Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Return of Reckoning

Is it normal for pvt servers to collect and store IP addresses so they could enforce rules and generally harass people? I know that they are PRIVATE(...duh, it's in the name), but this seems somewhat absurd.

I mean, how come it's still the only one WAR server or, for that matter, that WAR / RoR is still the only Warhammer RPG?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited March 2021
    Gorwe said:
    Is it normal for pvt servers to collect and store IP addresses so they could enforce rules and generally harass people? I know that they are PRIVATE(...duh, it's in the name), but this seems somewhat absurd.

I mean, how come it's still the only one WAR server or, for that matter, that WAR / RoR is still the only Warhammer RPG?
    Private servers aren't professional servers that strive (usually) for some level of professionalism or service.

They are some gamers who can make a server who want to keep a game going. And in some cases against the wishes from the original developer.

So why would you expect anything more?

Also, it's their server so you play by their rules. If they want to enforce their rules they can. 

I suspect that's something professional legit servers might not do often as they don't want to scare away too many people. But some guys who just made a server? Heck, they can do whatever they want, it's their server.

Right up to the point that they (might) receive a cease and desist order.

edit: I'm not clear what you mean by the last paragraph. Why is it the only private server? 

If that's it then that's a weird question to ask. Might as well as you "why haven't you made your own server?"

Because they cater to everyone who would want a private server and there is no need for another because they do a good job?

Because all those who might be interested in making a private server and who could make a private server are playing on this server?

Because there isn't enough interest for more than this server?

GorwemuthaxScot[Deleted User]Kyleranmcrippins
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited March 2021
    Gorwe said:

I have never had an issue of privacy with this server (nor any of the hundreds of people I've played with).

It is so that if they ban you (temporary or permanent) you do not squirm around it.  It's an IP ban.

Do not worry about it, there is nothing nefarious about it.

GorweYashaXlonesol[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,424
    edited March 2021
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:

Private servers aren't professional servers that strive (usually) for some level of professionalism or service.

They are some gamers who can make a server who want to keep a game going. And in some cases against the wishes from the original developer.

Also, it's their server so you play by their rules. If they want to enforce their rules they can. 

I suspect that's something professional legit servers might not do often as they don't want to scare away too many people. But some guys who just made a server? Heck, they can do whatever they want, it's their server.

edit: I'm not clear what you mean by the last paragraph. Why is it the only private server? 

If that's it then that's a weird question to ask. Might as well as you "why haven't you made your own server?"

Because they cater to everyone who would want a private server and there is no need for another because they do a good job?

Because all those who might be interested in making a private server and who could make a private server are playing on this server?

I meant that:

a) another Warhammer Fantasy RPG simply does not exist. Maybe it's the only one that CAN exist, because they control the WarEmu data etc.
    b) it is the only WAR pvt server to my knowledge.
    Gorwe said:

I have never had an issue of privacy with this server (nor any of the hundreds of people I've played with).

It is so that if they ban you (temporary or permanent) you do not squirm around it.  It's an IP ban.

I have a bit of history with these...devs. And not the best of opinions about them. And, yeah, they banned me because I dared to suggest and question things(might've gone a bit outta hand, but they are not above insulting, provoking and drama in general). Hearing some other drama that happened after(this was around the server launch, mind) just proves my opinions as right and accurate ones.

Otherwise, fantastic work and effort, A grade, but attitude? Completely unprofessional, pure F grade. Maybe they calmed down, idk

Everyone, don't worry, I won't cause the Judgment Day. Probably. I'll try not to.
    Post edited by Gorwe on
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:

I meant that:

a) another Warhammer Fantasy RPG simply does not exist. Maybe it's the only one that CAN exist, because they control the WarEmu data etc.
    Gorwe said:

I have a bit of history with these...devs. And not the best of opinions about them. And, yeah, they banned me because I dared to suggest and question things(might've gone a bit outta hand, but they are not above insulting, provoking and drama in general). Hearing some other drama that happened after(this was around the server launch, mind) just proves my opinions as right and accurate ones.

Otherwise, fantastic work and effort, A grade, but attitude? Completely unprofessional, pure F grade. Maybe they calmed down, idk

Everyone, don't worry, I won't cause the Judgment Day. Probably. I'll try not to.
    On b, the devs built and rebuilt the code from the ground up.  As I understand, they can run the private server (use the IP) as long as they accept zero money (no fees, not even donations... just ads on their website).

Yeah, devs have been fair and chill since I've been playing (March 2020).  There are a ton of suggestion threads and debates... but if you're an asshat and attack people, yeah you'll get a temp ban.  If really egregious, a permanent ban... they don't want a toxic community.

You can read the forums for yourself.
    YashaXmuthaxKyleran
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:

I meant that:

Gorwe said:

On b, the devs built and rebuilt the code from the ground up.  As I understand, they can run the private server (use the IP) as long as they accept zero money (no fees, not even donations... just ads on their website).

Yeah, devs have been fair and chill since I've been playing (March 2020).  There are a ton of suggestion threads and debates... but if you're an asshat and attack people, yeah you'll get a temp ban.  If really egregious, a permanent ban... they don't want a toxic community.

I should know all about it. I was there, before most of these, when RoR was but an idea(before even War Emu and that Black / Red page, gosh what was it called?). I'm glad to see it thrive, it proves my point about will and way and resilience of hope etc.
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:

I meant that:

Gorwe said:

What do you think about WP + Shield or the change to the Phantom Blade?
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:

I meant that:

Gorwe said:

I highly suggest you post on their forums, you'll get expert advice.  WP is not my healer class, but here is a decent response to why WP + Shield is solid if you're looking for a dps oriented build.  

https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=43155

Gorwe
    edited March 2021
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:

I meant that:

Gorwe said:

I highly suggest you post on their forums, you'll get expert advice.  WP is not my healer class, but here is a decent response to why WP + Shield is solid if you're looking for a dps oriented build.  

Outside of PvE instances, I fully expect a Shield WP to outtank most things. Shield DoK sounds queer to me though. Would rather have a 2H DoK, but even then...something about Dual Wield(or +Chalice) just makes perfect sense on DoK to me.
    edited March 2021
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:

I meant that:

Gorwe said:

Right, how to say this? Simple and direct:

I am not having that much fun. The world is beautiful, the writing is above average(and good+ in Epic Quests), the combat is...too slow outside of dps characters, but...the biggest problem? SLOW MOVESPEED! Holy Batman! The quest design, direction and slow move just make me want to poke my eyes out. But I never truly enjoyed Open World(it's too often devoid of meaningful activities).

Such a good game spoiled by such a trivial thing. Ok, I won't comment Healers / Tanks(later ones especially) outside of groups(my personal bugbear: tanks and healers useless outside the group) because that is a design decision, but slow movespeed? Come on! Walking around slowly is NOT a form of "content"!

Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:

I meant that:

Gorwe said:

I am not having that much fun. The world is beautiful, the writing is above average(and good+ in Epic Quests), the combat is...too slow outside of dps characters, but...the biggest problem? SLOW MOVESPEED! Holy Batman! The quest design, direction and slow move just make me want to poke my eyes out. But I never truly enjoyed Open World(it's too often devoid of meaningful activities).

Such a good game spoiled by such a trivial thing. Ok, I won't comment Healers / Tanks(later ones especially) outside of groups(my personal bugbear: tanks and healers useless outside the group) because that is a design decision, but slow movespeed? Come on! Walking around slowly is NOT a form of "content"!

Yep, get your level 35? I think mount +40% movement.  You can get a level 15 or 18 mount that is a big improvement.  But, it just might not be for you... it is a 2008 game.  In RvR, it doesn't feel slow... but questing solo... yes.
    muthax
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:

I meant that:

Gorwe said:

Yep, get your level 35? I think mount +40% movement.  You can get a level 15 or 18 mount that is a big improvement.  But, it just might not be for you... it is a 2008 game.  In RvR, it doesn't feel slow... but questing solo... yes.

I'm a questing guy. That's shit outta Warhammer Fantasy RPGs. PvP? Yes, it is fantastic, but I need more than that.

And the PvE is like wading through some sticky polymer. There are some good things, but they're mostly carried by the Warhammer IP.

And it was always a doomed, niche product(imo). But I never wanted an always online crap(that's what the BUSINESS wanted). Look how good Total Warhammer is doing with mods, PvE focus(mostly) etc. WAR / RoR is heavily outdated right now.

And I want to enjoy my time in Warhammer, but so much time is being wasted. I'd just make out of combat / RvR lake movespeed 100% faster. Look, trudging through a sticky polymer isn't a definition of a good time.
    edited March 2021
    With that said, maybe I should stick to more exciting classes. WE / WH, Slayer / Choppa, Shadow Warrior etc.

Tanks are just appalingly slow to use ; healers are ok. Rdps is hit or miss, Mdps is awesome. I mean, why would I even try to level a Chosen if I have a Mara, a 100x more fun class?

But that's outdated character design for you. You don't need to go farther than level 1 and most of those "200% threat" abilities. Useless in PvP, very underwhelming in solo ČvE, in group PvE you could simply use Taunt and Detaunt at key moments.

Damn! I sure wish Tanks were more exciting to level than watching a paint dry.
    Gorwe said:
    With that said, maybe I should stick to more exciting classes. WE / WH, Slayer / Choppa, Shadow Warrior etc.

Tanks are just appalingly slow to use ; healers are ok. Rdps is hit or miss, Mdps is awesome. I mean, why would I even try to level a Chosen if I have a Mara, a 100x more fun class?

But that's outdated character design for you. You don't need to go farther than level 1 and most of those "200% threat" abilities. Useless in PvP, very underwhelming in solo ČvE, in group PvE you could simply use Taunt and Detaunt at key moments.

Yes, tanks and healers are the worst to level.  But at end game pve dungeons, the most sought after for groups.  

Pet classes are fun I hear for pve leveling (white lion, engineers, etc.).
    edited March 2021
    Gorwe said:

Yes, tanks and healers are the worst to level.  But at end game pve dungeons, the most sought after for groups.  

I would need LoyalPet then. Not for Engi per se, but definitely for WL. Not interested in Squig.

I don't care about endgame Groups, I have my own goal here, one that has been open for far too long. Concerning Healers, they are touch and go while leveling:

Runki and Zealot: They're not actually half bad. Just DoT everything, HoT yourself, kite...amazingly efficient in fact

AM / Shammy: Broken, AM especially. An AM can sometimes pull off almost BW like dps(in ST) WHILE HEALING(and kiting and ccing and...)! Don't like their mechanic though.

Priest / DoK: They should have the lowest damage, seeing just what they have. In the case of Priest, almost everything lol. While they are not fast(DoK can be), they can do silly solo(in both PvE and PvP) feats. Because heavier Medium Armor + Buffs h Healing...oh hello there!

Tanks are mostly just appaling. The only one that is half useable is Ironbreaker, due to Heavy Blow + Binding Grudge and the resultant surprisingly high dps when combined with all the (de)buffs. Swordmaster is the biggest disappointment, you'd think it'd be easier to level him, more damage due to DAT SWORD(also DAT SIZE for BO), but...nope. Group up or fuck off.

Love some classes like SW or Mara or Slayer-Choppa. Those are just buttery smooth. Oh and WH and WE, WE kinda more.

I'm still trying to decide what to play(don't want duplicate classes):

The Empire: ??? (Warrior Priest? Knight? Idk)

Dwarfs: Too many good options! Engi and Ironbreaker, most likely. ENGI / IB

H.Elves: Shadow or Lion. Most likely Shadow ; Aesanar are just too cool. SW / WL

D.Elves: Blackguard completely failed me. He's more cool than fun(you can improvise the looks of a Bleaksword etc) ; Witch Elf is wicked fun though. Don't care for the other two. WE / BG

Orcs: Don't care about Gobbos, Choppa is 100x more fun than BO, even though both are ok. CHOPPA / BO

Chaos: Chosen is ok, Zealot too, Magus is fun(but his counterpart I just like much more, so it's taken), Mara...oh boi <3 ! Savagery and Monstrosity, oh my! MARAUDER
    TwistedSister77
    edited March 2021
    Regardless, I made some headway with SW and that class is fantastic. Very tactical when it needs to be(Scout Stance), very direct and roflo in other situations(Assault Stance - my favorite). This is practically some kind of a melee / ranged dps hybrid lol. Very fun. Now, I'll need to determine whether I want to spec into it or into Skirmish(for DoTs)...not really interested in Fester Bombs. Also, since when isn't Flame Arrow in Scout? Something got changed with that tree.

I still have next to no idea about the Empire.
    edited March 2021
    Gorwe said:

The point is that I'm dismayed by the way Tanks level. I actually like most of them, but only one is really worth something outside of the group(IB) and that's how it should be designed(fully viable for both, simply more suited to one). Others are just...bottled disappointment. Why is it thatI have almost equal performance with a Monstro Mara(or Assault SW etc) while being actually 50%(if not more) efficient in reaching my goals and infinitely more fun? Sure, groups, but one does not always play in a group, especially on a pvt.server like this one(it's hardly Nost or Molten, is it?).

Blackguard is just too cool, what with Shields, Bleaksword approach etc ; Black Orc is just silly large(I don't actually like it) ; Swordmaster is so cool and unique(always thought it should've been a mDPS but meh) ; Knight is a ... Knight, what can I say(that's always good) and Chosen is kinda meh(simply cool). But the leveling of those cool classes is simply attrocious. Meh.
    edited March 2021
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:

The point is that I'm dismayed by the way Tanks level. I actually like most of them, but only one is really worth something outside of the group(IB) and that's how it should be designed(fully viable for both, simply more suited to one). Others are just...bottled disappointment. Why is it thatI have almost equal performance with a Monstro Mara(or Assault SW etc) while being actually 50%(if not more) efficient in reaching my goals and infinitely more fun? Sure, groups, but one does not always play in a group, especially on a pvt.server like this one(it's hardly Nost or Molten, is it?).

Blackguard is just too cool, what with Shields, Bleaksword approach etc ; Black Orc is just silly large(I don't actually like it) ; Swordmaster is so cool and unique(always thought it should've been a mDPS but meh) ; Knight is a ... Knight, what can I say(that's always good) and Chosen is kinda meh(simply cool). But the leveling of those cool classes is simply attrocious. Meh.
    All three order tanks are viable at endgame, but IB requires a bit more skill... but people who play it love it for that.

Yes Blackguard is badass.  

Now that you are getting into pvp... you can level strictly from pvp (it's actually much faster).  But you will out level the PvE quests.   So perhaps level a tank via pvp and an alt through PvE.  

Pretty much the best gear, with some exceptions, comes from RvR + City Siege.  (Scenarios for best weapon, end game PvE Public Quests raids for best talismans for your gear... if you are tank, those are the most expansive talismans to buy in the market by far... super expensive.  Also, great way to make gold... selling talismans.)

Don't forget, for activities in game (quests, pvp, finding stuff)... you unlock title options that are visible to everyone below your name.  Go into your Tome to see what's available to toggle on.  You can also google all titles and requirements to get the titles if a specific one tickles your fancy.

There are also some really good XP/renown bonuses and items from doing the weekly events (posted on the website and sometimes on the launcher)... take advantage... usually they are fun and active too.

You get the weekly event quests from your capital city, a red flagged NPC... for Order, it's in Altdorf, right around the corner from the flight master before you enter the market.  That's also where you'll turn it in once completed or partially completed (see your Tome book for progress and reward status).

Finally, there is a weekly pug only PvP scenario that changes.  You can actually signup with a group of 2.  Type in chat .pug and it will list it.  But I normally find I don't have to resort to the pug scenario too often.
    Post edited by TwistedSister77 on
    No, fuck this game, I think I'd rather play Armada or something. I just don't like how MMOs are put together(especially here, where Healers are uber powerful), I prefer solo by far. Where I can take whatever name, whatever skills etc I choose.

I am so over MMOs, too bad I don't really have a Warhammer Fantasy RPG. This is...passable, if that.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    not RoR but is Warhammer

Gorwe
    edited March 2021
    Asheram said:
    not RoR but is Warhammer

Gotta hand it to them, that's some diedication!

Concerning RoR, I really like its looks and its IP and some other things(feels like playing in Warhammer Fantasy 5th), but I just don't like some underlying mechanics(oh and how the quests are half broken with their text outputs). It's just thoroughly and deeply disappointing for me, but I am not exactly looking for an MMO right now. Don't feel like playing those.

Edit: I don't want to rely on a healer, I want to rely on myself! I really don't like how this game shoves grouping down your throat. It's basically designed with 1-1-1 in mind(Healer - rDPS - mDPS / Tank). And I want solo.
    Asheram
    edited March 2021
    Gorwe said:
    Asheram said:
    not RoR but is Warhammer

Concerning RoR, I really like its looks and its IP and some other things(feels like playing in Warhammer Fantasy 5th), but I just don't like some underlying mechanics(oh and how the quests are half broken with their text outputs). It's just thoroughly and deeply disappointing for me, but I am not exactly looking for an MMO right now. Don't feel like playing those.

Edit: I don't want to rely on a healer, I want to rely on myself! I really don't like how this game shoves grouping down your throat. It's basically designed with 1-1-1 in mind(Healer - rDPS - mDPS / Tank). And I want solo.
    Hey, buy health pots with tokens earned from scenarios or rvr from the PvP/renown merchants in the capital city (max level for your character).  They are pretty much the best in the game... I'm assuming you're using these?  Makes a massive difference.  I didn't figure it out till several hours in.  I believe they might be sold on the auction house too, but  not 100% sure.

In help chat... or if you are in the Capital city... zone chat... If you're nice and specify you're new to the game... and list the specific potion you need... being low level, you might get some donation stacks mailed to you.  If I were logged in I would send you some, but I'm away from computer due to real life for a while.  They are super cheap for veterans to buy because of the currency conversion of higher tier scenario/rvr tokens vs. lower level tokens.

Also- Cleanse any death penalties (especially multiple stacks), they really do gimp you - you have to visit a specific npc in settlements to do this for a small fee, or let the timers run out.
    Post edited by TwistedSister77 on
    AsheramGorwe
    Gorwe said:
    Asheram said:
    not RoR but is Warhammer

Hey, buy health pots with tokens earned from scenarios or rvr from the PvP/renown merchants in the capital city (max level for your character).  They are pretty much the best in the game... I'm assuming you're using these?  Makes a massive difference.  I didn't figure it out till several hours in.  I believe they might be sold on the auction house too, but  not 100% sure.

In help chat... or if you are in the Capital city... zone chat... If you're nice and specify you're new to the game... and list the specific potion you need... being low level, you might get some donation stacks mailed to you.  If I were logged in I would send you some, but I'm away from computer due to real life for a while.  They are super cheap for veterans to buy because of the currency conversion of higher tier scenario/rvr tokens vs. lower level tokens.

Also- Cleanse any death penalties (especially multiple stacks), they really do gimp you - you have to visit a specific npc in settlements to do this for a small fee, or let the timers run out.
    Thanks for all the effort, but I'm afraid I can't really enjoy it. It puts the focus on things which REALLY don't interest me(group as opposed to individual ; PvP as opposed to PvE). It is old school. But those are all justifications.

In the end? I want to enjoy it, but I simply can't. Maybe if I could multibox so I lugged a Healer around, but without? Hardly seems worth the time. It is beautiful(imo), but also quite not me.
    edited March 2021
    It's just a random stupid game, some things should REALLY stay in the past.

I'm done with it. Thanks for all the effort, but it's just not for me. I would want something as colorful as this, set in Warhammer, with more PvE focus, with modern design, preferably singleplayer(done with multiplayer crap). But this? /tsk, sunshine, it ain't it.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gorwe said:

I'm done with it. Thanks for all the effort, but it's just not for me. I would want something as colorful as this, set in Warhammer, with more PvE focus, with modern design, preferably singleplayer(done with multiplayer crap). But this? /tsk, sunshine, it ain't it.
    Why aren’t you spending all your time in Nioh 2 mate? Its available and glorious. The only reason I am not playing is because of Monster Hunter Rise, which somehow is even more stunning then Monster Hunter World.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Gorwe said:

Well, it was free... so no skin off your back for trying.  Hope you find a better game that suits you!