Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we come together as one and play, suggestion letro ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited February 2021 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Just a thought as I mentioned before,  classic mmorpgs have a inherent problem with populations.  The only way resolve this is with a "rally" where players themselves come together to reestablish a GREAT game…. Many classics are plagued with this negative aspect. 

Us here at mmorpg.com have a chance to make a difference, because it's the only come together place I know of on the internet to have a revival for our passion. 

This is not about me, I would only play a very small part if any.  I'm not well liked and do to health issues, I can't play video games for long durations anymore.  Infact I'm not great at video games and have only one good quality to get groups together as one. 

If their is a calling for this venture, I would like to suggest lotro, but open to other possibilities. 

Here is why I would suggest lotro,

I've been playing my old level 22 Rune Keeper on the "Brandywine server" on and off for a week and found it's somewhat populated at lower mid game.  In my research and speaking with in game players, I found them all friendly and beyond F2P players. However most are Lifetime members, still many are VIP's, and willing to group….. So this game already has a strong suggestive value. 

A rally of our community can make a HUGE impact where we can find a home until something better comes along. 

More about lotro,

I'm by far NOT an expert on the payment model, infact it's extremely confusing and Standing Stone Games seem to like it that way.  I'm holding my usual grudge against tricks and corruption as many of you know my personality.

Important:

Looking past SSG's marketing…. IT'S STILL A GOOD VALUE, as long as your careful.  You need to study beyond their web site that's almost useless other than downloading and subscribing. 

My limited knowledge of payment (help from experts are required)

- Ftp to level 30

- VIP subscription for one month or more will get you to level 50 along with fast travel unlocks, better bag space and mount training past level 20, five hundred points per month to spend in store.

- Beyond level 50, requires expansive expansions, unless you catch a sale.  Alternately you can purchase quest packs that can last forever. I don't like this option, it limits who will play with you.

Putting lotro aside !!!!!

Any interest in an mmorpg.com rally ?

If so, it would require a new pub topic.  And better experts on the game choice knowledge than I 

Your thought's ?

Post edited by delete5230 on
FTrunks21MrMelGibson

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited February 2021
    My thoughts are that you need to make sure you don't get banned, we need these threads to liven up debate on the forums. Stay calm and carry on posting. :)

I think some rallying has been done in Valheim but it is still in EA. I spent over six to seven years in Lotro, its a damn fine game but having spent that long in it for me the search continues, I doubt I would go back.

That leaves up and coming MMO's which knowing our luck will start as EA, but if they launch who knows they could be potentials.
    BruceYeeAlBQuirky
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited February 2021
    Scot said:
    My thoughts are that you need to make sure you don't get banned, we need these threads to liven up debate on the forums. Stay calm and carry on posting. :)

I think some rallying has been done in Valheim but it is still in EA. I spent over six to seven years in Lotro, its a damn fine game but having spent that long in it for me the search continues, I doubt I would go back.

That leaves up and coming MMO's which knowing our luck will start as EA, but if they launch who knows they could be potentials.
    I love bands for several reasons !
    - I can get work done around the house (bad snow storms)
    - Reduce chance of seizures. 
    - Can think of more topics :)

It does not have to be lotro. 
    ScotBruceYeeAlBQuirky
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited February 2021
    I digress on the first part, but I said so in the previous "Rally" thread as well.
    Just a thought as I mentioned before,  classic mmorpgs have a inherent problem with populations.  The only way resolve this is with a "rally" where players themselves come together to reestablish a GREAT game….
    Even with several thousands of players you won't "resolve/reestablish" anything, unless we're talking about a game with a really low pop, where those thousands can make an impact.

With that aside, I support the rest, since "reestablish" or not, it's still helluva fun :)
    In the other thread I've linked Suzie's news piece ( https://www.mmorpg.com/news/mmo-bookclub-celebrating-6-months-with-new-game-vote-2000096811 ) about a similar project, they too started with LotRO and it was decently populated, more than a hundred players at once, if I remember right.

The site had similar gatherings as well, in TSW there was even an mmorpg.com cabal with shared play, organised by Shannon (can find the starter article about it here https://www.mmorpg.com/columns/starting-over-2000103616 ).

I believe my point is, rally up players is a good idea, just don't aim for "resolve some big issue". Simply having fun is enough of a goal :) 
    LotRO is a great candidate for such an endeavour, probably that's why it was selected for that bookclub project too:
    easy on the hardware, easy to get into it for any MMORPG players (with more malice: it's a Wow-clone...), the first 1-2 (at least) weeks are open and free, the community is helpful and supportive for similar projects.

(maybe ask around in that external group for tips, I assume it's fairly hard to organise and upkeep such projects, you need to do events, goals, etc. since simply just showing up won't keep players in any game for long.)
    In the booklcub there were leveling goals for each week, RP and musical gatherings, and dungeon runs for the weekends if my memory is correct.
    ScotUngood[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited February 2021
    I think Po_gg has hit it on the head, if people do this, do it for entertainment not trying to resolve issues in MMO-land. Having a staffer start this of would be a great idea' some are in Valheim they might be persuaded to have MMORPG.com doing a MMORPG say once a year?

If it had any effect like Delete suggests, leading by example would surely be enough?
    AlBQuirky
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm not really one for going back to old MMORPGs, I typically only play from launch as that is when I find it the most fun.

With LotRO, I did play from launch, and apart from a 6 month break playing WAR, I was there for something like 5 years. It was a great game, it had the best combat mechanics I've ever experienced in any game, plus I am a big Tolkien fan so I loved exploring middle earth.

But, with each expansion, I saw the game getting worse, moving away from what I enjoyed. I would have been tempted to return when I quit SWTOR, but by that point Rohan was out and the horse combat sounded awful, and they were talking about Big Battles as a replacement for raids, which didn't interest me at all.

I was almost tempted to return with the Mordor expansion as community reviews stated that the leveling content actually had some challenge to it again, plus it would have been nice to see the storyline through the completion. But, upon reading further, it sounded like the challenge had been introduced through gearing and not through abilities / tactics, basically repeating the same mistakes they made with radience, except this time they applied it to everyone and not just endgamers.
    AlBQuirkyFTrunks21
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Wish I could join you, but I also am not one for returning to games after I've put them on the shelf, especially if I didn't really enjoy them all that much the first go around.

I am in the market to play something new,  finally hit the well in FO76 but hey, it was a good 17 month run, more than most this decade.

I thought of Valheim, but I also want to wait until they "finish" it, seems a bit light on content at present and I'm looking for a longer term experience.

Thanks for the invite though, I appreciate people trying to gather folks together to have some fun, not a role I excel at really.

AlBQuirkyMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited February 2021
    remsleep said:
    Nobody wants to play with you deleted 

(relax I am kidding)
    Why because everyone's afraid of me busting everyone's balls in the Guild. 
    I'm sure they have a band key.... I'm used to it  B)

The mad squirrel on the rock has spoken (see my avatar) 
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyScotFTrunks21
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I tried LoTRO a year or two agao on the f2p model and it had some pretty bad issues iirc.....YOu were only allowed a very small amount of gold. There was a work around but it involved much grinding and the game just isn't that much fun to go through that....Like others, I appreciate you trying to rally people to make MMORPGs fun again....THis porbably just isn't the right game....Like a couple have said, maybe when one of the new ones launch it may be fun to do something with several of us playing together. What often happens though is that players get far apart in levels very early and you are left to solo for great lengths of the game.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Any rally to a game should be organic IMO. Valheim is a good example of an organic rally. Minecraft was an organic rally, Vanilla WoW was an organic rally etc etc

A good example of an inorganic rally is IMO what 'paid' streamers do.. Any game that you don't discover on your own or by natural means seems forced or tainted at least for me. Not saying I didn't have fun and some great times in the game when a paid streamer promotes a game just want to make that clear.

This covid pandemic has brought many people to games organically cause they've been forced to stay home and discover new/or old ways to entertain themselves.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]RemaliPo_ggScotGdemamiMrMelGibson
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Do we agree on anything?
    BruceYee said:
    Any rally to a game should be organic IMO. Valheim is a good example of an organic rally. Minecraft was an organic rally, Vanilla WoW was an organic rally etc etc

A good example of an inorganic rally is IMO what 'paid' streamers do.. Any game that you don't discover on your own or by natural means seems forced or tainted at least for me. Not saying I didn't have fun and some great times in the game when a paid streamer promotes a game just want to make that clear.

This covid pandemic has brought many people to games organically cause they've been forced to stay home and discover new/or old ways to entertain themselves.

I could not agree more than this :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I would be nice if there is something like one account to play them all .
    AlBQuirky
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    A rally maybe, but LotRO has a horrible f2p system.
    AlBQuirkyFTrunks21TheocritusILLISET
    edited February 2021
    What I'm gathering from response and my opinion :

First, Their are not many overall mmorpg's worth having a group effort. Honestly and I say it all the time ONLY SECOND GENERATION GAMES WOULD DO.

Were burnt out from the few 2nd Gen games we have.  Their just used up, and rehashed where players don't want to be bothered with any more. 

At the very best an "individual" desire to play one is the only way anyone would venture into one.  No one would want to deeply give their time knowing they may not stay from burnout.

Here's an example:
    An individual may re-find Everquest 2, play it a few weeks, and tell us how much fun their having.... no one would care about his individual desire. 

Been-their-done-that too many times syndrome ! 

Modern mmorpg's are way to shallow.... No reason to group, craft and trade, but to play a story. Even they are getting older, soon no one will be playing them.

To play one, the individual player would have to be "in the mood", and none of us could be in the mood at the same time.

I suggested lotro..... Well " I'm in the mood" at the moment !..... but if you asked me six months in the past or in the future, I would say na, I'm not in the mood.

Their used up and discarded, like an old rag doll. 

With Free-to-play, everyone would play the Free part and stop, best case... That's what free-to-play does !!

My question is, are we done ?
    Honestly, were here to talk about it only..... I hate to say it, me too.
    GdemamiAlBQuirkyFTrunks21
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    BruceYee said:
    Any rally to a game should be organic IMO.
    Mostly agree, however the feel/urge of gather up and play a game together could be serve as kinda organic, at least on the short term. It worked for the bookclub, just as for the site's own TSW cabal...

The short term is where the emphasis on, unfortunately. As delete says above
    I suggested lotro..... Well " I'm in the mood" at the moment !..... but if you asked me six months in the past or in the future, I would say na, I'm not in the mood.
    The cabal too went on for a month or so, maybe 2 months tops. I remember logging back on my alt later for an in-game event, to represent us, and the cabal was almost empty, with the few remaining characters inactive...

(with some digging I've found my post from back then, sadly the posted trenchcoat screenshot ain't available anymore https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6592187#Comment_6592187 
    Fun thread about TSW and about Wolfpack's TSW guide, was a nice trip down to memory lane reading it through... just as a trigger about the cabal name, it was Murphy's Lawbreakers :)  a double pun included Bill)

About LotRO and its f2p, gold is capped as Theocritus says, but that's only a purchase limit (can't easily buy something with a price higher than 2 or 5 gold (f2p/premium cap).
    You can store your excess money in your inventory though, and use that when trading players, so even the purchase limit is just for the game: can't purchase a 5.35 gold steed, or a kinship house, since NPC vendors aren't as flexible as other players.

Nevertheless, it's better to go in as a VIP. It was the suggested route for the narrative course, and I believe at the second course Turbine even did a sale on the 3 months VIP before the course started, maybe coincidence, maybe courtesy.

That way you can focus on the actual fun of playing together, instead of wrestling the f2p model. (but as said, for the first 1-2 weeks f2p is fine too. Considering the average attention span of the current gen gamers....  :D )
    AlBQuirky

Done with what, attempting a rally or with MMORPGs?

The former wasn't likely to begin with, the latter not me personally.
    AlBQuirkyFTrunks21

Done over all, lotro, morpgs, playing with others. were here to talk.
    ILLISET

Done over all, lotro, morpgs, playing with others. were here to talk.

Ah, well... That's a speak for yourself kind of thing.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Could you imagine if second generation continued on for just a few more years, the amount of choices for playing a real group style mmorpg would be ?

We don't really have that many, off the top of my head, we have:

EQ 2
    Classic WoW
    FF11
    DDO
    A few more, this is just a fast look, I'm sure just a few more.

Also add first gen, but their very old.

A Rally would be more viable if their were more choices. 
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    If I were to do it, it would have to be a real classic MMO. Like CoH, SWG, Warhammer AoR or something like that. 

I never really liked LOTRO even back in the day, and I did play it at launch. Newer MMO's are fun, but there wouldn't really be a reason to join with a large group of players, too much of the leveling game is solo, and grouping is just not an efficient way to level. 
    delete5230AlBQuirky

Could you imagine if second generation continued on for just a few more years, the amount of choices for playing a real group style mmorpg would be ?

We don't really have that many, off the top of my head, we have:

EQ 2
    Classic WoW
    FF11
    DDO
    A few more, this is just a fast look, I'm sure just a few more.

Also add first gen, but their very old.

A Rally would be more viable if their were more choices. 

A rally is viable. There are numerous old and older games available, in one way or another. It could be easily done. But the ones truly interested in those games are already playing them, and those not aren't keen on pretending they are.
    Hawkaya399AlBQuirky
    If I were to do it, it would have to be a real classic MMO. Like CoH, SWG, Warhammer AoR or something like that. 

I never really liked LOTRO even back in the day, and I did play it at launch. Newer MMO's are fun, but there wouldn't really be a reason to join with a large group of players, too much of the leveling game is solo, and grouping is just not an efficient way to level. 

For some, grouping may be more efficient at being fun. You're going to get there eventually anyway. What's the rush?
    Hawkaya399AlBQuirky
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited February 2021
    I tried LOTRO some years ago and can't remember why I quit. I think ti's good suggestion delete, but hard to do.
    AlBQuirky
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I am going to suggest Pathfinder Online.

1. no one has played it (I believe me and Slapshot and thats about it)
    2. It hardly has a population so we’ll be the majority
    3. It has little content so we’ll be making up our own adventure, they even call it a sandbox!
    4. Its really bad so we can bond over disliking the game and getting aggravated with its systems
    5. It looks basic AF so you only need a modest PC to run it
    6. It has a sub, out with the freeloaders (and everyone else)

Well, I think we have a winner here!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirkyTheocritusILLISET
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    lahnmir said:

3. It has little content so we’ll be making up our own adventure, they even call it a sandbox!
    4. Its really bad so we can bond over disliking the game and getting aggravated with its systems

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

If there is no cash shop with lootboxes and a .0000001% chance of winning anything then i am out........
    AlBQuirky
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

If there is no cash shop with lootboxes and a .0000001% chance of winning anything then i am out........
    No worries, you can but stuff with RL money! No gambling though, sub is also 5 bucks month.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer