Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think is the best solo pvp mmo?

0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

Just wondering about people's thoughts on this. I'm not referring to group pvp, small group pvp, huge group pvp--or any other kind of group pvp. Just the best, solo, pvp period--or does it exist?

It's easy to win when you've got numbers on your side, but what about random one-on-one encounters? So, no, not duels or set fights, but the random ambush.

My favorite so far for this was pre-cu SWG. Tooling along, doing my own thing, when suddenly I'm under fire (this is being factionally declared, obviously)--usually with my swoop suddenly going up in flames. And it was even more fun with my Jedi and having BHs show up out of nowhere (note: the first 2 weren't fun because I was too weak to do much back--but after that, I had an unblemished record).

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    EVE Online

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033
    EvE...bleh....man, anythings interesting for the first week, but I cant take being a ship, and the solo play is so damn monotonous.

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Guild Wars

Yeah... there is no "solo" PVP but you dont' have to find friends or anything to PVP. So, really it's kinda like Solo PVPing.

And yeah, EVE is a great Solo PVP game, but only if you're smart and really good at thinking like a solo PVPer.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • LilTLilT Member Posts: 631
    i know im gonna get laughed at for this but I like the random world pvp in Wow (pvp server ofc). Screw Bg's.

In SWG though, nothing got my heart racing like grinding jedi on Endor and seeing a blue dot ride up. asdfaeradadaae that was so much fun!

For the Horde!

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

Never played Guild Wars, so no opinion on that one.

EVE is theoretically good in solo pvp--but usually I've found it's a ganksquad (if not right away, their friends are conveniently close and then it's no contest) in the end.

I quite enjoyed WoW open-world pvp when it happened, but even when traveling through supposedly enemy territory, typically I'd only see people who were lower and so easy kills or much higher. Once I hit 60, I rarely saw an enemy 60 except in BGs or if they were grouped.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

Originally posted by Agricola1
    EVE Online

EVE is an abysmal solo-PvP game. It was never designed for it and combat isnt balanced for it. You can occasionally find and beat up a few random retards, but thats meaningless.
  • variusvarius Member Posts: 32
    Ultima Online. I'd always log on and run around looking for enemy factioners to kill. Of course, PvPing solo isn't ideal, group PvP is safer. But still fun :).

• siftifiedsiftified Member Posts: 258

Asheron's Call ... Where you can be lvl 120 and still win a fight vs 4 x lvl 150's. Now for the downside.

1. The game is almost dead, the player vs player server is at about 200 people peak now I believe

2. It takes a fair while to lvl a character, even with macros (which are against the CoC but still used by 90% of the playerbase)

3. Turbine have now turned their attention to making terrible games with no PvP whatsoever, so my dreams of "Asheron's Call Reloaded" seem to have gone out the window

• kahnzkahnz Member Posts: 244
    yeah old Darktide Asheron's Call was the best.  Too bad we'll never see that again
  • Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by RollinDutch

Originally posted by Agricola1
    EVE Online
    EVE is an abysmal solo-PvP game. It was never designed for it and combat isnt balanced for it. You can occasionally find and beat up a few random retards, but thats meaningless.

No.1 EVE Fanbois VS No.1 EVE Hatebois.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203
    Asheron's Call definitely had the best solo PvP.  If you were good enough, you could beat someone twice your level, and could even beat multiple people at a time.

But like another poster said, the game is practically dead now.  Turbine ruined its chances of making a comeback into the MMO world, and are now focusing on terrible big-license games in hopes that they can just make more money.

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

I don't think there are any games that let you hit yourself.

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by katriell

I don't think there are any games that let you hit yourself.

LOL, n1.

That being said, WoW is my pick.  I play on a med-high pop PvP server and there is always a chance for world PvP if you know where to look.  Hell, even in AV/AB you can typically get some good one on one fights but I agree that instanced PvP= teh suck.  It is typically never a fair fight which is how PvP should be but it can be frustrating as well.

I didn't play Ryzom long enough to know if there was a good shot at 1v1 PvP, thoughts Katriell?

EVE, I dunno.  Again, didn't play it long enough to get high enough to even consider any form of PvP.  I really like the concept of EVE but overall the game just wasn't my thing.  I entered the contest though so maybe i'll try it again for 60 days...  :)

Guildwars...  meh...  Again, instanced PvP FTL IMO. 

I'm waiting for something new and grinding some alts to 60 in the meantime, worth more on ebay...  :p
  • RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

Originally posted by kovah

That being said, WoW is my pick.  I play on a med-high pop PvP server and there is always a chance for world PvP if you know where to look.  Hell, even in AV/AB you can typically get some good one on one fights but I agree that instanced PvP= teh suck.  It is typically never a fair fight which is how PvP should be but it can be frustrating as well.

If you think WoW is good PvP, kill yourself.
  • kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by RollinDutch

Originally posted by kovah

If you think WoW is good PvP, kill yourself.

That is exactly what I said.  "WoW is good PvP."    ........................................

The OP asked "What do you think is the best solo pvp mmo?"

I responded with my opinion based on what is currently available to play.  I never said that WoW was was "good PvP" hell, its barely even "O.K. PvP" but compared to everythign out right now, IMO, its got the most potential for 1v1/solo/world PvP.

Thanks for providing nothing to the discussion though.
  • RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Unreal Tournament

AugustusG

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• ElladanTinuvielElladanTinuviel Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Rising Force Online

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189
    edited March 2021
    Best solo pvp... i think you should be looking for mmos which have 1) Full PvP and 2) good and interesting 1v1 pvp. 

Many pvp mmos can lean more towards a zerg style pvp. If the mmo concentrates too much on balancing for good 1v1 pvp, then you can end up with RvR which is a bit too jerky (more crowd control effects).

So.. full pvp mmos with respectable 1v1 pvp would be: DAOC, Champions of Regnum and Warhammer Return for Reckoning. I'm not super keen on GW2, because i hear it is not really a pvp situation where roles of each class are clearly delineated. GW2 lets any player build for any class, right?

The other criteria i look for is that the mmo must have fantasy and magic in the mix. So I tend to find solid melee combat pvp mmos like Gloria Victis/Mount & Blade, not so interesting for me (maybe it is because im just not good at their style of sowrd/shield/arrows combat).
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    ringdany said:
    Best solo pvp... i think you should be looking for mmos which have 1) Full PvP and 2) good and interesting 1v1 pvp. 

Many pvp mmos can lean more towards a zerg style pvp. If the mmo concentrates too much on balancing for good 1v1 pvp, then you can end up with RvR which is a bit too jerky (more crowd control effects).

So.. full pvp mmos with respectable 1v1 pvp would be: DAOC, Champions of Regnum and Warhammer Return for Reckoning. I'm not super keen on GW2, because i hear it is not really a pvp situation where roles of each class are clearly delineated. GW2 lets any player build for any class, right?

The other criteria i look for is that the mmo must have fantasy and magic in the mix. So I tend to find solid melee combat pvp mmos like Gloria Victis/Mount & Blade, not so interesting for me (maybe it is because im just not good at their style of sowrd/shield/arrows combat).
    I do love Warhammer Reckoning, but the best classes for solo PVP (Witch Elf and Witch Hunter) struggle with a bunch of classes in solo PVP.  They are almost never desired or wanted in endgame groups where you get the best gear (City Sieges).
  • ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189
    edited March 2021
    I do love Warhammer Reckoning, but the best classes for solo PVP (Witch Elf and Witch Hunter) struggle with a bunch of classes in solo PVP.  They are almost never desired or wanted in endgame groups where you get the best gear (City Sieges).
    i think it is really hard to get good 1v1 and war pvp balance. Even the best pvp mmos (eg: DAOC) only held that title for a few years. RoR is a really good effort for a relatively short pvp development period. Regnum's pvp is good, but is generally acknowledged to have once been better. But all these 3 are generally known to exceed the pvp quality in the top tier mmos, at least amongst the click to target mmos. 

im not certain i can enjoy pvp in real time action combat mmos. (maybe because im not good at it)
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited March 2021
    ringdany said:
    i think it is really hard to get good 1v1 and war pvp balance. Even the best pvp mmos (eg: DAOC) only held that title for a few years. RoR is a really good effort for a relatively short pvp development period. Regnum's pvp is good, but is generally acknowledged to have once been better. But all these 3 are generally known to exceed the pvp quality in the top tier mmos, at least amongst the click to target mmos. 

im not certain i can enjoy pvp in real time action combat mmos. (maybe because im not good at it)
    Well, Warhammer is all about group PVP, it makes no bones about it.  The synergies of the classes and coordination.  Example as a Brightwizard (to those who don't know, class cannon mage dps)  I will lose a ton of 1 v 1s.  A warband without us (20 man), will lose the dps war and die often times.  With us, and the bluffs we get from synergies, literally we nuke and melt opposing players... but only as a 20 man unit of trinity coordination. (And props to melee dps as well).

Now, Age of Conan... that is kick ass for solo pvp... back when pvp servers were thriving (there still is one, but go to the official forums to research).  Every class could stealth, kinda fair and cool.  But most classes were viable for solo PvP.  Assassins and rangers were the best... imo.  I did thoroughly enjoy whipping butt on a Conquer alt too.  I played so many classes.