Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel Rocket Lake is mostly slower than Ryzen 5000 series, while using far more power

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
Some retailers broke the embargo and started selling Intel Rocket Lake CPUs before they were supposed to.  So AnandTech bought one and reviewed it now, far before the official NDA ends on March 30.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535/intel-core-i7-11700k-review-blasting-off-with-rocket-lake

They got their hands on a Core i7-11700K.  That is not the top bin, as there is also a Core i9-11900K clocked about 200 MHz higher.  But they reviewed what they could.

The top line conclusion is that the 8-core Ryzen 7 5800X beat the Core i7-11700K at nearly everything, and usually comfortably.  And the Ryzen CPU did so while using far less power than the Intel CPU.  Intel won handily in the AVX-512 test, though it came at the expense of the CPU hitting 104 C with a high-end air cooler.

But you can't buy the Ryzen CPU, you say?  It's in stock at MSRP right this second on New Egg:

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-5800x/p/N82E16819113665

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Honestly I'm more interested in the Xe Graphics benchmarks, just so I can try to divine what the new discrete GPU cards may clock in at.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Ridelynn said:
    Honestly I'm more interested in the Xe Graphics benchmarks, just so I can try to divine what the new discrete GPU cards may clock in at.
    The GPU is the same architecture as the integrated GPU in Tiger Lake CPUs that have been available in laptops for a while.  It's a different process node, but the discrete GPUs will be a different process node yet.  There's also the complication that Rocket Lake will have the memory bandwidth limited by DDR4, and the GPU has to share it with the CPU, too.
  • gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    and they will both be beat by an m1x being charged by a drunk hamster running in a wheel.
    remsleep said:
    Quizzical said:

But you can't buy the Ryzen CPU, you say?  It's in stock at MSRP right this second on New Egg:

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-5800x/p/N82E16819113665

The thing is what many gamers are looking for is a $299 5600x.

Newegg has it jacked up to $385 lol

Amazon won't have it til April 7th at $299 - which I doubt will stay in stock for more than 10 seconds.

I am personally (like many others) not buying any PC upgrades until i can get a new GPU - not a lot of good would a new Ryzen do anyone without a graphics card.
    One SKU staying in stock at MSRP for days at a time is better than no SKUs in stock at MSRP.  It's not the final outcome that we're hoping for, but it's progress.
    [Deleted User]
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    The MicroCenter near me has had a lot of 5600X's in stock lately at the base $299 price. Seems AMD kicked the production into high gear. Either that or people got scared about the reports of a higher than normal failure rate, whether accurate or not, and decided not to buy.
    Forgrimm said:
    The MicroCenter near me has had a lot of 5600X's in stock lately at the base $299 price. Seems AMD kicked the production into high gear. Either that or people got scared about the reports of a higher than normal failure rate, whether accurate or not, and decided not to buy.
    Production has been in high gear for months now.  AMD's revenue in Q4 2020 was their highest ever for a quarter, and up 53% year over year.  A sudden spike in demand for year old products wouldn't make sense, and there aren't enough GPUs arriving at retail to drive that sort of revenue spike.  Zen 3 chiplets are the obvious explanation.

Demand is tapering off some because a lot of the people who were clamoring for one already have it by now.  But EPYC Milan is coming soon, which will be another major use for the chiplet, as that should be by far the best server parts on the market.  AMD will presumably launch another Threadripper generation at some point, too.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Forgrimm said:
    AMD's been producing quite a lot of Ryzens since they launched.

I think that the initial shortage was just caused by extra demand due to pandemic, on top of extra demand due to new product launch, on top of extra demand due to Christmas season. Now that at least Christmas season is over and extra demand due to new product launch is falling off, the inventory is slowly creeping back towards normal.

Vrika said:
    I think that the initial shortage was just caused by extra demand due to pandemic, on top of extra demand due to new product launch, on top of extra demand due to Christmas season.
    On top of extra demand from it being the largest jump in high end CPU performance that we've seen in a single generation at least since Sandy Bridge (2011), if not Conroe (2006).
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Guess I did well in buying my 5800x then!
    Ridelynn

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.