Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infinite Fleet, Sci-Fi MMO From Pixelmatic, Releases New Counterattack Trailer | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2021 in Videos Discussion

imageInfinite Fleet, Sci-Fi MMO From Pixelmatic, Releases New Counterattack Trailer | MMORPG.com

Pixelmatic has released the official game trailer for their upcoming Sci-Fi MMO, Infinite Fleet. The trailer highlights some of the various voice actors which make performances for the game, as well as the score from Grammy Nominee Vince DiCola.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited March 2021
    "The game will include a Bitcoin based sidechain currency."

What is this?

Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    It looks like it could've been Robotech had they gotten the license from Harmony Gold.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• sabrefoxxsabrefoxx Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Didn't you guys hear? It's over 9000! I can't wait to hear more about this game.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited March 2021

Asheram said:

What is this?

INF Token

The INF token is the official game currency of Infinite Fleet. Similar to the typical gold or currency found in multiplayer online games of the past and present, INF allows players to purchase virtual items from other players and vendors within the Infinite Fleet game. However, unlike typical game currencies, INF is an actual cryptoasset - meaning that players can transfer it out of the game and into their own cryptocurrency wallets. This way, players have true ownership of their hard-earned game assets. This innovative concept of a cryptoasset being applied to an MMO game currency sets the precedence for a future of frictionless value transfer between virtual and real assets. https://www.infinitefleet.com/gamecurrency
    AsheramGdemamiZenJellyHatefull[Deleted User]Sandmanjw[Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Tiller said:

Asheram said:

What is this?

INF Token

The INF token is the official game currency of Infinite Fleet. Similar to the typical gold or currency found in multiplayer online games of the past and present, INF allows players to purchase virtual items from other players and vendors within the Infinite Fleet game. However, unlike typical game currencies, INF is an actual cryptoasset - meaning that players can transfer it out of the game and into their own cryptocurrency wallets. This way, players have true ownership of their hard-earned game assets. This innovative concept of a cryptoasset being applied to an MMO game currency sets the precedence for a future of frictionless value transfer between virtual and real assets. https://www.infinitefleet.com/gamecurrency
    So how much crypto mining are players going to be doing for the devs?
    GdemamiZenJellygastovski1[Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
     Tiller said:

Asheram said:

What is this?

INF Token

The INF token is the official game currency of Infinite Fleet. Similar to the typical gold or currency found in multiplayer online games of the past and present, INF allows players to purchase virtual items from other players and vendors within the Infinite Fleet game. However, unlike typical game currencies, INF is an actual cryptoasset - meaning that players can transfer it out of the game and into their own cryptocurrency wallets. 
    It's the evolution of cash shops and RMT: no need for a separate cash shop or gold sellers. The whole game is a cash shop and everyone is a gold seller... buyer most likely but hey, let's keep the fantasy alive that you too can make a profit playing the game.

LMAO.

Wouldn't touch this shit with a 10 foot pole.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiAsheramZenJellyAsm0deusgastovski1kitaradSandmanjwMendel
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited March 2021
    Basically a test case to get peeps crypto mining and real money p2w all rolled into one.

This is what Blockchain gaming is going to be all about.
    Going to take lots to convince me this isn't just more Entropia Universe style crap but with the crypto twist to it...
    AsheramHatefull[Deleted User]gastovski1TacticalZombehTillerGdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GodeauGodeau Member UncommonPosts: 83
    This is actually interesting to see how it unravels, in a small use case controlled environment such as a game on how a limit-minted asset such as crypto is going to have an impact on the economy in x amount of time.

From their website:
    'PROOF OF PARTICIPATION
    INF tokens are not sold by us. Instead, they are fairly distributed via in-game participation and events. As you would earn gold by completing quests in many games, you can earn INF by participating in certain events and missions in Infinite Fleet. This is a gamified version of proof-of-work, where players are potentially rewarded for their time spent in game.'

Doesn't explicitly say anything about using your GPUs to mine, but it seems it's a PoW token, so not sure to expect at this point in time.....

[Deleted User]
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited March 2021
    Godeau said:
    This is actually interesting to see how it unravels, in a small use case controlled environment such as a game on how a limit-minted asset such as crypto is going to have an impact on the economy in x amount of time.

From their website:
    'PROOF OF PARTICIPATION
    INF tokens are not sold by us. Instead, they are fairly distributed via in-game participation and events. As you would earn gold by completing quests in many games, you can earn INF by participating in certain events and missions in Infinite Fleet. This is a gamified version of proof-of-work, where players are potentially rewarded for their time spent in game.'

Doesn't explicitly say anything about using your GPUs to mine, but it seems it's a PoW token, so not sure to expect at this point in time.....

If they reward INF and this is proper crypto currency they can't just spin some up out of thin air. Some gpu somewhere has to be crunching the numbers (mining) to produce the INF.

Crypto comes from hardware (gpu's) that crunch numbers or algorithms and eventually they make a transaction that contributes to the blockchain which in turn pays you a bitcoin or fraction of a coin etc.

Essentially I think as you play your PC (gpu) will be "mining" at the same time and you will get rewards in the form of INF which I highly doubt will be like a whole bitcoin but rather a fraction of one.

This way they can essentially turn their player base into nice proper china like goldbots only producing crypto instead of some random game in game gold.

I also doubt you will get the full "rewards" or crypto of what your gpu actually "mined" as I am sure the house will somehow include some kind of fee.

IMO the only real winner here would be the house as all the little tidbits will add up if they can get a big player base.
    Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GodeauGodeau Member UncommonPosts: 83
    edited March 2021

Asm0deus said:

Godeau said:

From their website:

'PROOF OF PARTICIPATION

If they reward INF and this is proper crypto currency they can't just spin some up out of thin air. Some gpu somewhere has to be crunching the numbers (mining) to produce the INF.

Crypto comes from hardware (gpu's) that crunch numbers or algorithms and eventually they make a transaction that contributes to the blockchain which in turn pays you a bitcoin or fraction of a coin etc.

Essentially I think as you play your PC (gpu) will be "mining" at the same time and you will get rewards in the form of INF which I highly doubt will be like a whole bitcoin but rather a fraction of one.

This way they can essentially turn their player base into nice proper china like goldbots only producing crypto instead of some random game in game gold.

I also doubt you will get the full "rewards" or crypto of what your gpu actually "mined" as I am sure the house will somehow include some kind of fee.

IMO the only real winner here would be the house as all the little tidbits will add up if they can get a big player base.

That is assuming that this 'inf token' is using proof-of-work and requires gpu mining to maintain the network, which we obviously don't know a lot at this point in time.

There are a lot of coins/tokens out there that doesn't use gpu power as their network backbone. Some require as little as a raspberry pi 3b to run. Shocking i know, since the mainstream media only portrays bitcoin and ethereum as the power sucking manifestation of evil. I agree at the part where the house wins though, because we don't know how much have they accumulated themselves(pre-mine).
    [Deleted User]
  • Eva-01Eva-01 Member UncommonPosts: 69

Tiller said:

It looks like it could've been Robotech had they gotten the license from Harmony Gold.

obligatory FUCK harmony gold.
    Tillermklinic
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited March 2021

Rhoklaw said:

Crypto currencies are the new Pyramid Scheme of the 21st century, nothing more. While some will argue that most government backed monetary systems are of course falsely valued, the fact of the matter is, it's a proven means of economy. As for crypto currencies, every single one of them are designed to accumulate value from nothing, unlike current government currencies that have accumulated value over centuries, mostly starting with gold or precious metals as a backing.

No one anywhere has proven that crypto currencies will actually work and become a stable form of economy. The hype was to move away from central banking to eliminate such things as exchange rates. That's a great idea, but crypto currencies formed out of thin air and have zero backing. That's a HUGE problem and one of the main reasons it's extremely unstable.

I would also like to point out that the whole philosophy of crypto currency was to create a unified form of currency, yet how many different types of crypto currency do we have now? A lot. So in essence, crypto currency has already debunked itself. Multiple forms of crypto currency, none of which have any true value. If it had just been one crypto currency and everyone was on board with using it, then it MIGHT have been taken seriously, but now, it's simply a bunch of Pyramid Schemes and enjoy it while it lasts, because more than likely, one day they will all come crashing down.

It reminds me of the south sea bubble, as it has been taken up by so many. No government endorsement though for cryptocurrency, but people will never stop believing in get rich quick schemes.

Here a difference is that a lot of "work" is going into the schemes, like those old work from home ones that used to flourish (maybe they still do?). Whether you have expensive golden goose video cards making the money for you or grind in game to get it.

As you indicated all monetary systems rely on faith in what backs them up, the issue here is that there is nothing backing up the faith of those putting in other than their greed and gullibility.

P.S. I forgot a great quote; "cryptocurrency combines everything you don't understand about money with everything you don't understand about computers."
    Post edited by Scot on
    [Deleted User]GdemamiMendel
  • SamsonMowSamsonMow Newbie CommonPosts: 4

Asheram said:

Tiller said:

Asheram said:

What is this?

INF Token

The INF token is the official game currency of Infinite Fleet. Similar to the typical gold or currency found in multiplayer online games of the past and present, INF allows players to purchase virtual items from other players and vendors within the Infinite Fleet game. However, unlike typical game currencies, INF is an actual cryptoasset - meaning that players can transfer it out of the game and into their own cryptocurrency wallets. This way, players have true ownership of their hard-earned game assets. This innovative concept of a cryptoasset being applied to an MMO game currency sets the precedence for a future of frictionless value transfer between virtual and real assets.

https://www.infinitefleet.com/gamecurrency

There is no "crypto mining" involved here.

Godeau said:

Asm0deus said:

Godeau said:

From their website:

'PROOF OF PARTICIPATION

That is assuming that this 'inf token' is using proof-of-work and requires gpu mining to maintain the network, which we obviously don't know a lot at this point in time.

There are a lot of coins/tokens out there that doesn't use gpu power as their network backbone. Some require as little as a raspberry pi 3b to run. Shocking i know, since the mainstream media only portrays bitcoin and ethereum as the power sucking manifestation of evil.

I agree at the part where the house wins though, because we don't know how much have they accumulated themselves(pre-mine).

The INF token does not use POW or anything. It's simply a token issued on the Liquid Network and earned by players when they do large scale social activities like raids. It's the same as WoW gold, except it's a crypto asset which means it's portable for players.
    Gdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    SamsonMow said:

Asheram said:

Tiller said:

Asheram said:

What is this?

INF Token

The INF token is the official game currency of Infinite Fleet. Similar to the typical gold or currency found in multiplayer online games of the past and present, INF allows players to purchase virtual items from other players and vendors within the Infinite Fleet game. However, unlike typical game currencies, INF is an actual cryptoasset - meaning that players can transfer it out of the game and into their own cryptocurrency wallets. This way, players have true ownership of their hard-earned game assets. This innovative concept of a cryptoasset being applied to an MMO game currency sets the precedence for a future of frictionless value transfer between virtual and real assets.

https://www.infinitefleet.com/gamecurrency

There is no "crypto mining" involved here.
    Welcome to the forums. :)

To me if you are doing some sort of work to make cryptocurrency that can be called mining. The fact you have to port it out of the game does not change that. But here at MMORPG.com we don't care if you agree with us or not, have your say!
    Gdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    SamsonMow said:

The INF token does not use POW or anything. It's simply a token issued on the Liquid Network and earned by players when they do large scale social activities like raids. It's the same as WoW gold, except it's a crypto asset which means it's portable for players.
    That sounds ever so benign. Tokens get "issued" and are "earned through playing." Almost sounds like players are just showered with crypto assets with no real world money ever being involved except when they cash out their "earnings" and "issued" tokens.

So how does the game company turn a profit? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Gdemami[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Scot said:

Rhoklaw said:

Crypto currencies are the new Pyramid Scheme of the 21st century, nothing more. While some will argue that most government backed monetary systems are of course falsely valued, the fact of the matter is, it's a proven means of economy. As for crypto currencies, every single one of them are designed to accumulate value from nothing, unlike current government currencies that have accumulated value over centuries, mostly starting with gold or precious metals as a backing.

No one anywhere has proven that crypto currencies will actually work and become a stable form of economy. The hype was to move away from central banking to eliminate such things as exchange rates. That's a great idea, but crypto currencies formed out of thin air and have zero backing. That's a HUGE problem and one of the main reasons it's extremely unstable.

I would also like to point out that the whole philosophy of crypto currency was to create a unified form of currency, yet how many different types of crypto currency do we have now? A lot. So in essence, crypto currency has already debunked itself. Multiple forms of crypto currency, none of which have any true value. If it had just been one crypto currency and everyone was on board with using it, then it MIGHT have been taken seriously, but now, it's simply a bunch of Pyramid Schemes and enjoy it while it lasts, because more than likely, one day they will all come crashing down.

It reminds me of the south sea bubble, as it has been taken up by so many. No government endorsement though for cryptocurrency, but people will never stop believing in get rich quick schemes.

Here a difference is that a lot of "work" is going into the schemes, like those old work from home ones that used to flourish (maybe they still do?). Whether you have expensive golden goose video cards making the money for you or grind in game to get it.

As you indicated all monetary systems rely on faith in what backs them up, the issue here is that there is nothing backing up the faith of those putting in other than their greed and gullibility.

P.S. I forgot a great quote; "cryptocurrency combines everything you don't understand about money with everything you don't understand about computers."

That quote in the PS gets an awesome all by it's lonesome.  The rest of the post is pretty good too.  Good job, @Scot and @Rhoklaw.

'Faith-based currency' is my term for cryptocurrency, something you buy with the hope it will be worth something someday.  It is just far too cult-like for my liking.

Scot

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Iselin said:

SamsonMow said:

That sounds ever so benign. Tokens get "issued" and are "earned through playing." Almost sounds like players are just showered with crypto assets with no real world money ever being involved except when they cash out their "earnings" and "issued" tokens.

So how does the game company turn a profit? Inquiring minds would like to know.

We sell ships for Bitcoin or dollars. The INF currency is just a game currency that is portable.
    maskedweasel
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I didn't even look into the monetization because the game looks like cartoon crap so i lost interest immediately.
    Anything Crypto is a joke to me and people buying in to the pyramid scheme are also a joke.

This video I watched awhile ago was an interesting watch.Basically this guy was a former Facebook exec who understands manipulation and marketing.

He was making wild claims of crypto being worth over 100 within a few years,LMAO i think he might even be sipping his own Kool Aid.BTW the video is 3-4 years old so his claim of 100k within a few years is up and NO the crypto value did not make 100+k.

he talks about crypto around the 10 minute mark but overall an interesting watch,well was to me lol.You can tell why he does what he does because he on one hand talks about keeping his kids off the internet/facebook and cell phones but then gets back to who he is manipulating people and their thoughts.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:

I didn't even look into the monetization because the game looks like cartoon crap so i lost interest immediately.
    Anything Crypto is a joke to me and people buying in to the pyramid scheme are also a joke.

This video I watched awhile ago was an interesting watch.Basically this guy was a former Facebook exec who understands manipulation and marketing.

He was making wild claims of crypto being worth over 100 within a few years,LMAO i think he might even be sipping his own Kool Aid.BTW the video is 3-4 years old so his claim of 100k within a few years is up and NO the crypto value did not make 100+k.

he talks about crypto around the 10 minute mark but overall an interesting watch,well was to me lol.You can tell why he does what he does because he on one hand talks about keeping his kids off the internet/facebook and cell phones but then gets back to who he is manipulating people and their thoughts.

Bitcoin will reach 100k this year though.
    lahnmir