Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 getting a huge overhaul of the companion system

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
edited March 2021 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
With all the buzz around D2 Resurrected and D4, Diablo 3 is making some noise of its own with the upcoming thorough overhaul of the companion system now in testing on the PTR and scheduled for release on the base patch accompanying Season 23.

First of all they will now be able to equip gear in all 13 slots (14 counting their special Relic) instead of just their current weapon (weapon and shield for the Paladin) 2 rings and 1 amulet. Additionally some of the legendary items they can wear in their new slots will act on both, the companion and the player the same as as if the player was using it equipped or in Kanai's Cube. They can even wear some crafted sets such as the Sage's that doubles the number of Death Breath drops.

Many of the skills have been reworked to give a bonus to the player that is variable depending on the companion's core stat on their gear and some skills are dumped and new ones are added. Most notable of the additions is that all 3 companions now have an ability that confers a "cheat death" on the player similar to the skill all classes already have. You can either have 2 cheat deaths with this (both on a timer) or better yet, drop the cheat death you currently use and replace it with a better passive.

You can read all the details on the PTR patch notes or watch Rhyker's video below for a run down of the new features:

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

alkarionlog

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    It's nice but pointless unless they add a Solo Self Found ladder.  They are asked to add one all the time but they simply ignore the question.  Playing meta four man groups means you'll progress in their stupid infinite paragon system MUCH faster.  So the solo leader boards are filled with botters or people that run those meta 4-mans.

With D2R releasing the incentive to return to D3 will be even lower.
    strawhat0981Iselin
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    It's nice but pointless unless they add a Solo Self Found ladder.  They are asked to add one all the time but they simply ignore the question.  Playing meta four man groups means you'll progress in their stupid infinite paragon system MUCH faster.  So the solo leader boards are filled with botters or people that run those meta 4-mans.

og you can bet they will botch it anyway
    Iselin
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

After 600+ hours of D3 across three different platforms I am very, very ready for D2R.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    I remember back when Hardcore meant something. But Hardcore can't mean anything when a game's Always Online, it's too easy to get a RIP because of reasons completely out of your control.

Interesting changes though.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Yeah, assuming D2R is good (crossing my fingers and toes), that'll be my only ARPG for the foreseeable future.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited March 2021
    Torval said:
    Companion system? It's been a while since I played D3. I have some research to do I guess. What does a companion in D3 offer for game play reasons? I can already solo Torment levels. Does it matter what level I can solo or duo with a friend?

D2 remastered looks okay for a bit but I feel like I would be going backwards. D2 doesn't really have more content than D3 and I played the hell out of D2 so I'm not that excited about it.
    Well soloing these days in D3 doesn't mean just "torment levels" to most. Torment 16 is the highest torment level and that's equivalent to greater rift 75. That's just the start for those who still play it regularly (and despite what this POE-loving site would have you think, there are 10s of thousands of those.) GR 100+ which is a difficulty that would be roughly equivalent to Torment level 21 if torments went that high is doable for any experienced player with a good build.

While doing that you just always have a companion (outfitted with their immortality relic since before this revamp they're not viable after torment 6 or so without it.) Their use is some of the skills they use on timers that buff things like your crit chance, resource regen, heal you, etc. They are just a part of the D3 ARPG system even if other ARPGs (except torchlight and maybe others, I forget) didn't copy that part of it. Diablo 2 also has them called "hirelings" there. 

There are even a couple of items they can use currently that help you. There's the Unity ring that as long as both you and him have one equipped you get 50% less damage from all sources and another ring that can proc a brief circle on the ground that gives you +85% damage dealt if you stand in it.

They also have some CC skills they can do although many players turn off those abilities if they're min-maxing their build and want to proc their own CC at the exact best time for sometimes huge damage spikes. They don't want the companion proccing theirs at the wrong time because of the CC immunity that can give the mobs, making your own CC when you want it less effective or not at all.

So yeah, even at the hardest difficulties they are a part of every solo build. It's not a matter of having robofriend help you do what you couldn't do without him. They're treated like part of your own build even if their help is currently small.

The correct way to look at them for end game purposes with this overhaul is that they're essentially becoming walking, additional, limited item pool, cube slots beyond the 3 Kanai cube slot max limit.

That's what people who currently push solo well past GR 100 are excited about with this change. It's not just a boost for noobs (although it'll be useful for them too) but more so for the top GR pushers who are min-maxing the crap out of everything.

A couple of the items they will now be able to equip and work just like if you equipped them, the Nemesis bracers that spawn an elite pack every time you activate a shrine or pylon, and the Flavor of Time necklace that doubles the time for pylon buffs are items that top players currently use for speed runs (the bracers) or for GR pushing (the necklace) when they're pushing GRs in the 130 or 140+ range.

[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited March 2021

True. Most solo leaderboard top pushers grind their gear and most importantly, the Paragon levels needed to even think about GR 130+ pushing, in group play or botting, and then get their names in lights in the solo boards.

It really does need a true solo leaderboard.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    Thanks for the info and tips. It is very informative. This might get me to install the Blizzard Launcher again just to check it out.
    It just went on the PTR this past weekend so it'll be 3-4 weeks before it goes live.

I'll happily keep messing around with Last Epoch until then :)
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Torval said:
    Companion system? It's been a while since I played D3. I have some research to do I guess. What does a companion in D3 offer for game play reasons? I can already solo Torment levels. Does it matter what level I can solo or duo with a friend?

D2 remastered looks okay for a bit but I feel like I would be going backwards. D2 doesn't really have more content than D3 and I played the hell out of D2 so I'm not that excited about it.
    Same here my friend. I'm only excited to play D2R on my Switch. Will be a fun on the go game. Otherwise I'm looking forward to D4. 
    [Deleted User]
    Yeah D2 had hirelings. https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Hirelings

The original Diablo didn't as far as I can remember.

I doubt Last Epoch will do a full release this year although it is currently very robust and bug free. They have 12 of the 15 advanced classes done and the final act of the campaign is not currently available.

But it's one of the few early access / beta games I have ever played that is very polished at this stage with many QOL features already in (best customizable loot filter I have ever seen, great and very functional stash system, etc.) Having a blast playing it right now.
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Hmmm the way people talk on the forum I always assumed D3 was garbage and passed on it.....IS it just because it didn't surpass D2 that people were disappointed?
    Gdemami
    Hmmm the way people talk on the forum I always assumed D3 was garbage and passed on it.....IS it just because it didn't surpass D2 that people were disappointed?
    Maybe that but also it got a deserved bad rep with severe launch issues and for the first year or 2 it was all about the real money auction house experiment. For that RMAH to work they severely clamped down on good item drops so for a looter RPG the loot drops were pretty lame. It also had no end game.

That all changed with the Reaper of Souls expansion when they got rid of the AH, improved drop rates and added a legit end game which although simple, works well enough for retention. It's also supported well enough with regular updates, additions to the item pool, etc.

It's not a bad game at all and a lot of people still play it.
    Gdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

That's not really a sound strategy. Forum complaints are often relentless and exaggerated, with many clinging to issues long past such as their long abandoned auction house which have nothing to do with the game today.

I personally think the main issue people have with D3 is that it is more casual than previous games in the series which some find greatly distasteful.

Default difficulty is much easier. Stats can't be customized and there are no ability trees to progress though. Character abilities and slots open up as you level, as well as modifiers for them. Character passives and slots do as well. With no prerequisites other than that players can cherry pick whatever they like from those available, and also change those choices at their whim with no associated cost.

Many feel the above is all bad and what D2 has is all good.

But, in my view it is just different. Though D3 is much easier at default it can be optionally be made much more difficult so there is more challenge there for those that seek it. D3 is more streamlined and makes broken builds impossible. where D2 is a bit more complex and lets you break your build as badly as you want. However, D2 allows more nuance in character design than D3 due to more build factors being involved.

I've played both and find each good in their own way.
  • ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189
    edited March 2021
    D2 Resurrected looks awesome!!! I definitely want to try it---

Shout out to other great ARPGS:
    Magic  & Mayhem 1 & 2
    Titan Quest
    Fate by Wild Tangent
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 417
    Very nice. One of my problems with D3 has always been watching good ancient/primal ancient items get discarded as they’re not in the right Set. Now you can play around with items that maies your companion the ultimate support tool. You can also level up gems and boost their stats directly. It’ll be really cool