Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Releases their First Newsletter of 2021 - Talks Realms and Races | MMORPG.com

124»

Comments

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    Scot said:
    Wizardry said:
    [...]
    Let me put it this way,NOTHING he shows us is factual gameplay unless it is actual realistic GAME PLAY,with actual players and actual realistic scenes and not some prefabbed scene with a few repeated/duplicated assets.
    I agree with you that they aren't showing enough gameplay to non-backers (in the forums we're seeing 1000+ ARCs videos, Cherry Keep sieges, backers' published in-game videos, etc.). The last gameplay video they've posted publicly was this one, which is 2 years old (starts at 19:00) : 
    Two years old?! This is why that huge question mark is there, players do not expect huge leaps every time they make a video, just a demonstration that work is being done. SC does this, too much in my opinion, but you do need at least couple of videos a year.
    When the studio is satisfied with their forest biome I hope they'll showcase some PvP in this environment.
    KyleranUngood
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Torval said:
    Scot said:

Can you give us examples of lies you accuse the studio of?

Pulling up a chair and grabbing some popcorn.

Puts out a couple of Cokes on the table to share and takes a bowl of that fine looking popcorn.

Waits for some good arguments why manually processing anything of this magnitude in a professional business project isn't worthy of scathing criticism and rebuke. Taking notes! :lol:

Apparently, no one in the entire organization under Mark Jacobs was trustworthy enough to trust with refunds.  What does that say about both MJ and CSE?
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    edited February 2021
    Torval said:
    Scot said:

Puts out a couple of Cokes on the table to share and takes a bowl of that fine looking popcorn.

Waits for some good arguments why manually processing anything of this magnitude in a professional business project isn't worthy of scathing criticism and rebuke. Taking notes! :lol:

Apparently, no one in the entire organization under Mark Jacobs was trustworthy enough to trust with refunds.  What does that say about both MJ and CSE?
    It has nothing to do with actual Trust. My job was a foreman on site, and while my boss trusted me to not only make, but also sign off on multi million dollar purchase orders, I never once had to process a refund or return, that was that the accountants did.

Sometimes it's just an issue of "Not your job"
    francis_baud
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited February 2021
    Ungood said:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:

It has nothing to do with actual Trust. My job was a foreman on site, and while my boss trusted me to not only make, but also sign off on multi million dollar purchase orders, I never once had to process a refund or return, that was that the accountants did.

I do have to chime in and say it is weird that the head of a studio is personally doing refunds.  Of all the time management issues going on, is he validating employee parking too?  

I'm just saying, that is just so confusing that it isn't delegated.  Unless he doesn't contribute much day to day at this point?

When you read him on Massively threads... he says stuff like, sorry, couldn't get into the office to process more refunds.  It's like a Mom and Pop business.
    Kyleran[Deleted User][Deleted User]Scot
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Ungood said:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:

I do have to chime in and say it is weird that the head of a studio is personally doing refunds.  Of all the time management issues going on, is he validating employee parking too?  

I'm just saying, that is just so confusing that it isn't delegated.  Unless he doesn't contribute much day to day at this point?

When you read him on Massively threads... he says stuff like, sorry, couldn't get into the office to process more refunds.  It's like a Mom and Pop business.
    Well I suppose if they just have devs and artists working on the game then MJ would by default be the best person to deal with shitty non-production related stuff like this.
    YashaX said:
    Ungood said:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:

Well I suppose if they just have devs and artists working on the game then MJ would by default be the best person to deal with shitty non-production related stuff like this.
    Is there an accountant in the house? ;)
    [Deleted User]
    edited February 2021
    Torval said:
    Ungood said:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:

So the CEO of your construction company did the accountant work? What were you a 5 person mom and pop op? Because that is what is happening here. The accountants (if there are any) aren't doing that apparently. The CEO is doing it all. The above points by myself and Mighty Unclean stand.
    Hey, MJ uses Taxpro... and manually enters every receipt... including employee taxi fare.  I'm sure he is also the HR person too, and the janitor... spotless bowls  :D
    [Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Torval said:
    Ungood said:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:

So the CEO of your construction company did the accountant work? What were you a 5 person mom and pop op? Because that is what is happening here. The accountants (if there are any) aren't doing that apparently. The CEO is doing it all. The above points by myself and Mighty Unclean stand.
    Actually, I've worked for small businesses with 30 or so employees (CU doesn't have more than 50 I'm guessing) and it isn't unusual for the owners (stop calling them CEOs, that's a big corporate title) to keep a tight hand on who can sign the checks to actually spend money.

More than one business has taken it in the chin hard or even failed because they trusted the wrong person to handle to money.

I'm not surprised he has to be the one to "push the button" on giving refunds, after all, by all accounts he's put a large amount of his own money into this endeavor.

I recall a story a few years back where a company's CFO embezzled $4M from his employer, and quickly spent $2M on a mobile game. (That one Arnold S used to promote)

francis_baudYashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Ungood said:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:

Actually, I've worked for small businesses with 30 or so employees (CU doesn't have more than 50 I'm guessing) and it isn't unusual for the owners (stop calling them CEOs, that's a big corporate title) to keep a tight hand on who can sign the checks to actually spend money.

More than one business has taken it in the chin hard or even failed because they trusted the wrong person to handle to money.

I'm not surprised he has to be the one to "push the button" on giving refunds, after all, by all accounts he's put a large amount of his own money into this endeavor.

I recall a story a few years back where a company's CFO embezzled $4M from his employer, and quickly spent $2M on a mobile game. (That one Arnold S used to promote)
    Yes, it is not the personal authorisation that surprises me, it is the way he is doing that. Surely there is someone in accounts who presents a detailed list and he would sign of on that, not the CEO looking at every individual claimant, checking the banking details and pushing the button. Does he open the post as well?
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited February 2021
    He does delegate many tasks but he still decide, at times, to produce, design, manage community, recruit new developers, etc. on top of being CEO and Creative Director.

YashaX said:
    They have a Director of HR (who helps with the refund requests), a community manager, an associate producer and a producer (who is also lead audio designer).

Kyleran said:
    Yea parts of the refund process (answering emails, asking for personal information and transaction ID, transmitting the info to Mark, etc.) are done by an employee, but the refund itself (which takes about 15 minutes) is done manually by Mark. They've refunded more than $400,000 since November 2019 so it's not small money and I can understand how he would like to keep control over that.

Post edited by francis_baud on
    YashaX
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Ungood said:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:

That is certainly a testament that many small businesses are poorly run and businesses of any size are subject to theft and fraud from poor oversight. No wonder so many fail.

But again, he's doing more than just supervising and approving, he's manually processing each one like this is 1944. It is definitely possible to run a tight ship while still delegating jobs and tasks to the appropriate people and providing executive oversight. Micro-management and inefficient management are likely why this project is closing in on being a decade overdue.

They took the payments electronically, where is the automation to refund the payments electronically?  Even if you're going to use a single authority, don't neglect automation.

That has created a single point of failure.

[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.