Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion: Remove Discussion Buttons (Agree, Awesome, LOL, WTF, etc)

TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,129
The buttons at the bottom of a post: Agree, Insightful, Awesome, LOL, and WTF were an interesting way for others to add input on a discussion without cluttering up a forum with simple replies. Instead of users spamming "+1" "WTF" or "AGREE" or "LOL" they could just click the button. the idea is that it keeps discussions cleaner.

I like the idea behind the buttons because it lets people know I've read and thought about their comment while leaving a lot more room for others to post their thoughts. The problem is the idea sort of fell flat and failed. Those of us who post a lot still do and those who aren't comfortable still don't. Meanwhile the system also introduces a couple of problems. It hasn't improved discussions and if anything it has reduced the quality.

1. It creates a brigade and bandwagon scenario where popular comments get upvoted and encourages others to hop on that bandwagon of support or criticism.

2. It creates a huge trolling opportunity. It's no secret we have some posters here who love to troll legitimate comments and this just provides them that opportunity to spam their trolling with no repercussions.

Removing these buttons I think would encourage people to actually comment and make a valid point if they want to hop on the bandwagon. It would also remove the ability to troll discussions without having to post a comment. If trolls have to post then they will have to actually think up an intelligent response or face the consequence of trolling.

What do you think? Our old forum format didn't have these buttons and discussion quality was arguably better then. Do you think removing these would help improve our discussions and posts? I think it would.
traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

Should we ask MMORPG to remove discussion buttons?
  1. Should discussion meta buttons (Agree, Insightful, Awesome, LOL, WTF) be removed?2 votes
    1. Yes
      100.00%
    2. No
        0.00%

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,844
    edited February 13
    I did a thread on should we keep the coloured titles which we get from those buttons being pressed. I thought it might hold back newbies from joining, nearly everyone said no.

My own signature has always given away my thoughts here, we just don't need these buttons, but over the years I am not as anti as I once was, still you get my vote. 

I agree with you we don't need the buttons, but then people will complain how will my title go up? :)
    Post edited by Scot on

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,129
    I agree with your point about the colored titles too. They're not bad in concept but I do think they alienate new users and undermine community confidence in their posts. I thought about bringing up the colored titles because I think they're directly connected, but wanted to stay focused.

So I am in favor of removing the color titles and poster ranks along with the comment buttons.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and for the support.
    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 13,181
    I cannot vote on the poll. Site seems bugged. Anyhow, I would vote no.  Simple reason is because the LOL button keeps Capt. LoL entertained and removing it will cause her to post more frequently.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• FaileasFaileas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Okay, so who cares about pixelated "Titles"? I never understood the need for rewards. I'm not going to feel better if some rando likes my post or not. I just want to be able to make new Threads so I can finally get a conversation going that I genuinely care about, instead of having to respond to other threads with meaningless banter... That's just not how I roll. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME MMORPG.COM! I HAVE SO MUCH TO GIVE!!! :(
  • FaileasFaileas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Faileas said:
    Okay, so who cares about pixelated "Titles"? I never understood the need for rewards. I'm not going to feel better if some rando likes my post or not. I just want to be able to make new Threads so I can finally get a conversation going that I genuinely care about, instead of having to respond to other threads with meaningless banter... That's just not how I roll. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME MMORPG.COM! I HAVE SO MUCH TO GIVE!!! :(
    Okay, never mind. I felt so stupidly elated when I received the "Uncommon" badge, earning the hard way to start my own threads... I'm so pumped now! Grr!!! >:)