Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall's Release Is 'Very Close,' According To New Developer Interview | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageCrowfall's Release Is 'Very Close,' According To New Developer Interview | MMORPG.com

In an interview with MassivelyOP, Crowfall's Creative Director J. Todd Coleman stated that the beta MMO is "very close" to launch this year, stating that the team has transitioned mostly from adding new things to the MMO to bug fixes and polish.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    I am going to guess summer, this summer that is. ;)
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Woot.  Looking forward to it.  I've been in this position before.  If it comes soon or next year is fine..disappointing... But fine.  These are complicated things and things happen.  The key is moderate your enthusiasm with realism.  I follow developments, but they are all on the "back burner" so to speak until release.
    [Deleted User]

I self identify as a monkey.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Closer than amazon games anyway. And that space money milking disaster that should never be named.
    francis_baudScot

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Random but do all the characters still have a single costume design or outfitting with weapons/armor adjust the look?

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    After playing throughout all of the Beta's, if they are saying they aren't adding anything new for launch then I am concerned that there is much "there there". The game does not provide an addicting and compelling game loop in my opinion, at least not for someone who is into maining a game. This will be more catered to casuals, but even then, not really addicting imo.
    YashaXLynxJSA
  • darren28darren28 Member UncommonPosts: 60

Blackboa said:

After playing throughout all of the Beta's, if they are saying they aren't adding anything new for launch then I am concerned that there is much "there there". The game does not provide an addicting and compelling game loop in my opinion, at least not for someone who is into maining a game. This will be more catered to casuals, but even then, not really addicting imo.

Wait so because you think the game can't create addicts that is a bad thing?
    BruceYeefrancis_baud
    My free 7 day sub referral with other goodies http://www.swtor.com/r/vGSnnl
    Amazon has a much better deal for Sub price just search for this on Amazon
    Star Wars: The Old Republic Premium Pack

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited February 2021
    A Kickstarter MMORPG very close to launch? That's rarely seen!

I love the Crowpedia addition (very useful to build our characters), how they implemented the 3rd part of the tutorial in the Infected (Faction vs. Faction) and the lobby revamp that shows all the worlds players can join in Crowfall, a lot more explicit.

I wish they would put some post-processing effects into the game so the world could shine a little more (I'm aware it impacts on the performances but it can always be turned off before PvP).
    [Deleted User]
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I am ready.
    francis_baud
  • TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 320

This looks so much better.
    francis_baud[Deleted User]KyleranYashaXlahnmirTacticalZombeh
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    We shall see.   Been popping in since the earliest "Hunger Games" tests but so far just have not been hooked.   Have not been able to get my crew to load it up in at least 5-6 months...  I'm sure once the final wipe is announced we will give it one more shot.  Hoping something clicks.

francis_baud[Deleted User][Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

This looks so much better.
    Wow that is a big change, I might hope back in again and check it out.
    Greatness said:
    Random but do all the characters still have a single costume design or outfitting with weapons/armor adjust the look?
    There's this video that shows many armors used by different races. Not sure if that's what you're asking.

[Deleted User]Greatness
  • BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    darren28 said:

Blackboa said:

Every game needs some level of addiction in order for a player to want to explore what the game has to offer.  There is nothing in my estimation that makes crowfall "sticky".  The progression system isn't addicting, the PvP is extremely buggy and clunky, and there just isn't enough there to make keep a PvE crowd interested.  In all boxes, this game feels like it could have taken 1 year to make instead of the 5 or more years it has been in development.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited February 2021
    tzervo said:
    Spiider said:
    Closer than amazon games anyway. And that space money milking disaster that should never be named.
    Star Citizen.
    Star Citizen.
    Star Citizen.
    Noes! You said that name three times, so now the White Knight and the 'One with the Unicorns' will appear. :)
    [Deleted User]KyleranYashaX
    Blackboa said:
    darren28 said:

Blackboa said:

Every game needs some level of addiction in order for a player to want to explore what the game has to offer.  There is nothing in my estimation that makes crowfall "sticky".  The progression system isn't addicting, the PvP is extremely buggy and clunky, and there just isn't enough there to make keep a PvE crowd interested.  In all boxes, this game feels like it could have taken 1 year to make instead of the 5 or more years it has been in development.
    Have you tried the PvP again recently? The latest patch had about 400 fixes / improvements to it, a number of them related to combat.

I agree with you that there could be more things to keep PvE crowd interested. Do you have ideas regarding this?
    YashaX
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I wanted to ask something about this game. I want to try it but I am concerned that I might get scolded for being horrible at PvP.  I have gotten scolded in League of Legends and also in WoW Bgs.

I cannot play that very agile and effective fighter that can take on another class in a 1x1 fight. I like to stay at the back and support my team mates. Will I be able to play this even if I am horrible at PvP. Will I be forced out of the match by others for being less than good at the game? Is there room for a payer who does not PvP well. 

I want to participate but not as a fighter in the front lines I like to may be buff and heal and support my fellow players and I was wondering if such a role is viable or must every player be able to fend off attacks on them.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2021
    Several things run through my head when i think of this KS'r that pretty much shares the same ordeal as other KS'rs.

So they ask for 800k,NO WAY can you build a game with that,so then WHY would anyone fund an 800k project?

So then i see websites that sound sketchy....sponsored,setup using terms like "HIGHLY ANTICIPATED"oh yes a game not yet even started is highly anticipated,says who?

So then one of my biggest peeeves and i have stated theis many times about other CF games like even SC is the possibility of these studios just getting investors.So this game last year did just that,achieved 11.7 million from investors.

So WHY is this a problem,at least a problem with me and SHOULD be with others?Well you see they were quick to take YOUR money and offer you nothing in return but investors give them money and gain a % of the profits.Obviously i am ok with the % but that is EXACTLY how the crowd funders should operate,anyone who gives money should be treated as a share holder.

Ok so there is more to it and i would HOPE most have the intelligence to figure it out.These KS'r games will NEVER do that  and it is because they will likely ALWAYS have investors and are just using gamers as SUCKERS to get some free money to pay the payroll for 2-3+ months.Even still the point is they treat YOU the people giving them money as MUCH lesser than the investors,they are USING YOU but they obviously can't do that to investors.
    Zeneren

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    When I think about this game the first things that pop into my mind are <guild required> and <guild versus guild PvP>......and then I stop thinking about this game.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    kitarad said:
    I wanted to ask something about this game. I want to try it but I am concerned that I might get scolded for being horrible at PvP.  I have gotten scolded in League of Legends and also in WoW Bgs.

I cannot play that very agile and effective fighter that can take on another class in a 1x1 fight. I like to stay at the back and support my team mates. Will I be able to play this even if I am horrible at PvP. Will I be forced out of the match by others for being less than good at the game? Is there room for a payer who does not PvP well. 

I want to participate but not as a fighter in the front lines I like to may be buff and heal and support my fellow players and I was wondering if such a role is viable or must every player be able to fend off attacks on them.
    Don't play with randos, join a good guild or group of friends and you'll be fine, normally how I enjoy PVP games which I also don't excel at.

ScotYashaX[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

Don't play with randos, join a good guild or group of friends and you'll be fine, normally how I enjoy PVP games which I also don't excel at.

Get Gud.
    Kyleran

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

Get Gud.
    BTW that was a joke for those playing along at home.   On a scale of 1-10 my PvP skills are a 2.5.  I can beat AFK people.  Somehow I still have a ton of fun in PvP games.
    LynxJSAfrancis_baud

edited February 2021
    Wizardry said:
    So they ask for 800k,NO WAY can you build a game with that,so then WHY would anyone fund an 800k project?
    They've stated that 800K was just the money they needed from the backers, not the total budget for the game. The founders put money in the project at first, then external investment (equity) plus license deals. The budget is now over $38M.

Wizardry said:

So then i see websites that sound sketchy....sponsored,setup using terms like "HIGHLY ANTICIPATED"oh yes a game not yet even started is highly anticipated,says who?
    Crowfall was picked as one of the most anticipated MMOs on a few MMORPG news websites.
    (not exhaustive)

Wizardry said:
    So then one of my biggest peeeves and i have stated theis many times about other CF games like even SC is the possibility of these studios just getting investors.So this game last year did just that,achieved 11.7 million from investors.

So WHY is this a problem,at least a problem with me and SHOULD be with others?Well you see they were quick to take YOUR money and offer you nothing in return but investors give them money and gain a % of the profits.Obviously i am ok with the % but that is EXACTLY how the crowd funders should operate,anyone who gives money should be treated as a share holder.
    It's not "nothing in return", it's a bundle of rewards that was given in exchange of the money pledged. For example, for a $250 package, the reward was : $840 worth of VIP membership, Collector's Edition ($200), parcels ($75), access to Alpha, plus 15 other rewards.

Wizardry said:

Ok so there is more to it and i would HOPE most have the intelligence to figure it out.These KS'r games will NEVER do that  and it is because they will likely ALWAYS have investors and are just using gamers as SUCKERS to get some free money to pay the payroll for 2-3+ months.Even still the point is they treat YOU the people giving them money as MUCH lesser than the investors,they are USING YOU but they obviously can't do that to investors.

That's how pretty much all crowdfunding campaigns work : money pledged in exchange of promises of rewards. In the case of ACE, they are actually fulfilling most of their promises and have been actively giving the rewards to the backers.

Post edited by francis_baud on
    Kyleransschrupp
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

darren28 said:

Blackboa said:

Since "addiction" is a word that derails conversation, we probably should move away from that.

His point is correct. The current hodgepodge of activities in Crowfall has no "hook" to it. It doesn't have anything that really engages the player, only ridiculously grindy tasks and busywork.

The PVP does not seem compelling for many of the PVPers and the crafting/building content seems like it was designed to rival the release version of EVE Online's Planetary Interaction.

Crowfall seems less cohesive and less focused than it did 6 or so months ago. I have no idea what this game wants to be right now, I just know it isn't what they sold us on when they were doing the crowdfunding.

And then there is the Eternal Kingdoms, which is a whole other mess.

[Deleted User]
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

Get Gud.
    BTW that was a joke for those playing along at home.   On a scale of 1-10 my PvP skills are a 2.5.  I can beat AFK people.  Somehow I still have a ton of fun in PvP games.
    I knew we had something in common!
    edited February 2021
    LynxJSA said:

Since "addiction" is a word that derails conversation, we probably should move away from that.

His point is correct. The current hodgepodge of activities in Crowfall has no "hook" to it. It doesn't have anything that really engages the player, only ridiculously grindy tasks and busywork.

The PVP does not seem compelling for many of the PVPers and the crafting/building content seems like it was designed to rival the release version of EVE Online's Planetary Interaction.

Crowfall seems less cohesive and less focused than it did 6 or so months ago. I have no idea what this game wants to be right now, I just know it isn't what they sold us on when they were doing the crowdfunding.

And then there is the Eternal Kingdoms, which is a whole other mess.

I thought CF was one of the less grindy MMORPG out there, players getting to max level in a matter of a couple of hours. In comparison, many MMORPGs make players kill mobs and harvest resources repetitively for a long time before getting to end-game.

Many players and guilds have been playing Crowfall for years. They likely find engaging elements in the game (harvesting, hunting mobs, crafting, building, character advancement, PvP/GvG/FvF, sieges, socialization, etc.).

Basically what they sold us during the KS was a PvP MMO with strategy elements (campaigns that have a beginning and an end, sieges with structure destruction, territory conquest) + the Eternal Kingdoms (map creation, city building, social hubs). That's pretty much what we seem to have now. Surely there are things they could add like free city building in the Dregs, larger maps, more interconnected EKs, etc. but they can always implement that after launch.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran