Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pass on Outriders

k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
Well finally got to try the Outriders game after waiting for a while to give it a go.  Had been keeping tabs on it for a while.  The dev streams always looked really great.  The game itself not so great.

First off you can't jump.  Don't understand why anyone would make a looter shooter today that you can't jump in.  The game doesn't do anything new at all, which isn't that important to me to be honest. 

If you are going to try and rely on older type of gameplay then it better feel fluid and good.  This game feels neither of those things.

It had the typical no one can log in day one stuff, for a demo no less.   The demo is suppose to be a representation of the final game, not a beta so keep that in mind if you try it out.

They had frame rate for cinematics locked at 28 which was horrible for pc gamers.  They stuttered and the camera was shaky as hell.  The devs said that will not be the case for release but will wait and see. 

Motion blur is a huge issue for a lot of people right now.  No way to turn it off without going into the ini files and doing it yourself.  Again devs stated that there will be a toggle for release but again wait and see.

The AI for the mobs is not that great.  You just run you and blow them away.  Some abilities lock onto one enemy and let the others just run by. 

Overall if you really want to play a game that feels like Mass Effect but different story then this might be for you because that is what it feels like.

Mendeldelete5230FrodoFraginsGdemami

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    No jump? How could they miss that?
    ILLISETGdemami
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    It's basically a mix of the division, gears of War, and destiny 2. The combat isn't as solid as gears or the division. 

It's a basic mash up, where they seem to want to bring the best parts of each game under one title.. but so far I haven't been overwhelmingly impressed. Plus you can only get to level 7 which I'm really close to already, so the demo doesn't really show enough yet for me to really determine if the costs are worth it. 

Just like the division they are banking on world tiers as far as I can tell, as a standard for progression. I'll consider playing it if I have a dedicated group but without a group I don't think this would keep my attention long. 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited February 2021
    I'm downloading the demo to confirm I cannot play it. I kid you not because these types of games are generally a little too difficult for me to fight in so I like that I don't have to pay the game price to discover that I cannot play it. No point thinking I might be able to.

I did this with the demo of Shadow of the Tomb Raider discovered the jumping and climbing was way too hard for me. I kept falling to my death so it was good to discover that in a demo. I really appreciate games that go the extra step of providing a demo.

I always manage to convince myself I can play something even when I clearly know I really cannot like Borderlands 2. I know that First Person Shooters make me sick but I thought the FOV increased to max would be enough. After a punishing headache that took 3 hours to go away and nausea I uninstalled. I bought the game though but luckily in a sale. I really need to kick myself to stop doing stupid things like this.

There is a 3rd person mod for Borderlands 2 but I haven't checked that out yet.
    MendelJensynkitarad
    Chamber of Chains
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    cheyane said:
    I'm downloading the demo to confirm I cannot play it. I kid you not because these types of games are generally a little too difficult for me to fight in so I like that I don't have to pay the game price to discover that I cannot play it. No point thinking I might be able to.

I did this with the demo of Shadow of the Tomb Raider discovered the jumping and climbing was way too hard for me. I kept falling to my death so it was good to discover that in a demo. I really appreciate games that go the extra step of providing a demo.

I always manage to convince myself I can play something even when I clearly know I really cannot like Borderlands 2. I know that First Person Shooters make me sick but I thought the FOV increased to max would be enough. After a punishing headache that took 3 hours to go away and nausea I uninstalled. I bought the game though but luckily in a sale. I really need to kick myself to stop doing stupid things like this.

There is a 3rd person mod for Borderlands 2 but I haven't checked that out yet.

I always like to demo a game before I consider paying for it.  Too many games just don't do demos anymore.

I gave this a try, knowing I probably wouldn't want to play it.  I just wanted to see what the FPS side of the equation was like and where it was compared to Doom and other ancient games.  I was not happy that the game wanted a Square Enix account, separate from my Steam account.  I was even less happy that the game wouldn't return me to Steam (start/stop are the first game elements a game needs)!  I had to force Steam to Uninstall the game.

I feel the advertisement (the other post from System) could and should have mentioned the need for a Square Enix account.  I don't like/want my account information overseas.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    I’m going to finish the content in the demo but Outriders didn’t wow me to purchase it or keep playing like the Division 2 did. It’s better than Godfall, Anthem, and Avengers in my opinion. I had fun blinking around as the Trickster shotgunning enemies.

From the developer that made Bulletstorm, they somehow made a game that is funnier and not in a good way. The acting and story is terrible. The devs wanted to show they could make a “serious” game but maybe they should bring back the camp for their next title. 
    Gdemami
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Tiller said:
    No jump? How could they miss that?
    Gears of War clone
    Gdemami

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I do not like the shaky cam during cutscenes.
    It lacks flow, for lack of a better word.
    I really like the ruined Earth background and how it is presented in the prologue.
    I love how the surroundings look.
    I hate how the characters look.
    I like the world tiers.
    Gears of the Division.

Anyone thinking any serious changes will still be made to the game at this point is in for some serious disappointment, what we play now is pretty much a promo of a 99% finished game. I don't think its bad though, its got just enough of a The Division foundation to keep me slightly interested.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    It's always odd when people see a genre is popular, then 5 years later make a simplified version and wonder why it doesn't do well. The best looter games in the biz are all beyond complex and most require you to keep the wiki on another monitor. Stop making shallow games. You've got an entire generation of gamers coming up who play deep games like minecraft and fortnite(not memeing, fortnite isn't an easy game). They don't want low skill ceiling, low depth, low replay-ability churned out titles.
    Gdemami
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Utinni said:
    It's always odd when people see a genre is popular, then 5 years later make a simplified version and wonder why it doesn't do well. The best looter games in the biz are all beyond complex and most require you to keep the wiki on another monitor. Stop making shallow games. You've got an entire generation of gamers coming up who play deep games like minecraft and fortnite(not memeing, fortnite isn't an easy game). They don't want low skill ceiling, low depth, low replay-ability churned out titles.

People want a variety of things. Perhaps they are hoping to find an audience that likes this type of game but wants less complexity. There is more than one generation playing games. Not everything is devoted to the new kids on the block.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2021
    I'm surprised they gave a demo after seeing the price on Steam the other day.

I was thinking of Sea of Thieves that sold for 80 bucks,i doubt anyone buys that game if they got to demo it so of course Microsoft had no demo.

You would think the devs are confident in their product if they give you a demo.I will have to try the demo myself,it still looks good enough to at least try.
    I read some posts,i question ANYONE that says the Division had complexity ..lol.
    There is only one shooter i have EVER played that actually took real mad insane skills as a shooter and that was UnrealTournament.Inanse to think a shooter started back in 98 is still to this day the most skillful shooter ever made.

maskedweasel

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Utinni said:
    I umm... what? In what universe is Destiny complex? It's beyond simple, and only getting simpler. Warframe also isn't complex - it's a needlessly obtuse "wiki game," and even that is concerning where to find things, not the gameplay experience itself.

The looter shooter genre could use more complexity, because it sorely lacks it.
    Gdemami
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sadly the UI ruined this for me.If you play for example Phantasy Star you'll likely be fine with this but not my ideal setup.I tried the controller...nope,wong again.

The one thing gaming MUST be for me is extremely comfortable to control,the UI must be simple.I don't want to control two different joysticks on the controller plus the pad as well,a big no thanks.

The game also did not seem to adhere to my keybinds often enough leaving me pushing E and Q a lot.I can't stand WASD setups,i won't game if there is any actions revolving around that setup.
    I sense a very linear game,you can't wander anywhere.The idea of having to HOLD a button to attain the action,again a BAD idea.

This is what i want from a shooter,FBLR wheel for cycling weapons with 2 keybinds for preferred weapon quick selections.

Another big turnoff although i didn't do it was seeing my biggest peeve >>ROLL aka somersault,big turnoff for me.
    I also feel WE the players should have come rolling in driving these vehicles,a missed opportunity here.

IMO likely a decent game/world there but the interactions and locked CS during dialogue feels way too slow,non immersive and just not my ideal design.I bet MOST people will be hitting the SKIP SKIP SKIP.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.