Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$15 is to little, $25 is too much.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Aeander said:
    No thanks. The subscription model doesn't work because $15/mo is too much. For one game. That's more than a Netflix subscription. That's almost as much as Gamepass. For one game. And multiple games in this genre want to charge a subscription, basically making them mutually exclusive to most players. And then they double dip on selling you the content (that your subscription should be paying for) with expansions. And then they triple dip on selling you the content (that your subscription should be paying for) with cash shops.

It does nothing for you anymore, and when the model fails, I'll say good riddance.
    The subscription model is egalitarian as it allows for everyone to pay the exact same thing for the same content (unless there is an additional cash shop of course).

Otherwise you have the whales who are paying for the game. Then "great" not only is the financial health of the game dependent on a small group of people who may leave at any time but the developers are then beholden to that small group in order to keep them happy and paying.

Many people have choices as far as how they spend their money. You can have several more cups of coffee per month or your sub.

Can't afford to sub to 5 games? Well then cut something else out.

Or don't sub to 5 games play one or two games per month in earnest.

Playing the other side, I wonder if lowering to $10 per month would make it more palatable and lower the bar for more people.

GdemamiIselin[Deleted User]Brainy
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    No thanks. The subscription model doesn't work because $15/mo is too much. For one game. That's more than a Netflix subscription. That's almost as much as Gamepass. For one game. And multiple games in this genre want to charge a subscription, basically making them mutually exclusive to most players. And then they double dip on selling you the content (that your subscription should be paying for) with expansions. And then they triple dip on selling you the content (that your subscription should be paying for) with cash shops.

It does nothing for you anymore, and when the model fails, I'll say good riddance.
    The subscription model is egalitarian as it allows for everyone to pay the exact same thing for the same content (unless there is an additional cash shop of course).

Otherwise you have the whales who are paying for the game. Then "great" not only is the financial health of the game dependent on a small group of people who may leave at any time but the developers are then beholden to that small group in order to keep them happy and paying.

Many people have choices as far as how they spend their money. You can have several more cups of coffee per month or your sub.

Playing the other side, I wonder if lowering to $10 per month would make it more palatable and lower the bar for more people.

It really isn't egalitarian. I can just as easily say that, just like battle passes, the model offers unequal value based on available time. Two players spend $15/month. Player A has 100 hours per month to play. Player B has 10 hours per month. Player A gets a $0.15/hour value. Player B gets a $1.50/hour value. Nothing egalitarian about that.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Sovrath said:

Maybe, but what would that lower fee come along with? I expect a cash shop with intrusiveness somewhere between those or current subscription and f2p games.

As an aside, Daybreak has a an annual subscription that works out to $10 a month, and it grants access to four games: EQ, EQ2, DCUO, and Planetside 2.

That's a lot of subscription for the money, though each game comes with separate expansion costs so it would possibly be difficult to fully utilize them all.
    SovrathUngood[Deleted User]
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:

It really isn't egalitarian. I can just as easily say that, just like battle passes, the model offers unequal value based on available time. Two players spend $15/month. Player A has 100 hours per month to play. Player B has 10 hours per month. Player A gets a $0.15/hour value. Player B gets a $1.50/hour value. Nothing egalitarian about that.
    It's egalitarian as far as monthly cost.

If a player wants to play more or less well that's up to them and a completely different topic.

Because if you want to break it down like that then cash shops have the potential to be unbalanced as well.

I think it just comes down to some people trying to pay the barest minimum if anything at all and screaming that they can't continue to do that.

SandmanjwKyleranIselin[Deleted User][Deleted User]

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Sovrath said:

Maybe, but what would that lower fee come along with? I expect a cash shop with intrusiveness somewhere between those or current subscription and f2p games.

As an aside, Daybreak has a an annual subscription that works out to $10 a month, and it grants access to four games: EQ, EQ2, DCUO, and Planetside 2.

That's a lot of subscription for the money, though each game comes with separate expansion costs so it would possibly be difficult to fully utilize them all.
    A great value on the surface, but all of those are very old games that get questionable support.
    [Deleted User]
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    edited February 2021
    I was reading this, and thinking that I didn't stop paying a sub till around 2015, when I was playing GW2, and I was so upset about HoT, that I didn't buy my normal $20, it was the first time that was like... Eh.. Nahh.

TBH, I also stopped playing about a month later. Returned for PoF, played for a few months, but also.. didn't spend any money on the store, It was odd, I opened up the store and was like.. Meh.. nahh.  and while I have an off again on again relationship with GW2, since HoT, I just don't feel any drive or urge to really buy anything. 

I mean, I kept to my convictions and bought all the Living World packs that I didn't already own.. but that was me, standing by my ideals, I still have not played them.. so there is that minor problem as well.

I am 100% sure that if they asked for a Sub, I never would have returned to buy the PoF expansion, and just deleted it from my computer, like I have many other games.

Same with DDO. I Burn out and take breaks, often when I return, if they have not made the game a bigger dumpster fire, which, sadly, is a crap shot, because, for as good as they game system is, I  have been informed that the Dev team is, ummm.. let me try to put a positive twist on that, the Dev team is honest enough to come forth and admitted they lack the ability, skills and talent to fix the vast majority of their processing problems with them game, so, kudos for their honesty at least, anyway, if they have not set something else on fire in the game, I often will try to find something to buy, otherwise.. I get a reminder of why I have an On Again/ Off Again, relationship with DDO as well.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Back then server costs and admin were legit to a company and cut into the $15.  Today's tech and competition, the cost structure is much lower and the company can keep more of the $15.

So it doesn't scale with individual players like it once did.

I agree with Wizardry, a BOP is not enough for a AAA mmorpg experience.  I personally like the ESO model (I sub).  $15 or BOP + cashshop is acceptable choices. 

Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:

A great value on the surface, but all of those are very old games that get questionable support.

It's a great value for anyone that wants to play those games, who I expect already know that most of them are pretty old.

I don't pay much attention to everything that comes out for them, but both Everquest games seem to get expansions pretty often.

That they are still marketable to that degree I find pretty interesting, along with other older MMORPGs that continue to bring in money.
    Blizzard CEO, Bobby Kotick, is paid 30 Million.
    ESO, Director, Matt Firor, made 8.5 Million.

So.. Obviously.. 15 a month is more than enough to pay all the bills and give their Dude in Charge a several million dollar paycheck.
    delete5230Gdemami[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited February 2021
    Ungood said:

So.. Obviously.. 15 a month is more than enough to pay all the bills and give their Dude in Charge a several million dollar paycheck.
    Looking at those numbers I would say Bobby is underpaid, considering he overseas a stable of successful games while Matt's just a director in charge of one game?
    GdemamiBrainy

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

Looking at those numbers I would say Bobby is underpaid, considering he overseas a stable of successful games while Matt's just a director in charge of one game?
    Reality is, both, Bobby and Matt, are vastly overpaid.

When you consider that, Kim Taek-Jin, the CEO of NcSoft, that owns GW2, as well as Aion, Linage, Linage II, Blade & Soul and a slew of other games, with a vast mobile game presence, is only paid 11 Million.

Which, some might argue is what is wrong with America. But, regardless of your view on that.

If they can pay 1 person that level of stupid amounts of money.. $15 a month is asking too much if you ask me.
    Gdemami

Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

When you consider that, Kim Taek-Jin, the CEO of NcSoft, that owns GW2, as well as Aion, Linage, Linage II, Blade & Soul and a slew of other games, with a vast mobile game presence, is only paid 11 Million.

Which, some might argue is what is wrong with America. But, regardless of your view on that.

If they can pay 1 person that level of stupid amounts of money.. $15 a month is asking too much if you ask me.

That doesn't make any sense.

They are under no obligation to charge less and take away the rate that these people negotiated. They want x person then they are going to have to pay that person what they want.

I can't see many companies saying "let's charge our customers less by lowering our employee salaries."

Gdemami

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Camelot Unchained plans to have cheaper monthly sub than traditional MMORPGs. Crowfall has optional monthly sub (VIP).

Overall I think that paying $15 per month for +75 hours of enjoyment is pretty cheap (compared to $30 for 3 hours of ski, or $20 for 2 hours of cinema).
    Ski and cinema is next, if we continue to print money.

Gambling will be on the upswing, odd way get out of money problems, but it's what people do. 

$15 for all that game time is cheap, but why are people now complaining even without box price ?....... 2004 no one complained.

2004 there was no other option......
    BruceYee
    Ungood said:

You can't simply take the salaries of two executives from two companies and make a straight comparison. There are a host of factors involved that come into play at that level of employment. The level of responsibility is vastly different to say the least.
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

People are worth the salary they can command, as is evidenced by their employer being willing to pay them that much for their services.

It's not just like anyone can fill these senior positions, or that those qualified perform at a homogeneous level. For those thought worth it demand for their services drives up the cost just like anything else in short supply.
    Kyleran
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

They are under no obligation to charge less and take away the rate that these people negotiated. They want x person then they are going to have to pay that person what they want.

I can't see many companies saying "let's charge our customers less by lowering our employee salaries."

Sure it does.

If they have the money to spare to pay Bobby 30 Million, they are making more than enough off their 15 a month, and in fact, IMHO, too Much as it were, if they can toss out 30 million so frivolously on one employee.
    IselinTheocritusGdemami[Deleted User]

Ungood said:

You can't simply take the salaries of two executives from two companies and make a straight comparison. There are a host of factors involved that come into play at that level of employment. The level of responsibility is vastly different to say the least.
    If they are making so much money that they can pay 1 person 30 Million a year, they are making more than enough off their 15/month sub.

That is a Mic Drop.

When they have to cut the CEO's salary in half, then they can come cry to me that they are not making enough, as long as they can foot insane numbers like 8 million and 30 million for a single executive.. they making too much already.

Now, 30 Million for Bobby, and yet this is the guy that signed off firing 800 employees after a banner year.

To really grasp that, the Median Income in America is 31K a year, that means, 800 employees would be less then Bobby's paycheck, and he would still have roughly 5 million left to blow.

Gdemami

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

Sure it does.

If they have the money to spare to pay Bobby 30 Million, they are making more than enough off their 15 a month, and in fact, IMHO, too Much as it were, if they can toss out 30 million so frivolously on one employee.
    Remember Jesse Ventura, the wrestler and former governor of Minnesota?

He said something considered downright heretical to those of the capitalist faith: that there should be a maximum wage. The commie, pinko gall!

Interesting idea, though. 

Gdemami[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

Sure it does.

He said something considered downright heretical to those of the capitalist faith: that there should be a maximum wage. The commie, pinko gall!

I don't believe there should be a cap.. but don't cry to me your company is not making enough and you need to lay off employees when you can dump 30 million on one employee.
    Gdemami

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ungood said:
    Iselin said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

Sure it does.

I don't believe there should be a cap.. but don't cry to me your company is not making enough and you need to lay off employees when you can dump 30 million on one employee.
    But they don't cry about it. They just quietly go about the business of making ever increasing amounts of money.

They don't need to cry because they have legions of devoted fans that do the crying for them.
    UngoodGdemami[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    "Now, 30 Million for Bobby, and yet this is the guy that signed off firing 800 employees after a banner year."

Better to fire him and keep the 800...The workers are what make these companies go, not the executives.

UngoodGdemami
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Ungood said:

Blizz makes more soley from Hearthstone(mobile).

Not sure where you're getting the the "15 a month" cause have you seen their cash shops?

That pay for the amount of overhead they have/company worth 'relatively' is not a completely unreasonable amount of money.

My boss makes 2 million a year and we are a 25 person non-publically traded business...

In other news... Gamigo just bought KingsIsle...
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

If they are making so much money that they can pay 1 person 30 Million a year, they are making more than enough off their 15/month sub.

That is a Mic Drop.

When they have to cut the CEO's salary in half, then they can come cry to me that they are not making enough, as long as they can foot insane numbers like 8 million and 30 million for a single executive.. they making too much already.

Now, 30 Million for Bobby, and yet this is the guy that signed off firing 800 employees after a banner year.

To really grasp that, the Median Income in America is 31K a year, that means, 800 employees would be less then Bobby's paycheck, and he would still have roughly 5 million left to blow.

A mic drop?! That was convincing.

I'm sure their negotiated salaries will be tossed out immediately and their compensation will be adjusted in accordance with your analysis.

The only thing I need to grasp is people are worth whatever others are willing to pay them. They wouldn't be paid that if their employers didn't feel it so.
    Kyleran
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    "Now, 30 Million for Bobby, and yet this is the guy that signed off firing 800 employees after a banner year."

Better to fire him and keep the 800...The workers are what make these companies go, not the executives.

False. In the business world, CEO's are paid for the direction they take the company in. Those 800 employees are above average you get how many million dollars more?

Your CEO makes the right choice at the right time to capitalize on the marker and blizzard makes how many billion dollars more??
    KyleranBrainy
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    Iselin said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

Sure it does.

It wouldn't work out well. Those that can demand wages over the cap would simply relocate to areas where that artificial limit isn't in place. Such individuals tend to be in high demand and thus fairly mobile.

Those that can't relocate in that manner for whatever reason will simply not bother striving beyond the cap as there is no motive to do so, resulting in the missallocation of those with the potential to do, and thus earn, more.

Price caps, like any other economic constraint, always lead to market inefficiencies, which always lead to issues in the long-term if not short.

Such can be interesting to consider in academics, but in a reality are just plain stupid.
    IselinGdemamiSandmanjwKidRisk