Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Latest Valheim Patch Makes Bosses More Difficult, Fixes World Destroyer Bug | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageLatest Valheim Patch Makes Bosses More Difficult, Fixes World Destroyer Bug | MMORPG.com

The newest patch from Valheim developers Iron Gate Studio makes bosses more difficult in addition to squashing that World Destroyer bug.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2021
    I only want to comment on the Boss update.
    Since i saw a very shallow UI to begin with,i have a very good feeling this "tweak" will be something SIMPLE,like faster regen or faster attack.
    Boss fights should be somewhat strategic and not just a number crunching ordeal.The problem is that since msot all combat takes place on flat ground there is little room for any strategy.Then the same issue exists,if strategy is incorporated players will make bosses somewhat easy so it is a fine line to tote.

I am on the side of the fence that as long as there is strategy i am ok if the end result is easy.

So i will use this game and Atlas in comparisons.Bonemass for example was ridiculously easy,i saw players use no strategy but to simply whcka mole then run heal then rinse repeat with occassional arrow shot.

Atlas on the other hand has extremely difficult bosses that can literally one shot you,can't get anymore difficult than that.It goes beyond that because the Bosses and even the elite mobs will search for pathing to get to you even if up on a ridge.Some such as the dragon type will blow breath damage at you so again you need to deploy cunning.

Basic point is that Valheim bosses can be easily engaged and run from.However since there is literally no strategy i would say the players NEED to be able to run,i mean what other choice do they have?

So yet another point,the game combat structure needs a lot more depth than is presently there ,this is why i suggest a SIMPLE will be done.So an example would be say a rock formation where a player could run through to get away or to go up top to fight.The AI in Valheim is also ridiculous simple,as soon as creatures spawn they are on auto target aggro from pretty far away.
    DeathtognomesAsheram[Deleted User]TacticalZombehbobbymcswanson

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DeathtognomesDeathtognomes Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Wouldnt put too much effort in this game as addicting as survival games are as this is still very early access. the Learn by doing is annoying, there are exploits to it and building with better materials is gated by the bosses killed, 5 in all. Some features make it fun but there are plenty of annoyances too.
  • DeathtognomesDeathtognomes Member UncommonPosts: 155
    edited February 2021

Wizardry said:
    The AI in Valheim is also ridiculous simple,as soon as creatures spawn they are on auto target aggro from pretty far away.

not only that the spawn rate is ridiculously fast.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Yeah.. people complaining about the AI simply haven't gotten far enough into the game. Even the easiest AI mobs do actually dodge based on where your crosshair is placed. It's not that they're hard to outsmart, but it's better than what most people say. Also this is one of the most polished Early Access games to ever hit the market. There's a reason it's sold over 4 million copies.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]URMAKERAsheramAlomarTacticalZombeh
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    templarga said:
    It appeared to me that when you are hunting deer, wind direction matters too. Did I imagine that? Seems like if you are upwind from deer and it can smell you, more likely it is to be alert and run... I thought I picked up on this and planned to test it when I have time to play again (damn you work) but was curious if anyone else had seen it.
    That was my understanding as well.   Took us a long time to figure out how to effectively hunt deer :)
    Asheram[Deleted User]TacticalZombehKyleranTokken

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited February 2021

Stizzled said:

Wizardry said:

Since i saw a very shallow UI to begin with,i have a very good feeling this "tweak" will be something SIMPLE,like faster regen or faster attack.

Boss fights should be somewhat strategic and not just a number crunching ordeal.The problem is that since msot all combat takes place on flat ground there is little room for any strategy.Then the same issue exists,if strategy is incorporated players will make bosses somewhat easy so it is a fine line to tote.

I am on the side of the fence that as long as there is strategy i am ok if the end result is easy.

So i will use this game and Atlas in comparisons.Bonemass for example was ridiculously easy,i saw players use no strategy but to simply whcka mole then run heal then rinse repeat with occassional arrow shot.

Atlas on the other hand has extremely difficult bosses that can literally one shot you,can't get anymore difficult than that.It goes beyond that because the Bosses and even the elite mobs will search for pathing to get to you even if up on a ridge.Some such as the dragon type will blow breath damage at you so again you need to deploy cunning.

Basic point is that Valheim bosses can be easily engaged and run from.However since there is literally no strategy i would say the players NEED to be able to run,i mean what other choice do they have?

So yet another point,the game combat structure needs a lot more depth than is presently there ,this is why i suggest a SIMPLE will be done.So an example would be say a rock formation where a player could run through to get away or to go up top to fight.The AI in Valheim is also ridiculous simple,as soon as creatures spawn they are on auto target aggro from pretty far away.

Atlas shares AI with Ark, which doesn't have any better AI than Valheim. Most of the bosses and many of the mobs in Valheim can one shot you. Actually play it, you'll find out.

Did Atlas ever turn into what its trailer promised?

How does one even try to compare Valheim in its 1st month of EA to Atlas which is still trash 21/2 years after first releasing to EA and is still in EA? 

Unless one also is comparing both games first month in EA to each other there is no comparison.

Couldn't even log into Atlas consistantly for the first week or 2 when it released, mobs like crocodiles floating 3 feet above water etc etc etc.

None of the mobs in Atlas fought each other, you would have lions and crocs and other things that should be tearing each other up ganging you.

Valheim mobs fight each other consistantly, I remember sneaking past a fuling village in beta wondering if I can get by it without aggroing the village when 3 loxes ran in and started attacking the village, they killed all the fulings and 1 lox survived and I had fat loot stacks to take back to my forward base. Good times ;)
    [Deleted User]GroqstrongTacticalZombehKyleran
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

templarga said:

templarga said:

It appeared to me that when you are hunting deer, wind direction matters too. Did I imagine that? Seems like if you are upwind from deer and it can smell you, more likely it is to be alert and run... I thought I picked up on this and planned to test it when I have time to play again (damn you work) but was curious if anyone else had seen it.

That was my understanding as well.   Took us a long time to figure out how to effectively hunt deer :)

Yeah agreed. They drive me nuts. Normally I charge them hope I kill them before they run because I stink at archery and stealth but its fun to try!

Shooting bows is pretty wonky. You really have to learn how to account for the arrow arc. It's funky for sure.
    Kyleran

Joined - July 2004

templarga said:

templarga said:

templarga said:

Yeah agreed. They drive me nuts. Normally I charge them hope I kill them before they run because I stink at archery and stealth but its fun to try!

Shooting bows is pretty wonky. You really have to learn how to account for the arrow arc. It's funky for sure.

Especially the initial ones you get. They drop off quickly and I am pretty sure I would miss mot buildings at this point. :) Does make me feel good thought when I actually hit something I am aiming at!
    Yeah, and they run all erratically once they spot you too, and will run into water and swim out to deeper water which then is a waste of an arrow to shoot them as you wont be able to get the materials you shot them for.
    I liked Atlas.  Private server though.  Had fun... got bored.   I just like Valheim more than I ever liked Atlas.

[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• G3NexisG3Nexis Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited February 2021

Wizardry said:

You saw players do this... you saw players do that... Have you actually played the game? Every critique of the game you make seems based on other peoples experience which you merely witnessed from a video or stream.

You are also comparing a game that has been in early access for like 3 weeks to Atlas which was built off Ark which has been around for like 6 years now? I have put many hours in Rust, Ark, Atlas, and many others and judging the game based on where it currently is based on release times, Valheim is far surpased anything Ark or Atlas did in the same time frame.

You also talk about strategy, then say Valheim does not have any strategy involved in beating bosses while the explaining one strategy people use to defeat the boss? Do you even read the garbage you type? A game with no strategy involved to defeat things would mean you stand there and auto attack the mob until it is dead. Explaining the people kite the mob to kill it while needing to hide to heal... that is literally a STRATEGY... you also have to balance around you stamina pool which depending on your environment, if its raining, what food you ate, etc will be terrible to manage at times.

I am all for people having opinions of their own negative or positive but every time you express your opinion, it is evident you have not actually played the game for your self. Go play the game beat all the content then come back with your nonsensical rambling.

Oh ALSO in order to actually play Atlas with just my friends and have all grids unlocked... I would need to rent like 80 Servers to unlock all the grids or rent like 4 servers and constantly move them around on the grid just to sail anywhere. literally everytime your atlas boner comes out, everything that comes after that is pretty much irrelevant.
    kitaradTacticalZombehWalkinGlenn
    edited February 2021
    I liked Atlas.  Private server though.  Had fun... got bored.   I just like Valheim more than I ever liked Atlas.

I didn"t dislike it, would probably have liked it more had it released single player from the start rather than a year later.
    Only brought it up because a certain poster keeps trying to draw unfair comparisons between it in its current state 2 1/2 years after its EA release with Valheim not even out for a month on EA.
    Atlas's first month in EA release was horrble, a million times worse than Valheims first month.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    remsleep said:

templarga said:

If you sneak - the wind doesn't matter - you can come on them and just backstab.
    False
    [Deleted User]
    remsleep said:

templarga said:

If you sneak - the wind doesn't matter - you can come on them and just backstab.
    False
    Well kind of true if wearing the troll armor set as wearing all 4 pieces give a sneaking buff which reduce detection by 25%. Was even easier before they nerfed the set but can still do it.
    Kyleran
    edited February 2021
    Asheram said:
    remsleep said:

templarga said:

False
    Well kind of true if wearing the troll armor set as wearing all 4 pieces give a sneaking buff which reduce detection by 25%. Was even easier before they nerfed the set but can still do it.
    You can get close but not enough to backstab they will still detect you.  You might be right but i never could get close enough.  I can do it now, because my sneak level is high enough.  However hunting deer at my lvl now is irrelevant.
    remsleep said:

remsleep said:

templarga said:

False

I stand corrected.
    [Deleted User]
    Before they nerfed troll set you could practically walk up to enemies, esp from side or rear and touch them before they ran off without using the sneaking crouch skill. Now I am pretty sure you still have to crouch sneak even with troll armor.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    LMFAo all this discussion of deer that are literally so fucking stupid that even after you miss they just run in random direction and always  directly at you at some point .. .. no need for any strat or tactic or concern for wind or scent .. at all .. No worries dumb deer run into arrow ..

Lol like shooting fish in a barrel as they say
  • ThalantyrDSLThalantyrDSL Member UncommonPosts: 35

remsleep said:

Here's a video that shows the basic idea.

Bah, I hate videos like this. I wish that people would stop trying to find ways to level skills outside of just generally using them. It breaks the game that was intended. Developers these days have to spend more time on fixing loopholes in things than actually just making the game good. Escape from Tarkov is in the same boat. It's a disgrace seeing people just doing the same stuff over and over until they have an advantage.
  • ThalantyrDSLThalantyrDSL Member UncommonPosts: 35
    remsleep said:

But game has commands where you can just enable cheat mode and input whatever skill level you want.

If this wasn't intended - why give players the cheat commands?

If leveling up skills on rocks etc... why is it in game?

I think that many players dislike that it's there - but the argument that "it's not intended" does not hold water - it clearly is intended for those who want to do it this way, because it's in the game.

If devs come out and say "this is not intended" - then we can talk - they've never said this yet.

So play however suits - if you only want to level up skills by actually using them - do it.
    If you want to afk train - do it.
    If you just want to not bother and set skills by commands - do it.

Play the game as you wish - but to say "not intended" well let devs tell us this first.

The cheat mode is only relevant in single player / local servers from my understanding? That doesn't affect PvP servers, though not a true PvP game anyway.

Just because you can level up on a rock it doesn't mean it was intended. I'd be leaning 99% towards unintentionally overlooked and something that should be patched.

I'll always play the game the way it should be played and I understand others will play the way they think is fair as well, but throwing people on to the same server with those views make for a poor situation. I'm happy to deal with time investment skill advancement but not using the lack of polish to achieve those goals.

remsleep said:

Here's a video that shows the basic idea.

Bah, I hate videos like this. I wish that people would stop trying to find ways to level skills outside of just generally using them. It breaks the game that was intended. Developers these days have to spend more time on fixing loopholes in things than actually just making the game good. Escape from Tarkov is in the same boat. It's a disgrace seeing people just doing the same stuff over and over until they have an advantage.
    But then what would 3rd hand experts have to do?  Since they don’t play the game they have nothing to do but watch videos of people playing it.  And since we all know that deep down they made a mistake by picking this game to be their Moby Dick, they focus on exploit videos so that they can make meaningless posts about how easy the game is.   

I’ve come to decide that all these posts are not meant to convince us of ANYTHING.  Obviously, you cannot convince people physically playing the game of something based off your video watching prowess.  No... I’m sure that these inane posts are just to convince him/herself that he/she didn’t totally miss the boat. Oh well.  They did.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    remsleep said:

But game has commands where you can just enable cheat mode and input whatever skill level you want.

I think that many players dislike that it's there - but the argument that "it's not intended" does not hold water - it clearly is intended for those who want to do it this way, because it's in the game.

If devs come out and say "this is not intended" - then we can talk - they've never said this yet.

So play however suits - if you only want to level up skills by actually using them - do it.

Play the game as you wish - but to say "not intended" well let devs tell us this first.

The cheat mode is only relevant in single player / local servers from my understanding? That doesn't affect PvP servers, though not a true PvP game anyway.

Just because you can level up on a rock it doesn't mean it was intended. I'd be leaning 99% towards unintentionally overlooked and something that should be patched.

I'll always play the game the way it should be played and I understand others will play the way they think is fair as well, but throwing people on to the same server with those views make for a poor situation. I'm happy to deal with time investment skill advancement but not using the lack of polish to achieve those goals.
    Isn't it true many games which have skill based progression, especially in the survival genre permit players to level them in ways other than "as intended?"

The big meme for survival games about punching bushes pretty much sums it up, at least from my observation.

Darkfall Online was famous for videos of hundreds of afk players all macro skilling inside keeps running into walls to level up sprinting or what have you.

I think even older titles like Asherons calls had a plethora of macro skill leveling built into them, just seems to be the nature of these things in some games.

I agree with Rem, if devs allow skills to be leveled in this manner, than it's intentional, there's no way they just so happened to overlook the mechanic especially if it works this way across multiple skills.

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    remsleep said:

Isn't it true many games which have skill based progression, especially in the survival genre permit players to level them in ways other than "as intended?"

The big meme for survival games about punching bushes pretty much sums it up, at least from my observation.

Darkfall Online was famous for videos of hundreds of afk players all macro skilling inside keeps running into walls to level up sprinting or what have you.

My gameplay was centered around finding people who were AFK macroing and killing them.   Usually they did this by exploiting into terrain or buildings so it took awhile to figure out where they were... but so worth it.
    [Deleted User]