Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Can't Stop Playing Valheim | MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited February 2021
    Kyleran said:
    Asheram said:
    klash2def said:
    Not really a fan of the Viking aesthetic too much.. I did enjoy the show for what it's worth. Glad people are enjoying it though. I feel the same thing about Pirates. Just not really a fan of the aesthetic/theme.

The “Viking Age” and the “Vikings” are purely mythological creations. But there are of course interesting historical facts about the Nordic people. Viking mythology definitely became mixed up with the real facts from the history of Nordic people. That is modern-day "Viking" Culture. Nordic people did not even call themselves such a term. Something about that bothers me, I can't put my finger on it directly. 

Also, they were not giants as Hollywood portrays, most were around 5 ft tall on average although muscular. So basically Warcraft Dwarves! LOL! I can't lie though, a boat full of angry dwarves with axes is still sort of intimidating haha imagine them running at you full speed. 

Look, I know this game isn't a historically accurate game, I get it, still does not excuse the "Viking" theme for me.

The whole "survival game but in this setting" thing is getting tired if im being honest. Also, the game is EA, not my cup of tea to pay for an EA Viking Survival game. Way too many negatives for me ha but I DO wish them success! More games are always a good thing. 

Well at least the developers are Swedish. The game is based on Norse mythology so its more fantasy and not trying to be like shows like Vikings or The Last Kingdom.
    Perhaps they based it on 6 th century Anglo Saxons.  

(Ref The Dig, a good movie I watched yesterday.)
    Nah its Norse mythology. Yggdrassil and the 9 realms. They made Valheim as a 10th realm, purgatory for the game. The game map is flat and you can sail off of the edge if you felt so inclined to do so.

You can see yggdrasil in the sky in game

Thank you for the movie suggestion ;)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Tokken
  • HopestealerHopestealer Member UncommonPosts: 14

Game is certainly getting a lot of hype.

Can someone elaborate on how the servers work? Is it all Peer to Peer or is there dedicated server hosting? Can I play locally and never have people join my private server?

You can just play the game solo with no one ever joining your server
    Or you can play on your server and allow others to join you
    Or you can join a community server
    Or you can rent a private server (on a site like G-Portal) that runs 24/7 so everyone can play whenever they want like we do

Oh. So it's very much like how they do it at 7 Days to Die?
    I like that way to do it very much
    [Deleted User]Asheram[Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Love reading everyone's experiences in this game.
    Asheram[Deleted User][Deleted User]Kyleran
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    cheyane said:

Join us... and together, we will rule the galaxy !

Err wrong movie... but you got the idea ;)
    Join us after launch and together we will rule a newly improved galaxy. ;)
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited February 2021
    cheyane said:

I am busy levelling my ball lightning miner on Path of Exile. I am scared if I try this it will suck me in and that will be the end of Path of Exile considering how frustrating it has been at higher levels.

I am surprisingly monogamers  :p
    ScotKyleran
    Chamber of Chains
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    remsleep said:
    Asheram said:

I've seen Heilung live twice now - amazing to see anyone on this forum even know about this amazing band.

Maria Franz is such an amazing vocalist

Full show 

My brother introduced me to Heilung about 3 years ago. Whilst I don't listen to much of their stuff, Krigsgaldr is an amazing song and has been a regular on my playlists ever since :-)

Definitely jealous of the live shows, they seem like a real experience, truly unique compared to most live music.
    Asheram
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Is this like ARK where there are public servers or is it single/private server only?  How many people can play together?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scot said:
    cheyane said:

Yep, by then they'll probably be 20 islands / bosses, public servers, 12 classes, combat shotguns and star fighters.

;)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited February 2021
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    cheyane said:

Yep, by then they'll probably be 20 islands / bosses, public servers, 12 classes, combat shotguns and star fighters.

;)
    Hopefully they won't go as far as the star fighters. :)

But there is money being pumped into this, though time is an issue in that they are not going to put huge amounts in if it launches this year. What we do know is launch will be a better game.
    Is this like ARK where there are public servers or is it single/private server only?  How many people can play together?
    There are no public servers, single player is hosted on your pc. 10 player co-op is on dedicated private servers.
    Cuddleheart
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    cheyane said:

;)

But there is money being pumped into this, though time is an issue in that they are not going to put huge amounts in if it launches this year. What we do know is launch will be a better game.
    Too late.  We already have Starships in Valheim:

A wooden millennium falcon fit for a viking
    Asheram[Deleted User]Scot[Deleted User][Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    cheyane said:

;)

lol is that the millenium falcon?

[Deleted User]
    Asheram said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    cheyane said:

;)

Yup.
    Asheram

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

remsleep said:
    Asheram said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    cheyane said:

;)

Yup.

If they don't fix AI by launch - the first thing I am gonna build is a huge 

AI SUCKS

Structure :)

Gonna put a workbench under A so that it counts as having a proper roof over it and can actually be used
    You really need help.  I'm gonna stop responding because I think this has gotten to an unhealthy state that I do not want to contribute to.  Good luck.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    lotrlore said:

so, this is a single player game right? i mean, if i want to play it alone, i can do it without annoying people stealing everything?

You can! Also, if you do play on a server, you can built Warding totems to essentially lock down your stuff from other players. We're all on a server together playing so it's mostly communal, but I do like there are some ways to protect your gear.

Also, flagging for PVP is as easy as a toggle in your inventory menu, so you don't have to worry about being killed by another player if you are flagged for PVE only.

Why even have PVP at all? It is just a nuisance. Just make a good PVE game and focus on that. I really don't want to play a game where I have to worry about what other players will do. If it comes down to a trust factor, and i don't trust other players. THis is why people are asking fi they can play solo and not have to deal with players, because other players can ruin the game.
    edited February 2021
    remsleep said:
    Asheram said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    cheyane said:

;)

Yup.

AI SUCKS

Gonna put a workbench under A so that it counts as having a proper roof over it and can actually be used
    You really need help.  I'm gonna stop responding because I think this has gotten to an unhealthy state that I do not want to contribute to.  Good luck.
    IKR, maybe if we all just mocked agreed with him and proclaim that "Valheim sux" he will lose steam and quit posting in valheim threads.

lotrlore said:

so, this is a single player game right? i mean, if i want to play it alone, i can do it without annoying people stealing everything?

You can! Also, if you do play on a server, you can built Warding totems to essentially lock down your stuff from other players. We're all on a server together playing so it's mostly communal, but I do like there are some ways to protect your gear.

Also, flagging for PVP is as easy as a toggle in your inventory menu, so you don't have to worry about being killed by another player if you are flagged for PVE only.

Why even have PVP at all? It is just a nuisance. Just make a good PVE game and focus on that. I really don't want to play a game where I have to worry about what other players will do. If it comes down to a trust factor, and i don't trust other players. THis is why people are asking fi they can play solo and not have to deal with players, because other players can ruin the game.
    There essentially is no pvp unless you yourself activate it. They put it like that so if people wanted to make a server for consensual pvp they could.
    lotrlore said:

PvP damage is by default off.  You literally have to go and manually turn it on each time you login.

As to why a PvE based game would have it...  well it turns on player damage.  That means friendly fire.  So positioning suddenly gets a whole lot more impactful.  
    Asheram[Deleted User]

remsleep said:
    Asheram said:
    remsleep said:
    Asheram said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    cheyane said:

;)

Yup.

AI SUCKS

IKR, maybe if we all just mocked agreed with him and proclaim that "Valheim sux" he will lose steam and quit posting in valheim threads.

The game doesn't suck though - nor have i ever said even once that it did.

Ahh so you bought it finally? Awesome.
    [Deleted User]
    Some people can't stop playing Valheim.   Some people can't stop posting about it :)

[Deleted User]Asheram

remsleep said:
    Stizzled said:
    150 hours and climbing. I kind of hate myself for spending so much time in the game already, but my little mini version of Helm's Deep is nearing completion.

There's about 20 of us in our gaming circle. We all play WoW together. The 12 or so of them that aren't playing Valheim are super pissed at the rest of us. We've all been just raid logging, the rest of our game time is all in Valheim.

Sounds like when my guild was all heavily into Terraria - 1000 hours later... hehe
    Interesting how Valheim doesnt appeal to you, it takes alot of inspiration from Terraria.
    Stizzled said:
    150 hours and climbing. I kind of hate myself for spending so much time in the game already, but my little mini version of Helm's Deep is nearing completion.

There's about 20 of us in our gaming circle. We all play WoW together. The 12 or so of them that aren't playing Valheim are super pissed at the rest of us. We've all been just raid logging, the rest of our game time is all in Valheim.
    Someone made a mod for this:

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    edited February 2021
    remsleep said:
    Asheram said:
    remsleep said:
    Stizzled said:

Sounds like when my guild was all heavily into Terraria - 1000 hours later... hehe
    Interesting how Valheim doesnt appeal to you, it takes alot of inspiration from Terraria.

The game 100% appeals to me - how did you get the idea that it doesn't.

I am also a huge Zelda Breath of the Wild fan - and survival game fan and Minecraft fan.

Valheim has all the appeal it can possibly have for me.

So drop the $20 already ;)

remsleep said:
    Asheram said:
    Stizzled said:

Someone made a mod for this:

How did they get the "blocks" to float - Valheim does not allow floating blocks.
    Well its from that link for mods that Jean Luc Picard posted, so I am assuming they did some modding to make that possible.
    edited February 2021
    remsleep said:
    Asheram said:
    remsleep said:
    Asheram said:
    remsleep said:
    Stizzled said:

The game 100% appeals to me - how did you get the idea that it doesn't.

I am also a huge Zelda Breath of the Wild fan - and survival game fan and Minecraft fan.

Valheim has all the appeal it can possibly have for me.

So drop the $20 already ;)

I'd gladly pay full $50-$80 full price right now for the fully finished game

I dont do early access under any circumstances 

I am in no hurry - if this takes them a year or two to fully finish - it will be just that much better when I finally get to play it
    Oh come on, you said you didnt refund $60 for cyberpunk when you found out it was really early acces.

With the sheer amount of people happy spending the $20 you have nothing to lose.

I have 400+ hours in Valheim and 64 hours in CP2077. I fully expected Valheim to cost more than it did at EA release after my time in the beta.