Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$15 is to little, $25 is too much.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    BruceYee said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    What I've come to understand is there's nothing I can do with regards to CEO salaries, predatory pricing practices or crooked politicians, best to just stay out of their way and go about living my best life.

Cheers.
    I have to agree with this, however, what annoys me the most, is you see all these gamers cry bloody death at what games do to make money, crying about P2W, Lootboxes, Getcha, and all these other predatory practices, and then they turn around, in the same breath, and have the bare faced audacity to defend these game companies paying their CEO's millions.

Like ,,. do you all realize where they get their money? That's right, from you. So, to pay that one person millions, they need to find ways to get you to part with your money, while at the same time doing the absolute least they can to get it.

Makes me laugh, because I heard someone explain to me once that the biggest problem with Americans, is that regardless of how poor, and low they are on the social ladder, they all think they are a rich person waiting to happen, so they blindly defend this obscene wealth inequity system, dreaming about the day it will happen to them. This is vastly unlike many other nations where the people are not under such delusions, so in these other nations they don't support and abide by such vast wealth disparity. They realize there is a limit, often times they resolve the issue of unfettered greed by increasing taxes to the point that it becomes and issue of diminishing returns to make such ostentatious amounts of money.

In any case, as we can see, there are many here that do support any and all predatory actions of game companies.

It was personally rather enlightening to see how many actually do support the predatory antics. I would have thought there would have been less, given the often typical reactions to monetization happening in games, and that more of them would have come to realize they are facing these predatory monetized systems in games these days due to unabashed greed, not due to actual the cost of production or product. I suppose that was my own naivety in this discussion, as they have all made it rather clear, they have always understood the situation and support it.

In that front.. it is what it is.

You are spot on with many of your points but we are already past the point of no return. Pandora's box was opened, the toothpaste was squeezed out of the tube... we landed on Normandy beach and the 50 cal cash shop turrets are raining lead on us. We are the old geezers playing chess in the park complaining about $15 dollar subs while the younger generation drops thousands each month on mobile games without giving it much thought. The greedy game companies tasted that sweet sweet honey and will never ever stop until they drain every last cent from every person they can. No amount of forum crying or boycotting will ever make them change course cause for every person that stops paying there are hundreds who don't give af about it and continue on.
    Wow, this was some great lip service, but, this is not the way it works. You do not get to cry about "greedy game companies" when you are out there banging your drum that Bobby deserves his 30 million paycheck.

See, you're out here on these forums telling everyone that Bobby should get 30 Million Dollars, that this is justified, all that is right and good in the world, that he is being paid such and amount, and that you would pay him even more, you do NOT then out of the same breath and same topic get to try and fuss about the "Greedy Game Company" when you are defending the very person at the top of it.

Spare me.. now go off and start dumping your money into the greedy system that you support.
    Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Good job, guys. You got Delete banned again...
    Kyleran

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

edited February 2021
    I do understand how on an emotional level it can be frustrating. Jeff Bezos makes billions of dollars and he has employees working their butt off for minimum wage. Yes, i get it, it is tough to swallow, it almost doesn't seem right, like it is morally wrong. But it is just capitalism. 
    Jeff Bezos salary is 81,000 a year. I bet his paycheck is less than yours. All his massive wealth comes from his stock in the company, not from the companies earnings. This means, the company can invest it's money back into the company, not line the pockets of one employee. 

That is the way a good leader runs a company, and that is why I personally think someone like Bezos (Unlike Bobby) deserves every cent of his wealth, as he is earning it in a legitimate manner not taking it from his employees or the company coffers. His wealth is directly contingent upon the success of the company, so he remains invested into it's success. As such, unlike people like Bobby, and the cronies that support him, If he has to lay off employees, it is not to justify a massive multi-million dollar paycheck.
    GdemamiKyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

lahnmir said:
    Poor Delete, all he wanted to hear was that 20 bucks was the perfect price. Instead he got this trainwreck.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    and his avatar is red again too.. ::Sigh::

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Ungood said:

Wow, this was some great lip service, but, this is not the way it works. 
    I'm fairly certain that you don't get to decide the way it works.

GdemamiKyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

No, you don't get to praise the system and decry the system at the same time.

I mean.. I suppose you could if you want to discredit yourself and be a hypocrite.

But that's on you, on what you want to be.
    GdemamiKyleran

edited February 2021
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

I mean.. I suppose you could if you want to discredit yourself and be a hypocrite.

You seem to be a very black and white thinker so you don't seem to understand what is actually going on here (edited for snarkiness)

How someone is compensated is one topic. How the company then monetizes its products is another.

If Bobby Kotick got 100k a year and that's it and yet the game company used lootboxes and a cash shop to drive revenue then there would be no discussion about his compensation. 

The Discussion would solely be about the cash shop and loot box. But because the company he works for has decided his compensation should be 30 million suddenly you think the both are intertwined. And that his compensation should be lowered so you pay less. 

If Bobby Kotick kept costs down for the customers, did not use lootboxes but still made 30 million then would you say that his 30 million is justified?

1, Bobby Kotick makes a butt load of money and the company he works for is fine with that for now. If they weren't then he wouldn't get it.

2, How Bobby Kotick is compensated has nothing to do with anyone but the company and the shareholders.

3, Cash Shops and lootboxes are popular because they have been shown to make their respective companies a decent amount of money, in some cases more money than a sub.

4, Bobby Kotick would be a fool not to use them since his job is precisely to drive revenue for a company.

What would that discussion be? "Mr. Kotick you receive a very generous compensation package based on the success of our company but for some reason you have decided not to pursue revenue streams that would make our shareholders money."

The only way he wouldn't is if he felt following a different route would reap better financial rewards.

Post edited by Sovrath on
    GdemamiCryomatrix[Deleted User]

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Ungood said:

Let me clue you in.. their salary comes from YOUR money.
    Where else would it come from? I'm pretty sure that's universally known.

Sovrath
    edited February 2021
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

But you are a black and white, linear thinker so your opinion really doesn't mean much.

How someone is compensated is one topic. How the company then monetizes its products is another.

Gee thanks for the insult, not gonna stoop to your level on that one.

Instead, I'll just hold your hand as I explain to you that, As long as he getting a direct paycheck from the company, then his paycheck is directly generated by the sale of product. 

Now that should not be a shock to anyone, as that bit of info is like High School Economics where you should have been taught "Where does your paycheck come from" and everyone should know how that one works by the time they get their first job.

Given how some people act, it is apparent they missed that class.

I know guys working on site that failed high school that fully grasp how the system works, because they are very vested into knowing where their paycheck comes from.

Some of them call it the cycle of money, I always found that hilarious to be honest.

But at the end of the day, in case you were never taught this, everyone in the company from the top to the bottom gets paid from the same source, and that is from the sale of the product.

Now, in case that was too many words, let me say it easy:

How the company goes about getting the revenue to pay his salary is directly linked to their monetization system of their product.

That, is something we all should have known at a very early age in our development.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]

Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    I think you need to get it straight. In no way did I say he "needs" his 30 million. I did say he has the right to negotiate the compensation that he wants and the company has the righ to say yes, no or "here take this."

And I highly doubt you have ever seen me cry about cash shops. My stance has always been "if you want to spend money go ahead, if you don't want to spend money that's your right. If there is no way to play the game without spending extra money then that's your decision."

So following that, my stance has always been it's the players, companies, CEO's choices and you they can say yes or no.

It's about your choice. Choice to do it or walk away. 
    Cool, We have an Accord than.

Also, just gonna put this out, I see you complaining about a companies Predatory antics, I will be glad to remind you that Bobby needs his 30 Million Paycheck, and you support that.
    Dude, I've been on this site, I think since 2004. I have enough posts for most people to have seen them. 

I would bet very good money that there is not one person on this site who has ever seen a post of my complaining about cash shops, predatory practices, or anything even remotely related. My stance has always been that it's a person's choice to ...

Give to Kickstarters
    Use lootboxes
    spend on cash shops

As long as they know what they are doing. Which they should as I've had large discussions with people where I assert that if they give to a kickstarter then that's on them.

It's ALWAYS on them.

I also expect, given your response up there, that you will never play a video game if the upper level management makes millions as they don't deserve it right?
    LOL, My issue is with hypocrisy. Where people defend a CEO raking in millions and then cry and complain about how they go about earning that money with predatory systems in MMO's.

If you support the predatory system from top to bottom, then you have my respect of at least having your shit straight.

I had my shit straight for a long time now.

Why wouldn't people have contrasting views of the two.

The merit of a CEO's salary and the appropriateness of cash shops are two entirely different issues with no connection whatsoever. Accordingly, how one feels about one has absolutely no bearing on how that person feels of the other.

Your straight is pretty crooked on these issues.
    Kyleran
    edited February 2021
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    I think you need to get it straight. In no way did I say he "needs" his 30 million. I did say he has the right to negotiate the compensation that he wants and the company has the righ to say yes, no or "here take this."

And I highly doubt you have ever seen me cry about cash shops. My stance has always been "if you want to spend money go ahead, if you don't want to spend money that's your right. If there is no way to play the game without spending extra money then that's your decision."

So following that, my stance has always been it's the players, companies, CEO's choices and you they can say yes or no.

It's about your choice. Choice to do it or walk away. 
    Cool, We have an Accord than.

Also, just gonna put this out, I see you complaining about a companies Predatory antics, I will be glad to remind you that Bobby needs his 30 Million Paycheck, and you support that.
    Dude, I've been on this site, I think since 2004. I have enough posts for most people to have seen them. 

I would bet very good money that there is not one person on this site who has ever seen a post of my complaining about cash shops, predatory practices, or anything even remotely related. My stance has always been that it's a person's choice to ...

Give to Kickstarters
    Use lootboxes
    spend on cash shops

As long as they know what they are doing. Which they should as I've had large discussions with people where I assert that if they give to a kickstarter then that's on them.

It's ALWAYS on them.

I also expect, given your response up there, that you will never play a video game if the upper level management makes millions as they don't deserve it right?
    LOL, My issue is with hypocrisy. Where people defend a CEO raking in millions and then cry and complain about how they go about earning that money with predatory systems in MMO's.

If you support the predatory system from top to bottom, then you have my respect of at least having your shit straight.

I had my shit straight for a long time now.

Why wouldn't people have contrasting views of the two.

The merit of a CEO's salary and the appropriateness of cash shops are two entirely different issues with no connection whatsoever. Accordingly, how one feels about one has absolutely no bearing on how that person feels of the other.

Your straight is pretty crooked on these issues.
    Did you really just say these two things back to back?

Ungood said:

Let me clue you in.. their salary comes from YOUR money.
    Where else would it come from? I'm pretty sure that's universally known.

And you don't see the problem with the two things you just said.. no bells went off?

Well, just going to repeat myself, as it seems some people don't know where their paychecks come from.

Ungood said:
    I'll just hold your hand as I explain to you where paychecks come from, As long as he getting a direct paycheck from the company, then his paycheck is directly generated by the sale of product

Now that should not be a shock to anyone, as that bit of info is like High School Economics where you should have been taught "Where does your paycheck come from" and everyone should know how that one works by the time they get their first job.

Given how some people act, it is apparent they missed that class.

I know guys working on site that failed high school that fully grasp how the system works, because they are very vested into knowing where their paycheck comes from.

Some of them call it the cycle of money, I always found that hilarious to be honest.

But at the end of the day, in case you were never taught this, everyone in the company from the top to the bottom gets paid from the same source, and that is from the sale of the product.

Now, in case that was too many words, let me say it easy:

How the company goes about getting the revenue to pay his salary is directly linked to their monetization system of their product.

That, is something we all should have known at a very early age in our development.

Gdemami

lahnmir said:
    Poor Delete, all he wanted to hear was that 20 bucks was the perfect price. Instead he got this trainwreck.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I'm sure Delete is accustomed to his topics leading to anything else but agreement, and sooner or later discussion of,  his proposals.
    Cryomatrix
    Ungood said:

Gee thanks for the insult, not gonna stoop to your level on that one.

Hey I realized it was snarky and insulting so changed it. It's not my intent to insult you but I find you rigid and your thought process to also be rigid.
    Ungood

Ungood said:

So if he only made 100k then his salary woudln't be an issue correct? Your sticking point is that there are loot boxes and that the company thinks he deserves more.

So, again, if he made 30 million but if he didn't implement loot boxes then you would have a problem with whatever he implemented. Subs, or whatever.

edited February 2021
    I am still staggered by this.. I had not one.. but two people tell me.

That they understand that these multi-million dollar paychecks for CEO's comes from the sale of the product, but don't see how that affects the monetization of the product.

Wow.. I mean just wow.

Added:

Ok.. well I would say that is my sign that this discussion is pretty much done for me. yah.. Just gonna let this one go.

If someone needs to hear they won.. alright, you won.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]

• ChampieChampie Member UncommonPosts: 168
    olepi said:
    For example, in 1980, I bought computer systems for Motorola. A 300 mb disk was the size of a washing machine and cost $15,000 in 1980 dollars. Today, you can buy 10 times that much for $100.
    1 TB SSD for $100 in 2021.

That's 3500x the storage capacity, and a 500% increase in Speed. Both quantitatively and qualitatively superior for a FRACTION of the cost to meet extraordinarily higher demands while delivering excellent performance.

Did you get the same results from your College Education, Health Services Providers, Real Estate Purchase, 401k? That's where the inflation is.
    Ungood said:

That they understand that these multi-million dollar paychecks for CEO's comes from the sale of the product, but don't see how that affects the monetization of the product.

Wow.. I mean just wow.

Added:

Ok.. well I would say that is my sign that this discussion is pretty much done for me. yah.. Just gonna let this one go.

Answer my questions and stop stalling.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Right all he is asking is the perfect game....is that too much to ask?
    SovrathUngood
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Right all he is asking is the perfect game....is that too much to ask?
    I could argue that many here are, indirectly, contrary to Delete, are asking for that exact same thing  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Ungood
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

Wow.. I mean just wow.

Added:

Answer my questions and stop stalling.
    Ok.. I am not trying to be mean, and I even tried to just say "you win" or whatever.

But there is an old saying. "Never argue with a fool, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

And no joke, legit, after reading what you have said, about not realizing how unabashed greed affects the monetization system of a product.

I just can't get down to your level to even fight you.. so.. take your win and strut around like the chicken on the chessboard, or whatever.
    Gdemami

edited February 2021
    Wargfoot said:
    Ungood said:

And no joke, legit, after reading what you have said, about not realizing how unabashed greed affects the monetization system of a product.
    I'll admit that the connection there seems to me a bit tenuous.

• To call the CEOs paycheck greed means we'd need to establish that she didn't earn it.  Not paying a gal 30 million per month, when she is worth it, would also be greedy.
    • Greed could be expressed by a $15 per month sub when the company could be fine with $12 per month.  So greed might impact how much money they need to make but I don't think the method used to collect the money is impacted.  That is, I don't think greed necessitates loot boxes.
    • I'd say loot boxes have more to do with the greed of players who are somehow convinced that 30 cents per hour is just too damn much to pay for entertainment. 
    So I don't think I can agree that 30 million = Greed = Loot boxes. 
    You may not have been saying that tho.

I think a much stronger case could be made for bad monetization being the fault of player greed.

In either case, all the respect - I'm not warging on anyone here.

NOTES
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    1: Puns for teh win.

You get the golden awesome and very well said.

Wargfoot said:
    Ungood said:

I'll admit that the connection there seems to me a bit tenuous.

To call the CEOs paycheck greed means we'd need to establish that she didn't earn it.  Not paying a gal 30 million per month, when she is worth it, would also be greedy.
    LOL, lets play with this a bit.

The richest man in the world, Elon Musk, valued at 197 Billion Dollars, received $23,000 a year in TOTAL compensations from his company. To grasp that, that includes things like a company car, bonus, all of that combined, was 23,000 dollars, not million, 23 thousand, and that is his fixed salary, he gets absolutely nothing else on the company dime. All His vaunted wealth is all from Stock in the company that he runs.

Richest Man in the World, Salary+Compensation  23 thousand, company worth, 800 Billion.

The Second Richest Man in the World, Jeff Bezos, valued at 188 billion, is paid a salary of 81,000 and received a total compensation package from his company of 1.6 million. His vaunted wealth is all from the stocks he owns in the company he runs.

Second Richest man in the World, Salary+Compensation  1.6 million, company worth 1.7 trillion.

Those guys are kind of over the top, lets not use them. Lets use more Human CEO's.

Like say,

Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft, Salary+Compensation 44 Million, Company worth, 1 Trillion.

Kim Taek-Jin CEO of NcSoft,  Salary+Compensation 11 Million, Company worth 204 Billion USD.

Now lets have a look at Bobby Kotick,  Salary+Compensation 31 million, company worth 12 billion.

Now, I could be alone in this.. but I don't think Bobby Kotick is worth 18 times what Bezo's is getting, or even 3 times what Kim is getting.. but.. hey.. that is just me. I could be wrong.
    Gdemami

edited February 2021