Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion: Launch Hype - Looking At Consumers And Developers Alike | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageOpinion: Launch Hype - Looking At Consumers And Developers Alike | MMORPG.com

Mitch explores launch hype, especially as it pertains to himself and other consumers of games, and the role played by consumers in mitigating hype in the long run.

Read the full story here

GdemamiIselin

Comments

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    edited February 2021
    I agree. It's especially distressing when consumers defend these shitty business practices and accept it as the "norm". They're fed shit, given a broken product that they paid money for and then turn right around and shout at anyone else who isn't willing to accept the same thing. It's embarrassing and the developers love it.

That company doesn't give a shit about their loyalty or how they've been "buying and playing their games from the beginning". They don't know your name. They don't care about you. Shut up and buy their game and give them your money. That's all they care about and that's all you are to them. Dollar bills. So I do legitimately feel bad for those folks who intertwine their self-identities with these franchises, or development studios, or even just games in general to such a degree that they can't accept criticism of the things they love or are happily content to let these guys get away with shit like this over and over again.

It's just like with CoE, it could be a case study probably. Red flag after red flag, it just wasn't enough for some of these people who bought in. They were willing to gobble up whatever bullshit was being fed to them, and they did it for years. Then they acted surprised, cried, and are now trying to sue. I honestly hope that the lawsuit fails in that particular instance. They should be forced to face up to their mistakes and to eat the loss. Kickstarter isn't a guarantee of a game to begin with, it's certainly not a guarantee when you get into a bed with an indie development studio with a plan and concept as unrealistic and bullshit as theirs was.
    GdemamiKyleranMcSleaz
    I like to complain about games.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    "We" ate up all of the hype? Who is this "we" to whom you refer? I certainly didn't. I want more polished games that are actually ready for launch.

You can tell what people actually want by where they spend their money. If they say they want X and not Y, but will pay for Y but not X, then they actually want Y and not X. Vote with your wallet, not with forum whining.

So long as there are a lot of people who want lots of hype and rushed launches, that's what a lot of developers will deliver. If people stopped throwing lots of money at developers who did that, they'd stop doing it. Similarly with kickstarters, other crowdfunding, early access, and so forth.
    MendelScotTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]RidrithMcSleaz
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited February 2021
    "You might suggest this proves the developers will never learn their lesson. I say they know exactly what they’re doing and it’s us, the consumers, that haven’t learned a thing. We continue to buy pre-orders, freely giving our money away before we even know when a game will actually release. We cry at the top of our lungs when the game doesn’t live up to the promises the PR team fed us, then applaud a year later when a game is finally patched to a state that is close to what we originally paid for."

So far the industry has got away with it and one of the main reasons for that is people forget. But each time a new big name title goes really bad, people remember that; if any change occurs it will be because there are so many big name titles that go south in the space of a few years that people can't help but notice it. That's when a change may occur, they will realise it does not matter how good your game was before, how good your cash shop was before, how good your add on multiplayer was before.

But the ever increasing hype on social media, indeed on here means that may never happen, the latest big buzz game here was EA, with the media fully tied in I doubt players will wise up soon.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Quizzical said:

"We" ate up all of the hype? Who is this "we" to whom you refer? I certainly didn't. I want more polished games that are actually ready for launch.

You can tell what people actually want by where they spend their money. If they say they want X and not Y, but will pay for Y but not X, then they actually want Y and not X. Vote with your wallet, not with forum whining.

So long as there are a lot of people who want lots of hype and rushed launches, that's what a lot of developers will deliver. If people stopped throwing lots of money at developers who did that, they'd stop doing it. Similarly with kickstarters, other crowdfunding, early access, and so forth.

So what you are saying is...there's plenty of really stupid gamers out there who buy and play shit games.

Certainly not news to me.

elgenkabol[Deleted User]ScotGdemamiTheocritusKidRiskMcSleaz

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• elgenkabolelgenkabol Member UncommonPosts: 42
    The biggest problem i have with preorders is that those that pay for it don't go into the beta's to test out bugs or make the game play better. They do it so they have a edge when the game is released. So you either do it yourself if your competitive or get left behind at release. 
    ScotGdemami
  • hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    The buck ultimately stops with the consumer. Fans see a beloved IP coming to life, or a beloved studio making a game, and become swept up in marketing hype.

VTM: Bloodlines 2 is a prime example of this. A massive marketing campaign to tug on the fandom's heartstrings and to push preorders, then delays, then more delays, then radio silence. The CEO of the studios told investors that the game will most likely come out in late 2021, but hey, that's the biz. Meanwhile, fans have heard nothing for 6 months.

Until consumers seriously punish a dev for this type of behavior, it will never end (hell, its some studio's business model).
    ScotMcSleaz
  • GreenSage39GreenSage39 Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Millenials now knee-jerk everything into a chargeback. I promise you. The 3 credit bureaus keep special files on you and it's forever recorded. I know it's sort of off topic but that needs to be factored in. The fact these dolts expect a perfect product or they'll do a chargeback and then cry and complain on social media no is accepting them for credit.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Quizzical said:

You get what you pay for.  Or if you prefer, you get the behavior that you reward.

The article seems to neglect the media's contribution to hype.  The constant posting of press releases under the guise of news doesn't help; it's mostly a form of advertisement, given freely.  That isn't journalism, please don't try to pass that off as such.  We may play games, but we're smarter than that.

Anyway, at some point all this "coverage" becomes a form of 'enabling' bad behavior, doesn't it?

ScotIselinGdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited February 2021
    + 20 upvotes for using ET as your lead example of rushing to meet the almighty Christmas consumer window. I remember the crazy hype surrounding that game back in the early '80s.

I wasn't caught up in that hype, but not because I was wary of pre-Christmas releases on general principle as I am now. I was wary alright, but it was because even back then I didn't trust games based on the hot movie IP du jour so that made me the oddball amongst adult gamers I knew at the time (at a time when "adult" and "gamer" was a rare admission - a lot were still in the closet back then about following a hobby "for kids") who were gaga in anticipation and equally outraged with the let down.

When CP2077 was about to launch I saw first hand a preview of what was about to happen on reddit. It happened when that last 3 week delay was announced.

The official CP2077 subreddit for weeks leading up to the delay announcement was a downright idyllic little forum full of mostly fan art, cosplay with even crappy submission getting 1000 upvotes just because of the "it's almost here" general good vibe people there were all wrapped up in.

And then it happened: a 3 week delay was announced and the subreddit turned on a dime and went from happy little sub to a toxic CP2077's delay ruined my life kind of place. Of course that was just a taste of how bad it got after actual release to the point that new subreddits were created (such as lowsodium cyberpunk lol) to talk about actually playing the game and helping other players with game play related questions because no one in the official, formerly goofy happy, subreddit wanted to talk about that any longer.

Watching that sub as a lurker was like having a ringside seat at "consumer hype unmet are us."

Anyhow... @Splattr,

It wouldn't be a post from me about hype if I didn't mention the gaming media's part in helping create and fuel that hype. And no I'm not talking about the 11th hour hype created by the ultra controlled CDPR early review process. I can give you a bit of a pass for what you did there under competitive duress. I'm talking about months and years of contributing to it by passing along whatever CDPR's PR department chose to dole out to you which you passed on to us barely touched by editorial hands.

You were and are part of this problem too.
    FTrunks21GdemamiMendel
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED