Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valheim Nears 500,000 Concurrent Players | MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Children!
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    That's insane!

Is it THAT good?  I mean the price helps boost sales and numbers but damn son.
  • G3NexisG3Nexis Member UncommonPosts: 84

aivarioha said:

it is a terrible game, there is no one world when you could come an play. You need to have a group of people to play it.

I played this with friends and solo and it is 100% playable either way...

Sorry you have no friends and suck at playing games with any level of difficulty... lawl
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Had my first real bug today.

Logged in and was just doing some organizing in a base with a friend while waiting for another to login.  I stepped through a portal to go to our main base and instantly got a message saying I had died.  Then I was stuck at the swirling portal screen.  I had read that some people lost their characters if the just shut the game down so I waited and waited.  My friend used the same portal with no issues.  

Finally I gave up and had to shut it down.  When I logged back in I was on my bed in the main base (destination portal) and had all my items and skills.  Breathing a sigh of relief I go out to our Portal Chamber and see a tombstone in front of the portal back to the first base.  It’s mine, and it contained all my items... in duplicate.  

Now we didn’t need the weapons and armor but I will admit that doubling my stack of Serpent Stew was nice and I did grab the extra stack :)

[Deleted User]Asheram

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

That's insane!

It is that good.
    An out of nowhere surprise for many.
    Very immersive and addictive experience.
    Highly recommended 
    I still need to finish subnautica as I'm not a big survival player.  But I'll get it eventually.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    That's insane!

It is that good.
    An out of nowhere surprise for many.
    Very immersive and addictive experience.
    Highly recommended 
    I still need to finish subnautica as I'm not a big survival player.  But I'll get it eventually.
    Subnautica is great too. I really enjoyed that as well. I have not played the second one yet but plan to. 

Haven't played it fully through yet only a couple hours, I am waiting to get VR to play it that way.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    remsleep said:
    Slapshot1188 said:No.. its the concept that playing the game naturally should be how you judge it.  Not having compiled all the exploits that the world has discovered over a month.  As soon as you start "cheating" you have ruined the game.  Is that so hard to understand?  And yes... looking every advantage up on a forum or watching exploit videos is cheating...

How did you move goal posts from "bad AI" to "cheating by watching videos that show tactics"?

If the game has poor AI - it has poor AI no matter if you watch videos or not. 

This is not something that changes at all.
    I do expect you to turn up in every. single. game thread from this point on though and condemn its AI. Since every game has bad AI and it is worth mentioning over and over again for Valheim it is only logical to do it for every other game from now on. I mean, its fair criticism and all. Or the time you need to cheat/speedrun it, or how difficult it is by playing the games systems instead of the actual game. Or how much content there is when you skip 90% of it

Lets see how many games end up being good when you apply these standards, here’s a hint, none. And even better, you don’t have to play ANY of these games, you can just make up your mind by reading reviews or watching videos. Not all of them though, just a select view that support a certain angle. 

The fact that we are even discussing this is ridiculous, its like a clown telling a brain surgeon he is doing a bad job because he has watched the first three seasons of Greys Anatomy. We own the game, we play it, extensively even. We know what it is and isn’t.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]AsheramBrainySlapshot1188FrodoFraginskitarad
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Damn, I am starting to wonder if remsleep was bullied by Valheim devs for his lunch money as a kid. He is in every thread and even opened one of his own, its like a unhealthy obsession IMHO.
    Has he even spent the entry fee that's less than dinner and movie? Does he think he is saving some poor schmuck some pennies? 
    [Deleted User]BrainySlapshot1188[Deleted User]
    Asheram said:
    Damn, I am starting to wonder if remsleep was bullied by Valheim devs for his lunch money as a kid. He is in every thread and even opened one of his own, its like a unhealthy obsession IMHO.
    Has he even spent the entry fee that's less than dinner and movie? Does he think he is saving some poor schmuck some pennies? 
    Not only hasn't he paid the entry fee, he turned down an offer to buy it for him.
    Asheram

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158

remsleep said:

When all is said and done I will have had 100+ hours of fun with my friends in Valheim for a cost of $20.

If they never add content and I never load it up again it still ranks as one of the best gaming values I have had in a very long time.

"value" is often brought up and I honestly think it misses the point.

It's not about the value - it's about the experience and fun.

I never look back and say - well this game was not that great - but it was $5 so the value is great.

For me a great gaming experience is priceless - when something is truly great and extraordinary - I never look at the "value" - I just revel in the experience.

This is why comparing video games to "movies" is really strange to me (this comes up often in posts) - I've seen movies that have had a deep profound impact on my life - the cost of the ticket is meaningless considering how meaningful the experience was.

So the most impactful amazing movie may have been a couple of hours of my life and cost $20 - but the experience was worth millions to me.

I am yet to have a video game experience that was life changing - so saying well I got 100 hours of this for $20 bucks - to me it's about - the quality of those 100 hours that is far more important - and often in 100 hours i find that only about maybe 10-20 were actually super great, the others were so so, and 30 was probably sort of mundane.

When someone says I played this for 10,000 hours - how many of those hours were like "peak/awesome type of experience"? I doubt it's more than a couple of dozen.

So the whole value/hour of video gaming is just a poor metric IMO

I agree with you as far as quality of product/impact vs. price (your movie example).

Looks like Valheim doesn't impress you from the outside, and would probably be a terrible disappointment if you bought it. I get that.

It sounds to me like you can't understand why people are getting a lot of gameplay for 20 bucks AND are having a great time. I'd never say spending $5 and having a crappy time was worth the $5...that would be silly. I'd highly rate this game based on its impact on me and the amount of fun I've had vs. the price.
    Slapshot1188
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158

samvenice said:

Good luck soloing the 3rd boss XD

Had a heck of a time aftwer we discovered his location as we both died right near a spawner =P

Ended up spending a good deal of the evening to recover everything. Finally had to give in and harvest and craft up full gear etc. to recover.

As Torval says..shortcuts are a trap.
    [Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    aivarioha said:

Check yourself before you wreck yourself. Literally.

lol

~~~~Record scratch

Yup, that's me...
    You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation...it all started two days ago...

[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

samvenice said:

Had a heck of a time aftwer we discovered his location as we both died right near a spawner =P

Ended up spending a good deal of the evening to recover everything. Finally had to give in and harvest and craft up full gear etc. to recover.

Our version was in the middle of a deep swamp with just a small island or two that you could stand in kneedeep water.  The rest were deep enough to force swimming so you could  not attack.    It was crazy hard.  I just logged in an went there to grab this screen.

[Deleted User]Asheram

remsleep said:

Still don't understand the difference between 

1. Unsupported player made mods that devs don't recognize 

2. Dev supported tools to make mods for the game

Valheim falls under #1 - devs do not support nor recognize player made mods - game updates will break these mods since the game has no official mod tools 
    Mod support should not be a top priority for small indie companies.  Now it's nice when they do it, but that means cutting corners elsewhere which generally just doesn't make sense.  They should simply design the game with mods in mind, but not bother with implementing and testing them right away.
    [Deleted User]
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited February 2021

samvenice said:

Our version was in the middle of a deep swamp with just a small island or two that you could stand in kneedeep water.  The rest were deep enough to force swimming so you could  not attack.    It was crazy hard.  I just logged in an went there to grab this screen.

lol its awesome that you guys proceeded rather than pack up boat look for another rune stone that opened up a different alter location, I believer their are 5 or more.
    Did you guy win?

• hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    play with friend! it's a good game!
    -but i've no friends...
    - go play fortnite! and let the viking here do the stuff!
    Scot[Deleted User]
    Asheram said:

samvenice said:

lol its awesome that you guys proceeded rather than pack up boat look for another rune stone that opened up a different alter location, I believer their are 5 or more.
    Did you guy win?

Is that an option?   We just assumed that there was just 1 summon location per boss.

And yes we eventually won.  Many, many deaths later.   

It's amazing how much fun you can have dying and working things out as opposed to watching cheat videos.

Stizzled said:
    Asheram said:

samvenice said:

Did you guy win?

Is that an option?   We just assumed that there was just 1 summon location per boss.

And yes we eventually won.  Many, many deaths later.   

It's amazing how much fun you can have dying and working things out as opposed to watching cheat videos.

Yep, there are multiple arenas for each boss, not sure how many though.
    Interesting.  We are searching for the last boss location now and have yet to come across duplicates for any prior ones.  All the tablets we found always pointed to the same location.

Glad I didn’t know that earlier or we would have been tempted to just go look for another and would have missed out on an epic adventure.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Hey the game takes up one gig space ..so little space. Was thinking of installing it.
    [Deleted User]

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    TheAmir said:
    I refunded :) that's what I think of it.
    Hey... you are the 4%.  Nothing wrong with that.  People think I'm crazy because I can't stand even the smell of coffee.  I'm probably the 1% there... I think all the coffee people are nuts.

That’s it!

Now you’ve gone over the line ;) 

For the record, I think the game is awesome. I love virtual worlds and this game does an awesome job at that. Can the AI be improved, does it need more work? Absolutely. I love what I believe they are trying to achieve with the AI. 
    Good AI isn’t just about giving good challenge, it’s also about being able to entertain and add to ones immersion.

That’s something that Valheim does very well for me. Immersion.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SomeNutzGuySomeNutzGuy Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    How to install Mods on Valheim: