Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SEC Approved Microsoft's Purchase Of ZeniMax, Clearing One More Obstacle In Acquisition's Path | MMO

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageSEC Approved Microsoft's Purchase Of ZeniMax, Clearing One More Obstacle In Acquisition's Path | MMORPG.com

It looks like Microsoft officially got one step closer to finishing its acquisition of ZeniMax as the SEC has cleared the deal today.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Hm, when SEC has to approve buy-outs of company kinda ruins a free economy );.
    IselinGdemami[Deleted User][Deleted User]Alomarmmolou
  • SequriemSequriem Member UncommonPosts: 24

Renoaku said:

I guess a rationale for it would be to restrain monopolies in a way? Since it's a big scale purchase and Microsoft is involved I'd assume they wouldn't want to let Microsoft to "consume" every company they can into them.

Although, I have no fucking clue and it's just the first thing that I thought about. Also, I'm unsure if Microsoft buying Zenimax is a good thing(?), do they also get ownership of established game like ESO? Or the developed games stay within Bethesda domain?
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Sequriem said:

Renoaku said:

I guess a rationale for it would be to restrain monopolies in a way? Since it's a big scale purchase and Microsoft is involved I'd assume they wouldn't want to let Microsoft to "consume" every company they can into them.

Although, I have no fucking clue and it's just the first thing that I thought about. Also, I'm unsure if Microsoft buying Zenimax is a good thing(?), do they also get ownership of established game like ESO? Or the developed games stay within Bethesda domain?
    Microsoft gets also ownership of Bethesda as part of this sale.
    Sequriem

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited March 2021
    Renoaku said:
    If we didn't have regulation and some party would gain strong enough position to control part of the economy, it would not be free economy any more since it would be controlled.

Even if state regulation is not ideal, it's more free than the alternative.
    GdemamiMcSleazValentinaOctagon7711[Deleted User][Deleted User]Alomar

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2021
    I used to be ok with Mucrosoft for many years but i have seen a real blatant move towards money rules over all.

Microsoft years ago claimed the ywere getting out of the gaming business,out of the console business but are ever invested more than ever.
    As the publisher i have seen an ever increasing move to rush games out way earlier than they shoudl be resulting is very half assed games and over priced as well.
    Microsoft knows how easy it is to market and sell a product with a fancy video and just knows how easy it is to sell games now a days at higher prices than should be.

As a game studio we knew what Flight Sim and Age of Empires?Well what they try and sell from the AOE remakes is a complete joke,nothing more than a cheap cash grab,no real effort at all.When i saw SOT selling for $80 on release i was like RU kidding me,people need their head examined to pay that for such garbage.Doesn't matter Micrososft knows people will pay it and it the game receives backlash,who cares,they got their money,move on to the next BS sale.

So for me personally,i will NOT buy anything with Microsofts name attached to it,not to mention they piss me off with their W10 abuse and forcing updates on to us.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Renoaku said:
    Here's to hoping that we don't forget/ignore learning from the past.
    GdemamiGladDog

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Renoaku said:

Yeah, but at some point, that company could become a monopoly or so big that it can use its leverage to "ruin a free economy."

I'm ok with having these things looked at. It's not a perfect system but at least it's something.
    GdemamiGladDog
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Renoaku said:
    If an industry only has two companies competing in it and they propose a merger so that the combined company can have monopoly pricing power, do you think that should be allowed or not?

Obviously, the game software industry isn't anywhere remotely near that, with its many competitors and low barriers to entry.  But that's why the deal was approved.  A proposed merger of Microsoft with Google or Apple probably would be rejected.
    Gdemami
    SEC is a criminal institution...a puppet in the hand of rich people that steers the markets in their direction and stands on the neck of their competitors when needed. Notice how SEC often does not provide clear regulatory framework and instead just goes directly to litigation.

At least that rotten apple Clayton is now gone. Lets see if anything changes with Gensler.

I am not even from the US and still my portfolios are often negatively affected by this regulator as I do invest in the US companies and tech.
    It is always the case that regulatory agencies have interests of their own rather than merely serving the best interests of the general public.  It is sometimes even the case that they get captured and effectively controlled by some particular special interest, which is sometimes but not always the very companies that they are supposed to regulate, and sometimes special interests that are openly hostile to that industry.  That is one of the reasons why regulation typically doesn't work as well in practice as you might hope in theory, but it does not mean that regulation does not work at all.
    Gdemami
    Wizardry said:
    I used to be ok with Mucrosoft for many years but i have seen a real blatant move towards money rules over all.
    As opposed to all of those other companies that don't care about making money and would prefer to go bankrupt?

I don't see a problem with remakes of old games.  They don't prohibit you from continuing to play the old version if you already own it.  They sometimes provide additional options to play the old game on newer hardware that cannot run the old version directly.

As for Window 10's automatic updates, Microsoft is fighting against the tendency of malware to spread by exploiting bugs that Microsoft had long since fixed because a lot of people disabled updates.  At a personal level, it would be nice to have the option to opt out, but at a societal level, there are benefits to everyone else being forced to at least install security updates.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

SEC is a criminal institution...a puppet in the hand of rich people that steers the markets in their direction and stands on the neck of their competitors when needed. Notice how SEC often does not provide clear regulatory framework and instead just goes directly to litigation.

At least that rotten apple Clayton is now gone. Lets see if anything changes with Gensler.

I am not even from the US and still my portfolios are often negatively affected by this regulator as I do invest in the US companies and tech.

I mean it's up to each company if they want to sell to (X) company or not if Microsoft runs to Instagram for example and offers to buy it out for a billion dollars, they have the right to refuse, but in my eyes SEC should not exist.

Meanwhile big tech companies are often lawsuit for monopoly, take Fortnite for example, if people don't like Epic then they aren't going to use it, and Apple / Google do have the right to remove the APP from the store, but they don't want the right to keep people from playing it on their devices.

Even look at Game Stop / (GME) what happend there if i'd have bought out gamestop at like $2 a share months ago even 20 shares i'd have quite a bit of money because of the memes, but SEC stepped in I believe it was them and cancel all trades ruining peoples (Free economy) costing people lots of money / Robbin Hood for that matter.

Free Economy, and Constitution in my eyes is what matters over any SEC laws its up to the people what they want to do but never should anything have to be approved.

Lets also take a look at patent trolls (Specifically) VLSI LLC, basically a company that owns some patent, but using that to lawsuit Intel years later rather than the moment their designs were released, this stuff actually happens too much.
    Renoaku said:
    Meanwhile big tech companies are often lawsuit for monopoly, take Fortnite for example, if people don't like Epic then they aren't going to use it, and Apple / Google do have the right to remove the APP from the store, but they don't want the right to keep people from playing it on their devices.
    Apple very much does claim the right to stop people from running apps that they disapprove of on their devices.  Google only claims the right to kick it out of their store, but that you could still get it by other means and they won't stop you from doing that.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    What a game plan, and looks like it's going to pay forward.

Buy minecraft, was really buying an enormous worldwide army of young gamers.

And now they will all walk into gamepass as they mature.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L