Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BlizzConline 2021: World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Classic Developer Interview | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzConline 2021: World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Classic Developer Interview | MMORPG.com

Robin recently sat down with Executive Producer John Hight and Technical Lead Brian Birmingham for World of Warcraft Classic to talk The Burning Crusade during this year's Blizzcon.

Read the full story here

Comments

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Wrath is a no brainer, that's when word of mouth spread so widely that Wrath was many players very first mmorpg and a main reason we always read that wrath was the best from people.

Where we will also read people say BC was the best, same reasons as above, and then ofc ditto for classic.

I already had experienced other mmorpgs and at launch it was fun!!!. It was so easy going it made one feel euphoric like a sugar rush, but not long later i was hungry looking for some substance, so yeah a deep complex world, hell no.

This article clears up my confusion, i heard on a podcast same question, i wasn't alone, but this article clarified, no matter the side you're going, and no matter when you go, it'll always be that launch snap.

I was hoping to just stay in classic and "IF" as in huge if, i ever got a toon to 58 and decided to proceed i could take that 58, however i think my highest is in 40's, so i'd level to 58 then start BC with my old 40's version of my character? ouch!

Even if i pay for the token or whatever to go to BC at a much later date it'd be the 40 version still and not my 58/60 toon.

Nutshell, you go classic that toon is on classic for life, it's never coming out.

Which there is a very high probability i'll do that, i love the classic feel of the game. I've no interest in BC or Wrath and as far as a one time boost to 58, meh, most people whom play BC and onward are already used to it being easier, systems, leveling, i mean it's not the same wow after BC was introduced. Classic is a thing of it's own. Essentially this ain't the hashtag no changes crowd anymore.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    edited February 2021
    The boost is purely Activision monetization and it throws "classic" out the window. If they are willing to offer boosts, shouldn't they also offer fresh servers where everyone has to level and no one gets a boost? Or do those players get nothing? I'll probably play it but not the first week. Boosts are just another BS change to line their pockets and let the lazy skip the process. That's exactly the stuff that killed retail.
    ILLISETRaivyn79
  • missegan24missegan24 Member UncommonPosts: 12

The boost is purely Activision monetization and it throws "classic" out the window. If they are willing to offer boosts, shouldn't they also offer fresh servers where everyone has to level and no one gets a boost? Or do those players get nothing?

I'll probably play it but not the first week. Boosts are just another BS change to line their pockets and let the lazy skip the process. That's exactly the stuff that killed retail.

I disagree. 75% of my buddies HATED classic, but LOVED BC. So now that 75% will be able to play BC with the 25% of us that played Classic. Theyre all confirmed going to buy boost, sub, and play. They said the whole purpose of it was so friends could play together. Will some people buy it just as a free leveld toon? Sure. But I for one and STOKED that theyre letting all my friends catch up without the Classic grind that will prob burn them out.
    Arlee

The boost is purely Activision monetization and it throws "classic" out the window. If they are willing to offer boosts, shouldn't they also offer fresh servers where everyone has to level and no one gets a boost? Or do those players get nothing?

I'll probably play it but not the first week. Boosts are just another BS change to line their pockets and let the lazy skip the process. That's exactly the stuff that killed retail.

I disagree. 75% of my buddies HATED classic, but LOVED BC. So now that 75% will be able to play BC with the 25% of us that played Classic. Theyre all confirmed going to buy boost, sub, and play. They said the whole purpose of it was so friends could play together. Will some people buy it just as a free leveld toon? Sure. But I for one and STOKED that theyre letting all my friends catch up without the Classic grind that will prob burn them out.

As I said, I don't really mind that much if they give those like myself fresh servers where EVERYONE starts from scratch and there are no boosts.

Do you think that is an unfair request?
  • ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

As I said, I don't really mind that much if they give those like myself fresh servers where EVERYONE starts from scratch and there are no boosts.

How does other players being allowed to boost one character on their account adversely affect you in such a way that making segregated servers makes sense? Also, in a way those servers will exist for everyone who chooses to stay in Classic as there will be no option to boost there.
    edited February 2021
    Arlee said:

How does other players being allowed to boost one character on their account adversely affect you in such a way that making segregated servers makes sense? Also, in a way those servers will exist for everyone who chooses to stay in Classic as there will be no option to boost there.
    Why does it matter?  A lot of people want a fresh server with a new economy and people that actually want to level.

I have no interest in playing with boosters for multiple reasons.  First because if they can't handle leveling they probably can't handle many other aspects of TBC.  Second because they just support Activisions greedy ways.  I don't even understand why they charges much on retail for race changes of the same faction.

If they make a fresh TBC server I'm all in.  If not I'll probably pass.
  • tube12200tube12200 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
  • lollerlabanlollerlaban Member UncommonPosts: 16

Considering that there's a multitude of a dead servers, yes.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    Bring it on already. Shadowlands is nothing but a M+ extravaganza this days. No decent story, no content ( beside M+ and Raids ) and weak progression.

Blah!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited February 2021
    As mentioned above the majority of missegan24's friends hate classic and as i mentioned this isn’t the hash tag no changes crowd anymore. Protesting a boost will never gain any traction, these players do not care, heck Blizz will probably have bonus xp weeks and such, this is the "i want it now crowd".

Then depending on how you look at it is what destroyed retail wow, personally I am freaking loving wow 2.0.

I mean moving up you got to get damn f’ing good at your class, it is not just about top dps, it is how you play, know ur class, defensives, the fights, and that was what drove me to play a couple other mmorpg’s to the extreme.

tbh I played all 12 classes to cap just before SL hit and gave each spec a wee test drive, some test drives were just for the sake of setting up the spec then back to leveling with what worked best for fast leveling, all horde.

Rolling up on alliance recently my son suggested fire mage and yeah, I can honestly say I never would have picked it but my gawd fire mage, I am hooked af, and ultimately a mage overall would have never picked to main, due to the face roll stigma mages have so to me sounds boring, i never knew fire was such a deep class, with a plethora of little ways to squeeze out more, I love the spec. LOVE IT!!!

The hashtag no changes crowd will remain in classic where i'll be parking my all my toons as well and not because I'm a hash tag no changes extremist, i like the feel of classic is all. Plus, i'm way too busy in retail getting gud at my spec, raiding, mythic, which i'm enamored, never took wow to this level before, and I love it! or am I addicted? lmao.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429

xpsync said:

As mentioned above the majority of missegan24's friends hate classic and as i mentioned this isn’t the hash tag no changes crowd anymore. Protesting a boost will never gain any traction, these players do not care, heck Blizz will probably have bonus xp weeks and such, this is the "i want it now crowd".

Then depending on how you look at it is what destroyed retail wow, personally I am freaking loving wow 2.0.

I mean moving up you got to get damn f’ing good at your class, it is not just about top dps, it is how you play, know ur class, defensives, the fights, and that was what drove me to play a couple other mmorpg’s to the extreme.

tbh I played all 12 classes to cap just before SL hit and gave each spec a wee test drive, some test drives were just for the sake of setting up the spec then back to leveling with what worked best for fast leveling, all horde.

Rolling up on alliance recently my son suggested fire mage and yeah, I can honestly say I never would have picked it but my gawd fire mage, I am hooked af, and ultimately a mage overall would have never picked to main, due to the face roll stigma mages have so to me sounds boring, i never knew fire was such a deep class, with a plethora of little ways to squeeze out more, I love the spec. LOVE IT!!!

The hashtag no changes crowd will remain in classic where i'll be parking my all my toons as well and not because I'm a hash tag no changes extremist, i like the feel of classic is all. Plus, i'm way too busy in retail getting gud at my spec, raiding, mythic, which i'm enamored, never took wow to this level before, and I love it! or am I addicted? lmao.

Welcome aboard! I was raised in belief there was only one way to go (frost) and fire was just a meme spec only noobs and bad players used.

Now i know better, and wonder why would anyone level up a mage as frost (except if you're into world / low level PvP). :)
    xpsync
    deniter said:

Welcome aboard! I was raised in belief there was only one way to go (frost) and fire was just a meme spec only noobs and bad players used.

Now i know better, and wonder why would anyone level up a mage as frost (except if you're into world / low level PvP). :)
    That's just it you can be a spectacularly bad fire mage as i was for the first week or so while leveling up to 60, i'm like wtf? This spec kinda blows lmao.

Then in a raid stuff started to click in that omg OVERHAUL REQUIRED!!! lol i was using spells that are great for solo, but st damage huge NO.

Started reading and yada yada, omg what a cool f'ing spec!

Considering that there's a multitude of a dead servers, yes.
    That's a problem Blizzard could solve with much needed merges.  Those players chose to go to small servers to avoid queues and everyone knew the pops of all servers would go down, barring xfers.

Next!