Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamigo Is Cleaning House, Sunsetting Twin Saga, Defiance And Defiance 2050 | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageGamigo Is Cleaning House, Sunsetting Twin Saga, Defiance And Defiance 2050 | MMORPG.com

Gamigo is clearly cleaning house as it was announced yesterday that not one, but three of their titles would be shutting down: Twin Saga, Defiance and Defiance 2050.

Read the full story here

Buschkatze

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Alt headline...

Garbage game studio gets rid of the most garbage of it's games due to them being the worst of it's garbage.

I'm kidding, but maybe I'm not. I just know when I played Defiance, it wasn't that good (for me) The other game, idk what the hell that is.
    FrodoFraginsScotBuschkatze
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    They are also closing Eden Eternal. Part of me wants to get upset with them even though I do not even play these games, part of me wants to thank them hosting games that may be less popular for those that play it.
    itchmonAlbatroesUngood

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Defiance and Defiance 2050 just didn't deliver.  Continual technical problems that never got better.   I kinda enjoyed them, but just too many issues with the game, and too little hope of them being fixed.   
    BLNX

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Wow, I'm more surprised they didn't add Rift to the list with how that game's population has been since it was being ran by Trion.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited February 2021
    Such a weird business strategy, buying games only to run them into the ground and then shut them down.

Someone needed a tax write-off?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670

Kyleran said:

Such a weird business strategy, buying games only to run them into the ground and then shut them down.

They pay so little for those rights/property that a little price gouging of the consumers and they make a pretty penny. Just look at what they've done to Unchained since day one launch. Or how Khrolan disappeared into the night never to be seen again after launch.

They are basically bottom feeders of the business world and once they bleed a product dry, they simply throw it away and move on to the next.
    Haki88KyleranTheocritus
  • Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Korona tax+preparing for archeage 2, maybe 2022? God help ppl who buy that game!
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2021

numatic said:

Kyleran said:

They pay so little for those rights/property that a little price gouging of the consumers and they make a pretty penny. Just look at what they've done to Unchained since day one launch. Or how Khrolan disappeared into the night never to be seen again after launch.

They are basically bottom feeders of the business world and once they bleed a product dry, they simply throw it away and move on to the next.

Not to mention Trove and Archeage were probably pulling in enough to cover what they cost for everything. Pretty much the shutdown of these is probably to counter when Gamigo loses their publishing rights to Archeage presumeably soon or whenever AA2 is about to come out since Kakao bought out XLGames. There is a chance they'll probably sell the games to Snail or something, which is another similar company that likes to purchase and keep open dead mmorpgs.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Never played TS, and only a short time EE, feel sorry for their players nevertheless, losing your game is tough.

However, really like Defiance, and it's a real shame they pull the plug. Sure, the most of the mismanagements was done by Trion, but it was still a fairly active and good game.

Ambitious project with the show, probably one of a kind (doubt this current industry will ever pull a similar cooperation) and it worked at launch well enough - unfortunately Trion couldn't keep up at the mid-season...
    The split of the playerbase (2050) was also a really dumb idea, but the game survived that too, at least until now. Probably if the players were all in one place still, Defiance could chug along with some profit... guess we'll never know.

Extra credit for the slap in the face with
    "Gamigo is encouraging players  to move onto its other titles, such as Archeage and Trove. "
    (and I don't mean Trove, that's a fun little game. Suggesting Archeage to anyone is the real insult here)
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Twin Saga, an MMO first made by Aeria Games before it merged with Gamigo

I mean, Aeria Games have done lots of things I assume, but not games, especially not MMO's. They were publishers.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Defiance and Defiance 2050 just didn't deliver.  Continual technical problems that never got better.   I kinda enjoyed them, but just too many issues with the game, and too little hope of them being fixed.   

plus, they kinda completely failed on their main USP, the crossover with the TV show

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• OmegaXtcOmegaXtc Member UncommonPosts: 36
    So is the eventual end to all effort made by players of this genre. Long gone are the days of DRM Free saved games surviving generations.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Defiance was actually a lot of fun, played it with the kids, we watched the show got the codes, then played the game, and used codes from the show for treats. Was a fun run and gun.
    Po_ggFrodoFragins
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    I would like to see daybreak buy rift. Yes I know people hate daybreak but you have to admit they do know how to keep games profitable so people who love them games can keep playing
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    With all the heavy hearts, they need to see a cardiologist.
  • foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    Defiance was only cool when the show was running, unsurprising that it lost its appeal when it ended.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Kyleran said:

Is that what they did?

I mean, maybe they just wanted one game and don't need the others (they bought some studios I believe) or they wanted the IP's but not so much the games. OR maybe there is some sort of tax write-off they can do.

And still have the IP's.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    edited February 2022
    Kyleran said:

feels more like money laundering to me lol. Very shady. Hold on...theres someone at the door...
    Post edited by Rungar on
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    gamigo controls the operations (servers) and distribution (sales). The fractured team controls the design. 

Guess well see what happens. 
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • giantessfangiantessfan Member UncommonPosts: 185
    I am honestly curious how they handle Fractured Online. Only because they are not buying a dead game to suck the life out of it but they are publishing and paying for the Deveolpment of one.

Thats new for them as far as I know