Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Announces Changes To Game Time Purchaseable Options For World of Warcraft | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzard Announces Changes To Game Time Purchaseable Options For World of Warcraft | MMORPG.com

For those who like to grab their World of Warcraft game time in 30, 90 or 180 day increments, Blizzard has some news for you. Announced today, the company is doing away with the more incremental purchaseable game time options, instead opting for just the 60 day option in addition to WoW Tokens and the standard subscription fee.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Probably because you can consume their little content updates in less than 30 days (if you don't raid). I see this as a barrier from me dipping my toes back in from time to time.
    FrodoFraginsPhixion13Gdemamistrawhat0981Dhamon99
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I think they already did that in Canada a couple of years ago. 60 days was all I could ever find.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 174
    edited March 2021
    Yet just another money grab, blizzard you have turn to scum. Sorry for anyone that works at that joke of a place.
    Phixion13[Deleted User]Gdemamistrawhat0981
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    This isent a good sign...
    Perhaps Blizzards mining fields are depleting..

This is only made to grap money from players in case they dont return or leaves the game after 30 days..shame on you Blizzard
    FrodoFraginsPhixion13Gdemamistrawhat0981

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    I misunderstood it at first, but the 60 day option is only for adding extra game time to your account. You can still set up a recurring subscription for 30/90/180 days like normal. https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/world-of-warcraft-subscription
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    So now you have to pay for two months at a time. I usually quit after a month whenever I get the urge to play this game and cancel the sub before the month is up. Well I guess this makes it easier not to touch the game at all then.
    Talraekkstrawhat0981zacho56
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    So now you have to pay for two months at a time. I usually quit after a month whenever I get the urge to play this game and cancel the sub before the month is up. Well I guess this makes it easier not to touch the game at all then.
    They're not talking about subs. Those remain the same with 1,3,6 and 12 month options.

They're only talking about game time cards you can buy in stores usually at the checkout. It's something WoW has that very few other MMOs have.
    foppoteecheyane[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Iselin said:
    cheyane said:
    They're not talking about subs. Those remain the same with 1,3,6 and 12 month options.

They're only talking about game time cards you can buy in stores usually at the checkout. It's something WoW has that very few other MMOs have.
    Okay ,okay my bad.
    Chamber of Chains
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Wait.. so you could not get an annual sub?
    Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2021
    Blizzard has been on a serious mission to find ways to make more money,they are in full greed mode.
    They have reworked hearthstone a few times in just the last couple years and NONE of it is for the gamer but all about more revenue.

There is no logical reason to put any effort into rethinking the 30 day purchase,if anything it might alienate a few who are on very tight budgets.

I am long past this idea of continuing to pay for a game anyhow,you should pay once and that is it.Then if their expansions are worth it we buy it.This scam of subscriptions is long past due and should be abolished.Cash shops are no better but it tells you how cheap these games really are because everything is DIGITAL now.
    I wonder if peopel even realize what just brushed under the table moving from costly boxes and shipping to merely downloading over the internet.

We never own these games anyhow but at least with a Disc and box you FEEL like you own something and if the servers go under someone might startup a private server.
    BruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    edited March 2021

Ungood said:

Wait.. so you could not get an annual sub?

There has never been an annual sub for WoW. The subs aren't changing.

This ONLY affects PRE-PURCHASED game time. The Blizzard shop sells game time. It's a virtual version of the old game time cards you'd buy from the rack at a check out aisle at Best Buy or Fry's.
    Ungood
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    To sum it up, boys, this affects only when you purchase Game-Time with your Blizzard Balance.

I take it is because of their P2W extravaganza exchange : Tokens -> Gold - Gold -> Tokens , where Tokens = Blizzard Balance , so that farmers who farm gold for Tokens ( Blizzard Balance ), will need to sub for 60 days minimum, because Blizzard doesn't want you to keep your Blizzard Balance for too much in your account ( this is true story and logical for any Business ).

So yea, is not because of their "review" of their current sub models. This is bullshit. It's always .. about the business.

/caseclosed
    achesomaKyleranUngoodlaxie

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

Wizardry said:

This scam of subscriptions is long past due and should be abolished.

ahh, no, I will play sub only games and its not a scam

Godz of War I call Thee

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Blizzard has to be hurting after this horrible expansion that made BFA look a lot better.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Wizardry said:

This scam of subscriptions is long past due and should be abolished.

ahh, no, I will play sub only games and its not a scam

So neither of you play many MMORPGs or online games anymore, do you?

The days of sub only or pay once are long gone, except in single player games, and even then.
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SKurjSKurj Member UncommonPosts: 157
    well come next year's shareholder's meeting...
    avg player pays for 60 days in 2021 - woohoo
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

IceAge said:

To sum it up, boys, this affects only when you purchase Game-Time with your Blizzard Balance.

I take it is because of their P2W extravaganza exchange : Tokens -> Gold - Gold -> Tokens , where Tokens = Blizzard Balance , so that farmers who farm gold for Tokens ( Blizzard Balance ), will need to sub for 60 days minimum, because Blizzard doesn't want you to keep your Blizzard Balance for too much in your account ( this is true story and logical for any Business ).

So yea, is not because of their "review" of their current sub models. This is bullshit. It's always .. about the business.

/caseclosed

Honestly, I was thinking more along the lines about the mounts they tried to use to incentize people to buy the 180 game time. Chances are they're just gonna straight up sell more mounts directly since they know less people are wanting to sub for 180 days, especially since the content lulz will probably be more frequent. Already gonna take them 6-7 to launch their first major patch post launch.
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    edited March 2021
    Kinda seems like a bad move to me, but what do I know? In my experience, people buying game time cards are for people who don't have bank accounts or Paypal. Most of the time, it ends up being a kid who gets his mom to pick one up. People who don't have digital payment usually are more sensitive to pricing changes and are more likely to put off buying something all together.

I'm not advocating Blizz squeezing more blood from the WoW stone, if I HAD to, I would have made WoW tokens worth $30 because you'd be dealing with whales who have the cash and, psychologically, having that extra $10 credit every time you use a token for sub would tend to keep you playing the microtransaction game longer.

• ProjectghostxProjectghostx Member UncommonPosts: 7
    So what you are telling me is that i am unistalling the game because imnot gonna be forced to ppay for more time then i want to
    Kyleran
  • BlackAdder77BlackAdder77 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited March 2021
    Well, if you were a company exec and planing to break the news that 9.1 is gonna be really late, what would you do? Force the people to buy a longer sub beforehand.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Well, if you were a company exec and planing to break the news that 9.1 is gonna be really late, what would you do? Force the people to buy a longer sub beforehand.

Again, this has no affect on subs. You can still sub 1 month at a time and cancel anytime.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    The amount of people across this dead genre's community that somehow read "Game Time Purchases" as "Subscriptions" is fucking astonishing. If you or anyone you know misinterpreted "Game Time Purchases" as "Subscriptions," congratulations you are the wider audience.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    The amount of people across this dead genre's community that somehow read "Game Time Purchases" as "Subscriptions" is fucking astonishing. If you or anyone you know misinterpreted "Game Time Purchases" as "Subscriptions," congratulations you are the wider audience.

You're paying for 60 days game time when most people will only play 30 or less..... Don't think that Blizzard doesn't know this is how to make money. This is exactly why I went to free to play games because of tactics like this.

You're paying for 60 days game time when most people will only play 30 or less..... Don't think that Blizzard doesn't know this is how to make money. This is exactly why I went to free to play games because of tactics like this.
    IDK man. You'd have to turn a blind eye to a lot of things to think that F2P games don't use even worse tactics.
    Kyleran

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Iselin said:

IDK man. You'd have to turn a blind eye to a lot of things to think that F2P games don't use even worse tactics.
    Path of Exile is often held up as an example of a "good" F2P model, yet when you want to purchase most any outfit or gear item in their store you'll find it impossible to purchase the exact amount of  "currency" you need  for it, almost always having to pay for more than necessary, but the leftover rarely is enough to buy something useful, so you end up buying even more currency.

It's a vicious practice, but hardly anything new, I recall running into the same when I played EQ2, I still have unspent credits on there I sure, unless they got cleared when Daybreak took over.

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon