Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valheim EA

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Asheram said:
    Seems like we have to send Wizardry to the Greyling Rehabilitation Institute too. Maybe him and remsleep can share a cell err room. ;)

Wizardry how about you play and gush over the games you want to play and I will do the same with the ones I want to (which wont be ark/atlas), especially in my own damn thread.

Why is he even trying to compare a game that started development in 2014 and fully released (with bugs and all) in 2017 to a game that has only been out in EA for a month.

What if they are really anti-game lemmings pretending they are gamers, but find it difficult because they don't play any game and hate them all?

Asheram[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyILLISET
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    AlBQuirky
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited March 2021
    Asheram said:
    That was funny. I turned all the earth moving and screen shaking off. It will give me a massive headache if I left it on. I can barely tolerate watching a video with it on.
    AlBQuirkycheyane

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    AlBQuirky
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    So, I tried ARK: Survival Evolved for the first time this week.

I gotta say, I had way more fun in that game than I did in Valheim, despite the fact that they are basically identical.

Main things that put ARK above Valheim for me:

1) Dinosaurs!
    They just add so much to the game. They are great to look at visually. They are dangerous to fight. They are fun to tame. They are very useful to ride or to use to gather resources.

2) Server Settings
    I was playing co-op with my brother and he setup the session, giving us much quicker gathering speeds, double resources and a few other bonuses. This meant we had to spend far less time doing the boring stuff (gathering) and far more time doing the fun stuff (exploring, building, fighting, taming). I understand there is a mod for Valheim that now does this sort of thing - valheim+ - but would have been great to have out of the box.

3) Setting / theme
    Despite being a vikings fan, I found the world of valheim pretty boring and I wasn't inspired to explore much. By contract, the tropical island in ARK kept me excited when exploring, both for the beautiful vistas as well as the exciting dinosaurs.

These are just personal preferences ofc, like i said, the games are basically identical in terms of gameplay so there really isn't much difference at all. I think I'll give Valheim another shot with valheim+ so I can cut down on the boring gathering part.
    AlBQuirkyKyleranAsheram
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    I think the gameplay is dramatically different between ARK and Valheim. 

Personally I just could never get into ARK.  Of the ARK games... I really enjoyed Dark and Light for a shirt time (it has super limited content) and I liked ATLAS (private server).  I just could not get into ARK, even though it was the basis for the other two.

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited March 2021

I gotta say, I had way more fun in that game than I did in Valheim, despite the fact that they are basically identical.

1) Dinosaurs!
    They just add so much to the game. They are great to look at visually. They are dangerous to fight. They are fun to tame. They are very useful to ride or to use to gather resources.

2) Server Settings
    I was playing co-op with my brother and he setup the session, giving us much quicker gathering speeds, double resources and a few other bonuses. This meant we had to spend far less time doing the boring stuff (gathering) and far more time doing the fun stuff (exploring, building, fighting, taming). I understand there is a mod for Valheim that now does this sort of thing - valheim+ - but would have been great to have out of the box.

3) Setting / theme
    Despite being a vikings fan, I found the world of valheim pretty boring and I wasn't inspired to explore much. By contract, the tropical island in ARK kept me excited when exploring, both for the beautiful vistas as well as the exciting dinosaurs.

These are just personal preferences ofc, like i said, the games are basically identical in terms of gameplay so there really isn't much difference at all. I think I'll give Valheim another shot with valheim+ so I can cut down on the boring gathering part.
    So couldnt you have made a Ark thread to post this in?
    The Greyling Rehabilitation Facility is filling up fast.
    cheyaneAlBQuirkykitaradKyleran
    Asheram said:

1) Dinosaurs!

2) Server Settings

3) Setting / theme

So couldnt you have made a Ark thread to post this in?
    The Greyling Rehabilitation Facility is filling up fast.

As both games are basically the same thing, as well as being in the same genre, and I recently bought and tried Valheim, I felt it was appropriate for this thread.
    AlBQuirky
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    edited March 2021
    undefined

Vikings... the new trend.
    AsheramAlBQuirkykitarad

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

edited March 2021
    cheyaneAlBQuirkykitarad

AlBQuirkykitarad
    So very Valheim 

AlBQuirky
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FaileasFaileas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Tokken said:
    undefined

What's with all the viking theme'd games coming out recently? Supposedly there's a viking MMO coming out called Odin Valhalla Rising this year. From what I've heard it's going to be F2P, but I could be mistaken. I don't know if I'd be bothered to play it though, vikings aren't exactly my cup of tea... They were bloodthirsty barbarians with no manners. ;) Give me an MMO about Hindu lore and mythology... Much more deep and profound.
    AlBQuirky
    remsleep said:
    Faileas said:
    What's with all the viking theme'd games coming out recently? Supposedly there's a viking MMO coming out called Odin Valhalla Rising this year. From what I've heard it's going to be F2P, but I could be mistaken.

Odin Valhalla Rising - you mean that asian anime themed "viking" game where girls are in high heels with the stereo-typical high pitched anime voices?

It's so "viking" lol

Just because you take a generic asian MMO and you slap "Odin" in the title - doesn't really mean that you managed to do the actual Viking theme any justice
    Haha, okay. You're right. I thought the name sounded a little suspicious when I read it for the first time. Odin... Valhalla... What else sounds vinking-y enough? Thor? Odin Valhalla Thor! Let's add Rising there for good measure. ;) Hm... On closer inspection it does look very... Asian. Too bad for the one's who were hoping to play an actual viking MMO then. Maybe if they removed the anime chicks it would have more potential. :) 
    AlBQuirky
    remsleep said:
    Some studios just shouldn't do certain themes - 

Imagine going down to a ranch town in Texas - and asking the locals to do a project that is "Ch'in Dynasty of the 3rd century B.C" theme.

It's not going to be authentic  - I can guarantee you that.
    Actually, I could imagine that... And as a matter of fact, I would wholeheartedly embrace it. I'd love to see how a little Texaian town handles "Ch'in Dynasty of the 3rd Century B.C". It's probably going to be an exciting mixture of wildwest meets cool Chinese dragons and martial arts. 

Korean Studios - probably should not do Viking themes, not by re-skinning existing assets and using the existing asian game voice packs - I mean there's low effort and then there's "at least we tried very hard".

Aw man, give them a break will ya! It's just their take on things. Nobody has a monopoly on culture. I'm pretty sure that the Scandinavians of today with their neoliberalism would not fit well with the Viking's "sense" of warmongering politics.

As much shit as I give BDO - PA at least managed to pull off a western looking theme pretty well for the most part.

Have you seen the trailer for Crimson Desert yet? It looks SO, SO Western. Dem characters look more Western than I do, it's scary. I'd be interested to see what the storyline is going to be like, but from the looks of things it's most likely going to be a gamified "Game of Thrones". And I don't just say that because the main character looks like John Snow's twin brother...
    AlBQuirky
    remsleep said:
    Crimson Desert - looks fantastic - BDO in many parts looks fantastic as well - I always thought that was a strong point of Pearl Abyss games - graphcis.
    I haven't played BDO... YET, I had to stop myself from playing it because I've heard too many people complain that it's just another surprise, surprise, Korean grindfest. The graphics do look amazing, but I'm scared to death that I'm going to end up heartbroken if I invest anymore of my time on it.

I am waiting to hear more details on Crimson Desert - specifically the MMO elements - because they started off saying it's more like a single player game but now are more and more talking about MMO elements.

So curious to see what it ends up being

If Crimson Desert turns out to be an MMO, I'm going to loose my sh*t. Finally an MMO that looks EXACTLY like my wildest dreams. Fingers crossed...

I hope they do it justice and not another fem-boy like the archer :/

Oh my Lord, he looks prettier than me and I'm a girl. :( 

AlBQuirky
    Faileas said:
    Tokken said:
    undefined

What's with all the viking theme'd games coming out recently? Supposedly there's a viking MMO coming out called Odin Valhalla Rising this year. From what I've heard it's going to be F2P, but I could be mistaken. I don't know if I'd be bothered to play it though, vikings aren't exactly my cup of tea... They were bloodthirsty barbarians with no manners. ;) Give me an MMO about Hindu lore and mythology... Much more deep and profound.

It's just a time delay issue.

Vikings have become very popular on TV. The main series "Vikings" is pretty awesome, then you've got series like The Last Kingdom and Norsemen on top of others which have broadened appeal over the last several years.

But, it takes a long time to make a game, which is why it's taken a while for that trend in television to make its way into the gaming world. I'm happy it is though, I love the viking aesthetic and the lore (even though a lot of the aesthetic is completely made up)

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    remsleep said:
    Faileas said:

Oh my Lord, he looks prettier than me and I'm a girl. :( 

The archer in RL would be in the top 1% prettiest girls on the planet

Black Desert Online Archer Awakening Winter Events  Xbox One Pre-Orders  - MMOscom

He makes me want to turn gay. Even though he is a guy, so technically it wouldn't be gay, but I still feel weird... 

Black Desert Mobile gets the Archer and Fletcher next week opens  pre-creation today  Massively Overpowered

His gaze is so dreamy... *swoon*

zayu zayu

I know what class I'm going to play next... Umf. >:)
    cameltosisAlBQuirky
    Torval said:
    This is a Valheim thread, not BDO. Can we stay on topic please?
    Sorry, got a bit carried away there.  o:)

Faileas said:
    Tokken said:
    undefined

Vikings have become very popular on TV. The main series "Vikings" is pretty awesome, then you've got series like The Last Kingdom and Norsemen on top of others which have broadened appeal over the last several years.

But, it takes a long time to make a game, which is why it's taken a while for that trend in television to make its way into the gaming world. I'm happy it is though, I love the viking aesthetic and the lore (even though a lot of the aesthetic is completely made up)

I tried watching "Vinland Saga" (viking anime), but I found the amount of voilence and unnecessary bloodshed too offputting. I've heard many good things about "Vikings", so I might give it a shot, but usually the gruff-n-tuffness of these shows don't do much for me. Now for the delicate features of the Archer from BDO on the other hand... ;)

So, what I wanted to ask about Valheim is, is it ever going to become an MMO, or will they stick to only 1-10 players? Can random players join your game, or do you have to invite people in? I don't want to invite people to play a game with me. I just know they're going to decline my invites anyways... :(
    AlBQuirky
    Faileas said:
    Torval said:

Faileas said:
    Tokken said:
    undefined

I tried watching "Vinland Saga" (viking anime), but I found the amount of voilence and unnecessary bloodshed too offputting. I've heard many good things about "Vikings", so I might give it a shot, but usually the gruff-n-tuffness of these shows don't do much for me. Now for the delicate features of the Archer from BDO on the other hand... ;)

So, what I wanted to ask about Valheim is, is it ever going to become an MMO, or will they stick to only 1-10 players? Can random players join your game, or do you have to invite people in? I don't want to invite people to play a game with me. I just know they're going to decline my invites anyways... :(
    No I doubt the engine can handle beyond 10 people. I password protect my games because I don't want some yahoo to come in and destroy my structures. I will really be ready to kill if that happens. Been spending ages on my buildings.
    AsheramAlBQuirky

kitarad said:
    Faileas said:
    Torval said:

Faileas said:
    Tokken said:
    undefined

No I doubt the engine can handle beyond 10 people. I password protect my games because I don't want some yahoo to come in and destroy my structures. I will really be ready to kill if that happens. Been spending ages on my buildings.
    WHAT, but that would be awesome! If some yahoo came into my game, and started destroying my structures I would just walk up to him and be like: "HEY, WHAT DO YOU THINK  YOU'RE DOING! GET BACK HERE!!!" and then chase after him, throwing axes behind his back in an attempt to murder him. Now that's fun. :) Not if he just vanishes without a trace, though, that would suck... Maybe if they did a Cooldown period after joining each game... 
    AsheramAlBQuirkykitarad
    Faileas said:
    kitarad said:
    Faileas said:
    Torval said:

Faileas said:
    Tokken said:
    undefined

WHAT, but that would be awesome! If some yahoo came into my game, and started destroying my structures I would just walk up to him and be like: "HEY, WHAT DO YOU THINK  YOU'RE DOING! GET BACK HERE!!!" and then chase after him, throwing axes behind his back in an attempt to murder him. Now that's fun. :) Not if he just vanishes without a trace, though, that would suck... Maybe if they did a Cooldown period after joining each game... 
    I am sure you will get that pleasure just leave your game open. You can customize it to your liking so if you want someone to destroy your structures just leave it without a password.
    AlBQuirky

kitarad said:
    Faileas said:
    kitarad said:
    Faileas said:
    Torval said:

Faileas said:
    Tokken said:
    undefined

I am sure you will get that pleasure just leave your game open. You can customize it to your liking so if you want someone to destroy your structures just leave it without a password.
    Not sure about dedicated servers but if you open up your sp server to community you have to put a password, and when you log off no one can join it.
    AlBQuirky