Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SciFi Games to play?

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
Are there any good scifi games out there that are not oriented towards flying space ships?  I've got plenty of fantasy games, and some more coming out that I'm eagerly awaiting (crowfall, new world, a few others.  I know, terrible, a waste, yada yada yada) I would really like something in the line of anarchy

I self identify as a monkey.

Asheram

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,827
    SWTOR that's it from the AAA, SF is really unused in MMORPG land. Even that is a SF with fantasy elements space opera.
    mgilbrtsnAsheram
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited March 2021
    The only games I can think of is SWTOR and STO. STO isn't great, but it's OK if you like Star Trek lore and is pretty populated. Each series of quests are broken up into what are considered episodes like a show. You don't need to spend a dime of real money to play it, and during events they have giveaways for t6 ships, and you can bank dilithium from events for converting to store cash for expanding inventory, ect. Ground cobat can be a bit meh, space combat is ok if you don't mind RPG style spae combat.

SWTOR isn't great, but I think it's better if you subscribe. I haven't played it much in years so I have no idea how it's holding up player-base wise.

AsheramScot
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    They are still working on The Repopulation, albeit slowly.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/322300/eventcomments/3113647550052537511

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Sadly, there's just not enough SF games that aren't about ship ownership.  I'd really like an extreme future tech personal game, but no one wants to build a game around 'classic SF ideas' where the individual achieves; it's all too frequently about where the individual acquires something.  Ships or mechs, it's rarely about the individual character's abilities.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Anarchy Online still best non-starwars scifi game just not a lot of players. Friendly community though!
    TheocritusPo_ggScot
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Pretty tall order since the first thing you think of with SciFi is flying space ships.

I'd have to say Fallout 76 and The Outer World's for 'newer' stuff.

On the older side; SWToR where the spaceship just takes you from planet to planet, STO which leans more towards spaceship stuff, but does include a ground game and SWG Legends where you never have to have a space ship if you don't want to.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited March 2021
    SWTOR ain't oriented to spaceships at all - there's GSF but you can ignore that if you don't like pvp, and there's a lame railway shooter game mode.

AO is really good, but really dated as well, and maybe could win the award for "longest time spent in maintenance mode", Funcom left it behind over a decade now.

Defiance is good, especially if you liked the show too. Fairly small but active playerbase, nice storyline and fun gameplay (if you like Borderline lol, Borderlands-style shooters).
    Drawback, gamigo just announced a few weeks ago the game's cancel...

(my go-to answer for sci-fi would be STO, but the "not oriented towards flying space ships?" kinda kicks it in the knee, space is a pretty large part of the gameplay)
    (also, no idea why I typed borderline, wasn't an unconscious jab, I like the Borderlands series)
    Scot
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Project entropia is sci-fi based but for 99.99% of gamers, id avoid it like the plague. 

It has a real cash economy so every bullet you fire, every decay in armor, every km you drive takes up actual $$$$ but then everything you loot is worth $$$$. 

Dont play the game to make money. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,260
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Are there any good scifi games out there that are not oriented towards flying space ships?  I've got plenty of fantasy games, and some more coming out that I'm eagerly awaiting (crowfall, new world, a few others.  I know, terrible, a waste, yada yada yada) I would really like something in the line of anarchy

Cyberpunk 2077?