Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Complete Review from New World Preview

2»

Comments

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    I tested last night LMB spam attack with a friend

After the second hit, he dodged out of the way, like mobs do if they have space

Definetly a L2P issue, seems
    bcbully
    edited September 2020
    Another thing I love about this game, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned it until now...
    The way they managed "stealth", the always a bit OP features in other MMORPGs.
    It's like it was in Darkfall, one of the few things that game did well

About the agro, I like as it is now.

If you shoot a wolf or a zombie, would it run straight to you avoiding all other players? Or would it just attack the first humie they see?

I find it realistic
  • MacpeteoMacpeteo Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    remsleep said:

So make aggro more sticky towards the original player who aggros - and make it a bit harder to train other players, but don't remove the mechanic

Just my 2c
    Thing is, even if the original player SHOOTS the mob, the mob still will randomly go to anyone nearby, even people doing absolutely nothing. This is retarded, the mob should hold a grudge against the one who just hurt him and who is the greatest threat.

The actual state is just completely stupid.

And I don't have any EQ1 nostalgia so I couldn't care less that it was like that back then, everything old is not good ;)

I totally disagree, strongly disagree! Mobs are not your friend, they are not there just to kill whoever aggressively them, they are there to kill everyone. I find it refreshing that an AI thinks for itself and goes after whatever enemy is closest, non of this wow bs of a tank keep all aggro so everyone can beat on it, or in this case, a mob blindly chasing a player just because they hit it first.

Yes, it’s not good for a player to grif other players but on the other hand you are playing an open world mmo, stop crying about other players being jerks, it happens, will happen and you can only do so much to stop it (if anything).  But whatever you do, don’t change the behavior of aggro, love this, very refreshing to see in game.

Also, it maybe that that other player got over his/her skies and was just running away in the most expedient way for them.

its all good bro, just play the game, take the good with the bad, roll with the punches.

muthax
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    remsleep said:
    A major problem (for me) that I've seen nobody mention here is the mob agro system. It's obvious it was designed with a PvP game in mind, but for non flagged players it's just an instrument of griefing or general ability to let your stupidity negatively affect everybody around you.
    I've had people abuse that system to lure mobs on me while I was gathering, it's quite frequent near oil spots for instance.
    Yesterday afternoon I was in a level 25ish temple with those harder "elite" undead mobs (ancients), and some level 14 moron was running around away from those mobs he obviously can't kill, luring them on everybody else who was legitimately questing in the place. I had to flee to and start all over since there was no way I could survive 10+ of those mobs alone.

My opinion is that they must remove this for PvE players, and not automatically add everyone on the path to the mob's threat list. Also, make it so that a level 14 can't so easily run away from level 25 elite mobs, making him able to grief with little risk for himself. Some temple seriously lack archers or caster mobs to stop that behavior.
    I actually really love the aggro mechanic - and train mechanic (this was such a staple of early EQ1 combat)

Yes it can be abused to all hell (pull a bunch of mobs, run towards a player - dash away with staff - watch player get mobbed)

To me this adds an element of having to be on your toes and just not take non-flagged status for granted.

If you take away the risk of being trained by other players - PvE just becomes way too safe and ... boring (for me)

Since campfires (respawn points) can be setup close to landmark/grind areas, even if you get trained and die, it's a pretty minor thing 

In EQ1 getting mobs trained on you could mean a 30min+ run back to your corpse

So I say don't get rid of current aggro mechanic

Now having said all that - the way mobs aggro needs to make "more sense" - instead of just randomly going from one player to another - so that I agree with

So make aggro more sticky towards the original player who aggros - and make it a bit harder to train other players, but don't remove the mechanic

Just my 2c

Just my 2c

Kano used to say that all the time , type exactly like that also ..

I miss Kano ...................................ohhh wait nv/m

[Deleted User]SovrathmuthaxYashaX
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited September 2020
    Scorchien said:
    remsleep said:
    A major problem (for me) that I've seen nobody mention here is the mob agro system. It's obvious it was designed with a PvP game in mind, but for non flagged players it's just an instrument of griefing or general ability to let your stupidity negatively affect everybody around you.
    I've had people abuse that system to lure mobs on me while I was gathering, it's quite frequent near oil spots for instance.
    Yesterday afternoon I was in a level 25ish temple with those harder "elite" undead mobs (ancients), and some level 14 moron was running around away from those mobs he obviously can't kill, luring them on everybody else who was legitimately questing in the place. I had to flee to and start all over since there was no way I could survive 10+ of those mobs alone.

My opinion is that they must remove this for PvE players, and not automatically add everyone on the path to the mob's threat list. Also, make it so that a level 14 can't so easily run away from level 25 elite mobs, making him able to grief with little risk for himself. Some temple seriously lack archers or caster mobs to stop that behavior.
    I actually really love the aggro mechanic - and train mechanic (this was such a staple of early EQ1 combat)

Yes it can be abused to all hell (pull a bunch of mobs, run towards a player - dash away with staff - watch player get mobbed)

To me this adds an element of having to be on your toes and just not take non-flagged status for granted.

If you take away the risk of being trained by other players - PvE just becomes way too safe and ... boring (for me)

Since campfires (respawn points) can be setup close to landmark/grind areas, even if you get trained and die, it's a pretty minor thing 

Now having said all that - the way mobs aggro needs to make "more sense" - instead of just randomly going from one player to another - so that I agree with

Just my 2c

Just my 2c

I think nobody is fooled anyway ;)

Every time he posts I've just excepted the idea that it's Kano in a new android skin. If it's not they used the same program and are a suitable replacement.
    Sovrathmuthax
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Scorchien said:
    remsleep said:

Just my 2c

Just my 2c

I think nobody is fooled anyway ;)
    Why did he "disappear"? Damn I actually used to agree a lot with him :(
  • MacpeteoMacpeteo Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    Macpeteo said:
    remsleep said:

Just my 2c
    Thing is, even if the original player SHOOTS the mob, the mob still will randomly go to anyone nearby, even people doing absolutely nothing. This is retarded, the mob should hold a grudge against the one who just hurt him and who is the greatest threat.

The actual state is just completely stupid.

And I don't have any EQ1 nostalgia so I couldn't care less that it was like that back then, everything old is not good ;)

I totally disagree, strongly disagree! Mobs are not your friend, they are not there just to kill whoever aggressively them, they are there to kill everyone. I find it refreshing that an AI thinks for itself and goes after whatever enemy is closest, non of this wow bs of a tank keep all aggro so everyone can beat on it, or in this case, a mob blindly chasing a player just because they hit it first.

Yes, it’s not good for a player to grif other players but on the other hand you are playing an open world mmo, stop crying about other players being jerks, it happens, will happen and you can only do so much to stop it (if anything).  But whatever you do, don’t change the behavior of aggro, love this, very refreshing to see in game.

Also, it maybe that that other player got over his/her skies and was just running away in the most expedient way for them.

its all good bro, just play the game, take the good with the bad, roll with the punches.

Ever heard of AI ? Not sure...
    Any semi-sentient being will kill the highest threat first, not the innocent bystander when they get hit and hurt by another one.

And I don't remember "crying" as you say. I was playing UO 25 years ago and trust me, getting full looted of everything you had by another player makes you quite cry-resilient. I just find that in a PvE setting, it's just a griefing tool, not a good mechanic like it would be in a FFA PvP 

Speaking of AI, you want a mob that will chase the person that slapped it, even tho it may not catch it over an AI that wants to kill whatever is closest, Which one is smarter?

in wow, witch u would like, the AI is dumb, it chases the player till out of range, than runs back and you can’t aggro it till it resets, great, go play wow
    muthax
  • PhaltielSPhaltielS Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Great review, thanks for the effort
  • BallantinesBallantines Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Thanks for the massive review! Damn things seem pretty bleak >.>.