Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Releases Their Latest Newsletter - 'Back on Track with a 90 Day Plan' | MMORPG.com

Comments

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    ... 90 years plan is more realistic
    YashaX
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I had a 90 day plan too, to visit the game (alpha client) at least once every 90 days. And I too failed, at least I am not going to try to do it again.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    Kyleran said:
    LeFantome said:

remsleep said:

90 day plan...

OK. I believe it THIS time!

Media sites should stop covering this - as long as news are giving them a voice- the scam will continue.

Exactly, MMORPG.com should not encourage that kind of behavior .
    What kind of behavior are you referring to? The behaviors I witness are 1) Being extremely transparent with their backers, 2) Putting millions of his own money to fund the project, 3) Using all the crowdfunding money to develop CU, 4) Paying their developers a fair wage, 5) Continually hiring new developers, 6) Opening a second studio to speed up the hiring process, 7) Having a no-question-asked refund policy that allows backers, even those who participated to the tests for years, to get a full refund.

(As for the refunds, I'm aware that they do not honor their 90-days policy, but there were unpredictable events that occurred in 2020 (Covid-19, lockdowns, massive wave of refunds) that led to the overwhelming delays and Mark decided to go to the office to process the refunds only on the week-ends to avoid bumping into someone in the building who has Covid-19) 
    1) when's the target release date.
    2) so he claims, did you see the cancelled checks?
    3) screenshot or it didn't happen
    4) you work there or something, else how would you know?
    5) to replace the ones who leave, net employees doesn't appear to have increase since early last year.
    6) because it took him a year or two to realize no one wanted to relocate to Virgina, bad location choice for main studio.
    7) plz, let's not even go near the refund policy which definitely had lots of questions asked in order to obtain one even before COVID-19.  As for the massive wave of refunds...self inflicted wounds.

1) If they knew, they would likely share it with us. At this point there are still too many unknowns to even try to estimate a release date. Many studios (like Blizzard I think) adopt the mantra "it will be ready when it's ready".

2) Basically there are 40+ developers working for CSE. Over the 7-8 years of development, let's say that there were in average 30 developers working on CU specifically in the last 7-8 years. The average salary for a game developer in the US is about $83,250, based on the average salary of software engineer, developer, programmer and c++ developer. So if we make the count: 7 1/2 years * 30 developers * $83,250 = $18,731,000. That's not including both offices leases, equipment, software, insurances, etc. So let's say the budget is more like $21,000,000. Now only $4,400,000 comes from the crowdfunding, the rest (possibly $16,600,000) comes from Mark, Mark's sister and Abandon Entertainment.

3) The crowdfunding money is long gone (they received the biggest chunk of the crowdfunding money during the Kickstarter in 2013, and then during 2013-2016 if I'm correct). At that time there were no FS:R to fund, so I assume that all the money got used on Camelot Unchained (salaries, office leases, insurances, servers, etc.)

4) https://www.federalpay.org/paycheck-protection-program/city-state-entertainment-llc-fairfax-va "Based on their reported 38 jobs retained, this equals an estimated average yearly compensation of $80,822 per employee."

5) They've never had as many developers working on CSE games. This includes however FS:R developers.

6) At least one engineer did actually relocate if I recall correctly, but opening a second studio was probably a good decision as there are a lot more developers in Seattle area than in Fairfax.

7) By "no-question-asked" I meant that they don't ask why the backer is refunding, or vetting if the reason is acceptable or not. Of course they have to ask for personal information like the transaction ID, which is needed to process the refund.
    joshisanonymousYashaX
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited March 2021

LeFantome said:

remsleep said:

90 day plan...

Media sites should stop covering this - as long as news are giving them a voice- the scam will continue.

What kind of behavior are you referring to? The behaviors I witness are 1) Being extremely transparent with their backers, 2) Putting millions of his own money to fund the project, 3) Using all the crowdfunding money to develop CU, 4) Paying their developers a fair wage, 5) Continually hiring new developers, 6) Opening a second studio to speed up the hiring process, 7) Having a no-question-asked refund policy that allows backers, even those who participated to the tests for years, to get a full refund.

(As for the refunds, I'm aware that they do not honor their 90-days policy, but there were unpredictable events that occurred in 2020 (Covid-19, lockdowns, massive wave of refunds) that led to the overwhelming delays and Mark decided to go to the office to process the refunds only on the week-ends to avoid bumping into someone in the building who has Covid-19) 

Is MJ your Daddy? Or is this him in disguise? This was a scam for him to license and market his own engine, we all know it except you. This game will be an engine demo for sales purposes, nothing more.
    Gdemami
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    I find it hilarious that the guy who helped create Dark Age of Camelot has gone on to create WHO, an unfinished AAA MMO and whatever Camelot Unchained is. Of course he had enough funds and time on his hands to make that other game The Final Stand: Ragnarok. Which if I'm not mistaken, he actually cried over due to the piss poor reaction from the community. To which he apologized for because of the flood of refund requests being sent in. Well, guess what, just a couple months ago, they released a news letter and created a website for that very same game and this is one of the Dev Streams showcasing it's progress... Good grief Charlie Brown!

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/569891542
    If I recall correctly, he didn't apologize for the game, he apologized for the way he handled the announcement, thinking that offering a free game to all his backers would make them happy.

Also CSE got funding for both CU and FS:R last year, and they hired new developers specifically for CU, and a few for FS:R. The amount of resources needed to create FS:R was pretty small since all the work had already been done on the engine over the years.

As long as they did not use CU's crowdfunding money to develop FS:R and it doesn't slow the development of CU, I think they've got the rights to create whatever game they want with a separate team of programmers/artists.
    No offense, but FS:R was not requested by the backers. He didn't even ask them if they wanted something to mess around in or if they should focus on CU development. Mark Jacobs wasted time and money on something the backers never asked for, plain and simple. He sure as hell was sobbing in an aftermath video because of the backlash he received from the community. Instead of setting that crap aside, apparently they continued to develop said game behind everyone's back. You do realize people were requesting refunds and he was refusing or delaying the process right?
    I agree that FS:R was not wished or requested by the backers. It's a PvE title that has little to do with CU, and in January 2020 we were teased a "big announcement" and we all thought it would be about CU. So I understand how many people were disappointed when we learned about FS:R. But I also believe Mark genuinely thought it would be a nice surprise to see that they'd created a new game that all the backers could play (for free) while we wait for CU, and especially since FS:R didn't take much resources to build. Also they probably hadn't really a choice to accept the FS:R clause in the latest investment round, because it was the only way (if I'm correct) to receive additional funding for CU.

After he had announced FS:R however he did not develop the game "behind everyone's back", he was openly talking about it and even discussions took place on the official CU forums.

Refusing the refunds, no, when they receive a refund request they do begin exchanging emails with the backer and add him on the list with all the other backers. Delaying, yes, but not necessarily on purpose: from what I've understood Mark is the only one who processes the refunds and he has to be in the office to use the sole computer that has access to the refund information, but he's going only in the week-end because (if I'm correct) during the week days he fears to bump into someone in the building where the office is located and risk catching Covid-19. But I agree that they should find ways, quickly, to honor their 90-day policy, whether it's spending more time in the office, setting up a new computer at home to process the refunds, delegating refund tasks to another employee, etc.
    edited March 2021
    Mark Jakobs just needs to shut up and disappear and take his shit with him. Even his echo-chamber, the massivelyop users, finally had enough and ran him off.
    I suggest visiting the official forums, the reddit, the Twitch and MassivelyOP comments, Discord, etc. to figure out that Mark still has a lot of support. Echo-chamber, probably sometimes, but it can also be based on facts and logical reasoning rather than blind faith.
    edited March 2021
    tzervo said:

1) Being very snarky/snide/unprofessional/downright rude to people in comment sections. Branding the game as "beta" since 2018, to give a false semblance of good progress, while still presenting concept art today.

3) Announcing work on Final Stand:Ragnarok while years behind schedule on CU.

7) People waiting a full year now for the refunds, BS excuses for the delays.
    1) I've rarely seen Mark being very snarky/snide/unprofessional/downright rude but I guess it happened. If someone gets harassed by the same person over and over again, at some point I guess it's "the straw that broke the camel's back". I do not condone this kind of remarks but I can understand why it happens. Yet I believe 99.8% of his communications are very respectful so it's not a big deal either.

3) Yea that sucked. I would have much preferred that they announce something big for CU instead of a PvE game. But Mark has been paying the price for this side-game for a year now (insulting messages, refund requests, rejection, etc.)

7) That's unfortunate and hopefully, as I've written above, they can find ways to quickly fix this issue and refund backers' money faster.
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited March 2021
    90 day plans are typically for new Executives or creditors.  Pretty lame if it is serious... basically triage.
    Gdemami
    edited March 2021
    Viper482 said:

LeFantome said:

remsleep said:

90 day plan...

Is MJ your Daddy? Or is this him in disguise? This was a scam for him to license and market his own engine, we all know it except you. This game will be an engine demo for sales purposes, nothing more.
    MMORPGs typically earn a lot more money than the average MMO engine. If CU gets a successful launch (for a niche game) with let's say 50,000 players, and that they charge us $10 per month to play the game, plus the box (~$40), that's about $8M of revenues just for the first year (compared to a lot less for licensing an engine). They have all the incentives to finish CU and make it a great and successful game.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Mark Jakobs just needs to shut up and disappear and take his shit with him. Even his echo-chamber, the massivelyop users, finally had enough and ran him off.
    I suggest visiting the official forums, the reddit, the Twitch and MassivelyOP comments, Discord, etc. to figure out that Mark still has a lot of support. Echo-chamber, probably sometimes, but it can also be based on facts and logical reasoning rather than blind faith.
    OK.  Next time the servers open (I assume next weekend) I will load up both CU and Ragnarok.  I will see how much of this supposed support is actively participating in each.

Of course, due to the NDAs I won't be able to post what I see, but both you and I and anyone else who checks in will know the truth at that point.

KyleranGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

OK.  Next time the servers open (I assume next weekend) I will load up both CU and Ragnarok.  I will see how much of this supposed support is actively participating in each.

Of course, due to the NDAs I won't be able to post what I see, but both you and I and anyone else who checks in will know the truth at that point.

I wrote specifically about support (supportive messages) on different platforms, not about in-game activity.
    Sovrath

I wrote specifically about support (supportive messages) on different platforms, not about in-game activity.
    Well THAT'S certainly not a good sign...
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited March 2021

Deleted.  Do not want to break NDA
    Gdemami

edited March 2021

Well THAT'S certainly not a good sign...
    It seems like you're presuming that the activity in-game is low based on my previous message, which was unrelated to that matter. I do not know how many players test the game during the week-end. But I think the tests consist (from what I've read in monthly updates and latest Twitch videos) in running around in the forest finding bugs, so I do not expect hordes of players online.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Keeping up appearances is important in the light of chronicles, there! good for the next 3 months, what a life, oh wait F, forgot those pesky screenshots, ok then 3 months to come up with a couple new screenshots.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I'll try make this short.First of all i get extremely bad vibes about this game and Mark.I never knew before this site that he was behind DAOC,never cared because the game was bad.I was even more stunned to find out just today that he was behind Warhammer ..lol.I had an extremely negative view of the Warhammer team when i watched several of those videos they were putting out.

IDk if he Citystate was broke or if he simply took the Covid relief loans because he can and no sweat on him personally.

His biggest investors are the same people who backed his past ventures "they must be blind as bats"then again people think Diablo and Valheim are good games lmao and have funded SC multiple millions.I was very shocked to see this business started in 2011...WTF !!!10 years and this is where he is at?I realize they made some mobile game but geesh ,what is that 4 months of work?
    Lastly i assume these investors are the reason Ragnarok.MY gut feeling is that all of this is just a playground for his past buddies I never have nor do I see any serious game design here.

What I have yet to figure out is if Mark is delusional in thinking he has been doing a good job or just pulling a con job.So many people in this world that are easily coerced into following the pied piper.I didn't even know crowd funding has been around that long,man alive is time flying by quickly.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ILLISETILLISET Member UncommonPosts: 120

remsleep said:
    90 day plan...

Scams usually don't have 24x3 testing going almost every week-end, open to all the backers that donated at least $25 on KS or $35 on CU store. Neither do they consist of the head of the studio pouring millions of his own dollars in a project he believes in. And don't rhyme with a company that got two studios with +40 developers.

They also usually aren't transparent as letting all their backers know exactly what they're working on, exactly which features and systems, art, bug fixes, etc. are being worked on, with lengthy 8,000 words updates, hours long stream with Q&A open to everyone, available on social media platforms, Discord, MassivelyOP, reddit, etc.

edit: changed quote (vaporware -> scam)

800 word updates? More like 200. Just being accurate.
  • ILLISETILLISET Member UncommonPosts: 120
    I will say this, Mark has nothing pressing him to rush this except himself this time. Before with his other MMORPGS that wssnt the case. We know he can make great MMORPGS. If this game isn't amazing when it comes out then maybe it really was a scam. I doubt that's the case though.
    Gdemami
    ILLISET said:

remsleep said:
    90 day plan...

Scams usually don't have 24x3 testing going almost every week-end, open to all the backers that donated at least $25 on KS or $35 on CU store. Neither do they consist of the head of the studio pouring millions of his own dollars in a project he believes in. And don't rhyme with a company that got two studios with +40 developers.

They also usually aren't transparent as letting all their backers know exactly what they're working on, exactly which features and systems, art, bug fixes, etc. are being worked on, with lengthy 8,000 words updates, hours long stream with Q&A open to everyone, available on social media platforms, Discord, MassivelyOP, reddit, etc.

edit: changed quote (vaporware -> scam)

800 word updates? More like 200. Just being accurate.
    If I'm correct the monthly update has 3,100 words, the newsletter has 5,900 words, a total of 9,000 words for this month.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

LeFantome said:

remsleep said:

90 day plan...

You won't make me cry.. There are plenty of examples of why this project is a scam. Google it.
    BTW, it takes over a year to get a refund if you want one. Once again, you can look on their official forum.
    Gdemami

edited March 2021
    Torval said:

Deleted.  Do not want to break NDA

The fact that they're hiding behind NDA after all this time just reinforces my skepticism.
    One of the advantages of an NDA is that the studio doesn't have to constantly polish each new test map, to a point where it's visually on-par with modern MMO games, before releasing them. They can create simple and functional maps that testers will use to find bugs and provide feedback. In the same way, all the animations, models, systems, etc. can be released and tested earlier, before they're polished, as no screenshots or videos distribution is allowed.

• joshisanonymousjoshisanonymous Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Honestly, y'all are beyond ridiculous. Complaining that there's concept art is a newsletter about developing a game. How do you think this works? Do you think the first month of development involves concept art and then they fire the art team after that?

You can literally play every weekend and the game has been growing in leaps. The giant races already grow; their reference to Fir Bogs was just that that particular giant race hasn't been made playable yet. If you're not happy with screenshots of the Verdant Forest, you can literally just visit the Twitch channel and watch Mark run around in it during a weekend test (which happens literally every weekend) where you'll see him come across other testers running around in it.

None of this is hidden from you, but you'd all rather just hop in threads here to quickly accuse Mark Jacobs of using CU as a scam to collect babies to make hamburgers out of or some other evil scheme without having the foggiest idea of what is actually going on with the game's development.

There seems to be this group of people who exist for the sole purpose of buying into MMO betas just so they can see that the game's not finish and then smear it all over the internet.
    IselinSlapshot1188SovrathKyleranUngoodGdemami

www.joshmcneill.com

• joshisanonymousjoshisanonymous Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I like this screenshot (yet I don't know why the plant actually got the healthbar): 

Docks and surrounding areas are looking good imo

That's the healthbar for the player, not for the plant, naturally.

www.joshmcneill.com

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Honestly, y'all are beyond ridiculous. Complaining that there's concept art is a newsletter about developing a game. How do you think this works? Do you think the first month of development involves concept art and then they fire the art team after that?

You can literally play every weekend and the game has been growing in leaps. The giant races already grow; their reference to Fir Bogs was just that that particular giant race hasn't been made playable yet. If you're not happy with screenshots of the Verdant Forest, you can literally just visit the Twitch channel and watch Mark run around in it during a weekend test (which happens literally every weekend) where you'll see him come across other testers running around in it.

None of this is hidden from you, but you'd all rather just hop in threads here to quickly accuse Mark Jacobs of using CU as a scam to collect babies to make hamburgers out of or some other evil scheme without having the foggiest idea of what is actually going on with the game's development.

There seems to be this group of people who exist for the sole purpose of buying into MMO betas just so they can see that the game's not finish and then smear it all over the internet.
    Around here there's a generic burn-out about crowdfunded MMOs in general influenced by prominent disasters such as Shroud of the Avatar, The Repopulation, Chronicles of Elyria and others.

It's to the point now where scams are assumed unless there's concrete, definitive proof otherwise.

I personally think that CU gets lumped in with the bad apples too much over here despite its many missteps, but then that might just be me clinging to hope that a game I really, really want to play gets released in my lifetime... and as 71 yr old, the possibility of death before CU becomes more real every day :)
    [Deleted User]francis_baudSovrathKyleran[Deleted User]TacticalZombehGdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited March 2021
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:

he has to be in the office to use the sole computer that has access to the refund information, 
    That's not how computers or financial systems work. Try again.
    If I understood correctly in the office there's an overly GDPR-compliant computer that is not connected to internet that stocks all the information about the backers and their transactions, so he goes to the office to use this computer to refund the backers.

Now could he bring this computer home? I don't know.
    Post edited by francis_baud on