Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO without the gathering...Is it doable?

CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
So, yesterday I picked up the Greymoor expansion for cheap.  ESO is the only MMO I enjoy playing on the couch with a controller and I really like the story.  That said, I haven't even loaded the new expansion because somewhere between Morrowind and Cyberpunk, I have become tired of the gathering and crafting component of western RPGs.  I just can't handle another game that expects me to spend more time picking up stuff out of jars and crates than I do killing stuff.  Too much tedium for me.

That said, I really enjoyed the story and I wanted to see how the Skyrim chapters play out.  Is it possible to completely avoid the dozens of urns in every room and just play through the story and some light LFG dungeons without ever having to craft anything?
BruceYee

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    edited February 2021
    So, yesterday I picked up the Greymoor expansion for cheap.  ESO is the only MMO I enjoy playing on the couch with a controller and I really like the story.  That said, I haven't even loaded the new expansion because somewhere between Morrowind and Cyberpunk, I have become tired of the gathering and crafting component of western RPGs.  I just can't handle another game that expects me to spend more time picking up stuff out of jars and crates than I do killing stuff.  Too much tedium for me.

That said, I really enjoyed the story and I wanted to see how the Skyrim chapters play out.  Is it possible to completely avoid the dozens of urns in every room and just play through the story and some light LFG dungeons without ever having to craft anything?
    You dont need to craft in ESO, you can make money other ways and just pay crafters to do what you want done. That being said, you will spend just as much time making money other ways to be at the whim of other crafters. When they are free, when they have the resources etc. I suggest you pick one crafting type and just max it out and get in a guild with other crafters that can support each other. Thats less time trying to max all crafting types or gather for all crafting types.
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Nanfoodle said:

You dont need to craft in ESO, you can make money other ways and just pay crafters to do what you want done. That being said, you will spend just as much time making money other ways to be at the whim of other crafters. When they are free, when they have the resources etc. I suggest you pick one crafting type and just max it out and get in a guild with other crafters that can support each other. Thats less time trying to max all crafting types or gather for all crafting types.
    It's not even the crafting per se.  It's the gathering that I'm trying to completely avoid.  I just think about all the junk littered all over the world and it just makes me want to put off playing.
    BruceYee
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Nanfoodle said:

It's not even the crafting per se.  It's the gathering that I'm trying to completely avoid.  I just think about all the junk littered all over the world and it just makes me want to put off playing.
    Its my fav part of ESO. Most useful crafting system I have seen in a MMO since SWG. Its all relative I guess =-)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Yes, you don't need to craft at all.
    Cuddleheart
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Rhoklaw said:
    Someone who enjoys MMORPGs, but hates the gathering portion...

I'd say you are simply burnt out, unless you never enjoyed the gathering of resources in MMOs, in which case, it's a matter of whether crafting is important. If you enjoy crafting or feel compelled to craft, than I'm afraid the tedious gathering of materials is a necessity to complete that portion of the game.

As someone pointed out already, you could just buy the materials from the market.
    It's not gathering I don't like in MMOs.  I love the crafting in UO, Albion, and Archeage(last I played).  It's seriously just the western RPG crafting system I don't like.  Everything is in containers everywhere on on everything.  Cyberpunk felt like a series 10-minute play sessions followed by five minutes of looting everything. 

I just want to enjoy the story, meet some people, and kill some monsters.

BruceYee
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

You should be totally fine just playing to enjoy the story without bothering about gathering or crafting. The mobs drop gear and other loot and the overland content and most non-vet dungeons are pretty easy.

That said, if you have a nice set of purple quality gear and have the right food/potions it will make a story-focused playthrough even more enjoyable. Note that this assumes you are level 50 and at least CP160, otherwise don't bother with the purple gear and just wear what you find along the way.
    Cuddleheart
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The buff from crafted food in ESO is rather massive so you'd be 10-15% (just guessing but it's in that range) "under-geared" without it.

But you can buy good quality food at reasonable prices from guild vendors. It may not the BIS food for min-maxers but good enough. That BIS food changes all the time when new recipes are added, typically with each chapter or zone DLC so it's in high demand and pricey because it usually needs rare ingredients.

Just buy blue quality crafted food that buffs your health + your main stat (stamina or magicka.) And you typically do want the blue food not the purple that buffs all 3 stats because there's a trade-off: the purple quality buffs all 3 stats for a lesser amount than the buff for 2 stats you get from blue.

Other than that you'll be just fine.
    BruceYeeCuddleheart
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

And the crazy part about that in ESO is that chances are very high that there is an urn or pot/box you missed that did have a recipe that would sell for a lot. I can't count on ten hands how many times I'd let my group go ahead just to collect stuff to find relatively expensive recipes. IMO if you are in any way serious about amassing wealth in ESO bypassing certain lootable items is something you shouldn't do.

Feeling like you're being ripped in two between crafting/gathering and pve/combat wasn't a pleasant experience for me. I tried doing only crafting/gathering for a while but that was only providing a percentage of the full ESO experience so I stopped playing all together for about a year that time.
    YashaX
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122

Crafting is optional, as is gathering.

If you want to advance in the Mage's Guild as part of your character build interacting with every book you come across is required, at least until you open up what you desire. At least you don't have to page though the longer ones on top of that as well.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Rhoklaw said:
    Someone who enjoys MMORPGs, but hates the gathering portion...

I'd say you are simply burnt out, unless you never enjoyed the gathering of resources in MMOs, in which case, it's a matter of whether crafting is important. If you enjoy crafting or feel compelled to craft, than I'm afraid the tedious gathering of materials is a necessity to complete that portion of the game.

As someone pointed out already, you could just buy the materials from the market.

I don't really subscribe that thinking at all.

Isn't the idea, or at least the original idea of an mmorpg, to be some sort of world? so if someone doesn't like gathering they can do something else and buy items off of others.

Heck, I NEVER gathered or crated in lineage 2 and I did quite well. Of course, you would help guild members get items or drops but one didn't have to do it themselves.

You saying that mmorpg's = gathering is the same as someone saying mmorpg = pvp.

or raiding. Or any number of activities that have their fans as well as their detractors.

cameltosisYashaXIselin
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    edited February 2021
    I never craft in MMOs because it's usually "spend very tedious amounts of time gathering resources, then spend more very tedious amounts of time making useless vendor crap to very tediously make crap only useful to lowbies".  I get so bored with it.  I con't mind crafting in games like Ark and Valheim because the grind is a lot less.
    YashaX
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Dibdabs said:
    I never craft in MMOs because it's usually "spend very tedious amounts of time gathering resources, then spend more very tedious amounts of time making useless vendor crap to very tediously make crap only useful to lowbies".  I get so bored with it.  I con't mind crafting in games like Ark and Valheim because the grind is a lot less.
    The way crafting works in ESO is better than in most other mmos- you can actually make useful gear, but yes I agree that crafting/gathering is done much better in games like Valheim. Its not simply that the grind is less, its more that the "grind" feels meaningful and is better incorporated into the overall game loop.
    [Deleted User]