Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Can't Stop Playing Valheim | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageI Can't Stop Playing Valheim | MMORPG.com

So Bradford might be a tad addicted to Valheim, the new Viking Survival game that is taking Steam by storm right now. Bradford recounts his weekend in the 10th World and how its progressed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 407
    so, this is a single player game right? i mean, if i want to play it alone, i can do it without annoying people stealing everything?
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited February 2021
    Sounds cool.

Does the difficulty increase with # of players? 

Does established settlements really ever face serious danger once you clear an area?
  • ShankTheTankShankTheTank Associate Editor / News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 217

so, this is a single player game right? i mean, if i want to play it alone, i can do it without annoying people stealing everything?

You can play solo, but it’s meant for small groups. We usually play with 4-5 on at any given time. It shines with co-op. Also, there is PvP, but you have to opt-in. You’re not playing on massive servers like Rust. You’re playing on small private servers with up to 9 other friends. It is way more PvE than PvP
    slowz2secretKyleranTruvidienn[Deleted User][Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 555

Sounds cool.

Does established settlements really ever face serious danger once you clear an area?

As far as difficulty creeping with other players, I'm not 100% sure.

There are infrequent attacks on settlements - sometimes on other islands - and we've had to defend out main settlement quite a few times from Trolls, Draugr and other enemies that come at us with little to no warning. It isn't just your main plot of land either - Vinland and our Tawdry Beach settlements have all been attacked multiple times by creatures. It's rather fun trying to snuff them out. Hence the fighting platforms circling the walls in the screenshot above - easy to rain arrows down on Greydwarves and Skeletons from there.
    TwistedSister77Octagon7711
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 555

You can! Also, if you do play on a server, you can built Warding totems to essentially lock down your stuff from other players. We're all on a server together playing so it's mostly communal, but I do like there are some ways to protect your gear.

Also, flagging for PVP is as easy as a toggle in your inventory menu, so you don't have to worry about being killed by another player if you are flagged for PVE only.
    slowz2secret
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Game is certainly getting a lot of hype.

Can someone elaborate on how the servers work? Is it all Peer to Peer or is there dedicated server hosting? Can I play locally and never have people join my private server?
    --------------------------------------------
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Torval said:
    Good story Bradford. It sucked up my weekend as well. We're not as far along as you are but I'm enjoying the experience immensely.
    We huh,?  I knew there was.a reason you weren't seen much in Appalachia this weekend.

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• xDjevikxDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 26

Sounds cool.

The scaling works as like this from our experience.. The more people around you the more hp and mobs hit.. The game is built around a Heat map... so if you have 10 people all building in the same place your base will get hit more often.. If you go solo to a boss it will be 100% easier than taking 5-10.. Scaling with the number of players in the map doesnt seem to scale the world difficulty up but when you are close to others than it gets harder.
    [Deleted User]TwistedSister77Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • xDjevikxDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 26

Game is certainly getting a lot of hype.

Can someone elaborate on how the servers work? Is it all Peer to Peer or is there dedicated server hosting? Can I play locally and never have people join my private server?

You can just play the game solo with no one ever joining your server
    Or you can play on your server and allow others to join you
    Or you can join a community server
    Or you can rent a private server (on a site like G-Portal) that runs 24/7 so everyone can play whenever they want like we do

What blueturtle mention.. You can also see some hidden information.. Pressing f2 will allow you to see your fps and data you are sending and receiving.. Along with steamid's so if you are hosting a server and you do get a bad egg and you set up admins you can kick/ban/whitelist your server.

On top of that you have f5 which is like a console... you can type help in there and see a couple options but you cant use most unless you are admin.. but you can ping the server to check your ping..
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,954
    Yeah, I am not sure this was quite what Tolkien had in mind for Amon Sul, but your keenness makes up for that. :)
    FTrunks21
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Absolutely having a blast. Found my first buried treasure last night totally by accident...

I'm going to cry when we finish the available content but its easily been the best $20 I have spent in a long time.
    FTrunks21AsheramKyleranenesisxlr8[Deleted User]Wellspring

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I haven't seen so many positive post by forums members before... not any negatives... aside from some wtf face person.  
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Wellspring
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    The AI is really dragging this game down for me .. Every Mob bosses included are really fuggin stupid .. Even the deer are stupid .. Starting to bore me with how little challenge there is at all to any combat
    [Deleted User]JHLotBKyleran
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318

Wouldn't recommend it for solo play, i refunded it as it got boring very fast playing alone.
    KyleranGdemamienesisxlr8
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited February 2021

Sounds cool.

Yes, more players in an area the more mobs and the harder they are. There are mini invasions on your settlements too.

It is also fun watching different mobs fight each other, as an example I was sneaking up to a fuling camp when out of the blue 3 lox's ran in and started fighting the fulings. One lox lived, poor little green goblins all dead. Me easy loot pick up. ;)

Signex said:

Wouldn't recommend it for solo play, i refunded it as it got boring very fast playing alone.

I have only played the game as single player since I got into its beta last august. It all depends on the person I think. I really enjoyed it and for me it was well worth the $20, I fully expected the price to be more.
    TwistedSister77TacticalZombehBrainy
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I started playing this solo and got about 30 hours in, so if you like to build, craft and just explore alone this game has all it solo, when you group with friends there is much more to do but either way the game is definitely worth the money..
    Asheram[Deleted User]KyleranTacticalZombehenesisxlr8[Deleted User]WellspringBrainy
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I feel Valheim has been grossly over rated,a very sub par game with ugly rectangle huts repeated everywhere.

All that aside,the thing that would really make my day is if thousands of Valheim players went into Atlas Discord and spammed photos of Valheim gameplay.
    I would love to see their reaction and attempts to slow it down lol.
    AsheramTacticalZombeh[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Wizardry said:
    I feel Valheim has been grossly over rated,a very sub par game with ugly rectangle huts repeated everywhere.

All that aside,the thing that would really make my day is if thousands of Valheim players went into Atlas Discord and spammed photos of Valheim gameplay.
    Why would anyone playing one game (Valheim) want to go into a Discord for another game (Atlas) and do anything at all?  Let alone "spam" it with photos.

Your posts make less and less sense each day.

AsheramBrainy[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Tedious, unforgiving and frustrating ... And freaking awesome game.
    You need to slow down and get into the flow; if you try to power play this game you are not going to enjoy it.
    Also nice to see an early access game at this high quality.
    Asheram[Deleted User]KyleranSplitStream13kitaradTheocritusBrainy
    Wizardry said:

Why would anyone playing one game (Valheim) want to go into a Discord for another game (Atlas) and do anything at all?  Let alone "spam" it with photos.

Your posts make less and less sense each day.

My memory of posts my be deceiving me, but I thought Wizardy wasn't even happy at (recent  - past year) Atlas direction?
    AsheramSovrathBrainy
  • GreenSage39GreenSage39 Member UncommonPosts: 144
    I tried Rust, Tree of Life, and Conan Exiles. I had loads and loads of fun for a month on each. Then the fun for whatever reason literally fell to 0% on each game after about a month and a half or so. Just became no fun.
    ScotKyleran
  • enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 174
    10/10 best game this year by far.. just want to play more
    Kyleranklash2def[Deleted User]