Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Isometric RPG Should I Play Next?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
edited March 2021 in General Gaming
A year ago I delved into my first isometric RPG which was Divinity: Original Sin.  I got so hooked on it that I knew I'd found my new favourite genre of games.  Here I am a year later having played both Div 1 & 2, both Pillars games, Tyranny, and Disco Elysium.

I'm now on the lookout for my next isometric RPG, but can't decide what to play.  Ideally I want to play some of the ones released in the past few years before moving on to the more recent ones such as Baldurs Gate 3, but if there's a REALLY good recent one out then of course I'll consider it.

I've been considering either Torment: Tides of Numenera, or Pathfinder: Kingmaker.  For some reason though Pathfinder seems to have mediocre review scores everywhere I look, whereas the game itself "looks" to be really fun, from what I've seen on Youtube.  Is there a reason for the low scores?  Also, Torment has mixed reviews from people complaining that the combat is almost non existent and there's FAR too much reading.  I don't mind reading of course, but prefer to have it mixed with the occasional combat encounter to prevent staleness setting in.

Are either of these worth diving into, or would an alternative be better as my next isometric RPG?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Some good games:
     -Wasteland 2 and 3
     -Dragon Age Origins

I'd also recommend checking out Neverwinter Nights 1 (or nowadays it's Neverwinter Nights Enhanced edition). It's already getting older, but it has so much content and player mods that if you end up liking it can keep you occupied for a long time.
    UngoodTokken

• AugustusGAugustusG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    edited March 2021
    It's becoming old and it's short but I really enjoyed Shadowrun Returns.
    Post edited by AugustusG on
    [Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    There's a relatively new indie game in that genre, Solasta. It's still in early access but very playable.

Their Spring Update coming on March 25th adds the dungeon maker where you can design and share your own dungeons.

Like Baldur's Gate 3, this one also uses the D&D 5.1 ruleset.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1096530/Solasta_Crown_of_the_Magister/

cheyane[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I've been putting a lot of time into an interesting one over the last week. It's called "Empire of Sin"

It takes place in 1920's Chicago

I've been playing it on Microsoft's Game Pass

[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I would recommend Drakensang , IMO its better expereince than any game listed here ..

Would follow that up with its sequel River of Time ..

If you are looking for an actually challenging game , the best offered is