Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need to know from the players

zanglerzangler Member Posts: 11

well...ive played several MMO's but got bored with them after a while (year or so) and i played a trial of EVE and really liked it...however, i was told that i could never really be a 'player' because of the lvl system...i basically could never catch up to people...does that still hold true? have they changed anything for new players to get them up to speed? anyway just looking for some advice on if i should play or not.

im NOT looking to be some "uber pwner" or anything...just be competative and have fun. thanks guys.

Comments

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

Originally posted by zangler

well...ive played several MMO's but got bored with them after a while (year or so) and i played a trial of EVE and really liked it...however, i was told that i could never really be a 'player' because of the lvl system...i basically could never catch up to people...does that still hold true? have they changed anything for new players to get them up to speed? anyway just looking for some advice on if i should play or not.
    im NOT looking to be some "uber pwner" or anything...just be competative and have fun. thanks guys.

EVE is not a level based game.  What that means is that, unlike other games, a character with 40m SPs, even in a good ship, can be easily killed by 3 players with less than 10m SPs who know what they are doing (unlike say EQ2 where level is everything to the extent that you are only allowed to fight people within a certain +/- of your level).  SO no, you will never catch up with the guy who has 40m SPs, but you don't need to catch up to him in order to kill him and be competitive with him.
  • daemonbarberdaemonbarber Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by zangler

Skill training in EVE is based around the theory of diminishing returns ... basicly - if you get 80% functionality in 1 week of training, that last 20% will take atleast a week.

So while no, you'll never catch the guy with 30M sp - it doesn't matter.  If you spent just a few months specializing on one ship class, you'll be just as good as he could be in that ship class.  The only difference is, he's got more options then you.  (oh - and very few skills offer a bonus that significant - in most cases you're looking at 5-10% extra for double the training time of the first 4 levels).

More info: http://www.mmorpg.com/hdl/hdlScrollClick.cfm?fId=237

From Oveur's Dev Blog on the topic:

Here is the breakdown of skillpoints of active characters on Tranquility:

between 0 and 1 million skillpoints: 358353

between 1 and 2 million skillpoints: 14035

between 2 and 3 million skillpoints: 8149

between 3 and 4 million skillpoints: 5826

between 4 and 5 million skillpoints: 4696

between 5 and 10 million skillpoints: 14859

between 10 and 15 million skillpoints: 9875

between 15 and 20 million skillpoints: 7861

between 20 and 25 million skillpoints: 6194

between 25 and 30 million skillpoints: 4373

between 30 and 35 million skillpoints: 2568

between 35 and 40 million skillpoints: 1313

between 40 and 45 million skillpoints: 257

between 45 and 50 million skillpoints: 4

between 50 and 55 million skillpoints: 7

between 55 and 60 million skillpoints: 1

Not as many high skillpoint players after 3 years as you would have
    thought. We should also remember, that time is in favor of new players,
    the average EVE player only stays for 7 months.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

The key in EVE is to specialize in something you feel you would like to do. The only difference between players who have played longer is that they are specialized in more areas of the game. There is no way you can use all your specializations at one time. So a player who has played a few months can compete with a player who has played for years. He just doesn't have as many options.

Edit: I see someone beat me to the post. That's what you get when you get distracted while posting. lol

I always found those numbers interesting.  Oveur's point was that there are many, many more low SP players than high SP players, and that's true.  People tend to think when they get ganked by someone in low sec or 0.0 space that the person is an uber character with 20m SP+, but in reality they are probably someone with 7m SPs who has focused training and learned how to kill things (which you can learn with low SPs).

And yes I know one person in the 42m SP area, and another in the 45+ area, both corpmates of mine ... and they get ganked from time to time as well :P

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by daemonbarber

From Oveur's Dev Blog on the topic:

Here is the breakdown of skillpoints of active characters on Tranquility:

between 0 and 1 million skillpoints: 358353

between 1 and 2 million skillpoints: 14035

between 2 and 3 million skillpoints: 8149

between 3 and 4 million skillpoints: 5826

between 4 and 5 million skillpoints: 4696

between 5 and 10 million skillpoints: 14859  

between 10 and 15 million skillpoints: 9875   <------ My Friend

between 15 and 20 million skillpoints: 7861

between 20 and 25 million skillpoints: 6194

between 25 and 30 million skillpoints: 4373    <------ Me

between 30 and 35 million skillpoints: 2568

between 35 and 40 million skillpoints: 1313

between 40 and 45 million skillpoints: 257

between 45 and 50 million skillpoints: 4

between 50 and 55 million skillpoints: 7

between 55 and 60 million skillpoints: 1

Not as many high skillpoint players after 3 years as you would have
    thought. We should also remember, that time is in favor of new players,
    the average EVE player only stays for 7 months.

He is my equal in our respective battleships of choice. The difference is that I have a larger variety of skills trained to higher levels and thus, more options of what ships to fly or fit, but he is just as deadly as me in combat, and now he is rounding out his skillset to become more versatile.
  • MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by Novaseeker

I always found those numbers interesting.  Oveur's point was that there are many, many more low SP players than high SP players, and that's true.  People tend to think when they get ganked by someone in low sec or 0.0 space that the person is an uber character with 20m SP+, but in reality they are probably someone with 7m SPs who has focused training and learned how to kill things (which you can learn with low SPs).

And yes I know one person in the 42m SP area, and another in the 45+ area, both corpmates of mine ... and they get ganked from time to time as well :P

Ouch that's a s'pensive clone.

Originally posted by Minsc

Ouch that's a s'pensive clone.

Lol, no kidding!  He's loaded, though, so he doesn't get a lot of sympathy from me ...
  • LardarzLardarz Member Posts: 55
    I have 42m skillpoints on one character and he gets completely owned nearly all the time.
    Could be something to do with out '5 man gang takes on 50 ship carrier supported gatecamp' strategy however.

/me adopts Fast Show voice

'Playing Eve is very much like making love to a beautiful woman...
    6 months of hard work and building up loyalty points then your wallet disappears in one bang.'

-----------------------------
    'Argueing with an Eve player is like argueing with a religous nut. '