Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They Are Coming Out this Year!

13»

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 9,193
    ESO has 30'000+ players playing consecutively on a couple of servers. Games like WoW have 10-25k players per sever. Playing these games, you can get lost and not see players everywhere you go there is so much space. 
    TwistedSister77AlBQuirkyJean-Luc_PicardILLISET
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member RarePosts: 557
    Nanfoodle said:
    ESO has 30'000+ players playing consecutively on a couple of servers. Games like WoW have 10-25k players per sever. Playing these games, you can get lost and not see players everywhere you go there is so much space. 
    ESO you can go just about anywhere and there are players.  That game makes me feel like I'm in a truly massively populated MMORPG.
    Kyleranfrancis_baudAlBQuirkyJean-Luc_Picard
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,219
    Nanfoodle said:
    ESO you can go just about anywhere and there are players.  That game makes me feel like I'm in a truly massively populated MMORPG.
    Err, does either ESO or WOW confirm the actual number of players per "server?"

I seem to recall them reporting them as low, med, high or something like that.

You might be playing with 30K...or 3K..

Who can really say?

francis_baudAlBQuirky

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,853
    Kyleran said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Err, does either ESO or WOW confirm the actual number of players per "server?"

I seem to recall them reporting them as low, med, high or something like that.

You might be playing with 30K...or 3K..

Who can really say?

Not to take away from your point because it's a good question, but for me personally if 250+ people can concurrently be in the same adventure zone or world it's an MMORPG. I could probably slide by with as little as 150+ simultaneously in a zone/world, but less than that it isn't an MMORPG to me.

Having thousands on the entire server is good, but honestly too many in a single place is just too much. Most game systems break down when 50 or more people are trying to do something at the same time, let alone 200 or 2000. I get the concept of massive concurrency but just because people are in the same place doesn't translate to constructive game play.

I shudder to think of a FO76 map with 100 or even 50 people on it at once. The Queen would always go down in seconds. Westek would be forever empty. And Radiation Rumble..... *shudder*.
    KylerantzervoAlBQuirkyGdemamiILLISET
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 330
    Single shard MMOs, that will supposedly bring "millions" of players in the same universe, are something I'm really looking for. I'm pretty sure they'll end up putting some restrictions at some point to prevent thousands of players from flocking in a single area of the game.
    AlBQuirky
  • remsleepremsleep Member EpicPosts: 1,955
    Most likely outcome - both will be underwhelming 
    NanfoodleAlBQuirky
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member RarePosts: 1,501
    Nanfoodle said:

Scaling makes that possible. Without, the majority of players would be crammed into whatever area was the current end game one, like in most MMORPGs.
    AlBQuirkyTwistedSister77
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,534
    edited February 22
    Nanfoodle said:

Scaling makes that possible. Without, the majority of players would be crammed into whatever area was the current end game one, like in most MMORPGs.
    That's another reason for scaling to be better, I was sold when I found out how easy it made groups of any "level" to form. 
    KyleranAlBQuirky

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• Cls78612Cls78612 Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    I don’t plan on playing either New world or crowfall either.... I did check them out along many other MMORPGs. The only ones that interest me so far are Albion online which i’m Currently playing now....it’s a tough game to solo by yourself after tier 5 or all the time after picking a faction to join cause it’s mainly PvP & can lose all your gears,items,mounts in red & black zones. Guilds are a must. The other game is Ember Sword...it’s kinda like Albion online but in their own ways. Other than that it’s like every year with so much hype & get disappointed in the end...
    KyleranAlBQuirkyYashaX
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,191
    lot of you people disappoint yourselves by overhyping some of these new MMOs. I hope you all come into them with rational thinking.
    AlBQuirkytzervo

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,534
    lot of you people disappoint yourselves by overhyping some of these new MMOs. I hope you all come into them with rational thinking.
    Well I hoped this thread would at least tease out some of hype, as someone who does not join a game until it has launched I think that's the best way to avoid the hype.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 330
    Star Citizen hype has been going for a decade now, and it doesn't seem to disappoint its backers.  :p
    AlBQuirkyScot
  • ILLISETILLISET Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Star Citizen hype has been going for a decade now, and it doesn't seem to disappoint its backers.  :p
    You're funny.  Not many people who were backers 1p years ago are backers today unless they spent thousands on ships and don't want to admit they potentially wasted their money. 
    francis_baudAlBQuirky
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member RarePosts: 557
    Scot said:
    Well I hoped this thread would at least tease out some of hype, as someone who does not join a game until it has launched I think that's the best way to avoid the hype.
    For Crowfall, this thread has illuminated their smaller scale island campaigns... if true... definitely worth researching more as it gets close to launch and when live.  A 150 player campaign pvp shard does not float my boat.

NW - pivoting fast to traditional theme park, but not very excited about a few 5 man instance dungeons and a single instanced 20 man pvp battleground.  Still a pve lite and pvp lite game.
    AlBQuirky