Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Magic: Legends Heads to Open Beta in March | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageMagic: Legends Heads to Open Beta in March | MMORPG.com

After more than 100K Closed Alpha testers helped shape the progress of Magic: Legends it's time for Magic fans who weren't invited to the Alpha tests to join Cryptic for their Open Beta PC launch on March 23rd, 2021.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If it has a cash shop i am not the least bit interested like 0/100000000 interested.I am really tired of scummy business models in gaming.

Build a really good game,SELL IT and that is it,no more strings attached.
    FrodoFraginsGdemamiAlexanderVendiILLISET

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

Wizardry said:

If it has a cash shop i am not the least bit interested like 0/100000000 interested.I am really tired of scummy business models in gaming.

Very few modern multiplayer games without cash shop. Why requirement for this game?
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Nasa said:

Wizardry said:

Very few modern multiplayer games without cash shop. Why requirement for this game?
    Ah he just can't find anything else to complain about atm.
    enesisxlr8
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited January 2021
    I hope Perfect World plays their cards right and not make this P2W. Have microtransactions that are for stash like Path of Exile and cosmetics. I will be a happy camper. I will play and pay. If they sell decks then no.
    Rinswind89

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    So... Diablo?
  • AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247
    I mean, MtG is all about microtransactions, p2w, and lootboxes in real life. Do you really think they wouldn't have all that in a virtual world too?
    JyiigaFoolOfATook39strawhat0981Gorwe
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Assuming New World isn't released by then (I'm assuming it won't be) I'll be jumping into this OB. I've been lurking this game a bit. Looks like it could be fun for some hours.
    AlexanderVendi
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    edited January 2021
    Wait, there's another Magic game?

Edit: It's a.. diablo clone? With only 4 buttons?

Uh, hard pass. Maybe mobile gamers will appreciate it.
  • FoolOfATook39FoolOfATook39 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    If it’s Cryptic, it’s P2W cancer. A game not designed to be fun, but to mind eff you into spending as much money as possible. God I hate Craptic.
    GdemamiRinswind89
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

Jyiiga said:

So... Diablo?

it's quite similar to diablo, you have 4 main skill and random drawn card like magic card, but it's limited amount of random card unlike MTG, but so far no customization of character.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited January 2021
    Well I signed up for the beta but I didn't pay attention to how it worked.  Four skills is a big no but if I get in I'll test it.
  • LamiaCritterLamiaCritter Member UncommonPosts: 85
    ... Maybe give the game a chance instead of bashing it from the get-go?
    iamspamicusGorwesschruppenesisxlr8
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Describing it accurately doesn't equal bashing...

It's basically: take the RNG hotbar of SotA (or from a few singleplayer games), add it into Diablo, tone it down for a possibly later mobile port, call the ability pool (from which your limited hotbar will get its powers randomly) as deck, and use references and card names/descriptions from MtG. There, your Magic game is complete.

What I find curious is it already was covered many times here since the launch, and people are still surprised on its Diablo-likeness, of how it has nothing really from Magic, no cards, no card battles, no (real) deck-building, etc.

Well, since WotC already has Arena for the digital and online Magic, it's logical they didn't want a Shandalar-like game, where you walk around with your avatar and fight mobs with actual card battles.
    Legends won't target the Magic players/fans, it's a mere action game, with the side-effect of maybe guiding a few curious players towards real Magic, either Arena or physical cards.
    Gdemami
  • TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 320
    I'll be giving this a try for sure!
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

... Maybe give the game a chance instead of bashing it from the get-go?

That kind of talk is going to get you put in the stocks if you keep it up.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

Po_gg said:

Describing it accurately doesn't equal bashing...

It's basically: take the RNG hotbar of SotA (or from a few singleplayer games), add it into Diablo, tone it down for a possibly later mobile port, call the ability pool (from which your limited hotbar will get its powers randomly) as deck, and use references and card names/descriptions from MtG. There, your Magic game is complete.

What I find curious is it already was covered many times here since the launch, and people are still surprised on its Diablo-likeness, of how it has nothing really from Magic, no cards, no card battles, no (real) deck-building, etc.

Well, since WotC already has Arena for the digital and online Magic, it's logical they didn't want a Shandalar-like game, where you walk around with your avatar and fight mobs with actual card battles.
    Legends won't target the Magic players/fans, it's a mere action game, with the side-effect of maybe guiding a few curious players towards real Magic, either Arena or physical cards.

It may attract some Magic players and fans based on theme. Likely some of them enjoy mere action games.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    It may attract some Magic players and fans based on theme. Likely some of them enjoy mere action games.
    I'm sure there are some, never said otherwise :)  Just said they're not the target, just as being part of the diablo fans, which are the development target.

(Those "action game enjoying Magic players" won't find any M:tG in Legends, and most likely won't even play it for the M:tG experience, they will play it for the action, just like all those other, non-Magic players around them who come from the Diablo side)

Legends is simply a reach out for a new audience. These types of games are popular now (for some reasons beyond me, never was a fan), they're easy to implement and convert to mobiles which is the treasure trove of the industry recently, thus Legends already has a UI and interface on PC which is very similar to mobile games of this sort.
    Also, WotC just announced (maybe last week) the mobile version of Arena, they're too focusing on mobiles with the "real" M:tG.

If you remember on it, C&C:Renegade was a similar case 20 years ago. It wasn't for the RTS fans either, it was to expand the IP to the shooter fans. If some C&C players liked shooters, that's great and welcomed, but the main goal was to reach into the FPS genre.
  • VoizerVoizer Newbie CommonPosts: 2

Po_gg said:

I'm sure there are some, never said otherwise :)  Just said they're not the target, just as being part of the diablo fans, which are the development target.

(Those "action game enjoying Magic players" won't find any M:tG in Legends, and most likely won't even play it for the M:tG experience, they will play it for the action, just like all those other, non-Magic players around them who come from the Diablo side)

Legends is simply a reach out for a new audience. These types of games are popular now (for some reasons beyond me, never was a fan), they're easy to implement and convert to mobiles which is the treasure trove of the industry recently, thus Legends already has a UI and interface on PC which is very similar to mobile games of this sort.
    Also, WotC just announced (maybe last week) the mobile version of Arena, they're too focusing on mobiles with the "real" M:tG.

If you remember on it, C&C:Renegade was a similar case 20 years ago. It wasn't for the RTS fans either, it was to expand the IP to the shooter fans. If some C&C players liked shooters, that's great and welcomed, but the main goal was to reach into the FPS genre.

I think it will attract MTG fans like myself. I love MTG and I also play MMOs and ARPGs.
    I even started building some decks based on the spoiler information.
    I'm sure they will not be good, but I love deckbuilding:)
    Too bad that although we have 197 cards from the spoiler, most of them don't have a description.
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Been playing neverwinter for years on and off and i have made one single 1$ payment to unlock smt that needed a one time purchase and i have normal characters fully geared etc
    Cryptic's payment model is fair, if you invest time you can get anything from the shop without spending a dime.
  • ILLISETILLISET Member UncommonPosts: 120
    cmacq said:
    Nasa said:

Wizardry said:

Are you saying you like cash shops?  What kind of trashy gamer likes cash shops.  Disgusting 
    Gdemami
  • ILLISETILLISET Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Whats so wrong with 4 skills active at once when Diablo 2 only had 1 skill active at once ahket of basic attack lol.  

Do you expect it to be WoW?  PoE?  I mean there's plenty of things to complain about but the 4 skills isn't one of them in an ARPG. 
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    ILLISET said:
    cmacq said:
    Nasa said:

Wizardry said:

Are you saying you like cash shops?  What kind of trashy gamer likes cash shops.  Disgusting 
    I don't know about cash shops, but there are some games where I would love DLC out the wazoo.

If they had several more fighters passes to Smash Bros Ultimate, I'd happily buy them. If they added all 700 Fire Emblem characters to FE Warriors, I'd buy most of them. If they had chosen to add tons of DC heroes to Injustice 2, I'd have bought a lot of them.