Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Latest Valheim Patch Makes Bosses More Difficult, Fixes World Destroyer Bug | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    "Darkfall Online was famous for videos of hundreds of afk players all macro skilling inside keeps running into walls to level up sprinting or what have you."

Alot of these players probably came from games like UO where they used the same practices many years before......No matter what games do the players will find ways around it....Whether it is cheating, macroing, aimbots, whatever.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited February 2021
    remsleep said:

remsleep said:

Here's a video that shows the basic idea.

Bah, I hate videos like this. I wish that people would stop trying to find ways to level skills outside of just generally using them. It breaks the game that was intended. Developers these days have to spend more time on fixing loopholes in things than actually just making the game good. Escape from Tarkov is in the same boat. It's a disgrace seeing people just doing the same stuff over and over until they have an advantage.

But game has commands where you can just enable cheat mode and input whatever skill level you want.

If this wasn't intended - why give players the cheat commands?

The developers literally require you to, as in you MUST do this...  type in  IMACHEATER in order to access it.  

Cheat: To violate rules in order to gain advantage from a situation;
    Cheater: A person who acts dishonestly in order to gain an advantage.

So at least they force you to acknowledge what you are doing...

As for leveling up on rocks...   The game is in early access.   It's also a game where you host your own server.  So my supposition is as follows:

1. Just like the IMACHEATER... since your exploiting is only affecting you and this is not an MMORPG, they do not care if you cheat your way around.

2. It's a 5 man team.  Maybe they had more important things to do (like making an actual fun game) than focus on trying to remove every exploit in a non-mmo where the only person you are cheating... is yourself.  

3.  Maybe they get around to changing it at some point.  I suppose if they do then you will come back on here and profusely apologize to everyone right?

My gut says it's #1 and #2 and they honestly do not give a fuck if people CHEAT themselves out of a great gaming experience.

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    etlar[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

remsleep said:

Bah, I hate videos like this. I wish that people would stop trying to find ways to level skills outside of just generally using them. It breaks the game that was intended. Developers these days have to spend more time on fixing loopholes in things than actually just making the game good. Escape from Tarkov is in the same boat. It's a disgrace seeing people just doing the same stuff over and over until they have an advantage.
    OK, intent aside, I and others play these games first and foremost for their "progression," meaning we find our "fun" in completing game content as quickly and efficiently as the rules allow.

I do prefer to level skills organically through game play, and I try to avoid reading about ways to improve my character in other ways, but once I learn there is an easier or better way to progress I feel compelled to take advantage of it as long as it is permitted in game or at least not at mentioned as being an exploit by the developers.

FO76 has a couple of glitches which enable players to progress more quickly which the devs are well aware of but not only never fix but also don't publically call them exploits.

People (including me) often take advantage of such to progress faster, build cooler camps or just skip tedious content to get the rewards.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Kyleran said:

remsleep said:

OK, intent aside, I and others play these games first and foremost for their "progression," meaning we find our "fun" in completing game content as quickly and efficiently as the rules allow.

I do prefer to level skills organically through game play, and I try to avoid reading about ways to improve my character in other ways, but once I learn there is an easier or better way to progress I feel compelled to take advantage of it as long as it is permitted in game or at least not at mentioned as being an exploit by the developers.

FO76 has a couple of glitches which enable players to progress more quickly which the devs are well aware of but not only never fix but also don't publically call them exploits.

People (including me) often take advantage of such to progress faster, build cooler camps or just skip tedious content to get the rewards.

Valheim is not an MMO.   I have zero issues with someone using an exploit on their server.  Whatever floats their boat.   I have an issue with a video-voyeur who doesn't play the game but just watches videos of people exploiting and then tries to explain how "easy" the game is.
    etlarkitarad[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited February 2021
    remsleep said:
    Torval said:
    remsleep said:

remsleep said:

templarga said:

It appeared to me that when you are hunting deer, wind direction matters too. Did I imagine that? Seems like if you are upwind from deer and it can smell you, more likely it is to be alert and run... I thought I picked up on this and planned to test it when I have time to play again (damn you work) but was curious if anyone else had seen it.

If you sneak - the wind doesn't matter - you can come on them and just backstab.

False

That is a pretty bad video and I'm not sure what you're actually trying to prove, again. If you played the game you would understand why drawing a conclusion like that from a single encounter is just bad advice, much like the person who thinks leveling skills AFK is going to make them somehow more successful. It's the context you're missing.

I am trying to prove that "deer wind scent" is 100% negated with sneak (especially after you level it up a bit)

What context am I missing in this very specific case of  - where sneak clearly 100% negates any "wind scent" for deer?

Are you saying this video is somehow not true?

I am specifically talking about deer here and not any other mobs.

is this the most effective way to hunt deer - hell no - bow + stealth is the way to go for that, but that's not what was asked - it was pointed out that you cannot sneak up on deer and backstab them - also about "wind scent" - which my entire point was - that yes you can sneak up and backstab deer and that sneak will negative "wind scent" mechanic when it comes to deer.

Also "leveling skills afk" will make anyone more successful - because if you hit 100 skill in for example bows - you are going to a be a hell of a lot more effective than someone who has 40 skill in bow.

Again - how is max skill not better? are you saying skill levels are bugged and skill level 1 is the same as 100 and there's no benefit to leveling up skills? 

because - that's just not true - so leveling up skills AFK or not - does help and it does make a difference

Leveling up skills will make you more successful - because you will be more effective in combat.

Of course you still have to know how to fight well enough for skills to matter - but it's unquestionable that higher skill will make you stronger in combat.

And dont forget that every time you die you lose 1 and a half skill levels, til the no skill drain kicks in after dying too much.

I soloed the elder and bonemass twice with skill levels 20 and under with good food and potions. 

I never once used cheats to level my skills in the game.

So yes higher skills are better but not necessary. 

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited February 2021
    remsleep said:

templarga said:

templarga said:

It appeared to me that when you are hunting deer, wind direction matters too. Did I imagine that? Seems like if you are upwind from deer and it can smell you, more likely it is to be alert and run... I thought I picked up on this and planned to test it when I have time to play again (damn you work) but was curious if anyone else had seen it.

That was my understanding as well.   Took us a long time to figure out how to effectively hunt deer :)

Yeah agreed. They drive me nuts. Normally I charge them hope I kill them before they run because I stink at archery and stealth but its fun to try!

Shooting bows is pretty wonky. You really have to learn how to account for the arrow arc. It's funky for sure.

Skill in bows, bow quality and type, and arrows - all matter

To level up bow skill - build your house around a rock - that way you can regen stamina like crazy and just plink arrows at a rock inside your house - obviously make 100s of wooden arrows and you will skill up bows super fast.

Drauger bow fully upgraded has a much flatter arc too.

The starter wood bow is crap. Don't judge bows by those.
    lol that guy doesn't even know all the tricks, you dont need to put campfire on core wood unless you like the look. You leave a floor panel out, make sure ground is level with rest of floor, drop campfire then place floor panel under it.

Plus that seems like a pretty boring way to level compared to actually going out and playing the game and lvling, esp when you dont need high level skills to beat the bosses, just good food/gear/potions.
  • reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441
    I thought bonemass was already too difficult in comparison to the other bosses. I hope they balanced that and didn't just make all the other bosses more difficult. Considering that some people play as duo, this change, hopefully, didn't make the bosses impossible for two people games. We've only got two bosses down so far (my buddy and I), and we are not a in a hurry to beat the game, while it is in Early access. We take it easy and only started making our way towards the Bonemass boss, who appears to be very far away to the west from us. So it will take us probably exploration and crossing of 4-5 islands of the size our first island was.
    [Deleted User]