Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon blew 2 Billion failing to make an MMO.. Soo. If you had 2 Billion, what would you make?

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited February 2021
    First thought is I'd love to build my idea for a full virtual reality exo-suit. That alone may take all 2 billion.

If I had money left over, I'd then build games for that VR setup.

If the exo-suit idea isn't possible, I'd build a sandpark MMORPG set in Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Sage universe.

It's high fantasy which i love, the world is massive with loads of different races and cultures, perfect for long term. Whilst there are two alpha heroes (Pug and Tomas), most of the other characters are just pretty normal, making it a good setting for an mmo. The time scales are also really long in the books (think 9 years pass in the first book alone) which makes it easier to fit in with the game: just pick a period in the books and stay there til an expansion.

Loads of ideas about the systems I'd want in the game, but not much point writing them all out, would take many pages!
    Riftwar is a setting begging to be realized, IMHO. The "rifts" traverse the universe(s) though uncountable worlds. This makes for endless content as each new world could realized :)

[edit]
    PS: Ungood, yes this is a massive series of books. I think there are easily 15-20 in the series covering so many characters and worlds :)
    [Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    laserit said:
    I’d like to make a game set on an Earth sized world. Imagine pasting 100’s or 1000’s of server zones/chunks together into a single world. Take the foundation of your favourite game and tack on a couple billion worth of content.
    I'd love a truly huge world. Much larger than anything seen so far. But that seems like overkill. lol

AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    AlBQuirky said:
    First thought is I'd love to build my idea for a full virtual reality exo-suit. That alone may take all 2 billion.

If the exo-suit idea isn't possible, I'd build a sandpark MMORPG set in Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Sage universe.

It's high fantasy which i love, the world is massive with loads of different races and cultures, perfect for long term. Whilst there are two alpha heroes (Pug and Tomas), most of the other characters are just pretty normal, making it a good setting for an mmo. The time scales are also really long in the books (think 9 years pass in the first book alone) which makes it easier to fit in with the game: just pick a period in the books and stay there til an expansion.

Loads of ideas about the systems I'd want in the game, but not much point writing them all out, would take many pages!
    Riftwar is a setting begging to be realized, IMHO. The "rifts" traverse the universe(s) though uncountable worlds. This makes for endless content as each new world could realized :)

[edit]
    PS: Ungood, yes this is a massive series of books. I think there are easily 15-20 in the series covering so many characters and worlds :)
    sounds like Boundless
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Shadowrun Online......

That's a world that I'd like to explore, and it oughta be different than anything else out there. (Of course that's probably my mistake, building a game that I want to play, instead of a game that would be commercially successful...)
    UngoodAlBQuirky
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    AlBQuirky said:

[edit]

Indeed, the Rifts and the Hall of Worlds opens up the possibility of travel to soooo many different worlds that the expansion possibilities are very numerous. Not to mention interaction with higher and lower planes of existence.

However, Feist's series of books suffered from the same fate as a lot of MMOs: too much vertical progression! (half joking)

"Escalation" is something I see as a big problem with long running series. Many writers seem to feel that if your heroes have conquered one bad guy, the next bad buy needs to be even bigger and badder.

That can work for a time, but for me personally, it always reaches a point where it is no longer relatable or believable. I would much rather the enemies stayed on a more consistent level, just using different methods so the heroes still have a hard time.

I think I've read nearly all of Feist's series set in Midkemia, but by the end it was a real struggle to get through it. You go from fighting invading armies from another world....but still all mortal and roughly equivalent..... to fighting armies from a lower plane of existence, near indistructable warrior demons, as well as fighting the mad god himself, sacrificing an entire planet in the process.

I have the same issues with what's happened with the Marvel films. I wasn't a big fan to begin with by really enjoyed the first 5 or so movies, they were somewhat relatable, but by the time I got to the end of the Avengers, I'd had enough, the escalation was too much for me and so i stopped caring.
    UngoodMendelAmarantharAlBQuirky
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Yes me too at some point I found it hard to get through his series and dropped them
    UngoodAmarantharAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Not a video game that's for sure........
    Ya, if I had that much money, I would stop working. Build a home with an in-law flat and play video games and look after my family. I would give Pantheon a cool mill for life time sub for me and my friends =-)
    AlBQuirky
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    With $2 billion, I think I would start by building a gaming 'think-tank'.  Their goal would be to break away from the framework started by D&D.  I'd work with a different model of the human body, no HPs/Levels, and determine how injuries occur/heal/impair the body's functions.  Then they would formulate systems of extra-normal abilities (magic) based on scientific models and natural learning.  Lastly, I'd worry about physics - fire, lightning, ballistics, gravity, vacuum, etc.

That would be the basis of how to represent a character within a game.

Then I'd have that team formulate ideas (and systems) about storytelling, progression, personality, role playing and how to make these elements important to he player experiencing these elements and the people around that player.  Role playing shouldn't be something that everyone does; it should be something that affects people in contact with the world.

I'd then start an AI team to develop improved AI schemes for everything from personal feelings about the world around the characters, interpersonal relationships between characters, natural creatures, eco-systems, to 'civilized' opponent creatures (NPCs).  I'd have them produce truly dynamic behavior (at these multiple levels) that are drive the stories occurring in the game.  Things like a Plot with an originator, resources, actors, level of visibility (got to have secret plots to oppose the government), and goals.

Then I'd have the AI work on more dynamic interactions, like diplomacy, knowledge, and litigation, where the idea was to present an idea (in-game) and supporting arguments to convince another entity to 'change their mind'.  I could see this as some kind of state-engine to end all state-engines.

Then I'd start the game development.  I personally like fantasy, but I could also be interested in a futuristic space exploration game.  There would have to be various organizations (built along the Plot idea above) to implement governments, guilds, factions, individual interests, etc and populate the world.  I would definitely want to start with multiple governments (at country/state/local levels) and several far off threats that players wouldn't encounter for some time.

Governments and in-game guilds would be set up as Organizations, with specific roles within each organization.  Each of these roles have certain meta-operations to initiate Plots or Tasks to do some work.  If a town wanted to build a new flower garden with a fence, it could issue a task with material costs, deadlines, materials needed, effort required, specific skills required, etc.  The individual positions in a governments would start as NPC occupied positions, but there could be events for individuals to take up roles and make the appropriate meta-operations and initiate Plots as needed.

I'd also like to see a system for Events that could cover anything from social gatherings to recruitment drives to elections, with a way to announce these events with a dedicated (and controlled) persistent communication channel, for instance, a bill board that is put up to announce an event a minimum game days in advance (and at least 2 real life days) and would be taken down afterwards.  Individuals could also generate Events (given proper permission from the local government).

I'd want a robust system for estimating manual effort/Work within the game.  This would approximate the effort to do civic operations (like build walls or fences); to 'worshiping' the gods / 'studying' a problem; to physical endurance (how long a character could work and how quickly they would recover); to performing an ability (including combat, science/religion and magic/psionics).  This would need to define specific actions that a character could undertake, and any meta-operations that the game might need/desire like communications, voting, announcements, scheduling, etc.

The natural progression would be exploring the 'known' world with helping characters in the towns and planting to encountering natural threats (including environmental threats like wildfires and volcanoes) to dealing with dynamic relations among the known worlds to first encounters with the adversary races to conflict and conquest.

For the specific game, I'd envision a much larger game-world than any previously attempted, magnitudes larger.  Generate some terrain and populate the areas with organizations, NPC characters, local plots, transportation, etc.  I'd really want players to have 6 months of game time before they first encountered the minor adversaries. Ideally, I'd want to populate the entire world and run the dynamic systems at least one week before I allowed any characters to enter the world.  This should give some time for the dynamic processes to start tending toward unknown developments.

At the end, I'd hope to have 3 deliverables, a new character system (think a very robust, advanced Champions system for computer games) that could be licensed, an AI system and game framework that could be licensed, and one playable game, with the possibility to build more games.  Then I'd start on building other games based on the first deliverables (high-fantasy, semi-historical low-fantasy, Napoleonic, Early Modern, Modern, near future, horror, far future, dinosaurs, time travel, etc.)  (Not: that existing IPs can be entirely optional).

Then, there would be a massive lunch.

UngoodcheyanecameltosisAmarantharBrainyAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    With $2 billion, I think I would start by building a gaming 'think-tank'.  Their goal would be to break away from the framework started by D&D.  I'd work with a different model of the human body, no HPs/Levels, and determine how injuries occur/heal/impair the body's functions.  Then they would formulate systems of extra-normal abilities (magic) based on scientific models and natural learning.  Lastly, I'd worry about physics - fire, lightning, ballistics, gravity, vacuum, etc.

That would be the basis of how to represent a character within a game.

Then I'd have that team formulate ideas (and systems) about storytelling, progression, personality, role playing and how to make these elements important to he player experiencing these elements and the people around that player.  Role playing shouldn't be something that everyone does; it should be something that affects people in contact with the world.

I'd then start an AI team to develop improved AI schemes for everything from personal feelings about the world around the characters, interpersonal relationships between characters, natural creatures, eco-systems, to 'civilized' opponent creatures (NPCs).  I'd have them produce truly dynamic behavior (at these multiple levels) that are drive the stories occurring in the game.  Things like a Plot with an originator, resources, actors, level of visibility (got to have secret plots to oppose the government), and goals.

Then I'd have the AI work on more dynamic interactions, like diplomacy, knowledge, and litigation, where the idea was to present an idea (in-game) and supporting arguments to convince another entity to 'change their mind'.  I could see this as some kind of state-engine to end all state-engines.

Then I'd start the game development.  I personally like fantasy, but I could also be interested in a futuristic space exploration game.  There would have to be various organizations (built along the Plot idea above) to implement governments, guilds, factions, individual interests, etc and populate the world.  I would definitely want to start with multiple governments (at country/state/local levels) and several far off threats that players wouldn't encounter for some time.

Governments and in-game guilds would be set up as Organizations, with specific roles within each organization.  Each of these roles have certain meta-operations to initiate Plots or Tasks to do some work.  If a town wanted to build a new flower garden with a fence, it could issue a task with material costs, deadlines, materials needed, effort required, specific skills required, etc.  The individual positions in a governments would start as NPC occupied positions, but there could be events for individuals to take up roles and make the appropriate meta-operations and initiate Plots as needed.

I'd also like to see a system for Events that could cover anything from social gatherings to recruitment drives to elections, with a way to announce these events with a dedicated (and controlled) persistent communication channel, for instance, a bill board that is put up to announce an event a minimum game days in advance (and at least 2 real life days) and would be taken down afterwards.  Individuals could also generate Events (given proper permission from the local government).

I'd want a robust system for estimating manual effort/Work within the game.  This would approximate the effort to do civic operations (like build walls or fences); to 'worshiping' the gods / 'studying' a problem; to physical endurance (how long a character could work and how quickly they would recover); to performing an ability (including combat, science/religion and magic/psionics).  This would need to define specific actions that a character could undertake, and any meta-operations that the game might need/desire like communications, voting, announcements, scheduling, etc.

The natural progression would be exploring the 'known' world with helping characters in the towns and planting to encountering natural threats (including environmental threats like wildfires and volcanoes) to dealing with dynamic relations among the known worlds to first encounters with the adversary races to conflict and conquest.

For the specific game, I'd envision a much larger game-world than any previously attempted, magnitudes larger.  Generate some terrain and populate the areas with organizations, NPC characters, local plots, transportation, etc.  I'd really want players to have 6 months of game time before they first encountered the minor adversaries. Ideally, I'd want to populate the entire world and run the dynamic systems at least one week before I allowed any characters to enter the world.  This should give some time for the dynamic processes to start tending toward unknown developments.

At the end, I'd hope to have 3 deliverables, a new character system (think a very robust, advanced Champions system for computer games) that could be licensed, an AI system and game framework that could be licensed, and one playable game, with the possibility to build more games.  Then I'd start on building other games based on the first deliverables (high-fantasy, semi-historical low-fantasy, Napoleonic, Early Modern, Modern, near future, horror, far future, dinosaurs, time travel, etc.)  (Not: that existing IPs can be entirely optional).

Then, there would be a massive lunch.

I love your idea of non-combat progress and rewards.
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Great topic @Ungood good responses by many. I am not creative. I am just a consumer. I do that best.
    UngoodMendeliixviiiixAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    Great topic @Ungood good responses by many. I am not creative. I am just a consumer. I do that best.
    My wife says this a lot too.
    cheyaneAlBQuirky

AlBQuirky said:
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    The game I would make for me and my tastes will not sell at all well in today's market. I'd rather buy an island somewhere :)
    Tell me about it anyway.
    A strategic combat game with a lot of XCom fights. Pirate101 tried this, but was not very good at explaining exactly what a player can do in one turn. There would be "normal WASD" movement out of combat, but once combat is joined in, turn based.

The setting I'm unsure about. Almost anything would work for me, but I do tend to lean more towards fantasy settings. I like "magic."

I do enjoy crafting and wouldn't mind a game with a heavy dose of intricate crafting modules. I also enjoy exploring so an "Earth based" setting would be kind of boring, knowing our Earth. I also enjoy home building and/or city building. Creating a home to live in is a worthwhile goal for me.

I doubt if either PvP or raids would be included. If they did show up, it would be for other players, not me. Also, true RNG would not be used so that 4 shots at 90%+ in a row are missed, as XCom has too frequently.

That's a start. More as I think more on it :)
    Wait.. so it becomes Turn based combat once you get into a fight?
    AlBQuirky

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited February 2021
    Honestly if i was given 2 US billions to make something , then i would like to make a easy to use game engine to support people to make they own game .

Because i can't think about anything interest to make a game that i want to play. because what point to play a game that i know all about it ?

that's what make minecraft successed . it was not only a contents to consume but also a tool to creative .

UngoodAlBQuirky
    edited February 2021
    iixviiiix said:
    Honestly if i was given 2 US billions to make something , then i would like to make a easy to use game engine to support people to make they own game .

Because i can't think about anything interest to make a game that i want to play. because what point to play a game that i know all about it ?

that's what make minecraft successed . it was not only a contents to consume but also a tool to creative .

Like Roblox, I like this idea a lot. Where you are given the tools to be creative.
    AlBQuirky

• Party_at_PoD_LiftParty_at_PoD_Lift Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Honestly an MMO has to get closer to how real life feels. It needs more unpredictability and something closer to near endless possibilities.  The issue with MMOs today is that the optimal way to play them is the only way to play them because there's no replay value in anything doing while leveling up.  The only concern MMO devs have shown for in their games in the past 7+ years is they've bought into this idea that WoW started that the end game is the game mentality. This has kinda led to the situation we're in now with MMOs and the marketplace.

We're at a point now that MMOs have become so linear in their progression that the only content that they can focus on is dungeons, raids, and PvP.  All other content in the game is trivial and doesn't add anything to your character.  In  the MMO world we're seeing that there's a finite conclusion to the content of all the games and when that happens there's a mad dash to get to the end of the game so you can farm the same dungeons/instances for the best shiny items.   What's wrong here is there's noting of value outside of combat.  Imagine if in real life the only thing of value that was worth doing was constantly running on a wheel and that was it.  The entire world designed around that wheel.  That's what MMOs are right now. 

2 Billion dollars to make a MMO?
    First thing I'm doing is I'm hiring AI, and Quantum computing programmers.  I'm going to explain to them that we need to make a world with an everchanging landscape;  not just in terms of the physical environment but we need to make the NPCs have personalities and act in what they consider to be their best interest.  Furthermore we need to develop this world in such a way that NPCs can change the entire landscape of the game, whether that be invading another city, moving their town, or going full evil. AI and NPCs with a bit more self-awareness and acting in accord with what would benefit them the most and allowing that change to be noticeable by the community I think is key.

Second thing I'm doing is I'm going to team up with some developers to try and make the largest possible world to date.  What you want to do is make a world so large, so big, that there's always an endless possibility of discovery.  You want your players to log in and wonder what's to the West of here.  The last they heard someone ventured past the Western mountains they were never seen again.  Make them feel there's stakes and actual value in what they're trying to achieve.  If we continue to base the game around just running games where combat is the only thing of value and there's no room for alternative advancements like playing intrigue, or actually running a market with crafting, or exploration we'll continue to get games we already know how to solve.
    UngoodGdemamicameltosischeyaneAlBQuirkyILLISET
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited February 2021
    The first mistake is try to make a game world too big . You think you want to discorver the big big world but you will get bore soon .
    Another mistake is try to make AI smart . Stupid AI maybe fun , but smart AI will ruin the game.
    UngoodAlBQuirky
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I would just make Acting Lessons 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 etc etc

J/K ;)
    AlBQuirky
    BruceYee said:
    I would just make Acting Lessons 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 etc etc

J/K ;)
    Legit, I had no idea there was a game called Acting Lessons.
    AlBQuirky

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    The game I would make for me and my tastes will not sell at all well in today's market. I'd rather buy an island somewhere :)
    Tell me about it anyway.
    A strategic combat game with a lot of XCom fights. Pirate101 tried this, but was not very good at explaining exactly what a player can do in one turn. There would be "normal WASD" movement out of combat, but once combat is joined in, turn based.

The setting I'm unsure about. Almost anything would work for me, but I do tend to lean more towards fantasy settings. I like "magic."

I do enjoy crafting and wouldn't mind a game with a heavy dose of intricate crafting modules. I also enjoy exploring so an "Earth based" setting would be kind of boring, knowing our Earth. I also enjoy home building and/or city building. Creating a home to live in is a worthwhile goal for me.

I doubt if either PvP or raids would be included. If they did show up, it would be for other players, not me. Also, true RNG would not be used so that 4 shots at 90%+ in a row are missed, as XCom has too frequently.

Yes. I really like the "initiative" roll from tabletop RPGs :)
    Ungood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Tell me about it anyway.

Yes. I really like the "initiative" roll from tabletop RPGs :)
    This kinda makes me think of the original Final Fantasy, (8 bit version) where you could move about with WASD, but when a fight started, you would break down into turn based combat, of your group vs the group of mobs. Really fun concept.

AlBQuirky

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I would just use the $2 billion to take a really solid popular 2nd tier mmo like Champions of Regnum, and release it on 50 million servers with super server speed. 
    UngoodAlBQuirky
  • GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 302
    edited February 2021
    The title is pretty misleading. They invested 2billion, new world will be dope, so I dont understand how they failed. 
    UngoodAlBQuirky
  • Cls78612Cls78612 Newbie CommonPosts: 10
    blowing 2 billion dollars to make a game is a joke to me....first off it don't take 2 billion dollars to make a new game period...unless you got hundreds of thousands of employees to pay... i just find it hard to believe that come up with a plan to make a game....expectly that it's crowd funded  game....unless the company ot game creator has a plan to actually make a game i think it's nothing but a scam to pull money for nothing....again this is my option. really only need maybe a small crew of people that all really wants to make a great fresh new MMORPG different from all other MMORPGs in it's own way & a game plan how to make it all work...maybe it would take couple million to make a really great solid MMORPG between fund for the game & paying the crew. i think that's the major problem with most games nowdays...everyone one of them has great talents to make a great game but don't want put the time into it that'll make it great but just want make a great introduction that has nothing to do with the game & just be cash cow with false hope for the game....

for me my game would be fresh different type of MMORPG. it would be short of a sandbox type of world but the world is in begining of a turmoil of war & choas cause the high king & queen & their kids was mystery kill at the great gathering event in front of everyone causing everyone to turn on each other who did it. the immortals lost their immotalily cause of the curse they cast making them all motal & band from thei immotal world into this world as halfgods but still have their powers. 

it'll have short story introduction how to play the game & what you can do in the world. you can join the war of any sides or make your own. you can help or fight for yourself for control of lands . save or destory the world or make a new order or don't bother being part of the war it is up to you how you want to live in this world. you can learn all crafting skills. there's no classes but it is all molded into one so that the players can set up tehir toon how they want play. almost like Albion online but the weapons do have their own style of fights & the armors of plate, leather, clothes will have their weakness & strengths but all the skills, magic, albilties will be in your toon so you can set up be alittle of everything as healer, mage, hunter, range or just be up close & personal or range/ mage or healer, etc.  but will have talent points so that can be jack of trades but won't be so powerful unless just focus on up close & personal but will be weaker against range fighters, etc.  it's not gonna have much of a story but you're the story how you want play so you feel that you're in control of your own destiny. you'll be able build your own home if you're a loner or town have npcs or other players/friends in your guild....that'll be in a portal cause that's hard to make work in MMORPG with thousands or more other players in same world/server...  these r some of ideas i had in my mind... i don't know what you think of these let me know what you think positive or negative i welcome both.

UngoodAlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Cls78612 said:
    blowing 2 billion dollars to make a game is a joke to me....

I agree though did they really take "2 billion" so far to make this game or did someone see that they've spent 2 Billion creating a game studio and just ran with it?

Serious question.
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo