Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is There A Fandom You Wish Had An MMO, Or At Least A Better One? | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageIs There A Fandom You Wish Had An MMO, Or At Least A Better One? | MMORPG.com

Bradford's daughter loves the anime show Digimon. And while there is a Digi-themed MMO, it's not something that his daughter would actually enjoy. When contemplating a Digimon MMO for his kid, iIt got him thinking: is there a fandom from his childhood that he wished had a full-featured MMORPG?

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited February 2021
    There is something wrong with that title maybe: "Is There A Fandom You Wish Had *In/as* An MMO, Or At Least A Better One?"

Also you only use "an" instead of "a" before a word starting with a vowel, but I have seen players disregarding that when it comes to "MMO" for years.
    [Deleted User]
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I love the Digimon World Cyber Sleuth RPGs, but the mmo Digimon Masters Online is just not very good. It's not terrible, but it's just very generic and outdated. I wouldn't mind a good Digimon mmo that's closer to the Cyber Sleuth games than it is to Digimon Masters.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Fire Emblem

Mass Effect

Marvel

Scot said:
    There is something wrong with that title maybe: "Is There A Fandom You Wish Had *In* An MMO, Or At Least A Better One?"

Also you only use "an" instead of "a" before a word starting with a vowel, but I have seen players disregarding that when it comes to "MMO" for years.
    MMO starts with an "em" sound, which is a vowel sound. So "an MMO" sounds better than "a MMO" when said aloud. Pretty sure it falls under the use exceptions, like "an honorable man" being correct over "a honorable man." English is a weird language that often bends itself over backwards to sound better.
    ScotcheyaneMendel
    edited February 2021
    Well if a fandom needs a grammar Nazi, there is me.

"didn’t want to only editorialize on Valheim every other day". Really? We hadn't noticed. :)

Seems like we are doing stuff we grew up with as kids, so I am going to go for "Mr Benn". What is Mr Benn you ask? Well it was only the greatest cartoon for kids back then:
    If we are thinking more teens it can only be the Tomorrow People: image
    [Deleted User]

Aeander said:

Fire Emblem

Mass Effect

Marvel

Scot said:

There is something wrong with that title maybe: "Is There A Fandom You Wish Had *In* An MMO, Or At Least A Better One?"

MMO starts with an "em" sound, which is a vowel sound. So "an MMO" sounds better than "a MMO" when said aloud. Pretty sure it falls under the use exceptions, like "an honorable man" being correct over "a honorable man." English is a weird language that often bends itself over backwards to sound better.

It depends how you pronounce it; it is "M" as in "moo" cow using the Queens English, though other pronunciations vary I am sure. ;)
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Scot said:

Got me curious and, seems like using "a" or "an" in the case of abbreviations is a matter of "it depends"

From https://www.proof-reading-service.com/en/blog/appropriate-use-articles-abbreviations/ (but similar wording found in various places):

"When an indefinite article is needed immediately before an abbreviation, the pronunciation of the abbreviation determines whether ‘a’ or ‘an’ should be used. ‘A’ is the correct choice before abbreviations beginning with a consonant sound, including a vowel pronounced as a ‘w’ or ‘y’ sound. Examples include ‘a PhD,’ ‘a NASA launch’ and ‘a UNICEF greeting card.’ When an abbreviation begins with a vowel sound, however, including a consonant pronounced with an initial vowel sound, ‘an’ should be used instead, as in ‘an APA style of referencing,’ ‘an IQ test’ and ‘an MP’s riding.’"

So, phonetically, MMO would be "em em ˈəʊ" which would start with a vowel sound and therefore get an "an"
    ScotcheyaneMendel

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

mklinic said:

Scot said:

Got me curious and, seems like using "a" or "an" in the case of abbreviations is a matter of "it depends"

From https://www.proof-reading-service.com/en/blog/appropriate-use-articles-abbreviations/ (but similar wording found in various places):

"When an indefinite article is needed immediately before an abbreviation, the pronunciation of the abbreviation determines whether ‘a’ or ‘an’ should be used. ‘A’ is the correct choice before abbreviations beginning with a consonant sound, including a vowel pronounced as a ‘w’ or ‘y’ sound. Examples include ‘a PhD,’ ‘a NASA launch’ and ‘a UNICEF greeting card.’ When an abbreviation begins with a vowel sound, however, including a consonant pronounced with an initial vowel sound, ‘an’ should be used instead, as in ‘an APA style of referencing,’ ‘an IQ test’ and ‘an MP’s riding.’"

So, phonetically, MMO would be "em em ˈəʊ" which would start with a vowel sound and therefore get an "an"

I am being a pedantic grammar Nazi here, just in case anyone is still in doubt. It is totally down to pronunciation, quite so.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm a big fan of McDonald's french fries (craving some right now actually) and wouldn't you know it? There is a game for that:

ScotUngood
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    I think there is a huge difference between wishing there was an MMO or game from my childhood, and wishing there was a good one. 

For me, ideally, I always wanted an D&D MMO, It just seems like something that would fit the bill of the ideal MMO experience, and I have got to admit. DDO delivers a solid game. Now, many can say it's not anywhere near what it could have been, but it's still IMHO, really solid, and far better than anything else as far as D&D MMO's go, and it's god level awesome compared to that trash called Neverwinter. But sadly, it feels old, sloppy, and clunky in contrast to MMO's like ESO and GW2, and I hate to say it, but that is what it is competing against.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited February 2021
    mklinic said:
    Scot said:

When dealing with consonants that are being used in an acronym, the appropriate form to use is "an" if the consonant's pronunciation begins with a vowel.  M is said "em" just like N is said "in."    

This is exactly right so a MMORPG isn't correct and it also sounds wrong.

With English I always go with what sounds right. If it does not sound right then better to check and see if one is mistaken about the spelling and pronunciation.

Well @Scot if you going to be a pedantic grammar Nazi then it is bear a resemblance and not bare as you used in another thread.

I am just pulling your leg. In all probability you spelt it wrong. I doubt you thought it was bare. I make mistakes all the time so I am the last one to talk.
    [Deleted User]Ungood
    Chamber of Chains
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Scot said:

I am being a pedantic grammar Nazi here, just in case anyone is still in doubt. It is totally down to pronunciation, quite so.

ahh sorry. Wasn't trying to pull a "Well, actually..." there. Your point just got me curious and sent me off on a workday distraction to find an answer. :)

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

Iselin said:
    I'm a big fan of McDonald's french fries (craving some right now actually) and wouldn't you know it? There is a game for that:

Is this anything like:

https://www.addictinggames.com/strategy/burger-tycoon
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited February 2021
    cheyane said:
    mklinic said:
    Scot said:

When dealing with consonants that are being used in an acronym, the appropriate form to use is "an" if the consonant's pronunciation begins with a vowel.  M is said "em" just like N is said "in."    

This is exactly right so a MMORPG isn't correct and it also sounds wrong.

With English I always go with what sounds right. If it does not sound right then better to check and see if one is mistaken about the spelling and pronunciation.

Well @Scot if you going to be a pedantic grammar Nazi then it is bear a resemblance and not bare as you used in another thread.

I am just pulling your leg. In all probability you spelt it wrong. I doubt you thought it was bare. I make mistakes all the time so I am the last one to talk.
    We all do, but I do get this urge to correct which is sometimes unbareable. ;)

To me though there is no "em" in "M", sorry to any rappers out there. But seriously I don't hear an "e" when I say it. Maybe most people do as most use "an MMO"?
    cheyane
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Xenoblade Chronicles, Chrono Series, Dragon Age Series, Mass Effect Series... Dragon Quest (in the West). Those top my MMO wishlist.
    cheyane
    I stand by wanting a good Warhammer 40K MMO.
    BruceYeeScotLinifmortarion

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Dungeons and Dragons.   No I do not mean the version that came out.  I mean a real D&D with player created modules and DMs.  I think that would be the ultimate. 

Rumor is that a D&D2 might be coming.  We shall see.

If we are talking about a setting... Then I'd go with Dragonlance and the world of Krynn
    [Deleted User]Scot

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Or thinking off the wall.   

The TV show HEROES

undefined
    Iselincheyaneircaddicts[Deleted User]BruceYeeScot

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Or thinking off the wall.   

The TV show HEROES

undefined
    Loved that different take on superheroes. Especially liked Zachary Quinto before he became the new Spock as well as Masi Oka and Jack Coleman as the evil loving father.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I want 'Attack on Titan' to be made into an MMORPG.
    Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There have been TWO renditions of my long dreamed of mmo,so you might think i have been super fortunate.

Well no and sort of because the FIRST was terrible,played like 15 minutes and deleted.That long dreamed of game since i was a young kid was from watching the Ray Harryhausen movies.
    These were the SINBAD movies with Cyclops and giant creatures and sailing around looking for these lost Islands.

Yep the second rendition of said dream was ATLAS.At it's core Atlas has the potential to be my dream game and perhaps the best game ever made.Sadly a game is only as good as it's developer and the devs behind Atlas are utter crap.

So i have been teased twice and although letdown,Atlas did offer me a LOT of what i had hoped for but the devs soemhow managed to take a lot of that away from me and made the gameplay worse...grrrrr.

So now i can only hope and dream to see another attempt do it better.A real longshot when i see giant develoeprs panhandling crap like ARPG's ,MOBILEcrap arpg's grrr.Or Epic games all in with Fortnite,Riot games same shooter.It really seems NOBODY wants to make GREAT games anymore.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

It is really sad when all i see is the INDIE developers trying to make WORLDS and great immersive games.All the money bag devs just want to make cash shop games.

I mean geesh does it get any worse than  see Star Citizen with hundreds of millions and all they want to do is operate a ship selling cash shop.

Although i applaud the Indie devs for trying,we will never see the dream come from an Indie studio.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If you want the MMO to actually be good, then make sure that it's a gaming IP to begin with. It's one thing to make an MMO out of Warcraft, Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, or Uncharted Waters IPs. It's quite another to make one out of a television show, movie, or book. The latter will probably ask primarily how to most efficiently monetize people being willing to pay for the IP, and the answer is likely to include not spending very much on development. So you get some awful gacha game where you pay to draw random characters from the IP and the game then markets itself as an MMO because you're competing with a lot of other players to see who can spend the most.
    Mendel
  • bmc5063bmc5063 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Marvel. The fact that the incredibly large fandom created by the MCU hasn't capitalized on a good MMO is baffling to me. DCUO is a passable MMO. Even that level of effort put into Marvel could be huge. Marvel Heroes was a gem by the time it got itself fixed up - RIP. Marvel's Avengers could have been something else if they didn't fumble the GaaS component and had frequent updates a la Destiny.
    BruceYeeScot
    edited February 2021
    This is an example of Harryhausen's work that inspired my dream game.As you can see the ideas of ARK/Atlas live out these ideas.This stuff began in the 50's and even much earlier so most people are more akin with Anime than the stuff i was raised on.

UngoodScotSovrath

• spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    That fact that Pokemon isn't an MMO blows my mind.