Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your first computer game? First MMO?

olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
Thought it might be fun to hear about the first computer game people played.

The first computer game I played was in 1977. I was a sysadmin for a UNIX/ARPANET PDP11 machine, and we got the Fortran source to a game called "Adventure". It was basically Zork. I remember reading the source to cheat. :)

In 1980, we got a Star Trek game on the UNIX machine that had ascii type graphics. You could shoot klingons, romulans, and tow in nubian freighters. It was done in real time, with moving graphics and effects, still in characters.

My first MMO was DAOC, back in 2001. Still the most PvP fun I ever had.

------------
2024: 47 years on the Net.

[Deleted User]francis_baudScotMendellaserit

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    My first true mmo was shadowbane I think.  Had so much fun.
    francis_baud

I self identify as a monkey.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    PC? King's Quest 4. A friend up the street had a computer and we played this and Leisure Suit Larry. (We were dirty little kids)
    Groqstrongdragonlee66

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    I suppose my first computer game was pong.

First game that actually got me into playing games was Myst. Up until that point, and besides my old atari in High School, I just enjoyed watching a friend play warcraft and doom.

First mmorpg was Lineage 2.

"Technically it was Shadowbane for 15 minutes but I couldn't get a hang of the controls so that was that.
    francis_baud
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited February 2021
     Richard Garriots Akalabeth ...   came in a sandwich bag with instructions typed on an index card https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akalabeth:_World_of_Doom

At the same time Temple of Apshai from Epyx .. which can be gotten on Steam now ..

First multi player game was some MUDS thru Quantum Link on my C-64 in 82...

MMO would be AOL Neverwinter ..

Then UO in 97 where i have stayed for 23 years now ..

Post edited by Scorchien on
    PalebaneMendel
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Do not remember the games i played but they were on 5 1/4 disks...

First MMO, I guess you could call it that,  was LOK ( Legends of Kesmai) .

Was a game that was in beta before UO came out. Then moved to UO and all the rest since.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    My first computer game was Fallout and my first MMO was Everquest.
    Chamber of Chains
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    edited February 2021
    First PC game: Tribes.   First MMORPG: Everquest

Joined - July 2004

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Sovrath said:

First game that actually got me into playing games was Myst. Up until that point, and besides my old atari in High School, I just enjoyed watching a friend play warcraft and doom.

"Technically it was Shadowbane for 15 minutes but I couldn't get a hang of the controls so that was that.
    Same Pong was my first game and L2 was my first mmorpg.  What server did you play on?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Sovrath said:

Same Pong was my first game and L2 was my first mmorpg.  What server did you play on?

Hindemith! Great server for a very long time.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Can't remember specifically what my first computer game was, but it was one of the following:

Lemmings - PC
    War in Middle Earth - PC
    Bruce Lee - ZX Spectrum
    Skate or Die! - ZX Spectrum

My Dad got our first PC and the ZX spectrum around the same sort of time ('90 or '91) and I was pretty young, so not sure what came first for sure, but these are the four i remember most strongly.

First MMORPG was SWG in 2003.
  • dragonlee66dragonlee66 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    First pc game one of the Police Quest games
    The first MMO was The Shadow of Yserbius

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

Nice i played on Sieghardt.
    Sovrath
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited February 2021
    Commodore 64 Load Runner

EQ1 played launch day

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Runescape was my first MMO. No idea what my first PC game was. Probably some educational shit.
    Sovrath
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    edited February 2021
    First game I ever played was PONG.  Yup.. PONG.
    First RPG was probably Telengard on the C-64  (unless Hunt the Wumpus counts)
    First MMO would be Kingdom of Drakkar

There were some others before like The Realm but Drakkar was the first one that I played where we had guilds.  It even had permadeath in some instances. 

Best online game ever was Fireteam.  It was an E-sport game with full voice chat that was just years ahead of it's time.  It had multiple game modes, a clan system, kept stats that you could look up on a website.  It even shipped with a headset. I was lucky enough to be one of the first few people to test the game due to the fact I had tested TerraNova which was programmed by Fireteam's Director. It was amazing.  Just a few years too early.  There is a great 4 page "Postmortem" by the game's Director here

Nanfoodle

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited February 2021
    Game: Pong

MMORPG: Ultima Online
    TwistedSister77

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    My first computer game was Jovian Wars.  I played it in 1979 on an aircraft carrier, using a coworkers PC that he paid about a third of a year's pay for.  Never saw him again, but it was the game that hooked me...

First MMORPG was City of Heroes.  I had a chip on my shoulder after Everquest stole my entire Tribes clan except 3 people, so I resisted until City of Heroes because it was SUPERHEROES, MAN!!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Took me a while and some google searches to refresh my memory.
    My first game ever on some form of PC was some unknown horse racing game shown to me by some dude from China.Was played on a TRS-80 and interested me because he was showing me how to hack the game through the ROM.

All of my gaming began around the time of the Commodore and Amiga and TRS-80 and then some unknown PC i had back then that cost me a LOT of money.

So it all started around 78-81.

First real play time within a MMO is easily FFXi.I do remember entering a couple others like EQ1 but left just as quickly as I entered.
    It's funny because two things brought back  memories when trying to figure out how it all started.

One was APBA baseball games on floppy discs.I was literally stunned to find out that business started way back in the 30's WTF !!.

The other crazy thing was the Commodore,we all remember the Commo 64 but that business started way back in 1958 in a nearby city of Toronto Ontario.You think computers you auto think California or the USA or maybe even Britain but not Toronto Canada lol.
    SO there is my museum of gaming past.

Palebane

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    The first computer game I remember to have played is Age of Empires, probably in 1998.

My first MMO was Knight Online, released in North America in 2004. I started playing I think in 2005.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I have two that I bought at the same time: a table top war game simulation, Eastern Front, and an RPG, Temple of Apshai.

My first MMO was Asheron's Call which I played until DAoC came out and I moved over to that one.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    First game I ever played was PONG.  Yup.. PONG.
    First RPG was probably Telengard on the C-64  (unless Hunt the Wumpus counts)
    First MMO would be Kingdom of Drakkar

There were some others before like The Realm but Drakkar was the first one that I played where we had guilds.  It even had permadeath in some instances. 

Best online game ever was Fireteam.  It was an E-sport game with full voice chat that was just years ahead of it's time.  It had multiple game modes, a clan system, kept stats that you could look up on a website.  It even shipped with a headset. I was lucky enough to be one of the first few people to test the game due to the fact I had tested TerraNova which was programmed by Fireteam's Director. It was amazing.  Just a few years too early.  There is a great 4 page "Postmortem" by the game's Director here

I remember playing on the units that only had pong, a console with one built in game lol
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    First PC game was probably Oregon Trail back in the old days in elementary school.

First mmo was Everquest.
    Palebane
  • SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    PC - Sentinel Worlds. Played that game a ton. Had characters that looked like Arnold and Sigourney Weaver. 

MMO - Asheron’s Call 2. I came into MMOs late even though I had a decent computer. The rumors of them taking all your time (ie EQ) kept me away. 
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited February 2021
    Where In the World Is Carmen San Diego? on an Apple at school circa 1985. Still remember the flying dagger.

First MMO was EQ just before the Kunark expansion.
    francis_baud

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    First pc game: pitfall on an old 5.25” floppy disk
    First pc mmo: Ultima Online
    5 1/4 floppy? That was a luxury for an Atari system in 1980-81. The base storage was audio tape that could only be read/written sequentially. The optional floppy was an additional $400 back in those days.
    Sovrath[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED