Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation Shows Off Alpha Gameplay in Latest Dev Stream | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageAshes of Creation Shows Off Alpha Gameplay in Latest Dev Stream | MMORPG.com

In the latest Developer Stream, Ashes of Creation's Steven Sharif shows off the progress Intrepid Studios has made.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LrdEtriusLrdEtrius Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Pretty much the same stuff they showed last time... at least now you don't do a flip every time you cast a fireball, that's a plus.

It still looks very generic and nothing really stands out compared to what we already have in the market.
    Haki88LucixAlomarSplooshii
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Graphics look good, but they still have too many effects as far as I'm concerned. But the terrain etc seems top notch.
    etlar[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077
    I absolutely love the teleport animation.
    IselinGroqstrong
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Now this is what a crowdfunded MMO's Alpha should look like. I get the impression that they are actually building an MMO instead of just talking the talk like so many others do.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Now this is what a crowdfunded MMO's Alpha should look like. I get the impression that they are actually building an MMO instead of just talking the talk like so many others do.
    All depends on what is legit and what is staged.  I really like the environment.  Of course it’s 4K and I’ll never see that but it’s still cool.

I always take the cautious approach until I can see it without the blinders on.  Always remember this was Also supposedly how a Crowdfunded game looked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-4PLbj_60I

[Deleted User][Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Iselin said:
    All depends on what is legit and what is staged.  I really like the environment.  Of course it’s 4K and I’ll never see that but it’s still cool.

I always take the cautious approach until I can see it without the blinders on.  Always remember this was Also supposedly how a Crowdfunded game looked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-4PLbj_60I

Well as someone who has never given them any money and have no intention of doing so until it's released (or maybe a month before) I'm just an impartial observer watching from the sidelines.

I'm seeing good quality graphics and animation and progress. This just seems to be coming along and improving at a steady pace that seems reasonably speedy. I can't say that for any of the others, most of which started long before Ashes did.

Crowfall may be the first to the finish line but I don't really like their art style and I'm still very skeptical about its unique game play loop.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

Well as someone who has never given them any money and have no intention of doing so until it's released (or maybe a month before) I'm just an impartial observer watching from the sidelines.

I'm seeing good quality graphics and animation and progress. This just seems to be coming along and improving at a steady pace that seems reasonably speedy. I can't say that for any of the others, most of which started long before Ashes did.

Crowfall may be the first to the finish line but I don't really like their art style and I'm still very skeptical about its unique game play loop.
    I agree with most of that.  Just saying that we have all seen progress videos from Crowdfunded games that looked like great progress was being made... until we found out that it really wasn’t.  I believe their NDA drops at some point this year.  That will likely be a good point to judge.  If the complaints are around “bugs” that would be great news because that’s what Alpha/Beta is for.   If the complaints are around core systems or that much of the game is non-existent then that will be a red flashing light.

Right now I only know that their environments look amazing.

Necroma

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

I agree with most of that.  Just saying that we have all seen progress videos from Crowdfunded games that looked like great progress was being made... until we found out that it really wasn’t.  I believe their NDA drops at some point this year.  That will likely be a good point to judge.  If the complaints are around “bugs” that would be great news because that’s what Alpha/Beta is for.   If the complaints are around core systems or that much of the game is non-existent then that will be a red flashing light.

Right now I only know that their environments look amazing.

Oh I get that it's common to play fast and loose with controlled streams and the NDA drop will tell the tale.

When I say progress I'm looking at small details and comparing it to what was shown last year and the year before. I see a run of the mill but functional UI with a minimap on the upper right that shows some original work (no borders, showing the players cone of view, etc.) and players attire looks unique (remember that ubiquitous female mage from their first few videos? She's nowhere to be seen now.)

A couple of years a go what was shown was indistinguishable from store-bought assets and what I'm seeing now - all of it - seems hand-crafted. The whole looks a lot more like a functional game being actively worked on than the cherry picked videos they used to show.

I'm as cynical about these crowdfunded MMOs as anyone else but what I'm seeing from this studio looks more legit to me than is normal in the MMO "donation" world.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'm gonna wait until they cross the 'finish-line' (which is honestly on the beginning tbh when it comes to a mmo). Keep in mind that Pantheon was throwing out a lot of world interactable content for years, now its kind of stagnant or at least silent on progress, so nothing is 'done' until the general public is in there.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Not seeing anything unique,instead i see boring same old.

Strategy ..where?Ok he mentions the crabs have some def buff,yeah so what of it,i didn't see any combat change because of it.
    I saw a light glooming after a kill,is that more of that nonsense ,loot lights..grrrr.QUIT putting fake shit in these games,there is no such thing as lights coming off loot.

A generated world with a few tents..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The creatures and ai looks bland.
    I didn't see any player jump on a rock to attack,so i assume TOO EASY,no fear factor,is it even possible.
    Boring static npc's with no voice overs..zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah this is simply not good enough,not even close.

I'll lay it on the line straight up,i need terraforming,good quality AI,realistic npc's not just static quest givers.I need building and realistic interaction with the world and the npc's.I need biomes,you know weather/climate that matters as well an eco system,you know lions attacking badgers or something similar.

I didn't see any realism in the water either like fish you can actually catch/kill.

To me this looks like maybe the end of year 1 of development give or take depending if the engine was designed in house or not.
    KyleranHaki88gastovski1

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    edited February 2021
    I had this on my short list of MMOs to play (very tiny if you don't include VR) and now I'm not very interested. The combat is so standard action limited hotbar. Graphic look solid though and I'm still interested in the concept, though I can see it falling apart in so many ways.

Oh well, another one to cross off.
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    They are making process. Animations are better but still need a lot of work.

World looks great. Most the content and stuff is not in game yet.

As for combat it was always stated as a action/hybrid system. It will not be BDO/B&S Style. And honestly that is a good thing in my opinion. BUt with that said the combat system is being revamped, what you seen is not the finished product. SO at this point we can judge the progress, which if released now would be horribly bad, but we cannot judge the final product.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    Is this game more of a PvP game now than a PvE game?

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Tokken said:
    Always has been.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]IselinAlomar

edited February 2021
    Rhoklaw said:
    Tokken said:
    Always has been.
    It was never a PvP focused game and simply because it's plain stupid to even try to be a murder hobo. You can't loot your victim and you run the risk of getting your own gear looted instead. If anything, it's a PvE game with PvP in it and good luck PvPing outside of detailed PvP mechanics, such as caravans, GvG and sieges.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure plenty of idiot trolls will still go that route, but with zero incentive for killing random players with an increased chance of losing your own gear, it's just not going to pan out like every other retarded open world FFA PvP game we've played.
    Ummm...  your saying it can’t be a PvP focused game because you (theoretically) can’t be a murder hobo?

Like that’s some criteria?

Whether you have murder hobo, FFA, PvPers or not does not change the fact that it’s built around PvP.

Right from the AoC wiki:
    PVP is an acronym for 'player versus player'. Ashes of Creation is a PVP dominated game. There will be both static and open areas dedicated to PVP. Battlegrounds, open world guild wars, caravan looting and city sieges are just a few ways players can involve themselves in PVP.

Do you understand what PvP dominated means? Stop trying to push your false narrative. Be honest about the game, or at least what the game is planning to be.     It's when people create these impossible expectations for a game that they ultimately get disappointed. Some of that is usually set by the companies that oversell and under-deliver, but a large part is exactly like your response, where you try to convince somebody that a game is something it is not.  All that is going to do is ultimately lead to frustration when he/she finds out that its a "PvP dominated game" 

[Deleted User][Deleted User]IsilithTehrothAlomarTacticalZombeh

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Game is PvP Centric, it just highly discourages ganking and pointless pking. There are PvE specific things, but the world is open pvp so you cannot get away from it.

Kill a player outside a sanctioned pvp event the penalties are extremly high, up to the point of being able to drop equiped gear and having stat dampening to weaken your character while corrupted. (aka you become a walking loot pinata that someone weaker then you can easily kill)

Still the option to do it but the risk have to be worth the rewards as you could end up losing weeks/months of work by getting killed while corrupted and dropping that legendary weapon you have equipped.

Still need more detail on corruption though. Hopefully once corrupted the equiped gear becomes unable to be removed until you cleanse the corruption so ppl cannot cheese the mechanic by equiping vendor tier crap once they kill someone.
    [Deleted User]Alomar