Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just stop it!

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    BruceYee said:

I have a crazy idea... remove all name colors and points... maybe we can go back to a time on this site where what is being said is not affected by the need to increase forum status... and maybe also remove post count cause that before ranks/points was also something that was used to determine status. It sucks to even suggest but apparently some have become so committed to earning points that no conversation can go even slightly outside 'their' boundary of what they deem to be acceptable.

Doesn't suck at all I"m all for it.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Sovrath said:
    BruceYee said:

I have a crazy idea... remove all name colors and points... maybe we can go back to a time on this site where what is being said is not affected by the need to increase forum status... and maybe also remove post count cause that before ranks/points was also something that was used to determine status. It sucks to even suggest but apparently some have become so committed to earning points that no conversation can go even slightly outside 'their' boundary of what they deem to be acceptable.

This site needs a cash shop.

P2W
    QuizzicalSandmanjwdragonlee66UngoodScotAlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Sovrath said:
    BruceYee said:

P2W

Actually, they did ask us about a subscription that would remove ads.

I'm all for it.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]ScotAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Kyleran said:

There's more to your story but I'm not sure what.

I have slagged on GW2, SWTOR, Darkfall on multiple occasions over the years, never having a kind word for any of them yet not even a warning.

My hypothesis is that it says more about the people you were engaging.  I would bet the house that if you went over those same posts you reference and cut/paste some of those same words to other posters you would be insta-reported.  IMHO it's not that the moderation is any different it's that only a select subset of posters rely on reporting as their way of "winning" an argument.  I would bet my house that 80% of reporting is done by 20% of the community and likely much more lopsided than that.

lahnmirKyleranAlBQuirky

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Kyleran said:

I have slagged on GW2, SWTOR, Darkfall on multiple occasions over the years, never having a kind word for any of them yet not even a warning.

My hypothesis is that it says more about the people you were engaging.  I would bet the house that if you went over those same posts you reference and cut/paste some of those same words to other posters you would be insta-reported.  IMHO it's not that the moderation is any different it's that only a select subset of posters rely on reporting as their way of "winning" an argument.  I would bet my house that 80% of reporting is done by 20% of the community and likely much more lopsided than that.

So you're saying it's perhaps more a matter of who is out to get you and less about the topic at hand, perhaps so.

I'll agree most people don't use the reporting tool, but I'm definitely in the 20%, I wield it like a scalpel when the situation warrants.

AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

So you're saying it's perhaps more a matter of who is out to get you and less about the topic at hand, perhaps so.

I'll agree most people don't use the reporting tool, but I'm definitely in the 20%, I wield it like a scalpel when the situation warrants.

Yup.  I'm 100% convinced of that.  We even have people that have reported replies to ME and gotten posters banned.  When I see that I always reach out and let the person know it certainly wasn't me and that the last thing I would ever want to do it shut them down.  One person even really appreciated it and invited me to their gaming community  :)

KyleranAlBQuirky

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Reporting might make the mods aware of a certain post and I have no doubt that some people are abusing that. However the mods still have to agree reporting on his own does nothing.

And while I have no doubt that there have been some examples of mods abusing this by and large I don't think that's true. Jjust as Kyleran said I'm pretty sure it's mostly how things are being said. I have also been very critical of several games specifically saga of lucimia and darkfall. The only warning I've received was on a specifically attacked a poster.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    BruceYee said:

P2W

Actually, they did ask us about a subscription that would remove ads.

I'm all for it.
    I supported that too still do bring on the subscription. Currently on my phone the another dimension of combat is taking up my screen
    AlBQuirky
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Sometimes when people get banned, it looks completely random to me, likely in at least some cases because I didn't see the since deleted offense that drew the ban.  Sometimes I saw what they did to get banned before it gets deleted and think, well of course he got banned for that.  Caffynated was an example of the latter.

If you want to know what happened to remsleep, I have a pretty good guess:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/493417/magic-legends-impressions-how-does-the-magic-arpg-hold-up-in-the-early-hours-mmorpg-com/p2

What is currently post #30 in the thread (fifth on the linked page) is mine, but quotes a remsleep post that has since been deleted.  A moderator tried to clean up the offending post, but missed a place that it was quoted further back in the quote chain.  You can see it by clicking "show previous quotes" on post #30.  The whole quote chain has Mars_OMG saying why he liked a game, and then remsleep responding with purely personal attacks.

It's been several years since I got a moderator warning on this site.  About a decade ago, I'd get one or two per year, and the posts that drew them often seemed pretty random.  In at least one case, it was a troll who made a ridiculous thread and then reported everyone who replied to disagree.
    AlBQuirky
    Vrika said:
    @scott I disagree with the root cause. The problem is people that are so insecure that they feel compelled to report folks for posts they disagree with.  People need to be less worried about trying to control what others say and take control of what they see via the ignore function.  In all my time here there was only one person that needed to be put on that list and never in a million years would I want that person banned from the site. 

As for pseudokano, I’m sure he just made another account to try and start fresh.  After the way he whiffed on Valheim I think he wanted yet another fresh start.

I think you're wrong on why people report others.

It's sometimes done because they hate someone and want to hurt him. Other times it's done because they want to protect someone or the community as a whole - especially parents might be inclined to report a post that they think might be harmful to children. Yet other times it's done because the person reporting believes that the rules do good, believes that he's doing good thing and helping by reporting.

But I think reporting is only rarely done because someone is insecure. A person who is insecure or uncertain usually does not tend to call the moderator's attention to the issue. It's the people who feel secure who have no qualms about calling extra attention because they still feel secure after calling for it.
    Different people report posts for different reasons.  Nearly all of my own reports are for blatant spambots.  I have seen cases where a blatant troll reported everyone who disagreed with him.
    AlBQuirky
    Mendel said:
    If people were allowed to delete other people's accounts for the slightest offense, this (and all social media) would be desolate, barren wastelands devoid of intelligent life.  Oh wait, is that a self-fulfilling prophecy?
    One could argue that a lot of social media is already a barren wasteland devoid of intelligent life.  Ever seen Twitter?
    SandmanjwMendeldragonlee66WhiteLanternScotAlBQuirky
    Brainy said:
    Their is someone on this site that I get into heated arguments with lately.  A lot of subjects we agree on, sometimes we have passionate disagreements that probably go over the line according to these snowflakes.  I never reported them, and respect them for not reported me.  I am adult enough to realize that sometimes people say things in a passionate argument. (to this person I hope there is no hard feelings)
    How do you know that the other person never reported you?  One certainly hopes that the mods don't just ban everyone who ever gets reported, but actually look at the post to determine whether it's a violation of rules.  Maybe the other person has reported you several times, and in every one, the mods looked at it and said, that's not a reportable offense.
    SovrathAlBQuirky
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Anyone but me a tab bit perturbed that Rem was outed as Kano.

I feel that ruined the whole reason to take a new identity to start with, and IMHO, if I ha went through the effort make a fresh start account and people outed me as my old account, I would delete it as well, as it no longer serves the purpose I made it for, and maybe try again (Maybe not) and the third time around, make sure that I didn't tell any of the yahoo's that outed me, who I really was.

Just saying on that one.
    Pro tip, if you really want a fresh start you'll need to make a conscience decision to change your posting style / personality, especially if you have been a prolific poster.

He made no effort at all, except for being extra cranky it was obvious to many the two were the same person even when he tried to deny it.

I actually run multiple reddit accounts with very different personas for "reasons," not the least being to evade over zealous moderation.
    I suspect that my hardware posts here are distinctive enough that even if I were to delete this account and create another, people would figure out who I was pretty quickly.  But if I couldn't make the sort of posts that I want to make here, then what's the point in posting?
    SandmanjwAbimorAlBQuirky
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited March 2021
    Band ≠ Ban

Band is 

uploadwikimediaorgwikipediacommonsthumb1

or

Best resistance bands 2021 Stretch yourself and get stronger with the best  resistance bands to buy  Expert Reviews

Ban

FileBan circle font awesome-redsvg - Wikimedia Commons

And one gets banned not band.
    IselinSandmanjw[Deleted User]dragonlee66[Deleted User]cheyaneAlBQuirky

• DafAtRandomDafAtRandom Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Tokken said:
    The problem is, some of these people that get banned don't learn their lesson or understand their own behaviors on WHY they get banned. I.E. - Remsleep(Kano) 

deleting their account and remaking an avatar doesn't fix the problem.

In that particular individual's case, it is because they are an obvious narcissist.  They can try to want a clean slate all they want, it doesn't change who they are.  As hard as they will, the condescension will resurface in their posts.  When they cannot control themselves to the point they tell others that they are having fun wrong or that they are not having as much fun as they are claiming to have because they are not following they're own views on how to maximize fun, the clean slate will never last.
    WhiteLanternAlBQuirky
    kitarad said:
    Band ≠ Ban

And one gets banned not band.
    Please clarify:  which one is this:

https://southpark.fandom.com/wiki/Band_in_China

That is, after all, the episode that resulted in South Park being banned in China.
    [Deleted User]kitaradScotAlBQuirky
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    I just have to laugh at some people here. Maybe salute too....

Talking about how horrible the moderators are, how they ban folks for no reason....and yet if they are that overbearing and terrible, why would you antagonize them then?

Or maybe they are just doing their job, following the rules and you do not agree with the rules? A temp ban is not the end of the world....

Ahh well, i have not seen anyone be too harsh with ban's, but this time...it seems to be some self inflicted problems to me. Along with ANOTHER overreaction of deleting an account.

Most likely there is already a new account that is monitoring everything here....just have to wait a bit till they self destruct again or moderate themselves.... 

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • Abscissa15Abscissa15 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    We are all adults here, editorially speaking, and should be able to post opinions without crossing the border between criticism and personal attacks. Even when this fails people in general could have slightly thicker skins and absorb an insult from time to time, ToS notwithstanding. @Brainy called out toxic snowflakes and hit the nail on the head. It just appears to me that as time marches on there are more and more people that go through life apparently looking for things to be offended by.

...  and @Scorchien called Kano a pussy  ... I just don't know what to say ...  
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Quizzical said:
    Mendel said:
    If people were allowed to delete other people's accounts for the slightest offense, this (and all social media) would be desolate, barren wastelands devoid of intelligent life.  Oh wait, is that a self-fulfilling prophecy?
    One could argue that a lot of social media is already a barren wasteland devoid of intelligent life.  Ever seen Twitter?

I look at Twitter as a communication tool for people completely incapable of communicating.  So, yes, I agree.

dragonlee66QuizzicalAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I got reported for being an outright asshole, and got banned, and that I accept, it's part of the forum game, and it's called accepting the consequences for one's behavior, and it was well deserved. Some here actually want to be able to freely insult posters or whole groups of the community without consequences: that's not how life works. But I also got bans for answering to insulting asshats the same way they were talking to us, so now, for some posters (very few), I changed my method... and I'm using the report button like they do instead of answering and getting myself into trouble.

I definitely will never report anyone for just disagreeing, except of course the advertisement spam bots.
    Captain Kirk wouldn't report anyone, he would stand his ground.  But I could picture Jean Luc Picard reporting everyone back to StarFleet.

Lots of paperwork when the USS Enterprise beams everyone back to Earth.  Kirk would handle it internally.  
    SandmanjwSlapshot1188AlBQuirky
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I find that if someone starts hurling personal insults in a particular thread, then I just move on from that thread. I find that being the bigger person and moving on fixes way more than trying to prove I'm the bigger person.
    delete5230[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    I have only ever reported one person the entire time I have been here since 2005. I reported that person for doing some race baiting nonsense and I have no idea if they acted on it I don't think they tell you maybe they do. These forums have changed a lot over the years and I do feel like some people have this attitude if you do not agree with me your a heathen which is sad. I guess that is the way of the world now though we can not just let people be happy and not have to force our ideals down their throat. for the most part I just ignore people who are being rude. As far as Kano goes i thought he added a lot of good stuff to this forum and his burning hate for gamingo was always really entertaining I am sad to see him go if he is gone for good. Wizardry's post are always very entertaining I think he has been criticized for some of his pots but he does hold game developers to a much higher standard and to be honest its kind of refreshing.    
    BruceYee[Deleted User]GdemamiAlBQuirky
    Mars_OMG said:

I hope Kano is doing well  and that he can turn what ever is happening in life around in positive way, because this thread , this single thread is exactly what Kano doesn't need and I beg mmorpg/com to lock it. 

Sigh.  Here we are actually having a somewhat adult conversation with multiple perspectives... and still someone has to try and shut it down.  Amazing

YashaXGdemamiAlBQuirky

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Mars_OMG said:

I have a tear in my eyes for kano's safety and welfare. 

The personal attacks in his last post were directed at you. Were you the one who reported him? Are those alleged tears, tears of regret?
    BruceYeeYashaXAlBQuirkyTwistedSister77
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    Mars_OMG said:

I have a tear in my eyes for kano's safety and welfare. 

The personal attacks in his last post were directed at you. Were you the one who reported him? Are those alleged tears, tears of regret?

The worst he would have faced is a short time ban. He got butthurt and chose to delete his account.
    HE did it to HIMSELF. That's called refusing the consequences of one's actions. At least to me.
    I get that his overreaction is his own doing as I said in my first post in this thread. I just find it funny that the person who most likely triggered this whole thing wants to close the thread.
    [Deleted User]BruceYeeYashaXGdemamiAlBQuirkyTwistedSister77
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED