Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They Are Coming Out this Year!

ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,975
Supposedly both Crowfall and New World are coming out this year (do say if there are any I missed). I am a one MMO sort of guy so I am not going to be playing two MMOs at the same time, did that once before and it left me feeling like I needed to go to rehab.

So which one will it be and why? I am leaning to NW myself as that has some sort of RvR and better graphics, but I know so little about both games I am open to suggestions. Remember when it comes to MMOs there can only be one! Well the one I am currently playing anyway.
francis_baudYashaXAlBQuirkyGladDog

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I'm actually looking forward to both.  I'm also a 1 mmo kinda guy so I'm up in the air.  In all likely hood, I'll play the first one that comes out and move to the other one when I'm tired of it.
    Scotfrancis_baud[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

I self identify as a monkey.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited February 2021

In the meantime, I'm also playing "Valheim", that game is awesome.
    You aren't alone, apparently getting rave reviews by all who play it.

Good review on PCGamer revealed two things which make it not for me.

First, it's a survival game which is just a genre I can't get into (though is described as more forgiving than most)

Second, it's in early access, which is a big no no anymore, finish the game then sell it to me, as it can often take years to release, or even stay in early access indefinitely like 7 days has with significant gameplay changes throughout.

https://www.pcgamer.com/valheim-is-making-me-love-survival-games-again/

Also, I have to ask, why did you play Crowfall extensively?

I pretty much can tell a game is a no go in a fairly short time frame, can't recall ever playing anything for a great length of time only to conclude it wasn't really my cup of tea.

Maybe it's an early access thing?
    ScotAlBQuirkyAsheramFTrunks21Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,975
    Kyleran said:

In the meantime, I'm also playing "Valheim", that game is awesome.
    You aren't alone, apparently getting rave reviews by all who play it.

Good review on PCGamer revealed two things which make it not for me.

First, it's a survival game which is just a genre I can't get into (though is described as more forgiving than most)

Second, it's in early access, which is a big no no anymore, finish the game then sell it to me, as it can often take years to release, or even stay in early access indefinitely like 7 days has with significant gameplay changes throughout.

https://www.pcgamer.com/valheim-is-making-me-love-survival-games-again/

I pretty much can tell a game is a no go in a fairly short time frame, can't recall ever playing anything for a great length of time only to conclude it wasn't really my cup of tea.

If they have not learned to steer clear of early access yet I am not sure they ever will, to me this is similar to players who played MMOs from the "cash shop open" stage. Of course back then it took a lot longer to open the cash shop as the games were not CF.
    AlBQuirkyGdemami
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I will be playing FFXI private servers because nothing else is worth my time,especially those two games.
    If i was into some half assed pvp design then i would likely lean towards NW just because Crowfall does more things i can't stand.Having said that both games would bore me very quickly,rinse and repeat will come very soon.
    That is also why i like having Atlas to go to in case i just want to build stuff,sail the waters and be challenged with danger every second.

I mean i can't play FFXI too much,already played it for years so not like i can just play 7 days a week now.If neither hits my fancy i'll just play a few gmaes of Hearthstone or watch movies,i don't NEED to support any half assed games and nothing i play costs me any money.
    ScotAlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sadly just last night i spent hours surfing for 2021 was msosly interested in 4x games/building games but nothing at all looks more than cheap Indie.
    I think it sums it up when you see a GIANT ,heavily staffed,heavy overhead studio like Blizzard with it's main focus on a MOBILE rehash of Diablo.

2021 looks real bad.I even spent an hour or so checking out gematsu Japan stuff since i kind of like JPN rpg designs but again tons of cheap looking stuff.

The best game for charater/combat design was Bravely Default 2 "NIN Switch only" but again just like the rest ,low end graphics not a lot of passionate effort put into it,so a shell of a game.

Point being i already did a ton of research on this years games and it looks to maybe be one of the worst years ever.
    AlBQuirkyILLISET

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    Eh, I don't know much about either. From what I've seen NW strikes me as more intriguing just from apparent atmosphere alone. If I was choosing between them and I knew my system could handle it I would chose that over Crowfall.
    YashaXAlBQuirky
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    A little gameplay video for newbies that shows a tiny part of the game's complexity.

Valheim is something I avoided when it first came out because another survival game that is early access just sounded lame to me. But then after my friend convinced me to try it out, it's a lot more fun and more polished than any survival game I've played, plus the procedurally generated worlds was a nice feature instead of being on one stagnant map. Apparently it's been in early access a lot longer on Itch.io as one of my friends said he had been playing on there prior to the steam launch. They also said the price wont change on launch, so the 20 dollar tag is what it will always cost. 
    MendelKyleranAsheramAlBQuirky
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited February 2021
    Only MMO this year I may try is CorePunk. They dont say much but what they have said has been awesome. Their policy is not say much and spend their money on making the game as fast as they can. The quest system looks awesome and the combat is slower, not twitch, its all about tactics. The range of play styles also looks awesome. 
    AlBQuirky
    tzervo said:
    Scot said:
    So which one will it be and why?
    Play the first one that actually releases. No point in waiting for something that might release that you might want to play when there is something that you can play already. When/if the other one also releases, you can do a comparo and reconsider. :)
    I used to play every major MMO that releases. I have enough older MMOs I like I play their new content and move on to the next one. Im no longer a new MMO hopper. I only try new MMOs that speak to me or ones that are getting rave reviews. Im getting older and my time has become more precious
    [Deleted User]KyleranAlBQuirky
    Rhoklaw said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Only MMO this year I may try is CorePunk. They dont say much but what they have said has been awesome. Their policy is not say much and spend their money on making the game as fast as they can. The quest system looks awesome and the combat is slower, not twitch, its all about tactics. The range of play styles also looks awesome. 
    I had hopes for the game till I made it 1/2 way through the video only to find forced PvP was a core part of the game. I'm also not a huge fan of isometric and the speed of movement is less than desirable. Other than that, it looks very similar to Sea of Thieves where loot is only for upgrading appearance. If they add a cosmetic cash shop, then they'll have completely removed the only carrot on a stick they have.

I played Albion Online and it's ok but if I'm going to play a game with PvP in it at all, it has to be 3D for me. I just can't do PvP in isometric.
    Im not sure how "forced PvP" is a thing when thats what the game main design is about but if you dont like PvP. I would not play it as well. As for the slow movement, thats a key design. Everything is a little slower. So everything is about tactics. There will be movement buffs and mounts but they dont work in combat if I remember right. 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]YashaXKyleranfrancis_baudAlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Kyleran said:

In the case of a MMORPG, I always give it several hours and at least leave the newbie areas before I judge the game.

And I don't have early access on Crowfall, I am in the beta, I didn't pay a cent (and wouldn't have without the possibility to get a refund).
    Oh, OK, for me "extensively" is like 100 hours or a month of play, which ever comes first.

Which I'll admit to having done, I recall leveling a character to max level in Rift before deciding to walk away after about two months of play.

Probably only stuck it out because I fell for one of those cheap early preorder 6 month sub time deal and was trying to get my monies worth.

Other games I've quit usually with one or more characters in the early 30s, LotRO, ESO, and Aion (early 40s) to name a few.

But I was much younger back then, these days I don't play or even try many games, last year there was only two or three I think.

[Deleted User]YashaXNanfoodleAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I need to wait until the games are closer to release and then I'll investigate them properly.

At the moment, neither are of particular interest to me, but it's been a while since i reviewed them, so i'll need to catch up on developments before making a final decision.

With New World, I was intrigued by the original pitch. An alternative America in the 1700s, except all the folklore tales are true! Vampires, werewolves, spirits etc, combined with muskets. Sounded cool, all set in a sandbox world with a deep, player driven economy (they specifically mentioned being able to have wagons to transport your goods, and that being a catalyst for PvP).

However, when i played the alpha.....it sucked. That was before the big switch to being more PvE, but i'll be honest, I didn't even PvP in the alpha i was in as I rarely saw anyone and when i did, they were all much higher level. None of the original pitch for the game seemed to be in place. Main thing I hated was the combat, just very shallow and clunky. I also don't like the relatively low player caps per server, seems like they're setting themselves up for disappointment.

But, that was a couple of years ago now. So, i need to re-review it.

With Crowfall, lots of interesting ideas for the game, but I've never felt certain about how it's all going to come together. Plus I don't like action combat. However, the stated desire for large scale PvP, limited time RvR maps, and minimal vertical progression all sounds good to me. And they have centaurs!
    francis_baudAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited February 2021
    I still have high hopes for Crowfall, the studio has done a great job with improving performances (especially running on Unity engine) and the PvP is a lot of fun.

New World, not sure about this one, lot of design changes in the past years regarding PvP (I think they plan to limit the PvP to 50 vs 50 maximum?)
    ScotAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,975
    tzervo said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    tzervo said:
    Scot said:
    So which one will it be and why?
    Play the first one that actually releases. No point in waiting for something that might release that you might want to play when there is something that you can play already. When/if the other one also releases, you can do a comparo and reconsider. :)
    I used to play every major MMO that releases. I have enough older MMOs I like I play their new content and move on to the next one. Im no longer a new MMO hopper. I only try new MMOs that speak to me or ones that are getting rave reviews. Im getting older and my time has become more precious
    Yep, I agree. I am just saying it because Scot mentioned he is a one-MMO-only player and still considers these two. So my spidey sense says "homeless" :P
    I doubt I will join either until a few months after launch anyway, what gets released in a top notch ready to play state these days, MMO or any other gaming genre?

You are quite right I am MMO homeless, drifting around these forums with a pack of memories on my back looking for a place to call home. :)

I may go with an old guild if they decide to try one of them out, but so far there has only been murmurings nothing decided.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Neither MMO has caught my attention. I doubt I'll be playing them as they release.

I'm not sure, but I think the kickstarter MMO City of Titans (CoH successor?) may... may release this year, or at least starting beta testing. As you can tell, I'm not keeping up with it all :)
    [Deleted User]Nanfoodle[Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited February 2021
    I'll wait 4 months post launch for both games to see true feedback and health.  There are going to be a ton of ghost servers by then for NW and players begging for transfers.

Likely, I'll catch up on my huge backlog of single player games and play my go to MMOs causually.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyNanfoodle
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    I've played Crowfall, and it's a really good game, all things said and done. Not my flavor, but a great game for those that would enjoy that.

New World, meh. As I have seen it is, it is a surprisingly well made pile of directionless trash.
    francis_baudAlBQuirkyGdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited February 2021
    I'll wait 4 months post launch for both games to see true feedback and health.  There are going to be a ton of ghost servers by then for NW and players begging for transfers.

Likely, I'll catch up on my huge backlog of single player games and play my go to MMOs causually.

If I get 4+ months of fun out of a game that I've paid $40 for, it's already a win for me.

If you keep on waiting for the ideal MMO that will once again keep you entertained for 5+ years, then you're most likely wasting your time and going to never play another game...
    If it's dead after a few months, it's not a good MMORPG.  I'm not investing 60-100hrs of my time leveling a character to a dead end in a frustrating experience (or uninstalling after 20hrs and wasting money)... better games out there already.  Poor strawman.
    AlBQuirkyGdemami
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532

If I get 4+ months of fun out of a game that I've paid $40 for, it's already a win for me.

If you keep on waiting for the ideal MMO that will once again keep you entertained for 5+ years, then you're most likely wasting your time and going to never play another game...
    I am strangely ok with this.

If I need to keep wandering back to DDO after trying some other flash in the pan game, I'm cool with that scenario.

That is also why I am not looking that hard for anything else coming out. If something cool does come out that can suck me in and be the next place I can call home.. great.

If not, no loss.

Might call it vacation gaming, where I leave my main game for a bit, to see some new place, and then come back.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• elgenkabolelgenkabol Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Elyon MMORPG First Impressions "Is It Worth Playing?" - YouTube

Combat looks solid just depends on what they do with the cash shop. Also Lost Ark may be out this year depending on how fast amazon can get it published.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyfrancis_baud
    edited February 2021

If it's dead after a few months, it's not a good MMORPG.  I'm not investing 60-100hrs of my time leveling a character to a dead end in a frustrating experience (or uninstalling after 20hrs and wasting money)... better games out there already.  Poor strawman.

Every single second you invest in a game is lost for everything else anyway... I hope you realize that, right ? Playing a game = wasted, non constructive game. It's all virtual.

The only purpose is to have fun, and a game that gives me 4+ months of that is a good investment in my book.

PS: I invite you to revisit what "strawman" means ;)
    Yes strawman.  You state I'm looking for an ideal MMO that I can play for 5+ years.  Neither I said,  neither are true for me... all to deflect that I want to wait to see if they are buggy, content lite, mess of games that people abandon in droves like past failed MMORPG launches.

"Straw man
    is one type of logical fallacy. Straw man occurs when someone argues that a person holds a view that is actually not what the other person believes. ... So, instead of attacking the person's actual statement or belief, it is the distorted version that is attacked."
    ----

In terms of gaming time, mine is not unlimited... like my comment said, I have quality games that I can play that are vetted with reviews and players.   No reason not to let NW and Crowfall bake a few months... if they are great, they should be around... if they are abandoned that fast... they were terrible... and no, you likely did not enjoy your 4 months in that scenario.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyGdemami
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Having played both, both will equally fail on a principal of being good mmorpgs. Will there be players that play them? Yeah, but people play and advocate for Gw2. I belive both will be remembered as the half-assed attempts that they are.
    AlBQuirky

MurderHerd

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    Having played both, both will equally fail on a principal of being good mmorpgs. Will there be players that play them? Yeah, but people play and advocate for Gw2. I belive both will be remembered as the half-assed attempts that they are.
    What do you find is lacking (or badly executed) in CF and NW?
    AlBQuirky
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited February 2021
    Ungood said:
    I've played Crowfall, and it's a really good game, all things said and done. Not my flavor, but a great game for those that would enjoy that.

New World, meh. As I have seen it is, it is a surprisingly well made pile of directionless trash.

I think a problem for both games is related to what you said above: "a great game for those that would enjoy that". The key question being what exactly is "that". They both seem to suffer from something of an identity crisis, failing to offer anything better or as good as already released mmos in terms of pvp or pve. 

Personally I liked CF's classes and skills better than what NW offered, but sadly everything about the game is just so rough, disjointed, and barely functional.

AlBQuirky
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    edited February 2021
    I've been playing Crowfall through the various dev stages for five years or so.  It's not what I would call bad, but I get where the guy is coming from when he said it's just not their cup of tea.  I wanted to like this, but it's just not to my tastes.  I'll probably try New World because I like to try everything.  I'm not super excited, but it's mostly because I still don't understand what it is and why I should want to play.  The world seems cool, though.
    francis_baudUngoodAlBQuirky[Deleted User]Gdemami