Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Illinois is trying to ban all "violent" video games be you under or over 18

AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
edited February 2021 in General Gaming
https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/23/22297837/illinois-house-rep-evans-ban-violent-video-games
My main game is Mount & Blade wonder how long til its illegal after this

its funny how he threw in animals too
"As defined in the bill, a violent video game is described as one that “allows a user or player to control a character within the video game that is encouraged to perpetuate human-on-human violence in which the player kills or otherwise causes serious physical or psychological harm to another human or an animal.”"

rip goat simulator
Post edited by Asheram on
[Deleted User]

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I am sure it's going to work exactly as they think it would. Just like gun control.
    strawhat0981TheocritusCecropia
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Really dumb thing to do for votes.
    [Deleted User]AsheramGorwe

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    So, basically he wants to ban Grand Theft Auto 5. 

"Elsewhere in the amendments, legislators look to change the definition of “serious physical harm” to include carjacking, among other things. Rates of carjacking have increased across Chicago, with 218 incidents reported to police in January,"
    [Deleted User]Asheram

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited February 2021
    This has been looked at so many times before and no correlation has been found in the studies. But this is a perennial issue that will never go away. My fear is that so much social research is now politically led that studies will be funded until they get the result they want. Then decades of studies showing no correlation will be thrown away and the politically led one will be held up as the truth.
    KyleranGdemamiAsheramGorwe
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I live in Europe and we have nudity on television and even in ads  a breast or two and buttocks is shown. We also have the same video games but less gun violence. So you do the math and decide for yourself what is the cause for the violence. 
    ScotPo_ggYashaX

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2021
    This wont pass, too much money involved. Just politics to feed off of how openly violent people are becoming, which has everything to do with politics and nothing to do with games, unless people were doing a capitol invasion in a trial run via GTA5 or something...yeah, no....
    kitaradAsherammaskedweaselScotYashaX
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    edited February 2021
    God forbade Adam and Eve to eat the forbidden fruit. What happened?

USA forbade alcohol during Prohibition. What happened?

Hint: Hard restrictions are often wrong and simply create YEARNING in humans. Yearning for exactly the forbidden thing. This is just cheap politics.
    KyleranCecropia
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    How small would the market be if they took out all violent video games? We'd have like 10 games to choose from if that.
    KyleranILLISET
    edited February 2021
    Ciccero said:
    Asheram said:
    https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/23/22297837/illinois-house-rep-evans-ban-violent-video-games

"As defined in the bill, a violent video game is described as one that “allows a user or player to control a character within the video game that is encouraged to perpetuate human-on-human violence in which the player kills or otherwise causes serious physical or psychological harm to another human or an animal.”"

rip goat simulator

Years past I was against game censorship. Now, not so much. Freedom of this and that has pretty much anesthetized today's kids to violence, unless it's being done to them. Kids watch murder videos, share it,etc....So yah, I remember when life was all Marios and Sonics.

Then again, maybe it's simply the internet, who knows.

I would support the idea (Even though it won't pass)) for the next generation of kids and see how it panned out by age 16. But we shall never know :) 
    The idea that kids get anesthetised to violence has been with us a long time. This began I think with concerns about Tom and Jerry ( I kid you not) and always focuses on some sort of media entertainment popular at the time. Dungeons and Dragons was looked into when that became popular. Overall violence is less common in our society today than ever before, there is no reason to think people have become anesthetised to it.

However the ability the internet age gives children to download the likes of murder videos is a concern. That's not gaming though and once again politics looks to tackling what's big in the media as it cannot see the wood for the trees.
    cameltosisYashaXSabbyth
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited February 2021
    Scot said:
    Ciccero said:
    Asheram said:

rip goat simulator

Years past I was against game censorship. Now, not so much. Freedom of this and that has pretty much anesthetized today's kids to violence, unless it's being done to them. Kids watch murder videos, share it,etc....So yah, I remember when life was all Marios and Sonics.

I would support the idea (Even though it won't pass)) for the next generation of kids and see how it panned out by age 16. But we shall never know :) 
    The idea that kids get anesthetised to violence has been with us a long time. This began I think with concerns about Tom and Jerry ( I kid you not) and always focuses on some sort of media entertainment popular at the time. Dungeons and Dragons was looked into when that became popular. Overall violence is less common in our society today than ever before, there is no reason to think people have become anesthetised to it.

However the ability the internet age gives children to download the likes of murder videos is a concern. That's not gaming though and once again politics looks to tackling what's big in the media as it cannot see the wood for the trees.
    And what makes this thing worse is that they are not just trying to regulate what children can play which is all fine imo but what you and I as adults can play. Next it will be what movies and tv shows you can watch.
    ScotGdemami
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    I find it funny that our community gets up-in-arms over potential video game violence regulation, but then practically begs for micro-transaction regulation.
    You either want the government involved in your hobby, or you don't.
    Don't invite them in.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiConstantineMerusYashaX

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Doubt this will go anywhere...even in the OP's link they even state.

The bill will certainly face scrutiny. In 2011, the Supreme Court said that California legislators could not ban the sale of violent video games to minors — that video games qualify as free speech, as The Verge reported at the time

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    You know why legislatures have subcommittees?  So that they can propose bills like this to make some random campaign donor happy while ensuring that the bill will never actually go anywhere or even be brought up for a real vote.
    KyleranAsheramCuddleheart
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57
    so a game thats been released for over 7 years is causing this increase only now... surely there can be no other reason.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I believe it's just a PR-boost move, and if you look at the wide coverage it got, it's fair to say it was working... and ofc in every element it reeks idiocy, almost like on a Jack Thompson level.

"Jack who?" -one might ask, rightfully so. He tried to pull the same card, two decades ago, and guess what: GTA is still here, while most people don't even remember that clown anymore.

Not to mention the pretty huge changes within these two decades. Thompson made a fool of himself and got disbarred in the brick and mortar era, which has long gone (don't let the recent fluke of Gamestop vs. Wall Street make you think otherwise).

Aside the really dumb, alleged root cause (carjacking numbers increased, let's ban video games), it's hard to believe nobody around the guy is familiar with the technicalities vs. how the world actually works...

Ban the games in <insert random area>, they didn't hear about this thing called VPN?
    Didn't work in the past either (Germany tried to rule out Carmageddon, Australia too had pretty strict limits and they're surrounded by ocean, still players could get their copies), but now with digital distribution, how the fck he thinks to manage that?

Ban/restrict the games by age, same applies.
    Back then, with required physical ID and an adult to show up for the purchase, kids still managed to get their copies.
    Now, all it takes is clicking "Yes" to the generic "Are you over 18?" popup...

GTA V, and Online, both 18+ games, and yet still stuffed with kids, that's how "effective" the age limitation in the digital distribution era.
    Just a random search: https://youtu.be/us9x7a-DH-0
    kitarad
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    What makes me puzzled, why always the kids?
    I'm talking against myself (kinda, closer to 50 than to 40...) and maybe the majority of posters here too, but why not banning the elders instead?

Their pure and easily influenced minds are much more susceptible and have less defenses against the corruption of the evil video game industry.
    Just look at this 6 years old case study on the subject, https://youtu.be/KHoOrFdgYR8
    how fast they've turned into killing machines, shocking!

(I'm joking obviously :sunglasses: )
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I find it funny that our community gets up-in-arms over potential video game violence regulation, but then practically begs for micro-transaction regulation.
    You either want the government involved in your hobby, or you don't.
    Don't invite them in.
    The government is already in every time you buy something. They regulate advertising and info given prior to sale, terms of sale, right to cancel, right to expect the delivery to be made and the product to work, solving conflicts related to the agreement, etc.

They could regulate microtransactions as well and that would not be inviting them in to regulate the content.
    GdemamiYashaX

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Scot said:
    Ciccero said:
    Asheram said:

rip goat simulator

The only regulation that's ever shown to decrease violence is limiting the availability of guns, and even that's because without guns the consequences of violence tend to be less severe rather than the actual amount of violence decreasing.

I think that it's possible to get anesthetised to violent entertainment, but it doesn't really matter because it does not cause us to commit violence in real life.
    GdemamiArglebargleYashaX

edited February 2021
    Vrika said:
    Scot said:
    Ciccero said:
    Asheram said:

rip goat simulator

The only regulation that's ever shown to decrease violence is limiting the availability of guns, and even that's because without guns the consequences of violence tend to be less severe rather than the actual amount of violence decreasing.

I think that it's possible to get anesthetised to violent entertainment, but it doesn't really matter because it does not cause us to commit violence in real life.
    Indeed but perhaps more importantly we live in societies which overall are less violent than every before. Depending on your country some areas of violence may have increased, that picture is not the same all over, but still overall we live in countries which in the round are less violent than ever before. The media and social media may make that seem counter intuitive but that's due to what they pick to report, overall violence has gone down while gaming has boomed reaching billions of people it had not at the turn of the millennium.
    Gdemami
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Jesus that is one dumbass Democrat representative. Can't believe people like him still think video games are "evil"...
    KyleranSabbyth
  • FaileasFaileas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I had an argument exactly like this with my dad yesterday. Someone had stabbed another person to death where I live. He says that kids are becoming more violent nowadays because of their exposure to voilence at a young age through media such as vidyagames. His argument is that voilence has become "normalized" due to these outlets. I played games like Call of Duty and Wolfenstein when I was a wee lassy, and I'd like to think I've turned out quite normal. Personally I think the problem lies more in these gangs (group thinking) needing to show off to other gangs how "tough" they are by flashing their stupid weapon gear at each other. The fact that you can get deadly weapons so easily in the US doesn't help much either. I think the only way to prevent gun voilence is by limiting the access to guns. That's what has worked for us in Europe so far.

Also, to the poster above me... I had to chuckle at your "UNH0LYEV1L" username and gun avatar.. Methinks thou dost protest too much. ;)
    kitarad
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Asheram said:

rip goat simulator
    Well if I wont get my violent fix from games ill have to hurt real humans sadly. 
    AsheramRungarkitarad[Deleted User]FTrunks21

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited April 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light