Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What we see and know so far.

Pros:
Old School.
Deep character builds.
Bust lighting and glow of any game.

Cons:
The game is taking much longer than expected.
No real proof it is very far along
Deception- showing loaded up files, not zones.
Deception- game play pretends random other groups.
They run out of money often, and stop working. 
More pre-preparing us for a cash shop.
Lot's of talk.
Website full of fluff.
Even on this site three paragraphs of fluff in it's header synopsis (fluff).
Long battles, appear groups will not fill goals and getting anything accomplished. 
Hours of game play just to clear one floor.
EVERYTHING time consuming, yet mention of short play sessions. 
Good lighting, bad animation, 2004 graphics.... But good lighting.
Searching for clues is not user friendly.
We should have a working large city by now.
How does solo work ? 
Many bugs if attention to detail.
Something off about coding/programming, will it play on computers ?

No relaxing lean flow of gameplay. 
All game play footage starts in the middle. 
Groups don't assemble naturally, but programed into the file.
Random groups must be efficient or will fail ALL THE TIME.
Random groups MUST be patient.
Never room for error "ever".  

In every game play footage, it assumes 3 hours of game sessions minimum.  At least one hour to advance 100 yards EVEN IN OPEN WORLD !

My overall opinion:
I like many things despite many cons. Lots of unrealistic. Worries about coding bugs and crashes.
A smart person should hold off several days/weeks before getting involved.

Reviews will be negative that's a fact.....Game will be a mess.... it will be up to you or I to decide what were capable of putting up with. Unfortunately thousands / millions will fall into anticipation to resist, leading to frustration. 
mmolouachesomabng28TwoTubes

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited January 2021
    Despite all above.... I like the old school style of create a character and try like hell to survive.

Before you slam me... EQ1 / P1999... is great for early development (a prototype of what should have come). But an absolute mess by todays standards.

Broken with work arounds is the best way to explain it. 

Easy for players beck in 1999, just like running a cotton weaving machine for villages 500 years in the past..... But the cotton is still nice to have, but machines are better.

mmolou
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2021
    I think people in general keep looking at these rpg's in comparison to a couple others instead of thinking about what the genre should evolve into to be a true MMO+RPG.
    I mention this because WHO says they have a deep character build?
    Who says it is old school,old school can have many forms,the only distinguishable separation from old and new is camps or quests for xp but there is no way it should end at that SIMPLE difference.

IMO we don't really know much of Pantheon at all.How wil lthe entire world mesh together,are there several villages and town connected to larger towns,are they at war with each other or are they simply hubs to get quests?

I don't want to outright COPY survival games but our characters SHOULD have some form of survival otherwise what are we ,robots?

What do characters do on a day by day basis,there needs to be a lot more layers than simply  "let's go do a dungeon" "WHY?" "Well umm idk because?".Oh i know ,because that is what all other rpg's do,we kill Bosses and get loot..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

So where does Pantheon truly fall into the grand scheme of MMO+RPG design,idk,nobody truly knows,

delete5230TwoTubes

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited January 2021
    Wizardry said:
    I think people in general keep looking at these rpg's in comparison to a couple others instead of thinking about what the genre should evolve into to be a true MMO+RPG.
    I mention this because WHO says they have a deep character build?
    Who says it is old school,old school can have many forms,the only distinguishable separation from old and new is camps or quests for xp but there is no way it should end at that SIMPLE difference.

IMO we don't really know much of Pantheon at all.How wil lthe entire world mesh together,are there several villages and town connected to larger towns,are they at war with each other or are they simply hubs to get quests?

I don't want to outright COPY survival games but our characters SHOULD have some form of survival otherwise what are we ,robots?

What do characters do on a day by day basis,there needs to be a lot more layers than simply  "let's go do a dungeon" "WHY?" "Well umm idk because?".Oh i know ,because that is what all other rpg's do,we kill Bosses and get loot..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

So where does Pantheon truly fall into the grand scheme of MMO+RPG design,idk,nobody truly knows,

GREAT !!
    Very informative, and a different take of looking at old school :)

The questions your asking should not only be answered but video footage too after this long.  It's now turning into deceptive after so many years.

Visionary Realms is not what I assumed it would be.
    Post edited by delete5230 on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited January 2021
    Despite all above.... I like the old school style of create a character and try like hell to survive.

Quit complaining then and try FO76 without watching any videos or reading guides.

For extra challenge don't ask anyone in game how to do things, try to discern for yourself how to kill a Deathclaw with a pipe pistol.

You can't even use traditional over leveling tactics as the game now scales to keep combat challengeing.

Just this week my main went up against legendary level 100 Mirelurk Queen (players are level locked at 50) and died four times, so often a friend not used to seeing me die got curious so came to assist in putting her down.

I eventually figured out I was missing three perk cards which despite being secondary made all of the difference. (I had swapped them out to do some crafting earlier)

I'm now leveling up a bloody build alt (think glass cannon, high dps, 20% hitpoints) and despite being lvl 153 I'm not sure how I would win that fight, will likely need to slot more legendary perk cards and up my gear a bit, dunno.

Point is, despite all your complaints there are games which provide the challenge you crave along with a large variety of builds and activities Wiz claims to want.

They did tone down the survival aspects but since food, drink, resting, and several other activities can tremendously improve character power and level gains there are huge benefits to utilizing them.

So set aside your reservations, (I don't like the IP, I don't want the use guns, it's not a "real" MMORPG, it has a bad monetization model) and buy it next time it goes on sale, $15 or if you have MS GamePass it is free to play.

Otherwise you are just complaining for it's own sake and aren't seriously trying to "find the fun."

Post edited by Kyleran on
    SovrathmmolouScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Quit complaining then and try FO76 without watching any videos or reading guides.

For extra challeng don't ask anyone in game how to do things, try to discern for yourself how to kill a Deathclaw with a pipe pistol.

You can't even use traditional over leveling tactics until as the game now scales to keep combat challengeing.

Just this week my main went up against legendary level 100 Mirelurk Queen (players are level locked at 50) and died four times, so often a friend not used to seeing me die got curious so came to assist in putting her down.

I eventually figured out I was missing three perk cards which despite being secondary made all of the difference. (I had swapped them out to do some crafting earlier)

I'm now leveling up a bloody build alt (think glass cannon, high dps, 20% hitpoints) and despite being lvl 153 I'm not sure how I would win that fight, will likely need to slot more legendary perk cards and up my gear a bit, dunno.

Point is, despite all your complaints there are games which provide the challenge you crave along with a large variety of builds and activities Wiz claims to want.

They did tone down the survival aspects but since food, drink, resting, and several other activities can tremendously improve character power and level gains there are huge benefits to utilizing them.

So set aside your reservations, (I don't like the IP, I don't want the use guns, it's not a "real" MMORPG, it has a bad monetization model) and buy it next time it goes on sale, $15 or if you have MS GamePass it is free to play.

Otherwise you are just complaining for it's own sake and aren't seriously trying to "find the fun."

Really does sound fun... Medication is helping greatly, unfortunately I can't use VR glasses. Low flashy games is about the best I can do.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited January 2021
    Kyleran said:

For extra challeng don't ask anyone in game how to do things, try to discern for yourself how to kill a Deathclaw with a pipe pistol.

You can't even use traditional over leveling tactics until as the game now scales to keep combat challengeing.

I played a bloody build.  It was amazing.  I do not recall all the perks/mutations but I walked around with a sliver of health and just 1 shot everything.   I also recall that I was highly dependent on specific armor (unyielding) and when I went into a blast zone it was amazingly hard because I either had to put on a rad suit and suck or really manage my rads.

It would be great if a game like Pantheon allowed you to experiment and get bizarre builds like that.
    Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Kyleran said:

For extra challenge don't ask anyone in game how to do things, try to discern for yourself how to kill a Deathclaw with a pipe pistol.

I kill Deathclaws all the time in my back yard.  I have two pipe pistols, one in my car one locked up in my gun cabinet in the basement.

Infact I had one in my back yard last week, shot him out of the garage window.  He went down easily.  to make things more challenging I pulled down my pants and took off my boots incase he attacked. 

The wife thought I was crazy, it's cold outside.... I told her, at least I got Deathclaw  :D

Have a good day @Kyleran ;
    ScotUngood[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • bng28bng28 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Pros:
    Old School.
    Deep character builds.

Cons:
    Lot's of talk.
    Website full of fluff.
    Long battles, appear groups will not fill goals and getting anything accomplished. 
    How does solo work ? 

In every game play footage, it assumes 3 hours of game sessions minimum.  At least one hour to advance 100 yards EVEN IN OPEN WORLD !

My overall opinion:
    I like many things despite many cons. Lots of unrealistic. Worries about coding bugs and crashes.

Reviews will be negative that's a fact.....Game will be a mess.... it will be up to you or I to decide what were capable of putting up with. Unfortunately thousands / millions will fall into anticipation to resist, leading to frustration. 
    Why use lot word, when few word do trick.
    Gdemami
    bng28 said:

Why use lot word, when few word do trick.
    Good point,
    Lot deception, lot bad, little good.

[Deleted User]KyleranLackingMMO
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    It's too bad they don't just keep games like this quiet until they are much more ready...in this day and age where we are disecting games that are in very early alpha stage, it's like they are doomed before they even have a chance to launch.
    Sovrathdelete5230MendelGdemamiTwoTubesLackingMMO
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    It's too bad they don't just keep games like this quiet until they are much more ready...in this day and age where we are disecting games that are in very early alpha stage, it's like they are doomed before they even have a chance to launch.

The problem is that development teams look to the players for funding, hence the rise of the crowdfunded model.  Finding investors in the traditional manner would cut down the number of development companies.  Notice, I didn't say cut down the number of games, just the number of hands reaching for your wallet.  So far, crowdfunding hasn't really delivered all that many games (proportionally).

delete5230GdemamiKyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ILLISETILLISET Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Pros:
    Old School.
    Deep character builds.

Cons:
    Lot's of talk.
    Website full of fluff.
    How does solo work ? 

My overall opinion:

Sounds like you never played DAoC and you don't have an appreciation for the hours of gsmellay to progress 100 yards. 
  • WhiskeyZuluWhiskeyZulu Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I have no problem with difficult gameplay.  In fact I am still looking forward to this game even though I am of the mind that it's going to fail.

The issue here is that in order to have a rich world that is deep and challenging and updated and well maintained etc., etc., you must have subscriptions that can sustain a well stocked dev team.  And to have subscriptions you must have a game that is good from the outset.  By that I mean it has to be polished and engrossing and feel like it's worth your money.

This team is not going to be able to pull that off.  They're ruminating on the most basic things.  Paralysis by over-analysis.  It's a treehouse club being funded by desperate fans of EQ.  I feel like if they ever do get to release the game will be buggy and pieced together like a frankenstein monster and the unwashed masses that are required to fund a top product won't stick around.

Fans of EQ which include myself often argue that those other players don't matter.  But they do.  Because this is a business and people have to get paid, bills for servers and buildings have to be paid.

At some point a team is going to come along that will not try to reinvent everything about MMOs and instead simply build on the most successful models and produce a polished game that can launch to success.  Unfortunately it won't be this one.  I'll be playing Pantheon if it ever gets there but my fanhood and hopes aren't strong enough for me to delude myself.
    [Deleted User]TwoTubes
    Arterius said:
    I have no problem with difficult gameplay.  In fact I am still looking forward to this game even though I am of the mind that it's going to fail.

The issue here is that in order to have a rich world that is deep and challenging and updated and well maintained etc., etc., you must have subscriptions that can sustain a well stocked dev team.  And to have subscriptions you must have a game that is good from the outset.  By that I mean it has to be polished and engrossing and feel like it's worth your money.

This team is not going to be able to pull that off.  They're ruminating on the most basic things.  Paralysis by over-analysis.  It's a treehouse club being funded by desperate fans of EQ.  I feel like if they ever do get to release the game will be buggy and pieced together like a frankenstein monster and the unwashed masses that are required to fund a top product won't stick around.

Fans of EQ which include myself often argue that those other players don't matter.  But they do.  Because this is a business and people have to get paid, bills for servers and buildings have to be paid.

At some point a team is going to come along that will not try to reinvent everything about MMOs and instead simply build on the most successful models and produce a polished game that can launch to success.  Unfortunately it won't be this one.  I'll be playing Pantheon if it ever gets there but my fanhood and hopes aren't strong enough for me to delude myself.
    My bet on the next big MMO that will join the ranks of WoW, FFXIV, ESO, and Runescape in the top tier MMO category is the League of Legends MMO. It has rich lore, already has millions of players that will buy into it on launch because its in the Runeterra world, has new people getting interested with the show, and on top of all that when you listen to them talk about the cost and the expectations they get it.

During a recent Investor call when asked how much they think it will cost to produce they said 500mil or more because it needs to launch with the same amount of content as WoW or FFXIV and just as polished and good because people will compare there MMO to those ones.
    So, launching some time around 2028, yes? 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Mendel said:

The problem is that development teams look to the players for funding, hence the rise of the crowdfunded model.  Finding investors in the traditional manner would cut down the number of development companies.  Notice, I didn't say cut down the number of games, just the number of hands reaching for your wallet.  So far, crowdfunding hasn't really delivered all that many games (proportionally).

I remember them saying crowdfunding would allow devs to be more creative as well. Hasn't really happened, not that there aren't some gems here and there, but most is the same. Also, so many missed dates and timelines are worthless now. I really preferred when development companies had publishers, as much as we would be mad they were released without X or whatever. We at least got the game!
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I'm mostly surprised its apparently not gone yet, despite still not having launched.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited January 2022
    My concern is which of these "upcoming" MMOs will we not be talking about in January of next year as taking too long? Will any even be in beta?
    Scot said:
    My concern is which of these "upcoming" MMOs will we not be talking about in January of next year as taking too long? Will any even be in beta?
    Well, CU should probably enter it's 3rd or 4th year of "Beta One"

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited January 2022
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Well, CU should probably enter it's 3rd or 4th year of "Beta One"
    Crikey.