Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning MMO Player

FaileasFaileas Member UncommonPosts: 84
edited March 2021 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Alright, I'll try to keep this brief...

I only REALLY started playing MMOs in what I would call the "golden era" of MMOs, this was back in the mid to late 2000s. It was a glorious time to be both young & alive. There were so many quality MMOs being released left and right that it was difficult to choose between which one's to play. Almost every MMO released back then had its own unique take on the genre as a whole. Chronicles of Spellborn, tried to alter the way combat was done by having a rotating skill bar. Warhammer Online with its strong emphasis on RvR. Rift's survival style combat and being able to play multiple roles with one class. Not to mention the distinct artstyles each one of them had. 

For whatever reason, my desire for MMOs has resurfaced and I find myself haplessly scouring the Internet in the vain hope of finding an MMO that's going to devour most of my time again. Sadly, none of the MMOs on the market today or in the foreseeable future look promising to me. I have my eyes set on Ashes of Creation, but even that game doesn't seem to offer up anything new in terms of gameplay. The look & feel doesn't appeal to me either. Same goes for New World.

Recently I've tried playing Blade & Soul, but boy, was that game GRINDY. It felt like every F2P MMO that went before it, except it was repurposed with a pretty aesthetic. How I've been able to tolerate games like that as a youngster is beyond me.

I haven't played Desert Online for that exact same reason. I'm trying to avoid grindfests like the plague, but it seems to be the only thing MMOs have to give right now.

Does anyone else feel the same way about current MMOs? Are there any other MMO dinosaurs like me who miss the "good ol' days" of MMO gaming? Any one else still waiting for that one MMO to sweep them off their feet? Curious to hear your thoughts. :) 

Post edited by Faileas on
UngoodDibdabsAlBQuirky

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Mine is the Everquest and no game with the exception of FFXI has come close to surpassing it. 2010 is way past the time things went south. 
    DibdabsAlBQuirky

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    I see no point in waiting for what may never come. You'd be better off finding something you can at least enjoy somewhat in the meantime.

Are you looking strictly at f2p games?
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • FaileasFaileas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    remsleep said:
    Faileas said:
    Alright, I'll try to keep this brief...

I only REALLY started playing MMOs in what I would call the "golden era" of MMOs, this was back in the mid 2010s. It was a glorious time to be both young & alive. There were so many quality MMOs being released left and right that it was difficult to choose between which one's to play. Almost every MMO released back then had its own unique take on the genre as a whole. Chronicles of Spellborn, tried to alter the way combat was done by having a rotating skill bar. Warhammer Online with its strong emphasis on RvR. Rift's survival style combat and being able to play multiple roles with one class. Not to mention the distinct artstyles each one of them had. 

For whatever reason, my desire for MMOs has resurfaced and I find myself haplessly scouring the Internet in the vain hope of finding an MMO that's going to devour most of my time again. Sadly, none of the MMOs on the market today or in the foreseeable future look promising to me. I have my eyes set on Ashes of Creation, but even that game doesn't seem to offer up anything new in terms of gameplay. The look & feel doesn't appeal to me either. Same goes for New World.

Recently I've tried playing Blade & Soul, but boy, was that game GRINDY. It felt like every F2P MMO that went before it, except it was repurposed with a pretty aesthetic. How I've been able to tolerate games like that as a youngster is beyond me.

I haven't played Desert Online for that exact same reason. I'm trying to avoid grindfests like the plague, but it seems to be the only thing MMOs have to give right now.

Does anyone else feel the same way about current MMOs? Are there any other MMO dinosaurs like me who miss the "good ol' days" of MMO gaming? Any one else still waiting for that one MMO to sweep them off their feet? Curious to hear your thoughts. :) 

I think for many here - the golden days of MMOs go way before 2010 - for me it was 1998-2003 period that was the "peak MMORPG" experience
    I really do wish I was there when EQ, FFXI and DAoC first came out. Whenever I read other people's experiences about those games, they always sounds so mystical and enchanting.  Although I am of the opinion that the game mechanics were more experimental during my MMO days...

I am mostly playing single player games these days - although I do dabble with BDO - but I dont' spend hours grinding there at all. I lifeskill mostly and do some "light" Pve combat - but pretty chill and casual approach.

Yeah, that's more what I am looking for now. I can't afford grinding for hours just to reach another level so I can keep up with my friends. That's never going to happen again I'm afraid. I have too much going on in Real Life, as much as it saddens me to say... :( 

As far as waiting for a new MMO to sweep me off my feet - I am far too cynical for that sadly, I think I go as far as - "well this isn't a total scam - so lets have a look" - that's as far as I go these days.

I don't know... I'm always surprised at how fast technology advances over the years. I think there's still hope for MMOs. I mean, if I got to play a game like BDO back when I was 15ish I'd probably be addicted to it, haha.

As far as what I am going to check out in the future MMO wise - Crimson Desert (assuming it's more MMO and not a single player game), Pantheon (if it ever happens), will play Lost Ark for a few weeks if it ever comes to the west, Diablo 4, Project TL (these are not really MMOs but... I am a sucker for ARPGs). 

Arghhh, I hate ARPGs!!! I don't like looking down on my characters like I'm some aloof Supreme Being, I want to be INSIDE my character and explore my surroundings that way... Project TL DOES look amazing, though. I remember seeing the trailer when it was first announced and was blown away by the combat animation and graphics.

AlBQuirky
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited March 2021
    There's alot out there but the times have definitely changed.....Once WoW came out in 2004, we saw alot of MMOs follow the same pattern: Easy solo play where the communities were not as strong as in the past. Good luck in your search..>You may not be as hard to please as some of us as you started later and are comfortable with the kind of games that are available now.

You're going to hear lots of "ESO, FFXIV, and GW2" recommends but none of those worked for me but may for you.
    AlBQuirkyMikeJezZ
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I am going to suggest GW2.

It's not grindy, at least to be viable.

And you can just screw around and do what makes you happy, or you can follow the story, or you can do both, it's a pretty open door game, a great time killer that is dynamic, with very engaging combat and platforming, but at the same time enjoyable to just stop and look at.

Kyleran[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited March 2021
    I see no point in waiting for what may never come. You'd be better off finding something you can at least enjoy somewhat in the meantime.

Hell no. F2P has completely lost its appeal for me. I'm just looking for an MMO that isn't a grindfest and doesn't have tab targeting for combat. I know there's other MMOs like FFXIV out there that's doing relatively well, but yeah... It's sub-based, and I'm already too familiar with FF as a franchise. I don't want a sequel MMO to anything. I want something brand new and original. 

There's alot out there but the times have definitely changed.....Once WoW came out in 2004, we saw alot of MMOs follow the same pattern: Easy solo play where the communities were not as strong as in the past. Good luck in your search..>You may not be as hard to please as some of us as you started later and are comfortable with the kind of games that are available now.

You're going to hear lots of "ESO, FFXIV, and GW2" recommends but none of those worked for me but may for you.
    I don't think I'm as comfortable as I thought I was, haha. I think I might be even choosier than  most of you. ;) It's strange for me to hear that MMOs have declined since WoW... Wasn't WoW like one of the first MMOs to truly receive outsider acclaim? WoW quickly followed suit after EQ and DAoC, the true pioneers of MMOs. I see WoW as a significant addition to the "Beginning of MMOs", not the "End" of it... That would be very sad. And as you can read from my posts, I was a truly happy camper playing MMO games even after WoW.

Eh, nope. Edit: OMG, I feel so dumb. I read that as FSO, Fantasy Star Online and not as Elder Scrolls Online! I completely forgot about ESO existing. And what... It's actually not sub-based? I'm reading here that it's box-only purchase. Okay, okay, color me intrigued. :) I might give it a try! Thanks for the heads up.  2) I think the artstyle is AMAZING, one of my favorite illustrators ever worked on it but... I'm just fed up with established IPs. 3) Already played it. I was there during OB and pre-ordered it so I could play it at launch. But as soon as I reached max lvl, I got bored of it. Never looked back at it again and never will. 

Ungood said:
    I am going to suggest GW2.

It's not grindy, at least to be viable.

And you can just screw around and do what makes you happy, or you can follow the story, or you can do both, it's a pretty open door game, a great time killer that is dynamic, with very engaging combat and platforming, but at the same time enjoyable to just stop and look at.

Did you play a different game than me? ;) I really didn't think GW2 was all that amazing, haha. I got bored of it relatively quick and the community was, well... Shall I say, lame? I enjoyed it enough to play until max, but not enough to stick around after that. 

Maybe I'm just old and have lost my childlike sense of wonder. :( I started this thread more out of curiosity, though, and to reminisce about the past. Not to receive suggestions on which MMOs to play, haha. But I still appreciate it though! :)
    AlBQuirky
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Abandon all hope ye who enter here.  This site is where MMO players go to die....or at least to bitch about the lack of good, new MMOs.
    KyleranTokkenAlBQuirkyTheocritus
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Faileas said:
    Hell no. F2P has completely lost its appeal for me. I'm just looking for an MMO that isn't a grindfest and doesn't have tab targeting for combat.
    Hell no to f2p, no to grindfest, and no to tab target. That's like a unicorn...

The first you can scratch off right away, there's only two games left in the subscription category, and both are tab target (also kinda grindy too...)

Grind is a shaky subject on its own, almost all games are grindfest at some point - preferably at the end, so at least you can find some fun before that.

So, not tab target, only a grindfest at the endgame, and wasn't mentioned before in the thread: I'd throw in DCUO and Neverwinter.
    Both offer a pretty fun journey until the end (DCUO is short though), but when the grind kicks in, it kicks in hard - chasing the gearscore, the worst kinda grind out there.
    AlBQuirkyFaileas
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    edited March 2021
    Faileas said:

I only REALLY started playing MMOs in what I would call the "golden era" of MMOs, this was back in the mid 2010s. 

What, 2010's?  God, I feel old.  Seriously, on what planet was the 2010's considered the "Golden Era" of MMOs?  :D  Late 90's to early 2000's mate.  In the mid 2010's the rot set in for good.
    FaileasCanPantherKyleranTokkenAlBQuirkyBrainy[Deleted User]cameltosisTheocritus
    edited March 2021
    Abandon all hope ye who enter here.  This site is where MMO players go to die....or at least to bitch about the lack of good, new MMOs.
    Aw. Which good, new MMOs would you recommend then? I think bitching about a lack of something is better than bitching about other people bitching. :)

Po_gg said:
    Faileas said:
    Hell no. F2P has completely lost its appeal for me. I'm just looking for an MMO that isn't a grindfest and doesn't have tab targeting for combat.
    Hell no to f2p, no to grindfest, and no to tab target. That's like a unicorn...

Yeah, I'm looking for the Holy Grail of MMOs. :( Let me know when "Holy Grail the Unicorn the MMO" comes out, will ya? 

The first you can scratch off right away, there's only two games left in the subscription category, and both are tab target (also kinda grindy too...)

I'm not TOTALLY against tab targeting. I'll bear the grunt as long as MMOs provide original storylines and not just "fetch this many flowers and also raid this and that dungeon while you're at it. here's a shitty ore for your painstaking efforts. bye." type of gameplay.

Grind is a shaky subject on its own, almost all games are grindfest at some point - preferably at the end, so at least you can find some fun before that.

Yeah, I'm afraid that's true. Hehe, I usually quit games well before I reach the end of them, so it's not that major of an issue. 

Both offer a pretty fun journey until the end (DCUO is short though), but when the grind kicks in, it kicks in hard - chasing the gearscore, the worst kinda grind out there.

So, not tab target, only a grindfest at the endgame, and wasn't mentioned before in the thread: I'd throw in DCUO and Neverwinter.

Oh... Superheroes... Thanks, but no thanks. Okay, there's another game you can scratch off your list, haha. I think I'm just too damn hard to please after all. ;) Wait a sec, is Neverwinter an MMORPG based on the 'Neverwinter Nights' franchise, or is it just a standalone game based off of D&D? Because I LOVED Neverwinter Nights, but that was decades ago. I've played D&D Online when it first came out, and I... I LIKED it, but I didn't fall in love with it. I don't know why, it wasn't that bad really but it wasn't that good really? It kinda felt like Age of Conan to me. It was OK. Just... OK. Maybe it's not the game that sucks, but the player: Me... I don't deserve you MMOs, sorry. :( 
    AlBQuirky
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Faileas said:
    Aw. Which good, new MMOs would you recommend then? I think bitching about a lack of something is better than bitching about other people bitching. :)

There are no good, new MMOs.  I wasn't bitching about you bitching.  I was bitching about about there being no good, new MMOs.  Because this is where people go to bitch about that sort of thing.  

And now...you are becoming one of us.
    TokkenAlBQuirkyBrainycameltosisMikeJezZFaileas
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    @Faileas lol, maybe we did, we also come from different era's, I started with EQ1, so for me, a huge appeal of Mmo, is being able to explore and make my own fun, which GW2 offers that feel

To each their own
    AlBQuirkyDibdabs
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Faileas said:
    Wait a sec, is Neverwinter an MMORPG based on the 'Neverwinter Nights' franchise, or is it just a standalone game based off of D&D? Because I LOVED Neverwinter Nights, but that was decades ago. I've played D&D Online when it first came out, and I... I LIKED it, but I didn't fall in love with it.
    They're pretty different, and not only because the ruleset under them.
    NN was D&D 3rd (I think, but others may correct me), mainly singleplayer, with optional multi.
    The other two are regular MMORPGs, DDO is 3.5 and Eberron.
    Neverwinter is 4th edition and back to Forgotten Realms (like Nights).

Mouse aim combat, controller support and console versions, not much theory crafting left on the classes (especially after the revamp in Mod16), but still a decent amount of customisation, and the journey to the endgame is fun enough for a playthrough.
    AlBQuirkyFaileas
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The top 3 Western MMOs right now - and I'm confining it to "Western" because they are typically not as grindy - are WOW (still,) FFXIV and ESO.

WOW no longer requires an initial purchase, just a sub, It has changed a lot and there's a permanent free trial to level 20 with as many different characters/classes as you want. After that, it's a must sub to play. PC only.

FFXIV is B2P and must sub. PC and consoles.

ESO is B2P and sub optional. PC and consoles.

My suggestion is that you check those 3 out in whatever order and maybe one of them will draw you in.
    TokkenAlBQuirky[Deleted User]Faileas
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited March 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    How about Vanilla WOW? Classic!
    AlBQuirkyHyperpsycrow

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Faileas said:

Hell no. F2P has completely lost its appeal for me. I'm just looking for an MMO that isn't a grindfest and doesn't have tab targeting for combat. I know there's other MMOs like FFXIV out there that's doing relatively well, but yeah... It's sub-based, and I'm already too familiar with FF as a franchise. I don't want a sequel MMO to anything. I want something brand new and original.

Alright then. Brand new you can eventually get if you wait for one of the upcoming MMORPGs. Truly original depends on how strictly you define it. If you mean in the absolute sense you will never find that. If you mean somewhat different than the norm, that you can find.

ESO is the least grindy MMORPG I have ever played, and can be accessed via subscription or buy to play, but it could loosely be considered an extension of the single player Elder Scrolls games so may not feel new enough.
    AlBQuirky
    edited March 2021
    Faileas said:

There are no good, new MMOs.  I wasn't bitching about you bitching.  I was bitching about about there being no good, new MMOs.  Because this is where people go to bitch about that sort of thing.  

Nay! Ye have not corrupted me yet, ye restless demons!

Behold, my list of fresh MMO games that I haven't tried yet but ought to according to the MMORPG.com's Council of Elders: 

1.) ESO - Huzzah, it doesn't have fetch quests! I think... Class doesn't determine what kind of weapon you can use. That's nice, I've always wanted to play a Mage wielding a big ass sword.

2.) NW - Has 12 races to choose from. That's NEW. It even has Sun Elves! I think I'm going to make a Sun Elf and call him "Sunny the Sun Elf", or "Sunny D"? Hmm... They say character creation is always the toughest phase in any MMO game. The combat looks fun and apparently you have to use your BRAIN. Oh wow, that's amazing for MMO standards. Too bad it's F2P, but I'll take it.  

As far as this thread is concerned, FFXIV and WoW are dead to me. I will never play them, EVER! Hmpf. *arms crossed*

Tokken said:
    How about Vanilla WOW? Classic!

Vanilla? You mean, as in the ice-cream flavor? Vanilla happens to be my favorite. Does that mean I get to eat ice-cream whie I play the game? Yummers. I wonder what the WOW? and Classic! stand for, though. Does the WOW signify how WOW the ice-cream tastes? Hm, but the question mark begs to differ... So it's not that WOW??? What about Classic! Is it classic ice-cream, like Magnums and Cornetto's? The exclamation mark reminds me of a phallic shape, so I'll presume Classic! means Cornetto's! Cornetto's are like phalluses but sweeter. (Am I allowed to make phallus jokes here, or should I refrain from it? :)

blueturtle13 said:
    Runescape 
    No.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    edited March 2021
    Faileas said:
    2.) NW - Has 12 races to choose from. That's NEW. It even has Sun Elves! I think I'm going to make a Sun Elf and call him "Sunny the Sun Elf", or "Sunny D"? Hmm... They say character creation is always the toughest phase in any MMO game. The combat looks fun and apparently you have to use your BRAIN. Oh wow, that's amazing for MMO standards. Too bad it's F2P, but I'll take it.  
    Sunny D? It's always Sunny in Faerun D phia :)

A sidenote to the "Too bad it's F2P, but I'll take it." closing:
    as I mentioned it to cheyane in the other thread, odd but Neverwinter actually has a sub (weird* for a game built as f2p), and its perks are near p2w.
    20-25% quicker advancement on everything, more drops, party-wide HP buff, etc.

*weird in the sense of f2p games usually sell those perks in the cash shop, that's why they are f2p games.
    Neverwinter added the VIP program 2 years (and 7 Modules) after launch, they could've easily put those perks straight into the shop...
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited March 2021
    Po_gg said:
    Faileas said:
    Sunny D? It's always Sunny in Faerun D phia :)

A sidenote to the "Too bad it's F2P, but I'll take it." closing:
    as I mentioned it to cheyane in the other thread, odd but Neverwinter actually has a sub (weird* for a game built as f2p), and its perks are near p2w.
    20-25% quicker advancement on everything, more drops, party-wide HP buff, etc.

*weird in the sense of f2p games usually sell those perks in the cash shop, that's why they are f2p games.
    Neverwinter added the VIP program 2 years (and 7 Modules) after launch, they could've easily put those perks straight into the shop...
    They have a sub? Sorry I must have missed your post before, they never had one when I played and kept filling my inventory with rubbish. I enjoyed the game but I left because of that actually. I know, lame, but I guess I was not too interested in the end or I might have persevered.
    AlBQuirkyFaileas
    Chamber of Chains
    edited March 2021
    cheyane said:
    They have a sub? Sorry I must have missed your post before, they never had one when I played and kept filling my inventory with rubbish. I enjoyed the game but I left because of that actually. I know, lame, but I guess I was not too interested in the end or I might have persevered.
    Yep, there was no sub in the first two years, Neverwinter is maybe the only game in the sea of "sub games switched to f2p" which went the opposite direction, f2p game switched to (optional) subscription :)

Maybe they realised there's more cash in that, compared to a purely f2p offer. Taking recurring money from the players, instead of on top of the ad-hoc purchases.
    AlBQuirkyFaileas
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    kitarad said:
    Mine is the Everquest and no game with the exception of FFXI has come close to surpassing it. 2010 is way past the time things went south. 
    EverQuest was my MMOROPG way back when. It was far from perfect but at least had depth with an abundance of activities besides combat and Norrath (its world) was a joy to explore.

Most MMOs today are just built as "single player games with others", and most players today prefer that kind of game. I don't fault as to each their own, right :)

Like others here, I mainly play single player games these days. Whewn I get an MMO itch I will play either Wizard101 (a kind of "kiddie" setting) or GW 2 if I'm desperate. Wizard101 is not F2P (if you're curious) but does have it first combat zone (Unicorn Way) that you can try as a demo. Or you can sub for $9.95 USD. You can also purchase zones separately (there are lots of zones) and dungeons.

I do you wish you luck in finding something that grabs you again, but don't hold your breath :)
    TheocritusFaileas

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    edited March 2021
    What are you looking for in an MMO? Are there any items / features you DON'T WANT to see? Are you willing to (re)play older MMOs?
    AlBQuirky
    Faileas said:
    Faileas said:

Nay! Ye have not corrupted me yet, ye restless demons!

Behold, my list of fresh MMO games that I haven't tried yet but ought to according to the MMORPG.com's Council of Elders: 

1.) ESO - Huzzah, it doesn't have fetch quests! I think... Class doesn't determine what kind of weapon you can use. That's nice, I've always wanted to play a Mage wielding a big ass sword.

ESO has good quest variety, all well presented, varying in scope from small isolated stories to extended campaigns. There isn't much fetching to be had.

Sorcerers can wield two-handed weapons quite well, so long as you focus on building up stamina and select a race suited to stamina based play.
    ScotAlBQuirkyFaileas
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    ESO or Lotro, maybe look at SWL, SWG and FFXIV. Bit difficult to tell from OP's post what sort of MMO he would lean to.
    AlBQuirkyFaileasHyperpsycrow