Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valheim Nears 500,000 Concurrent Players | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageValheim Nears 500,000 Concurrent Players | MMORPG.com

Valheim continues its charge as it nears 500,000 concurrent players on Steam this weekend.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056

aivarioha said:

it is a terrible game, there is no one world when you could come an play. You need to have a group of people to play it.

Terrible game that is setting records for concurrent players and purchases lol. No sir....it's you.

And I have been playing solo since it released and enjoying it just fine. I can imagine it is a different experience with friends but you do not "need" a group.

The game is not for you, get over it. Doesn't make it terrible.
    GlacianNexBrainyNecromaaivarioha[Deleted User]Groqstrong[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh[Deleted User]Asheram
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    edited February 2021
    Is this a game for solo though? "Concurrent", would like to see figures for group play and maybe this sort of game will help players realise grouped most of the time is viable in a MMO. Even in MMORPG's if the gameplay is done right. It really takes the survival sea biscuit when I find myself hoping the survival genre gets MMORPG players back into grouping! :)
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Scot said:
    Is this a game for solo though? "Concurrent", would like to see figures for group play and maybe this sort of game will help players realise grouped most of the time is viable in a MMO. Even in MMORPG's if the gameplay is done right. It really takes the survival sea biscuit when I find myself hoping the survival genre gets MMORPG players back into grouping! :)

I group in each MMO I play. Which ones are you playing that don't have group content?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    edited February 2021
    Utinni said:
    Scot said:

I group in each MMO I play. Which ones are you playing that don't have group content?
    The design is for solo in nearly every MMO out there, you can of course group if you want to. I assume you are not talking about group levelling as levelling content is solo content, but of course you can group in a game designed for soloing if you want.
  • NicoleCNicoleC Member UncommonPosts: 29

Scot said:

Is this a game for solo though? "Concurrent", would like to see figures for group play and maybe this sort of game will help players realise grouped most of the time is viable in a MMO.

You can play Valheim solo or grouped, with grouped being less tedious and (IMO) more fun. Even though difficultly goes up with more players in the area, solo is the hardest mode.
    Viper482Scot[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

it is a terrible game, there is no one world when you could come an play. You need to have a group of people to play it.

Terrible game that is setting records for concurrent players and purchases lol. No sir....it's you.

And I have been playing solo since it released and enjoying it just fine. I can imagine it is a different experience with friends but you do not "need" a group.

Something being popular don't make it quality.

#yikes

You not liking something doesn't make it terrible. Holy shit dude....you're actually debating this? I get it....you have self-esteem issues because everyone likes this game except you and you are diverting that back onto the game must be terrible. It's okay man, it's not for everyone, just everyone but you.
    aivarioha[Deleted User]Roin[Deleted User]TacticalZombehNaitakal

Scot said:

Yes, it is. It is a different experience than grouping, just slower really. Having to gather mats by yourself to build obviously takes a lot longer than when you have help.

But this is not anywhere near an MMO, I don't know why people are even using the term. It has co-op multiplayer up to 10 players, hardly "massive".
    ScotKidRisk[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited February 2021
    Were they only 3 guys developing this game prior to 2020??

October 1st 2019 : "In other news; Iron Gate has recruited its’ first employee! Please welcome artist Robin Eyre, who will be responsible for the visuals of Valheim going forward."

January 1st 2020 : "First important happening of 2019 was probably when Henrik Törnqvist joined me as my partner in crime."

January 1st 2020 : "The rest of the year we mostly spend working our asses of! Like 3 bearded vikings set on slaying The Elder!"

http://irongatestudio.se/news/
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    You know something is seriously wrong with the games industry when a couple of guys can make a game in a few of years with minimal staff and its one of the best games you ever played.

RemyVorenderTacticalZombeh
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

If we are to be perfectly honest, Fall Guys and Among Us were very popular a while back and then fell into obscurity. I think you are forgetting that the same thing could very well happen with Valheim. I have nothing against the game, I feel I should point that out, because people on the internet immediately assume you really hate something from the bottom of your heart unless you're:

a) praising it as the greatest creation in the Universe
    b) shut up and never say a thing

So, yeah the game is popular, it's definitely not bad, but the possibility of it losing popularity and falling into obscurity in a handful of months exists and I think nobody should exclude it.
    BrainyMcSleaz
  • linuxliferlinuxlifer Member UncommonPosts: 3

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

#yikes

You not liking something doesn't make it terrible. Holy shit dude....you're actually debating this? I get it....you have self-esteem issues because everyone likes this game except you and you are diverting that back onto the game must be terrible. It's okay man, it's not for everyone, just everyone but you.

This is actually hilarious.

First of all, this is a comment section to discuss video games. Seems like someone has forgotten that... And if that wasn't enough you mention self-esteem issues... Well all that would have been just an ironical cringe comment and not more... if you just wouldn't have finished your post making it even more personal with "everyone, but you"...

Check yourself before you wreck yourself. Literally.

Lol when someone literally says the game is not quality with no points to base their opinion off, they are clearly not here to discuss something.
    Viper482KidRiskNaitakal
    edited February 2021

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

#yikes

First of all, this is a comment section to discuss video games. Seems like someone has forgotten that... And if that wasn't enough you mention self-esteem issues... Well all that would have been just an ironical cringe comment and not more... if you just wouldn't have finished your post making it even more personal with "everyone, but you"...

Do you want a discussion or do you want to just come in here and talk shit then expect no one to reply?? Because that is not discussion dude. You didn't like the reply you got so you're crying about it lol. If you don't want anyone to tell you how irrational your opinion is and correct facts you got wrong.....don't post. You cherry-picked one thing out of my reply to respond to as if that won the debate for you or something rofl. Go away man, your whole argument here is stupid. "terrible game, need group".......lol.
    [Deleted User]
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

If we are to be perfectly honest, Fall Guys and Among Us were very popular a while back and then fell into obscurity. I think you are forgetting that the same thing could very well happen with Valheim. I have nothing against the game, I feel I should point that out, because people on the internet immediately assume you really hate something from the bottom of your heart unless you're:

a) praising it as the greatest creation in the Universe
    b) shut up and never say a thing

So, yeah the game is popular, it's definitely not bad, but the possibility of it losing popularity and falling into obscurity in a handful of months exists and I think nobody should exclude it.
    When all is said and done I will have had 100+ hours of fun with my friends in Valheim for a cost of $20.

If they never add content and I never load it up again it still ranks as one of the best gaming values I have had in a very long time.

[Deleted User]francis_baud[Deleted User][Deleted User]Viper482RemyVorenderGroqstrongsschruppKidRiskTacticalZombeh

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

remsleep said:
    When all is said and done I will have had 100+ hours of fun with my friends in Valheim for a cost of $20.

If they never add content and I never load it up again it still ranks as one of the best gaming values I have had in a very long time.

"value" is often brought up and I honestly think it misses the point.

The only one missing the point here is you.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Good luck soloing the 3rd boss XD
    [Deleted User]
    edited February 2021

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

#yikes

Do you want a discussion or do you want to just come in here and talk shit then expect no one to reply?? Because that is not discussion dude. You didn't like the reply you got so you're crying about it lol. If you don't want anyone to tell you how irrational your opinion is and correct facts you got wrong.....don't post.

You cherry-picked one thing out of my reply to respond to as if that won the debate for you or something rofl. Go away man, your whole argument here is stupid. "terrible game, need group".......lol.

My reply just randomly disappeared, so I will make this short and simple. (uncommentable)

So that automatically means you're crying because I am crying. Which then makes you look like the biggest hypocrite because I did not ask for your opinion about my opinion, nor initiated any direct conversations with anyone let alone you.

Now whether agree, disagree, it's right or wrong. That is a totally different conversation which, BY THE WAY, you did not care to start in a civil manner. You chose to be a whiny c*unt about it, which then you pointing fingers at anyone here makes you look like the biggest hypocrite lol.

You want to stoop to this name-calling crap bro.....I'm done. Ignoring you and your ridiculous posts.

When you post your opinion that is an open invitation for anyone to discuss said opinion. I suggest you just stop posting if you cannot handle it. 
    aivarioha
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    edited February 2021

aivarioha said:

I play as solo just fine. My daughter and I also play on a LAN connection together sometimes. It's a very enjoyable experience for me.
    Post edited by RemyVorender on
    [Deleted User]BrainyKidRisk

Joined - July 2004

remsleep said:
    remsleep said:

"value" is often brought up and I honestly think it misses the point.

The only one missing the point here is you.

What point was missed? Please elaborate 
    No I won't.  WE all get it... you do not.

I even offered to buy you a copy of the game so you could demonstrate all the stuff you 3rd person Remsplain to us.  As though your watching a video invalidates 3 million people having a 96% positive experience for.   Naturally your response was NO.  When I say I will have had 100+ hours of fun, I mean just that.  Not that I will have had 3 hours of fun.  You don't believe that, or the 96% of people that say the game is great, well, that's on you.  Everyone can have an opinion but I'll take the opinions of people who actually experienced something over a person who 3rd person Remplains it away.

Cecropia

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Questions:
    you can play on someones server with maximum of 10 players ? Right so no mmog possibility's ?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If anyone tries to claim the game is simply not for me,you need to give your head a shake.I love survival games,this game is simply CRAP at everything it does.

I have watched way more than i cared to have watched but i have yet to see anything done as well as in Atlas/Ark and in most cases very sub par design.
    I should repeat,i LOVE survival games and am searching the net every day or two in hoeps of finding a new one worth playing.This game is NOT worth playing,not even for free and because i stated it does nothing well and definitely is not trying to do enough in taming/building/boating/mounts/bosses/world it all looks like some game made 15+ years ago.
    zigalucard

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited February 2021
    remsleep said:

I even offered to buy you a copy of the game so you could demonstrate all the stuff you 3rd person Remsplain to us.  As though your watching a video invalidates 3 million people having a 96% positive experience for.   Naturally your response was NO.  When I say I will have had 100+ hours of fun, I mean just that.  Not that I will have had 3 hours of fun.  You don't believe that, or the 96% of people that say the game is great, well, that's on you.  Everyone can have an opinion but I'll take the opinions of people who actually experienced something over a person who 3rd person Remplains it away.

I believe that you've had 100 hours of fun - I am just questioning that not all 100 hours were exactly the same "level of fun".

that was my point.

When people say well $20 = 100 hours - great value - I am questioning how much of those 100 hours were "peak fun" and how many were "sort of fun" 

Because not all 100 were equally mind blowing fun - that I can guarantee you is not factual for any person.

Even the games I most loved and have put over 1000 hours into - I can tell you that not all of those hours were equally fun  - maybe 20 out of 1000 were crazy super fun, but most were just sort of "average/ok fun"

Also please abstain from stooping down to dumb "nickname calling" - it doesn't suit you.
    No.  IMHO "dumb" is trying to tell people that you are going to dissect the "level of fun" they are having in the game you never tried.  Because of some concept you developed around "peak fun" and "average/OK fun". 

Actual Players: Man I had 5 hours of mindblowing sex last night!  It was amazing!
    You: Well only 10 seconds of that was "peak fun" so I think you are overstating the amount of fun you had.

Please just stop.  
    KidRisk

• DafAtRandomDafAtRandom Member UncommonPosts: 124
    remsleep said:
    There are no mods for Valheim - you've read it here first from our expert of this game, @remsleep...

Is getting really embarrassing now.

Embarrassing for you maybe - you said mentioned Minecraft's creative mode - which Valheim doesn't even have

official page says it doesn't have it:

https://www.valheimgame.com/faq

you dont' understand the difference between 3rd party non-supported player created mods - and games that officially are made to have mod support and mod tools (like Minecraft) - lol, again how embarrassing ;)

Valheim doesn't have mod support and devs have repeatedly said they will not have tools nor any mod support.

So every time they patch - all the 3rd party unsupported mods will break - have fun with that.

:D

Probably should take on Slap's offer.  The good news, is that it's on Steam, so you can get the refund within 2 hours of playing the game, meaning you (or anyone else) is NOT giving an EA title money, and 2 hours should be more than plenty of time for you to demonstrate the superiority you like to imply in every thread imaginable on the subject.
    Also on the good news front, I'm sure Slap has what it takes to record/stream the whole thing, so we can all finally bow to how much greater you are than all of us when you do prove said superiority.

Then the refund can be issued, and the video can go up, and you can be forever known for being incredible.  Not that it has ever stopped you from implying it, but now for once in your life, there would be actual tangible proof.

Unless, of course, you are what we all know that you are...
    [Deleted User]
    remsleep said:
    remsleep said:

I believe that you've had 100 hours of fun - I am just questioning that not all 100 hours were exactly the same "level of fun".

that was my point.

When people say well $20 = 100 hours - great value - I am questioning how much of those 100 hours were "peak fun" and how many were "sort of fun" 

Because not all 100 were equally mind blowing fun - that I can guarantee you is not factual for any person.

Even the games I most loved and have put over 1000 hours into - I can tell you that not all of those hours were equally fun  - maybe 20 out of 1000 were crazy super fun, but most were just sort of "average/ok fun"

Also please abstain from stooping down to dumb "nickname calling" - it doesn't suit you.
    No.  IMHO "dumb" is trying to tell people that you are going to dissect the "level of fun" they are having in the game you never tried.  Because of some concept you developed around "peak fun" and "average/OK fun". 

Actual Players: Man I had 5 hours of mindblowing sex last night!  It was amazing!
    You: Well only 10 seconds of that was "peak fun" so I think you are overstating the amount of fun you had.

Please just stop.  

So when someone presents an idea or concept that differs from your own - you just tell them to just stop.

Ok.

I guess the only way to have discussions is if we all just agree on everything and don't have any differing opinions.

Nope.  If you had PLAYED the game then you would be making an informed opinion/statement.  Which I might or might not agree with.

What you have been doing with this game is making 3rd hand statements as though they have any weight when weighed against people with 1st hand experience.

Did you see me tell anyone else in any Valheim thread, who actually played the game and didn't like it... that they were wrong?   

Don't confuse that with what you have been doing.   You are literally, as in actually literally doing it... claiming that when I say I'll have had 100 hours of fun in this game, that I am playing... it's not legitimate because if I put in 1000 hours only "20 out of 1000 were crazy/super fun".  You literally said that.  Without ever playing the game.  In some lame ass attempt to devalue my claim to have had 100 hours of fun.  And again, lest we forget... you not only have never played the game to see for yourself, but you turned down my offer of a free account to experience it yourself instead of relying on cherrypicked Youtube videos.

So yeah, everyone can have an opinion, but some are much more credible than others.

[Deleted User]KidRisk

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    remsleep said:

that was my point.

Bottom line - when players talk about money/time spent - they treat all time spent in game as equally fun - which is simply not true.

And like I've said so many times before - I don't play any early access games period - so that was always going to be a no for me, which is no surprise.
    Then why? Why are you trying to explain a game you don't own or play to people who actually do own and play the game? You do realise that most of us here know tons more about it then you do? You pass around second hand knowledge based on exploits, cheap 'for clicks' video's and other minority voices, something you would have known if you actually had experience with the game. But you don't. 

I don't get it, we should be telling you how it works and how good (or bad) it is, not the other way around. Especially not by cherry picking garbage video's that in no way properly represent the game. Something which you, once again, could have known if you actually played the damn thing.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

[Deleted User]Brainy
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer