Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They Are Coming Out this Year!

2»

Comments

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    New World looks more my style than Crowfall, so that's where I am leaning.  Honestly, New World looks like the only thing coming up that will steal my attention from City of Heroes and Ship of Heroes, except maybe CyberPunk 2077, once it is playable on a less than $10,000 computer...
    AlBQuirky

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Having played Crowfall quite extensively, I know it's not a game for me. It's also... not "really" a MMORPG in the "massive" way, the way it works is kinda strange with all those separate rather small worlds. I still have the icon on my desktop, but I can't get the motivation to launch it.

New World though... can't wait to return to that game. Most immersive world in a MMORPG since a long time. I just hope they won't destroy the game while trying to make it better...

In the meantime, I'm also playing "Valheim", that game is awesome.
    MMORPG's aren't "Massive". The word is specifically "Massively". You confuse people when you change the word as "Massive" could mean the players avatar is huge, it could mean the world is huge, it could mean lots of different things. Massively however is an adverb and is quantifying the Multiplayer portion. The world can be small in an MMO. It doesn't even have to be persistent (MMORPG's typically require persistence though). It just needs a massive quantity of people in one shared world. If Crowfall is only hosting 64 players a world, its not an MMO at all. It may still retain the RPG portion though.
    KyleranScotAlBQuirkyGdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    madazz said:
    Having played Crowfall quite extensively, I know it's not a game for me. It's also... not "really" a MMORPG in the "massive" way, the way it works is kinda strange with all those separate rather small worlds. I still have the icon on my desktop, but I can't get the motivation to launch it.

New World though... can't wait to return to that game. Most immersive world in a MMORPG since a long time. I just hope they won't destroy the game while trying to make it better...

MMORPG's aren't "Massive". The word is specifically "Massively". You confuse people when you change the word as "Massive" could mean the players avatar is huge, it could mean the world is huge, it could mean lots of different things. Massively however is an adverb and is quantifying the Multiplayer portion. The world can be small in an MMO. It doesn't even have to be persistent (MMORPG's typically require persistence though). It just needs a massive quantity of people in one shared world. If Crowfall is only hosting 64 players a world, its not an MMO at all. It may still retain the RPG portion though.

I confuse nothing.
    And before you start on more English lessons, massive and massively have the same root...
    But whatever, everybody has his own definition and I stopped cared about the nonsensical ones. Crowfall isn't a MMORPG, in my book, and that's good enough for me. Just like GW1 never was a MMORPG.
    Don't get me started on Massively! :)
    francis_baud[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2021
    Most people discuss games being an mmo based on nothing more than a login screen.

If you -are playing these games solo and they are designed to solo,they are SINGLE player games with a massive login screen.
    I don't get excited for ANY game coming out because the trend has been early access and or messy half assed releases that might as well be called early access.

This isn't even really new,business have been operating like that for the last 50 years,get your product out sooner rather than later because everyday is money.
    The last game i bought that was bug free,complete and i enjoyed it was Dishonored.I have purchased way more disappointments the last 10 years than games that left me satisfied.

AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    madazz said:

Does Crowfall really have a player cap of 64? Or is that just speculation?

I had heard that the developers were struggling with the Unity engine, trying to get it up to mmo numbers, but 64 would be a real kick in the teeth. I could understand such a cap in relation to the Eternal Kingdoms, they are, after all, player-owned sandbox mini-worlds, but I thought the proper campaigns were still supposed to be massively multiplayer.

If it really has a cap of 64, then I definitely won't be playing. I only play single player, couch-coop, or massively multiplayer. Normal multiplayer numbers don't interest me one bit.
    AlBQuirkyGdemami
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    madazz said:

I had heard that the developers were struggling with the Unity engine, trying to get it up to mmo numbers, but 64 would be a real kick in the teeth. I could understand such a cap in relation to the Eternal Kingdoms, they are, after all, player-owned sandbox mini-worlds, but I thought the proper campaigns were still supposed to be massively multiplayer.

If it really has a cap of 64, then I definitely won't be playing. I only play single player, couch-coop, or massively multiplayer. Normal multiplayer numbers don't interest me one bit.
    If I'm correct, each campaign world is split between ~10 smaller worlds that can host about 150 players (100? 200?). But I think this limit will only exist during the development, until performances have improved. At some point they may also make worlds bigger, when more players participate in the campaigns.

Kyleran[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    madazz said:

If I'm correct, each campaign world is split between ~10 smaller worlds that can host about 150 players (100? 200?). But I think this limit will only exist during the development, until performances have improved. At some point they may also make worlds bigger, when more players participate in the campaigns.

The worlds aren't coherent either - a world is just smaller separated islands.
    Spining shards of an area does not make it a Missive, as in MMO. I dont like fighting over terms but you really do need a world or at least a large continent to really be an MMO. The time to travel should be consuming.  
    [Deleted User]YashaXAlBQuirkyGdemami
    madazz said:

The worlds aren't coherent either - a world is just smaller separated islands.
    Yea the game relies on portals to move from an island to the other afaik.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    ESO has 30'000+ players playing consecutively on a couple of servers. Games like WoW have 10-25k players per sever. Playing these games, you can get lost and not see players everywhere you go there is so much space. 
    TwistedSister77AlBQuirky[Deleted User]ILLISET
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Nanfoodle said:
    ESO has 30'000+ players playing consecutively on a couple of servers. Games like WoW have 10-25k players per sever. Playing these games, you can get lost and not see players everywhere you go there is so much space. 
    ESO you can go just about anywhere and there are players.  That game makes me feel like I'm in a truly massively populated MMORPG.
    Kyleranfrancis_baudAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Nanfoodle said:
    ESO you can go just about anywhere and there are players.  That game makes me feel like I'm in a truly massively populated MMORPG.
    Err, does either ESO or WOW confirm the actual number of players per "server?"

I seem to recall them reporting them as low, med, high or something like that.

You might be playing with 30K...or 3K..

Who can really say?

francis_baudAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Single shard MMOs, that will supposedly bring "millions" of players in the same universe, are something I'm really looking for. I'm pretty sure they'll end up putting some restrictions at some point to prevent thousands of players from flocking in a single area of the game.
    AlBQuirky
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Nanfoodle said:

Scaling makes that possible. Without, the majority of players would be crammed into whatever area was the current end game one, like in most MMORPGs.
    AlBQuirkyTwistedSister77
    edited February 2021
    Nanfoodle said:

Scaling makes that possible. Without, the majority of players would be crammed into whatever area was the current end game one, like in most MMORPGs.
    That's another reason for scaling to be better, I was sold when I found out how easy it made groups of any "level" to form. 
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • Cls78612Cls78612 Newbie CommonPosts: 10
    I don’t plan on playing either New world or crowfall either.... I did check them out along many other MMORPGs. The only ones that interest me so far are Albion online which i’m Currently playing now....it’s a tough game to solo by yourself after tier 5 or all the time after picking a faction to join cause it’s mainly PvP & can lose all your gears,items,mounts in red & black zones. Guilds are a must. The other game is Ember Sword...it’s kinda like Albion online but in their own ways. Other than that it’s like every year with so much hype & get disappointed in the end...
    KyleranAlBQuirkyYashaX
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    lot of you people disappoint yourselves by overhyping some of these new MMOs. I hope you all come into them with rational thinking.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

lot of you people disappoint yourselves by overhyping some of these new MMOs. I hope you all come into them with rational thinking.
    Well I hoped this thread would at least tease out some of hype, as someone who does not join a game until it has launched I think that's the best way to avoid the hype.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky
    Star Citizen hype has been going for a decade now, and it doesn't seem to disappoint its backers.  :p
    AlBQuirkyScot
  • ILLISETILLISET Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Star Citizen hype has been going for a decade now, and it doesn't seem to disappoint its backers.  :p
    You're funny.  Not many people who were backers 1p years ago are backers today unless they spent thousands on ships and don't want to admit they potentially wasted their money. 
    francis_baudAlBQuirky
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Scot said:
    Well I hoped this thread would at least tease out some of hype, as someone who does not join a game until it has launched I think that's the best way to avoid the hype.
    For Crowfall, this thread has illuminated their smaller scale island campaigns... if true... definitely worth researching more as it gets close to launch and when live.  A 150 player campaign pvp shard does not float my boat.

NW - pivoting fast to traditional theme park, but not very excited about a few 5 man instance dungeons and a single instanced 20 man pvp battleground.  Still a pve lite and pvp lite game.
    AlBQuirky