Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is There A Fandom You Wish Had An MMO, Or At Least A Better One? | MMORPG.com

Comments

• koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    I want a Harry Potter MMO. They could make it so your time in school is like an extended tutorial and the time you choose your class.

Also I really want an Horror MMO.
    Scot
  • ircaddictsircaddicts Member UncommonPosts: 218
    I'd love a Firefly or Game of Thrones MMO. The MASSIVE world of GOT would be a great place to set an MMO. Start off as a lowly solider of one of the houses and work your way up. Houses would be like Guilds and could fight each other for the Iron Throne. Firefly could be like Star Trek online but set in Firefly Universe. Get a crew and a ship. Then explore and do jobs
    BruceYee

Top 3 MMO's PRE-CU SWG GW1 GW2

Worst 2 wow and Lotro Under standing stones it went woke 

• ircaddictsircaddicts Member UncommonPosts: 218

Iselin said:

Or thinking off the wall.   

The TV show HEROES

undefined

Loved that different take on superheroes. Especially liked Zachary Quinto before he became the new Spock as well as Masi Oka and Jack Coleman as the evil loving father.

Save The Cheerleader Save The Word
    [Deleted User]

Top 3 MMO's PRE-CU SWG GW1 GW2

Worst 2 wow and Lotro Under standing stones it went woke 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited February 2021
    1) Farscape

Their online community is one of the nicest I've ever seen.  Probably the nicest actually.  Plus I loved the show myself

Runners Up: Babylon 5, Firefly, Blakes 7

2) LOTR/Middle Earth

LOTRO just doesn't cut it.  I don't want it shut down, but it's time for a modern MMO.  Amazon is making something, set in the second age maybe?  I think rumors were that it would be more action oriented

Runners Up: Wheel of Time, A Song of Ice and Fire(probably set well before the books)

3) Marvel Heroes Online

Just give it back to us!!!

Runners Up: a decent Marvel MMO

MendelkitaradAeandergoozmania
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    In terms of books, I have two wishes: The Stormlight Archive and The Powder Mage.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2021
    I don't quite agree Torval as i happen to know studios have the tools and know how to make games fit for a king.
    It is simply a matter of time,money,manpower and the right people leading to put it altogether.

We have had great ideas,influences for over 60 years now,so pretty much every idea though of  can be mimic'd from 60 years of ideas shown to us.

There is nothing stopping a develoepr from utilizing an amazing template known from other games and simply putting in the added work,ideas and assets.

As i have stated in the past,we simply do not have enough big studios capable of great games which is why the market is flooded with incapable Indie studios.Then we would have to hope the ones capable of making such great games are WILLING which so far does not seem to be the case.

I can simply point to Blizzard/Activision huge studios,tons of manpower and money and what does Blizzard want to sell us>>>>A mobile arpg.../sigh.If that isn't proof enough devs are not interested in making great games then idk what to say to convince you.
    UngoodBruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I simply loved Farscape and Babylon 5.
    FrodoFragins

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    While it might be interesting to see specific IPs made into an MMORPG, I'm not entirely sure that re-telling a specific story actually works well in an MMORPG format.  So, while it would be great to license Asimov's Foundation trilogy, it wouldn't really work.  An MMORPG by nature needs something more open-ended than a story line, it needs an interesting world *where a character can make their own stories*.  The player needs to make meaningful decisions that affect their own story, not just watch as a pre-scripted story plays out in the game (LotRO, SWTOR).  The decisions are the essence of Role Playing to me.

So, I'd be far more likely to play something set in the worlds of Doctor Who, or Ringworld, or Farscape, but doesn't try to follow any of the established stories, than I would be to try a game where I take the role of an existing fictional character in any of those environments.  That is just too static for me, and isn't the direction an MMORPG (especially a modern one) should be taking.

QuizzicalUngood

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• jbwolf23jbwolf23 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I agree that a "Attack on Titan" mmorpg would be cool.

Also would like to see an Aliens/Predator mmorpg. (choose between being human, alien or predator with different classes/skills for each race)

Another great one would be a "Girl Genius" mmorpg. (magic, monsters and science!)
    Girl Genius is an awsome webcomic done by Professors Phil & Kaja Foglio.

The comic "Elephantmen" from Image comics, could make a great mmorpg too. (gene-spliced animal races with various attributes/skills fighting between different coporation/government factions.)
    Ungood
  • triikortriikor Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Zoids or Armoured Core

Either would be amazing! Character creator with ability to exit at anytime

Tons of equipment to mod your zoid or robot
    Remove MMO leveling and have everything sold for in game money (maybe have some gear behind Rep)
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    With the assumption that it's done well, it would have been o b firefly, alien, or blade runner.  I'd we take away my assumption of them being done right, I would remove all three of them.

I self identify as a monkey.

kitarad said:
    I'll have to rewatch B5 now that it's been upscaled fairly decently
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    kitarad said:
    I watched it all over again about two years ago. It was so great. Michael Straczynski wrote the whole story out which is why there is this overall flow to the whole series. He didn't ad hoc write it as he went through the seasons. He had a definite plan.

Farscape was so complex even Scorpius was so multilayered and fascinating and the absolute charm of all the characters and chemistry was off the charts. Ben Browder real life wife played Ahkna and she was brilliant. Pity the actress that played Pa'u was allergic to the blue body colouring. Yeah you can tell how much I loved that series.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Definitely a Marvel MMORPG. Not a Diablo style game like Marvel Heroes (although the game wasn't bad, it just was not good at retaining people for more than a few months).

I love City of Heroes and am very much anticipating Ship of Heroes, and had a lot of fun with DCUO. Obviously I like superhero style MMORPG's. Marvel has the most potential though, if they would allow players to make their own heroes rather than play the existing pantheon of heroes and villains.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    So now we know that 'Heroes' is the common ground on this site.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I don't want any of the things I like to be given the MMORPG treatment for sometime.
    I feel the technology is not there yet for the next level experience I am looking for from a massive online world in an IP I treasure.
    Let the right team(s) to come along and the tech to improve and allow the tools to be crafted to utilize that tech before it is done.
    Otherwise I feel it will just be the same game but different flavor.
    My expectations and desires for the genre have far outgrown the capabilities of the genre itself.     
    I'll check back in with it in another 5 or so years and see where we are but honestly my hopes are not high. 
    I have been able to find experiences similar, albeit in smaller scope, for now that will seemingly have to do. 

We'll be waiting forever and even if that new tech ever comes it will only be used by a small percentage of the gamer population for various reasons. Remember Nintendo 3D in the 90's that was pulled from stores almost immediately cause people were getting seizures? Look at VR now and how people who never knew they had certain problems are experiencing them after using VR. We are not advanced beings and as much as I want to be able to play entire games using only my mind anything like that will come far into the future after our descendants adapt long-term and we've been long gone.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    Legend of Dragoon...

The Dragoon spirits shatter, and shards are spread across the world, to be found by thousands of new potential Dragoons.

The colors already determine a class-like structure: Red/Berserker/DPS, Blue/Shaman-Druid/Hybrid, Green/Paladin/Tank, Black/Rogue-Warlock/Hybrid, Purple/Monk/DPS, White/Cleric/Healer, Gold/Warrior/Tank
    [Deleted User]Ungood
  • debbiddebbid Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    I would love a good Shin Megami Tensei MMO. Imagine wasn't really fun for me.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Mission Impossible-  Factions all over the world vying for influence, money, power...

V -  Aliens have landed and are taking over the planet.  Join the resistance, the Visitors, the Sympathizers or maybe even other nation states.

The Expanse-  Earth? Mars? Belter?  Free Agent?

Ender’s Saga-  The prelude game would be based on the initial novels and school age kids, but companion games/worlds would open up via FTL travel.

Star of the Guardians- One of my all time favorite series.  Look it up if you never heard of it.

Legion of Doom- City of Villains with a DC license

Monsters-  Think City of Heroes/Villains but with a classic horror twist.  Make a unique creature, evildoer, monster hunter, scientist...  Create a lair, raid the local town, protect the local church...  

Linif

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

kitarad said:
    kitarad said:
    I watched it all over again about two years ago. It was so great. Michael Straczynski wrote the whole story out which is why there is this overall flow to the whole series. He didn't ad hoc write it as he went through the seasons. He had a definite plan.

Farscape was so complex even Scorpius was so multilayered and fascinating and the absolute charm of all the characters and chemistry was off the charts. Ben Browder real life wife played Ahkna and she was brilliant. Pity the actress that played Pa'u was allergic to the blue body colouring. Yeah you can tell how much I loved that series.
    Yeah I was on the moderated usenet message boards starting in S2 of Babylon 5.  I kept up with everything during it's run. :)

Farscape is easier and more fun for me to watch.  I like the dialogue, humor and characterizations better.  Having multiple stroing writers helped there imo.  I also kept up with the scifi official forums during Farscapes run.  Ever since, I've only been that dedicated to a show and its fandom twice with Lost and Game Of Thrones through season 6.
    kitarad
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    bmc5063 said:
    Marvel. The fact that the incredibly large fandom created by the MCU hasn't capitalized on a good MMO is baffling to me. DCUO is a passable MMO. Even that level of effort put into Marvel could be huge. Marvel Heroes was a gem by the time it got itself fixed up - RIP. Marvel's Avengers could have been something else if they didn't fumble the GaaS component and had frequent updates a la Destiny.
    Two posts in eight years, we need more than that my man. Welcome back to the forums! :)
  • waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    the Stargate franchise would make a great mmorpg

Godz of War I call Thee

• LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Legion of Doom- City of Villains with a DC license

Monsters-  Think City of Heroes/Villains but with a classic horror twist.  Make a unique creature, evildoer, monster hunter, scientist...  Create a lair, raid the local town, protect the local church...  
    I want these two very much.

As for my own ideas, something like Sea of Thieves but more MMORPG and steampunk/airships. Thinking like Treasure Planet style.

Or something a little more hardcore. Dark Souls-esque MMO. Though I think that'd only work in a hubbed system...
  • mortarionmortarion Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Star Gate
    Ungood