Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Acheage and Archeage Unchained server merge.

CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
edited February 2021 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Looks like they are going from 13 servers down to 4, along with a new land rush.  Gotta feel bad for people who keep building up these land empires only to have to start over.  I had an old irl friend who got me into the game and he was in some mega guild the last time there was a merge - so much time and money just *poof*.

Hopefully AA2 won't be so mismanaged...and maybe I'll finally get that check from Publishers Clearing House.

*Edit*  It's called a "Server Evolution" yikes :P
https://www.trionworlds.com/archeage/en/2021/02/17/server-evolutions-are-coming-to-archeage-and-archeage-unchained/

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I don't think we can expect anything from AA2 , other than another trick and trap.
    once you gone bad you will be forever bad.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Funny how a good game can be a mess because of business practices. Its something you cant escape. Its like saying my.com, just makes you wanna look the other way. XLGames is walking that line as well. 
    iixviiiixDibdabs
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    A decent game crushed by idiot cash shop and sheer greed.
  • elgenkabolelgenkabol Member UncommonPosts: 42
    didn't they open new servers last year and charge people to join them LOL.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I'm curious if they made more money by being greedy than they would have without all the crap that ruined the main game. It just sucks because the game is so good minus all the awful cash shop / weird cash grab things. 
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    I'm curious if they made more money by being greedy than they would have without all the crap that ruined the main game. It just sucks because the game is so good minus all the awful cash shop / weird cash grab things. 
    The runaway power levels are pretty bad, too.  Having to go to PvP zones is the worst once gear inflation sets in.  This is how they can resell the 'fresh start' experience every year.  When gear isn't out of control and a handful of people don't own all the land, it really is a fun game. 

I also don't like how they got rid of Obsidian gear.  To me it made more sense to have a crafted set(Ayanad), set you could grind from mobs(Hiram) and a mixture of the two(Obsidian).  This is more of a minor gripe compared to the power gap, though.

Craft system was just so different.  Having a little land and running trade larders was really satisfying to me in a way no other crafting system has equaled.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    What a shame this game has so much in terms of the trading system and manufacturing together with animal husbandry and crop growing that they ruined with greed. Really what they have done to this game that could have been successful is a cautionary tale.

For us players who think about sinking our time and effort in a game and actually imagining that the microtransaction couched in an energy expenditure method is actually mild and manageable, it isn't. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    iixviiiix said:
    I don't think we can expect anything from AA2 , other than another trick and trap.
    people need to remember that Archeage is a Eastern MMO that is ported. Its Developers are eastern MMO developers with Eastern MMO game design philosophy.   

The Western Publishers have little to know control of the development of the game, and most likely cant get changes done to the game as feedback flows in.

Because of this, I suggest avoiding MMOs like this. Me personally, I dont feel comfortable playing a MMO in which I cant give any actual feedback for with the hope of change. The Western playerbase have no say so in the game's development because they not the main audience of the Development team. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The worst thing about these 'server evolutions' is that they just opened server transfers a month ago which they botched and still many people haven't gotten what they paid for. What company doesn't know they are going to do server merges at least 30 days before they happen??? Especially of this scale. Just a damn scam.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    iixviiiix said:
    people need to remember that Archeage is a Eastern MMO that is ported. Its Developers are eastern MMO developers with Eastern MMO game design philosophy.   

The Western Publishers have little to know control of the development of the game, and most likely cant get changes done to the game as feedback flows in.

Because of this, I suggest avoiding MMOs like this. Me personally, I dont feel comfortable playing a MMO in which I cant give any actual feedback for with the hope of change. The Western playerbase have no say so in the game's development because they not the main audience of the Development team. 
    The same can be said about the Final Fantasy franchise since it is eastern too. Don't make these sweeping generalizations please.
    Quizzical

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    The never ending power levels turned me off from this game right away. Limited land also is a no go if you want to do that kind of thing.  You need a ton of space.
    MMOExposed
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The game has never had a decent leader from Trion "look what happened to that studio"and anything out of Korea is just going to be a cash shop mess.I would however state that Trion ruined it from day 1 and i said at that time it was a HUGE mistake XL made in allowing Trion to operate it.

From my side as a gamer it is easy to see what i want but from the business side it is tough to figure how to monetize and profit from your game.We have seen a massive move towards mobile gaming and rehashing old games and cash shops.

We also need to realize that investors are also to blame because they care only about profits and not the games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• elgenkabolelgenkabol Member UncommonPosts: 42
    iixviiiix said:

The only reason they are going to do a AA2 is because a certain publisher invested a very large amount of cash into XLgames to make it so they can publish it. So the publisher not having a say in the game in this case really does not fly. Both the publisher and developer are aware that at least 50% of their revenue came from the was in AA. 

It's blatantly clear what the problem with AA was. Xlgames even admitted this and said they wanted to change core game mechanic's but could not do it without upsetting their current player base.

QUOTE:
    The team tried to make some changes, but were unable to due to the sales/revenue mechanic. Hence, the power gap between existing and new users continued to widen leading to a severe imbalance in player power.

Xlgames can make a dam good sandbox  If they don't let the sales/revenue mechanic's destroy it again.
    Cuddleheart
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    No, I really don't have to feel sorry for them. Once, sure. Twice, maybe. But I'm pretty sure we're beyond that with ArcheAge, are we not.

Isn't it at least fool me thrice by now?
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    iixviiiix said:

The only reason they are going to do a AA2 is because a certain publisher invested a very large amount of cash into XLgames to make it so they can publish it. So the publisher not having a say in the game in this case really does not fly. Both the publisher and developer are aware that at least 50% of their revenue came from the was in AA. 

It's blatantly clear what the problem with AA was. Xlgames even admitted this and said they wanted to change core game mechanic's but could not do it without upsetting their current player base.

QUOTE:
    The team tried to make some changes, but were unable to due to the sales/revenue mechanic. Hence, the power gap between existing and new users continued to widen leading to a severe imbalance in player power.

Xlgames can make a dam good sandbox  If they don't let the sales/revenue mechanic's destroy it again.
    Just for my own reference, what is the blatant problem in AA?  I could put up with all of it, even the cash shop, if the power gap wasn't so large or PvP was never forced. 

I remember when I leveled to 55 the first time.  I got Obsidian gear and upgraded it to tier two or three.  I gemmed and regraded all my stuff to like celestial or whatever the hot pink one was.  I was ready.  I messaged my IRL pal and told him about my progress.  He then made me a port to his house and gave me some stuff.  Then he told me to attack him.  Full mana bar of an archer - zero damage. 

They've added another level of upgrades and a ton more levels in the years since...
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited February 2021
    The most funny thing is they wipe out most of the old gears and turn them into synthesis junk.
    Then force players to PVP to upgrade new gears .

5.0 Relics of Hiram was the last kick on my butt and forced me to quit this game

They can just keep the old gears progression while add new gears progression to make the game more rich , but nope , they chosed to remove them.