deleted User]GdemamicheyaneAlBQuirkyTwistedSister77
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    On that note.  Maybe we could get back to the good conversation and not get this dragged down.  I for one honestly am enjoying the open discussion!

Reported for enjoying yourself :)
    Slapshot1188AlBQuirky
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    I don't post here as much as I use to, but I've never reported anyone.  Even though I don't post as much, I do read the forums regularly.  There are a couple of posters here (some have posted in this thread) who I regularly show my wife. I do it to point out that there are people who are even more condescending than I am.  
    CryomatrixBeansnBreadSandmanjwAlBQuirky
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Saddly the MMORPG world is pretty dead...dying games with little of interest to talk about...the great active days of the AC vs EQ flame wars, when the future looked bright, are gone.  Now it just seems a rehash of tired threads that do little to attract new people.  Also Twitter has stole the forum world's thunder.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    The site is much better than it use to be. The Mods were blatant shills that would ban you if you spoke negatively of their game they were playing at that time. I think really only the true mmorpg fans are left on this site while all the casuals quit the genre or are on reddit where they ban people there instead.
    BruceYee[Deleted User][Deleted User]GdemamiYashaXAlBQuirky

MurderHerd

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Mars_OMG said:
    Iselin said:
    Mars_OMG said:

Thats my opinion, I didn't force it on anyone else, unlike others poster who forced and demanded that Magic: Legends must be bad, because they said so. If you can't or won''t see that, then that is on you, not me.

and on that note, have a great life.

I think this is a prime example of a poster using the report function to cut off criticism about a game they like. 
    GdemamiSlapshot1188AlBQuirky
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Kyleran said:
    Here is the thing. I been around here for a while. Yes I took a long break. I dont know much about this Delete user. But I will say this. the ToS can be abused by staffs of the forums. 

Some here may not remember, but Guild Wars 2 Guru was big violator of this, when their own mods came here and was using personal information because they were mad about people cheering about the official forum announcement.         

thats not the only example. Some other cases of this can be seen here as well. I personally hate the overhype that most MMO developers did back in the day. I would criticize them often.         

Because of that, I been banned from MMORPG.com a few times. Even deleted my account once over the toxic behavior I seen from the Guild Wars 2 hype community here and the abuse of the system.  

GW2 is one of my favorite and most played MMOs today, Yet it seem like back then any criticism was a ban.         

Darkfall early on was just like this as well. Could be banned for saying anything negative about that game. 

All my interactions from this is what made me avoid speaking on SWTOR. I saw what it was going to be and the flop that would happen, but I just stayed quiet and kept that mostly to myself. since I really didnt care about that game being a success or not.

But it goes even deeper than just the criticism of overhyped new MMOs.

I remember with Masssively.com did that article in which they said all games with an online element are MMOs. I early on started to see that mentality creep over here with the MMORPG.com staff, which started calling non MMOs as MMO, instead of just labeling them as non MMO content that the staff wants to talk about. Was no need to be misleading back then. 

We started seeing more and more people of the community start adopting this misuse of the term.        

I came up with a simple solution. A new acronym for the MMOs (since everything with online play was being lumped in and called MMOs here). The new acronym would help separate the old MMO model from the new definition. 

I called the old model "SCMORPGs" (Soft Cap Multiplayer Online RPGs)

and the new definition being used, I called "HCMORPGs" (Hard Cap Multiplayer Online RPGs)

I got banned for that. I never forgot that.  
    There's more to your story but I'm not sure what.

I have slagged on GW2, SWTOR, Darkfall on multiple occasions over the years, never having a kind word for any of them yet not even a warning.

As for arguing over what is a MMO / MMORPG most here know this is one of my favorite crusades / dead horses / hills to die on where I have regularly rebutted or criticized both the staff and any poster who challenges my narrow definitions, yet again, no bans.

I've even come up with more specific names like MORPG, Multi Player Online RPG, and the like, yet here I stand.

Despite rumors to the contrary, I have no relatives who run this site, so why do I have almost no issues on the very same "subjects" which you claim happened in your case?

Maybe, just maybe, it's all about how you present your arguments, and over the years I've learned quite well how to say what I wish without crossing the line.

The only warnings or bans I've ever received is when I directly attacked a poster (called someone a special snowflake once, got me a few days off) or challenged their mental health. (Seeing as I view most gankers as psychopaths) 

There was a day when the rules were more strictly enforced and the moderators made their presence well known. 

The past few years they are so rarely seen or heard from I was so surprised to read a comment by one who's been around awhile I sent a PM welcoming them back to the forums.

No reply, but no ban either. ;)
    I dont know why you didnt get banned for those things, but you know what? I bet the mods here had connections with the mods over on GW2 Guru, which hated me.       

Here is one of the rules in the MMORPG.com terms of service that often gets used back in the day to ban people that criticize those big named overhyped MMOs back then. 

Trolling
    • Posting excessive negative comments or baiting others to respond in a negative manner is considered trolling on the MMORPG.com forums.
      For example: If there is one game that you did not enjoy, voicing your opinion is encouraged. Posting this opinion in every thread concerning that game to the point that it disrupts all other conversation is not tolerated.
    https://www.mmorpg.com/disclaimers

This here is the rule that can be interpreted at will. Whats to one person thats considered Trolling may not be the same to another. But when you give people authority to interpret this with their own bias fanboi eyes, you leave room for the system to be abused.  

Guild Wars 2 been one of the most overhyped MMOs on this forum. Back before the release, you couldnt say anything that was counteractive to the Arena Net narratives for that game. 

(yeah fast forward to a few years after release, we see a lot of those Manifesto talking points never lived up to the hype and I was 100% spot on)

While all of this went on, the Blind GW2 fans were allowed to spread all over the rest of the forum spreading this GW2 design philosophy without challenge, because those that did would get labeled as trolling (using the above definition). There were probably so many examples of this, but most of it is lost from the forum conversion. 

You know whats funny as well. I remember my first ban here as well, which further proves my point. It was a mistake on the mods yes, but I know what really was going down as the mod that banned me was also from GW2 guru. 

My first ban here was from a post on the off topic forum, in which I said "The OG Halloween movie wasnt good and that the remake was better". Was banned for trolling for that thread and had to email the staff to correct that.  

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Mars_OMG said:
    YashaX said:
    Mars_OMG said:
    Iselin said:
    Mars_OMG said:

and on that note, have a great life.

I think this is a prime example of a poster using the report function to cut off criticism about a game they like. 
    Interesting point of view. Kind of hard to go back and look over the orginal discussion since the user kano, deleted his account which also deleted his comments. 

I think it is very interesting all of the white knights trying to run me down,- or is it just 1. who knows at this point.

Here was my post :

"
    Regardless of how the cash shop is implemented, the core of the game is actually pretty well done and I find a bit more enjoyable then PoE.

The biggest thing and the most difference thing is the card system. 

our character is a planeswalker which means they can untap all mana, draw a card which would be random and have first strike. This works well in a more linear fashion for Magic Legends.

The combat is pretty different from what I've played in PoE as the cards are more volatile in what can be casted at any given time. It may seems like a dumb idea on the surface, but it is enough  for me at least to be more alert on what buttons I'm pushing over other arpg's that are basically a button mash. 

Cards are your class tree in many ways. Instead of grinding away for another node , it's atleast for me more fun too grind away for a new "random" card. Quoted because that is a huge difference in my opinion is that nothing in combat is entirely concrete. The only concrete buttons are q,e, spacebar.

There's a lot of cool things in Magic Legends and those tiny Cryptic details do shine through as a player gets deeper into the sub systems. The subsystem showcase is after the first jungle map. 

All in all, this is a great game, it won't be one for the elitest arpg snobs, but plenty for those like myself who putt around the arpg space  

"

for reasons unknow to me, for kano, it was impossible for me to have this opinion, it then turned into flaming and trolling. Again, "He" deleted his account, all of my words are still up to read.

Here is the post , you can still read remsleep/kano in the quotes

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/493417/magic-legends-impressions-how-does-the-magic-arpg-hold-up-in-the-early-hours-mmorpg-com/p2

I will never, NEVER apologize for following the rules and trying to help keep the forum in a shape that new posters feel comfortable to engage this community. It's like Wonder Woman says in the Snyder Cut : "Hate serves no purpose."
    Your motivation for reporting him wasn't because he broke the rules or because what he said was hurtful, you just took an opportunity to punish him for expressing an opinion different to yours.
    GdemamiSandmanjwSlapshot1188Ungood
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited March 2021
    The gist of the topic is, whether you agree or disagree with the way people report others, behave yourself and you won't get reported.

Insulting others won't make your point any better. Learn from your mishaps and move forward.
    Sandmanjw[Deleted User]AlBQuirky