Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online's Next Chapter is Blackwood, Launches June 1 on PC and June 8 on Console | MMOR

2»

Comments

• GorweGorwe Member Posts: 380
    TheAmir said:

Gorwe said:

I really don't like ESO. I have tried to like it multiple times, but...it's just too weird to me. I prefer something simple to use(like AMEs from SWTOR) while gearing and leveling and it's just not there in ESO(not without joining crafting guilds). And the combat...combat is dreadfully dull. I mean, in theory it should be good, but in practice you just spam the same things over and over.

ESO has been one of my biggest disappointments, right after GW 2.

Same. I've tried it 3 or 4 times and just completely get bored by the combat. Lack of a real AH is also a stupid idea; I don't want to have to join a guild AND pay those people money -just- so we might have a chance to buy a trader in a town and actually sell something. It's beyond -stupid-
    In the end it's just weird to me. Sure, the combat does have its moments and the entire art side is very nicely pulled off, but...there are also weird decisions I'll never understand. Guild system and the entire gearing system are my biggest hurdles. It's not like in a lot of other MMOs where there are reputation systems or vendors that give you equipment you need to fully experience the game, no. You have to join a guild, beyond stupid. Oh and the way how NPCs talk to you while others are literally jumping in the background...they should've really copied SWTOR here.

As I said, in the end it's unfortunately just too weird to me. And it's a shame because it is such a beautiful game.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 15,103
    Gorwe said:
    TheAmir said:

Gorwe said:

I really don't like ESO. I have tried to like it multiple times, but...it's just too weird to me. I prefer something simple to use(like AMEs from SWTOR) while gearing and leveling and it's just not there in ESO(not without joining crafting guilds). And the combat...combat is dreadfully dull. I mean, in theory it should be good, but in practice you just spam the same things over and over.

Same. I've tried it 3 or 4 times and just completely get bored by the combat. Lack of a real AH is also a stupid idea; I don't want to have to join a guild AND pay those people money -just- so we might have a chance to buy a trader in a town and actually sell something. It's beyond -stupid-
    In the end it's just weird to me. Sure, the combat does have its moments and the entire art side is very nicely pulled off, but...there are also weird decisions I'll never understand. Guild system and the entire gearing system are my biggest hurdles. It's not like in a lot of other MMOs where there are reputation systems or vendors that give you equipment you need to fully experience the game, no. You have to join a guild, beyond stupid. Oh and the way how NPCs talk to you while others are literally jumping in the background...they should've really copied SWTOR here.

As I said, in the end it's unfortunately just too weird to me. And it's a shame because it is such a beautiful game.
    I'm not a fan of the guild vendor system either. I'd much rather have an AH too, but you actually don't need it to gear up. You only need it to make more gold than you would ever spend if that's your thing.

The best gear is either crafted which anyone can craft or bind on pick up that can't be sold through the gear vendors. You get that best BOP gear in group dungeons and trials. Grouping is the only thing required for that.

The only gear sold at the guild vendors is the stuff that everyone can collect in overland solo game play. Some of that is not really all that bad either compared to BIS gear from trials and since anyone can grind it it also sells pretty cheap.

Crafting the best stuff is all about going to the crafting locations in the world where that particular set you're interested in can be made. All of those locations are accessible solo somewhere in the world. You can also max all the crafts yourself, even on one character if you want, so that's not a reason you'd need to join a guild either.

You know what actually sells best and is the most expensive to buy in those guild stores? Motif style pages which are the things that give your gear a particular look. A lot of people in ESO go crazy over that stuff and it's also why all of their yearly events have style pages as the main reward for doing the event.

Keeping up with the Jones by using the latest look on my gear is not something that has ever interested me in MMOs so for me it's perfectly viable to be 100% self-sufficient for all my gearing needs.

Guild vendors are convenient to buy that one missing piece to complete your overland set or food, potions and piosons if you don't feel like grinding or crafting but it's honestly totally optional if you don't want to deal with it.

I'm not trying to talk you into playing it. Just correcting the misconception you seem to have about needing to use the guild vendor system.
    Gorwe
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 380
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    TheAmir said:

Gorwe said:

I'm not a fan of the guild vendor system either. I'd much rather have an AH too, but you actually don't need it to gear up. You only need it to make more gold than you would ever spend if that's your thing.

The best gear is either crafted which anyone can craft or bind on pick up that can't be sold through the gear vendors. You get that best BOP gear in group dungeons and trials. Grouping is the only thing required for that.

The only gear sold at the guild vendors is the stuff that everyone can collect in overland solo game play. Some of that is not really all that bad either compared to BIS gear from trials and since anyone can grind it it also sells pretty cheap.

Crafting the best stuff is all about going to the crafting locations in the world where that particular set you're interested in can be made. All of those locations are accessible solo somewhere in the world. You can also max all the crafts yourself, even on one character if you want, so that's not a reason you'd need to join a guild either.

You know what actually sells best and is the most expensive to buy in those guild stores? Motif style pages which are the things that give your gear a particular look. A lot of people in ESO go crazy over that stuff and it's also why all of their yearly events have style pages as the main reward for doing the event.

Keeping up with the Jones by using the latest look on my gear is not something that has ever interested me in MMOs so for me it's perfectly viable to be 100% self-sufficient for all my gearing needs.

Guild vendors are convenient to buy that one missing piece to complete your overland set or food, potions and piosons if you don't feel like grinding or crafting but it's honestly totally optional if you don't want to deal with it.

I'm not trying to talk you into playing it. Just correcting the misconception you seem to have about needing to use the guild vendor system.
    I know I don't need to. I just prefer your typical Reputations or, even better, how SWTOR does it via AMEs(and orange gear). It's purely a personal preference.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,853
    The biggest roadblock I have with revisiting the game is coming back up to speed with builds and mechanics. Going in and figuring out everything that works, what has changed, what doesn't work well anymore, and how to retool (or even start fresh) is daunting. Not so much in that I won't be able to figure it out, but that going over it all again doesn't seem very interesting.

It isn't just ESO, but I've experienced this in a few of my ARPGs. In this case the build complexity and the learning curve outweighs the content. I got part way through the content in one ARPG and realized I needed to do a lot more build/skill/trait synergy research. I felt like the amount of available content didn't justify the effort. In short the build system outweighed what the content could deliver. It was mostly just a big grind fight with the RNG to tweak out BIS gear. I put that down to return to Grim Dawn and found they just issued a new balance pass which basically did the same thing. I went back to playing Fallout 4 until I can decide what I want to do.

A lot of games, especially MMOs, develop this problem. Returning and getting back up to speed on the mechanics is more effort than the satisfaction playing can deliver. Instead of just playing I'm relearning things I already partially know and that gets boring quickly.
    GorweIselin
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 15,103
    @Torval,

It is definitely all MMOs and I'd go even further and I would say all games while they're still in the active development stage - for the first year or two before the "GOTY" or "definitive edition" comes out.

MMOs are worse but that's just because they never end that developmental cycle. If you're out or a year or two there's tons to relearn including the basics.

Torval
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
    Iselin said:
    Torval,

It is definitely all MMOs and I'd go even further and I would say all games while they're still in the active development stage - for the first year or two before the "GOTY" or "definitive edition" comes out.

MMOs are worse but that's just because they never end that developmental cycle. If you're out or a year or two there's tons to relearn including the basics.

You nailed it. It isn't unexpected that ARPGs do this either. Many like to do sweeping balances passes often.

This is also probably a significant reason why I liked WoW up until the point they started doing seasonal resets or refreshes.

Stopped playing Borderlands 3 after a short bit because they have done something similar. Their build system isn't as deep so doesn't really ask as much, but I did get worn out on their balancing act.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

klash2def said:

THE best MMO on the market and it keeps getting better, I love the new CP system it looks fun

You should try some other mmorpg,this seems to be your first.

Eso has the absolute weakest combat of all mmos, and that's not a positive thing.

Floaty animations, combat with zero response, console dumped down combat, no real end game. Servers running like shit, stupid cancel animation, a new update, hundreds of new bugs. EU server down the first 24 hours when there's a patch.

I come back from time to time when something new gets released, but I vanish just as quick as I came back.

The game would be dead if it wasn't on console. You can thank the lack of mmos on console for that.
    edited January 30
    You don't like ESO combat so this must be his first MMO because it's his favorite. That's a leap. You hate the combat feeling it is the worst in the genre yet you come back from time to time. Sure you do. How can anyone take a post like that seriously. You've literally been parroting this for years now.
    Iselin

• Mars_OMGMars_OMG Member EpicPosts: 3,103
    Wish they'd make a real movie, that was awesome !
    - abandoning social media could possibly save the world.