Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon blew 2 Billion failing to make an MMO.. Soo. If you had 2 Billion, what would you make?

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Ungood said:
    Quick Note:

The money is being invested into making a Game, not given to you as a person.

So I am guessing buying the building and land where the game is to be made is part of making the game? If that's the case I am buying a tropical island and hiring 100 of the most beautiful women on that island as my "devs"....We might make the worst game ever but it will be paradise.
    [Deleted User]Ungood[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • ghrendel7ghrendel7 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    you blued yourself.
    UngoodAlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    To everyone that would take the money and run.. you are no longer allowed to piss and moan about any Kickstarter taking your money and running.. Just saying, you reap what you sow.

[Deleted User]iixviiiixAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Have they failed ? I wasn't aware of the cancellation of the project yet...
    New World, as I heard was put on indefinite hold due to it being racist or something.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

I'd make a highly interactive world full of mystery and events based on an expansive and deep, multi-layered Lore. 

It would be a Fantasy world.
    Sandbox, so players are free to "go anywhere" in order to explore and discover, full of hidden artifacts, lost magic and other knowledge, and with mysteries and intrigue of a long term and open world nature. 

Many skills, and stats that can also function like skills (pushing heavy objects, agility uses, etc.). 

Materials used to make things (ores, herbs, all natural resources) would have a lot of unknown mixtures and formulas waiting to be discovered by player who experiment, often requiring unusual methods, and there would be very subtle hints about some of this in tomes, ancient artifacts, and elsewhere. 

The stars and planets would have a major effect on magical creations, star alignment, constellation location and angles, etc. 

Too much else to explain. 
    This sounds pretty cool! 

finefluff said:
    I would buy the rights to a bunch of old shutdown mmos and bring them online again. Some that I can think of off the top my head are Asheron's Call 1 and 2, Star Wars Galaxies, Warhammer Online, Vanguard. There are probably other goods ones too. I never played any of these games, but I think it would make a lot of people happy and be fun to do.

I would make changes of course. I would update the game engines to utilize the latest technology and add high quality graphics while staying true the original art style. There would be some changes to the game design too.

Making changes would be controversial, but the goal would be to remain true to the original vision of the game while making adjustments so that all aspects of the game "work" and have a purpose. For example, there are probably some mechanics or systems that were ignored by players because they were useless or a waste of time. It could also be that some aspects of the game interfere with the pacing and social experience in a negative way. Some game systems may no longer even be feasible with the way people play today (mass communication and access to information). Some changes will probably be necessary.

The games will not be released on their first or last patch, but as something that brings out the best of what they were.

There seems to be a consensus among players of when a game was in it's "prime" and which updates "ruined it." I would have an experienced and knowledgeable team of designers and researchers look into what made each game great, where it's potential lies, what made people love them, and what were the highs and lows over the game's lifespan. This team would ideally include people who worked on the original game and people who played it both extensively and also casually. Then, we would make changes to the games to correct the "flaws" while still remaining true to the spirit of what made the game great. There is subjectivity here, but I think the keywords we would keep in mind are : player agency, freedom, responsibility, consequence, and connection.

Since all these would be released under our company we could offer an all access subscription or maybe a $10 - $15 subscription for one game and then $5 extra for every additional game. There would be no cash shop, not a even cosmetic one, but some services may be offered with limitations (e.g., name change).

These mmos would be released as "complete" barring any fixes that need to be made after launch. We wouldn't want to keep updating them and "mess them up" again. But then again, maybe players would like content updates even to these old games. Maybe there would be a team of content designers for each game to add events and regular updates. GMs would also be hired to play a prominent role of banning boters and interacting with players. This could include role-playing or large scale PVE and PVP events.

Or maybe instead of doing all that, I just buy the rights and assets and make it all open source and let everyone else take care of it. :lol:
    This sounds Epic, all things said and done.

edited February 2021
    remsleep said:
    Ungood said:

I think with 2 Billion, I would be able to pull this off very easy.

I think you'd be surprised how actually difficult it is - and money is not even the barrier as clearly demonstrated by Amazon and many major internal project failures at Blizzard (Titan) for example who at the time had pretty much the best devs in the world. 

Pulling off a complex MMO is near impossible - because it's not just a bunch of features and mechanics thrown together - people always have this "a la carte" approach - when the most important thing is getting all features to fit well and make a cohesive game - that is the impossible part as you keep adding more and more features, the cohesiveness of the game starts to fall apart.

As I said, the key point is all things need to fit, which lets be honest, that is why these games all need a leader, that one person who sees the whole project, lets call them them "Vision™"

In this little post, you are the visionary.. so what do you make.

As for what I put out, knowing it's not as easy as it sounds to just cobble things together, that is why, as I thought about some features I may have liked, I need to make calls on how they would fit into the overall picture, like for example, I like GW2 crafting over DDO's, but since I was going to use DDO's Gear System, I would need to use a crafting system that worked with that kid of set up, which GW2's system would not do. So I had thought about that, and how things would fit and connect. Which is why I went with DDO's, and not GW2, Trove, EQ's, or anyone else. As I explained, DDO has a very unique gear system that works with it's combat system, so, it becomes more a package deal, which is a part of these kinds of kitbashes, know what fits. In this case, the crafting systems of other games do not blend well with DDO's gear system.

Also, far as World Maps go, as I said, I loved GW2's system, but I also positively loved Trove's fully destructible voxel worlds, and while Trove had some solutions to destructible worlds to stop players from trolling too much, like for example, some areas were protected, and thus not destructible, Cornerstone Stops could not be destroyed, as well as starting areas. They also had it set up so that the worlds were not persistent, they randomly generated. I am not sure how well that would work with a Open World that functioned like GW2.

So that could be a stumbling block for me, but truth is, if it became an issue, I would simply remove the Voxel World system from the Open World, and keep it to Club/Private Instances. That would be a case of knowing when to call it, and where the effort does not meet the reward.

Added:

Also the reason why I would not try to reinvent the wheel and use features from existing games, is so that as I was trying to explain a feature or idea to my design/programing team, I could have them go play the game I was talking about and see how it works, first hand, in real time, so there was no confusion about what I am talking about or what I want done.

Which I think would go a long way to getting things done faster and more accurately. 

Kinda like how when I am on site, and I pull out my phone and show people a picture of what I want done, it gets the point across better then words ever could, I imagine having my build team play the games I was talking about would have the same effect.

Post edited by Ungood on
    GdemamiAlBQuirky

Alright. Thought about this a bit more, talked with some friends.

Character Selection: I would use Trove's system where you have a base account, ergo, you log in with one name as the character you logged out as, and can just swap between characters on the fly (OOC of course) as you play. For anyone that has not played Trove, this means you have a Character Select Box, that looks like an inventory panel, that you can bring up, that shows you every character you have available to you, and no matter where you are, you can just click the character you want to play at that moment, and swap that easy, no log out, nothing, just quick swap. If you were playing your Max Leveled Candy Barb, in full Celestial gear, in the middle of the Daughter of the Moon, and wanted to swap to your level 6 Dino Tamer, you could, right there. Really cool feature.

Leveling: Ok, I would use GW2's fast First Life Leveling system, where the Cap stayed the cap, because I think that lends itself well to an introductory game, even in DDO, first life leveling is fast and easy, so, this would work well, overall for most game designs. Since I really like DDO's TR System, I would integrate DDO's TR system into Trove's character select system. I am not 100% sure how I would make that happen, but this is something I would make happen. Ideally, your first character would be like a 1st life toon, costing very little to level up, after that, your 2nd character would be like a 2nd life toon, costing around 2x as much exp as a first life toon, and then a 3rd life toon costs 3x Exp to level, and then have this crap around a 6th life toon. If I used GW2 system of being able to bank EXP through Leveling Tomes, this would still be super easy for the people that like to grind.

Combat Part 2: I would use BDO's, Combat Combinations, they could really well with DDO's combat system, so that would be a really nice mix of things, to make for some truly epic combat.

Game Play: Ideally, while Open World would be like GW2, where you just recover when out of combat, once you went into instance content, IE: Dungeons/Raids, it would function like DDO, where the game was about resource and risk management. 

Dungeons: I would use DDO dungeon designs, as well as their difficulty settings, and Reward Systems, but again, I would use GW2 Scale Down system, so that anyone could do dungeons together.

Game Store: Ideally, I would use DDO's system of selling Adventure Packs, as well as Races, Classes, and Account Upgrades, as well as Expansions, offering a ViP (Sub) that would include all Non-Expansion content, as well as some Expansion content, like VIP would get access to all Races and Classes, regardless of source. I would use DDO's favor System to unlock some account upgrades, that could alternately be bought in the store.

Adventuring Supplies: Would be things like: Resurrection Orbs, Armor/Gear Repair Station, Mini-Rest Camp, and the like, because again, the idea is risk/resource management, so the store would sell items in the event you botched some of your assessments.. LOL.

Ideally the whole point of the store would be to sell account upgrades, content, and in some cases, needed adventuring supplies for when players make mistakes.. LOL, not frivolous cosmetic BS. 

All Gear, Cosmetic items, Mini's, Mounts, all of that, would be in the content, so, if you want it? Go play for it! 

Vip/Sub: Ok, I like DDO's system of ViP having perks, like for example, ViP can open any difficulty in dungeons, this is a huge perk. I would also set it up so that only ViP could bank EXP into leveling Tomes, and other various perks.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited February 2021
    Well , before speaking about gameplay mechanic , you need to build up the lore first .

Whatever mechanic you going to put in , it's pointless if you don't have a story to back it up.
    Compare to think about mechanic , build up the world of a game is the hardest part IMO .

normally it take years to build it up before you going to put them together.

As once wanabe tried to make a game , i find it hard to set up the enviroment

the mechanic are just a way for player to interact with the enviroments , the game world .

In most of the time , i lost interest in a game not because the mechanic is bad , but the world build was soulless.
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    iixviiiix said:
    Well , before speaking about gameplay mechanic , you need to build up the lore first .

Whatever mechanic you going to put in , it's pointless if you don't have a story to back it up.
    Compare to think about mechanic , build up the world of a game is the hardest part IMO .

normally it take years to build it up before you going to put them together.
    This is an epic point.

I believe it was HiveLeader that talked about the difference between Lore and Story.

In any case, I like the idea of having a slight "Starting" story, like how GW2 starts you off with a small story, that is unique to your race. Just the Opening tho, That first quest, like Norn's going out on the Great Hunt, and proving their mettle as a Slayer.

Out of all of them, the Sylvari, where you face a dragon in the dream, to show that you your path in life was to rise up and fight against the monsters of the world, one of many as it were. Or as a Norn Starting off as a Slayer, and I loved the feeling at the start, because it didn't feel like you were THE SLAYER, you were a A Slayer, one of many, those that would come before and after you.

While you still stood out as all hero's should, but, you were not the ONE, you were One of many.

At least at the start, then it goes all this way into you being this Great Commander of the Pact, king shit, the one and only and all that.. just campy stupid if you ask me.

But, Even when you joined the various Organizations, the Vigil, Priory, or Whispers, you were one of many that would join them.

So in that starting bit, just some parts of it, I loved. So I would try to adopt that kind of feel for each race, where you start out as .. exceptional but not unique.

As far as overall Lore Goes, I kinda like how DDO does it, where there is a story to the quest you are doing, sometimes it is a very standalone story, other times several packs and stories the lore is woven and intertwined with other stories, so IF you are paying attention you can piece together what is going on, but it is not shoved down your threat.

So you are part of something, but you are just a PART of it.

to Quote DDO on both views.

"Gold? Gems? Your Story Moves me Druid"

to

"The Prophecy and ME took him down"
    iixviiiixAlBQuirky

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    I actually do have a lot of ideas about how I would make the best damn MMO ever but I won't waste time trying to lay it out here.  But trust me...it would be awesome.  

Want to learn more?  Give me the two billion first and we'll talk.
    UngoodiixviiiixAlBQuirky
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited February 2021
    Ungood said:
    New World, as I heard was put on indefinite hold due to it being racist or something.
    Huh the new CEO said this spring.

https://news.yahoo.com/andy-jassy-committed-to-amazon-game-studios-213722395.html

Are you sure it is on hold? Can you link the source please?

Not being a spelling Nazi so sorry about this but for topics you create look for the gear icon on the top of your topic page I think top right and then edit your title and replace 'blue' with 'blew'. The gear icon is not in the usual place in your post but top right on your screen.
    UngoodAlBQuirky

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    lahnmir said:
    Chris Roberts and cohorts seem to disagree. They keep piling up piles of tiny details and features before actually presenting anything cohesive. It seems to work, many are fawning over feature 1107.xx without realizing they are still playing a technical demo.

Then again, they might actually burn through 2 billion before they deliver their Magnus Opus. Easier when its not your own money though.
    It's exactly the tiny details and features that make the game cohesive. :)
    AlBQuirky
    kitarad said:
    Ungood said:

https://news.yahoo.com/andy-jassy-committed-to-amazon-game-studios-213722395.html

Not being a spelling Nazi so sorry about this but for topics you create look for the gear icon on the top of your topic page I think top right and then edit your title and replace 'blue' with 'blew'. The gear icon is not in the usual place in your post but top right on your screen.
    Thanks, for the info about the gear.

To be honest, I just heard some stuff floating around, that there was some major issues with racism with the game.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/8/18216053/new-world-game-mmo-impressions-preview-colonization-controversy
    kitaradGdemamiAlBQuirky

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Ungood said:
    kitarad said:
    Ungood said:

To be honest, I just heard some stuff floating around, that there was some major issues with racism with the game.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/8/18216053/new-world-game-mmo-impressions-preview-colonization-controversy
    This is old and regarding the original idea with having North America as the New World and american natives as enemies.
    This is why they changed it to be on an island with the island/nature as enemy.

Nevertheless if they do not change the endgame a lot to be more sandboxy and to allow more people to participate in city sieges they will lose most people after a few months.
    I don't believe that they will fail, because a lot of people will buy it at release because of fomo.
    UngoodAlBQuirky[Deleted User]

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

Ungood said:
    kitarad said:
    Ungood said:

This is old and regarding the original idea with having North America as the New World and american natives as enemies.
    This is why they changed it to be on an island with the island/nature as enemy.

Nevertheless if they do not change the endgame a lot to be more sandboxy and to allow more people to participate in city sieges they will lose most people after a few months.
    I don't believe that they will fail, because a lot of people will buy it at release because of fomo.
    Thanks good to know, they still blue 2 billion, and don't technically have a game launched, when they do, I'll be glad to change my title, if you know, I am still alive, posting here, and have not opted to do something else with my time.. you understand.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky

Setting however, I would want to do High Fantasy Steam Punk. As I see it, there is just not enough Steam Punk settings for MMO's and they have such great grounds for a campaign setting.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I’d like to make a game set on an Earth sized world. Imagine pasting 100’s or 1000’s of server zones/chunks together into a single world. Take the foundation of your favourite game and tack on a couple billion worth of content.
    UngoodGdemamiAlBQuirkyAmaranthar

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2021
    If i was asked to build a game with little restriction on time and money then i would want to hire 3-5 skilled people to converse my ideas with,ask for feedback and listen to their own ideas.This would take likely 3-4 months to draw up the entire game design.I despise studios thjat just try to "wing it" on shoe string budegets.

I would build one of two design only,a mmorpg or a fully implemented space/travel/universe game.
    i have already seen really good ideas that work and done by very small teams so that is a place where i would begin to look .
    So let's say a mmorpg because a space /travel/universe like game is much bigger scope and would take a lot more work to build.

If i am in charge i am not concerned with big profits like all the greedy corps,i am concerned with making a small profit to keep things going,my main goal would be to make the best mmorpg ever.

no way could i draw up an entire HQ game in a forum but i can say that it would be part survival game part rpg and full of realism and interaction.

UngoodAlBQuirkyAmaranthar

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    First thought is I'd love to build my idea for a full virtual reality exo-suit. That alone may take all 2 billion.

If I had money left over, I'd then build games for that VR setup.

If the exo-suit idea isn't possible, I'd build a sandpark MMORPG set in Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Sage universe.

It's high fantasy which i love, the world is massive with loads of different races and cultures, perfect for long term. Whilst there are two alpha heroes (Pug and Tomas), most of the other characters are just pretty normal, making it a good setting for an mmo. The time scales are also really long in the books (think 9 years pass in the first book alone) which makes it easier to fit in with the game: just pick a period in the books and stay there til an expansion.

Loads of ideas about the systems I'd want in the game, but not much point writing them all out, would take many pages!
    UngoodGdemamiAlBQuirkyBrainy
    laserit said:
    I’d like to make a game set on an Earth sized world. Imagine pasting 100’s or 1000’s of server zones/chunks together into a single world. Take the foundation of your favourite game and tack on a couple billion worth of content.
    That sounds pretty cool.

Wizardry said:
    If i was asked to build a game with little restriction on time and money then i would want to hire 3-5 skilled people to converse my ideas with,ask for feedback and listen to their own ideas.This would take likely 3-4 months to draw up the entire game design.I despise studios thjat just try to "wing it" on shoe string budegets.

I would build one of two design only,a mmorpg or a fully implemented space/travel/universe game.
    i have already seen really good ideas that work and done by very small teams so that is a place where i would begin to look .
    So let's say a mmorpg because a space /travel/universe like game is much bigger scope and would take a lot more work to build.

If i am in charge i am not concerned with big profits like all the greedy corps,i am concerned with making a small profit to keep things going,my main goal would be to make the best mmorpg ever.

no way could i draw up an entire HQ game in a forum but i can say that it would be part survival game part rpg and full of realism and interaction.

It sounds like you would work from a solid foundation. Respected.
    Gdemami

First thought is I'd love to build my idea for a full virtual reality exo-suit. That alone may take all 2 billion.

If I had money left over, I'd then build games for that VR setup.

If the exo-suit idea isn't possible, I'd build a sandpark MMORPG set in Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Sage universe.

It's high fantasy which i love, the world is massive with loads of different races and cultures, perfect for long term. Whilst there are two alpha heroes (Pug and Tomas), most of the other characters are just pretty normal, making it a good setting for an mmo. The time scales are also really long in the books (think 9 years pass in the first book alone) which makes it easier to fit in with the game: just pick a period in the books and stay there til an expansion.

Loads of ideas about the systems I'd want in the game, but not much point writing them all out, would take many pages!
    There was a Force-Feedback VR suit on Kickstarter, so you could work with them, and see what has been done. Pretty cool stuff.

I am wagering Riftwars is a Book series? I am not sure, it could be an Anime, or something else.
    AlBQuirky

Rhoklaw said:
    Creating ideas for a game is not hard, but implementing them is. You have to have people who know how to make those ideas into reality and that is where the money comes into play. You want real talented game designers, you're going to have to learn to shred some of that CEO earnings and pay your developers more than $50,000 a year.

Jon Smedley isn't a game designer, he's a CEO. He will take credit for helping design EverQuest, but his actual level of participation has always been strictly administrative. I don't think he has a creative bone in his body, but he does care about earning money, which Amazon apparently has tons of.

Jeff Bezos net worth as of 2021 is $185 billion. Of course he just recently stepped down as CEO, but even if 2 billion were just a drop in the bucket, it's still cringeworthy to think even Smedley couldn't create a viable product with that amount of money.

Minecraft was created by one person with very little money and eventually sold for billions. So, if you want to spend 2 billion on making games, you should hire a game designer, not some bureaucratic moron who doesn't have a clue in game design.

Game design requires passion, not money. However, money does help to speed the process along.
    Well this form is not lacking in passion, that is for sure, which is why I asked here.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    The game I would make for me and my tastes will not sell at all well in today's market. I'd rather buy an island somewhere :)
    Tell me about it anyway.
    A strategic combat game with a lot of XCom fights. Pirate101 tried this, but was not very good at explaining exactly what a player can do in one turn. There would be "normal WASD" movement out of combat, but once combat is joined in, turn based.

The setting I'm unsure about. Almost anything would work for me, but I do tend to lean more towards fantasy settings. I like "magic."

I do enjoy crafting and wouldn't mind a game with a heavy dose of intricate crafting modules. I also enjoy exploring so an "Earth based" setting would be kind of boring, knowing our Earth. I also enjoy home building and/or city building. Creating a home to live in is a worthwhile goal for me.

I doubt if either PvP or raids would be included. If they did show up, it would be for other players, not me. Also, true RNG would not be used so that 4 shots at 90%+ in a row are missed, as XCom has too frequently.

That's a start. More as I think more on it :)
    Ungood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR